GEICO Employee Reviews in United States

Found 1,318 reviews matching the search
Overall an Excellent Company
CUSTOMER SERVICE REPRESENTATIVE (Current Employee) –  Macon, GAMarch 3, 2016
GEICO has very high standards of its employees. You must prove yourself to be proficient from the time of your interview throughout your time with the company. The pay and benefits are exceptional. I've learned an immense amount about auto insurance, and the management staff is usually supportive. My biggest reservation is the company's dependability standard, which requires employees to be at 97% or higher for attendance, and does NOT take into consideration doctor's notes, even for emergencies. Missing a TOTAL of 7 days out of an entire year can put you in jeopardy and limit your opportunities for advancement or even switching shifts. Overall though, I definitely recommend the company if you are motivated.
Great Opportunity for growth and advancement!
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INDecember 30, 2015
Great company to be employed. Support at work is present through any issues and opportunities to develop skills are available. Management is fairly great with their coaching and experience tips. Culture is not always family oriented as explained and it is easy for groups to form. However, overall great company with many opportunities to advance into management and grow within the company. Work life balance is better than most big companies and understanding to specific situations. Only true con is the dependability requirements and no grace period at all with breaks, arriving, and lunch.
Pros
Facility, staff, resources, and skills taught.
Cons
Lunch, breaks, dependability requirements, and culture at times.
Great work environment; high stress
CLAIMS ADJUSTER (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZMarch 23, 2016
Management is awesome, and everyone there is really friendly. Co-workers really feel more like family than just other associates. The pay is good to start, and you have a lot of opportunities for raises. Hardest part of the job is just knowing how to stay on top of your tasks. You are busy every minute of your shift. There is never any down time. If you enjoy high call volume with an addition of working on desktop tasks at the same time, then this is the place for you!
high stess/no support
Claims Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Buffalo, NYFebruary 18, 2016
worked there for about 2 years in claims in buffalo, ny office. dreaded work most days. the job itself was easy, but the culture is terrible. most of my colleagues were just as unhappy as me. mgmt asks "how the culture is", leads me to believe they either dont pay attention to the discontent of the workers, or they are just so out of touch. you choose which is worse..... any associate above entry level phone position is focused solely on their own advancement. by this i mean the supervisors and mgmt. sups never want to take a call when they are asked for or a challenging call. monthly "goals" are semi attainable. promotion process is a joke. way to few claims agents for quantities of calls. the best thing about the office was that the RVP Rick Hoagland was actually a really nice and personable guy, who would make me feel like an individual, not just one of the herd. Ironic since every other sup/manager there is horrendous. Kudos to Rick. Too bad the top guy is not a reflection of the entire mgmt staff. 401k was a plus, profit sharing was a plus, co workers (non mgmt) were a plus
Pros
pay, job security as long as you meet your numbers
Cons
stress, horrible sups/mgmt, too few employees, rating system
Cubicle style office setting with goal focused management
Service Representative IV (Current Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VANovember 21, 2015
GEICO is an excellent place to work as far as monetary compensation and benefits. They are well above what other companies in the area are able to offer for similar positions in most cases. However, the job is very stressful, and along with any increase in salary and promotions comes steeply increased goals in which simple errors or mistakes can cause deep impacts to your "monthly rating". Its very easy to get stuck in a rut and let the stress of the position and department goals get to you. If you can overcome this - GEICO is an excellent place to work.
Pros
Cafeteria, Starbucks, Gym in office. Excellent benefits/pay structure. Room for advancement.
Cons
Upper management has a major focus on goals and tends to forget that workers are "people", Parking issues
Good job, but worker beware.
Emergency Road Service Dispatcher I (Former Employee) –  Macon, GADecember 27, 2015
The only MAIN thing I didn't like about working at Geico was the type of customers you had to deal with. Understandably these people were already very upset with their situation, and often will take it out on the person they are speaking with on the phone. Job advancement was VERY hard. You had to have a certain rating (at least ranked a 3 with the ranking system from 1 to 5) that was partially luck based and otherwise hard to meet. Luck came in with the fact that your grade depends on which calls get recorded, and also the fact that customer satisfaction surveys were a part of your grade. Customers don't understand this, and will also rank you poorly for things that are not your fault (i.e. a failure on the tow company's end, such as coming later than they said they would or generally poor service on their part).
Other than that the job was great. You get a guaranteed number of hours, two breaks, the management is MORE than reasonable with you. The job will just start to wear you down after a while.
Pros
Two breaks(15 and 30 minutes), Benefits
Cons
Micromanagement, Stressful job nature
Good Benefits
Senior Technical Instructor (Former Employee) –  Chevy Chase, MDJanuary 16, 2016
GEICO is GEICO. It has excellent benefits, and work/life balance. They were trying to move to a web-based business model when I worked for them, and were successful in doing that, even though Management did not understand the technology they were implementing. This is turn, caused repeated rejection of necessary change protocols on the work floor,and dramatically impacted the rollout itself. They were responsive once they saw the results.
Bamboozled place to work
Claims Adjuster (Former Employee) –  Macon, GAJanuary 15, 2016
If you work for Geico Insurance, you are sure not to have a personal life, and no job security or protection. This company allows the customers to get away with cursing at you, calling you out of your name for no apparent reason, whether you are helping out a teammate or handling your own claims

