GEICO

GEICO Employee Reviews

Stressful environment
AUTO INSURANCE SPECIALIST (Current Employee), Getzville, NYJuly 28, 2015
Fast paced always changing which not hard to keep up with, however the stress within the company is overwhelming at times.

There are goals which are completely unobtainable and the support from employee's around you and supervisors is not consistent.

Geico also advertises move up opportunities, but yet again almost all opportunities are lateral moves. With this company you are not going anywhere fast.
Fast paced and stressful work environment
Billing Technician (Former Employee), Macon, GAJuly 26, 2015
Pros: Great support
Cons: Short breaks and personal time, call volume was too high for the amount of people working
I loved my supervisors, management, and coworker. However the daily dealings with customers was stressful, and unhealthy for me. A typical day was come in start computer and phone systems, gather my work information and start receiving calls. The calls would range from postponing and making payments, to help customers with payment arrangements or relay the news that we would be unable to give them extensions, and fax policy documents and help facilitate refunds. The hardest part of the job was when customers would call in so upset that they were not in a place to listen to the solutions available – more... and so I was left on the line with people screaming at me because they were not in the state of mind to listen to the solutions available and just wanted someone to be combative with. For me this is difficult because I love to help people and when I am trying to help someone and they are not just