Management is so scattered brain, they change rules and regulations everyday, and most days they literally make up requirements for that day on the spot. They serve as no protection for customers verbally attacking you, they way they handle it, it is as if they have no problem with it because they are the customer. With that being said we are still human beings who are trying to help them, it is not appreciated by managements or customers.
You are rewarded for extremely hard work
Representative (Former Employee) –  IndyMarch 3, 2016
Love working at Geico. It is not a walk in the park as they describe during orientation, or so I thought. But they dangle awesome carrots in front of you that are difficult to obtain. But the hard work does pay off if you are one of the lucky ones. Obviously the hours are not great starting out, but the company makes up for it in pay and in offering great perks.
Pros
Great benefits, perks and great pay for entry level positions
Cons
Long hours, days you work and the work can be difficult starting out
Licensed Customer Service Rep Carmel/Indianapolis Indiana
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Carmel, INFebruary 6, 2016
I worked for the company for 2 years. I accepted the job with a promise to be off the call center phones within 6mos. I was also promised due to it being a new office there would be extreme opportunity for advancement. I had almost 20 yrs of customer service, sales, call center experience. 2 years later I resigned with medical issue due to this job. Issues that I had never experienced in life. My doctor had me on 5 different medications.......all due to the stress on the job. Nothing worked. The numbers that you were required to obtain & KEEP, constant listening, daily feedback & going over numbers. Those numbers better look great or you are unable to apply for other jobs. I had countless interviews just to hear do this, do that & reapply. Once you did what was required & reapplied the answers seemed to be we applogize but we already chose someone from our region. The pay is ok & annual bonuses are great but you only receive half in cash & half goes to your 401k. If you haven't worked the company for more than 5 yrs then you lose the money once you quit. Management was a joke. They acted supportive but you caught them in lies & standing around talking about everyones business out loud. No confidentially
Pros
Ok pay & perfect hours after a couple of months
Cons
Management, opportunity for advancement & STRESS!!!
Great People to Work around; Some Departments lack within
Engineer Technician (Former Employee) –  Chevy Chase, MDFebruary 4, 2016
Geico overall, was a great place to work. The culture of Geico was rich, people great, always finding it hard to leave after a shift because of all the co-worker/friends you wanted to catch up with before heading home. I really do miss working there.

However, some departments lacked in various ways. Being a low cost provider seems like they meant "less people for less money in departments." which seemed most unfair. Geico must do better in this area.
Pros
Culture; People; Location
Cons
Management, Low Cost provider mentality
Job stability and great benefits
Sr. Application Systems Analyst (Current Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VASeptember 15, 2015
I've worked at GEICO for 22 years....so it can't be bad, right? Actually, I really like it. The job culture is quite different from most companies and I've noticed it takes some time for new hires to get used to it. I think the atmosphere for IT folks is a little more high pressure than what some people are used to, but that is why GEICO is such a successful company. The benefits are outstanding....great health insurance, 401K, etc. After you have worked here for a while it really feels like a family. Management is Meh...but, that's probably the case with a lot of places. Overall, I would recommend working at GEICO.
Pros
benefits, job security
Cons
no voice with upper management, strict sick leave policy
Productive and fun workplace.
Data Scientist R developer (Current Employee) –  New YorkApril 6, 2016
Nice company to work. Good work culture .Stability. Co workers are so good. Work life balance is good.
Company has good infrastructure.
Pros
Stability
Cons
Salary Hike
Great Pay
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INApril 4, 2016
The pay is great, the stress is extreme. Performance based so you better get your numbers up! Company is trying but still needs serious management help. Management says they are willing to help and want to hear your thoughts, but yet won't do anything when you enlighten them of the problems.
Pros
Benefits, pay, stability, training, great experience
Cons
stressful, call center, boring, same job over and over again, young managers, no organization
Steady job with some room for advancement
Insurance Agent (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAOctober 10, 2015
A typical day at work as an insurance sales agent involves taking approximately 50 inbound phone calls from customers across the nation.
I was licensed in 49 states to sell insurance, all but Hawaii. We sold products from multiple companies through the agency and worked on multiple types of contracts including, but not limited to homeowners and renters insurance.
There is room for advancement into management. Most people that work at GEICO have held many positions and worked in numerous departments. You can advance quickly.
This is a call center, so expect some strict management expectations. GEICO is all about managing behavior to achieve desired metrics. You will be held accountable for your actions.
The benefits package is unsurpassed. The job can become monotonous if you do not like repetition.
Pros
Benefits package and profit sharing
Cons
micromanagement and unprofessional peers
GEICO is old school
Sr. Business Analyst (Consultant) (Former Employee) –  Chevy Chase, MDJanuary 20, 2016
GEICO is no doubt the best auto insurance company. But the overall work environment is very old school just like the management.

They know how to get the job done and they also give good compensation to their employees. But if you are a contractor then you will face a hard time getting access to a lot of stuff.

GEICO stick to their old working policy with some new techniques added to it.

Overall, its a good place to work.
Pros
Stability, Experienced Employees, Cafeteria, Indoor Games
Cons
Building, Work Station, Elevators
Great place to work with good benefits
Insurance Sales Agent (Former Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VAJanuary 7, 2016
GEICO is the best company I have ever had a chance to work for. The training that I received in order to become a licensed sales professional was top notch and each employee conducted themselves in a very professional manner. The management staff is fully committed to making each agent the best that they can be and will make sure they take the time to help you with any of your needs. I think the hardest part of the job was learning excellent time management skills and how to deal with difficult customers and not let them effect the rest of your day. The most enjoyable part of the job was the atmosphere on the sales floor. Each agent is happy to come to work and almost always have smiles on their faces. The sales floor is a very active and ever changing environment and there is always some type of competition going on and a chance to win a prize for doing well at your job. Overall, the company makes it a very enjoyable work place and the benefits are hard to find these days I would definitely recommend GEICO as a place to work to family and friends.
Pros
Healthcare, 401K, Fast Paced Environment
Liability Claims Representative (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAMarch 2, 2016
GEICO has a lot of great benefits and compensation. I was working in a growing office so there was a lot of room for advancement. The only downside is you just really have to have A LOT of patience for the customers you will have to deal with over the phone (I was a Liability Claims Rep).
Pros
Great compensation, benefits, work schedule, and coworkers
Cons
Customer service and work load
Good pay and Benefits. High call volumes
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAFebruary 15, 2016
Excellent employer with great rewards and benefits. Great potential for advancement. Phone centers operate on set shifts. Agents are provided continuous coaching and guidance to achieve success. Hardest part of the job is maintaining consistent customer interaction especially during high call volumes.
Pros
Good pay and incentives
Cons
Short breaks. High call volumes.
Good environment
Service Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Amherst, NYApril 3, 2016
great place to work with a number of benefits, love the atmosphere provided by the management team. The hardest part about the job is the volume of calls per day, but it can also be the most exciting. Talking to numerous people can really excite you!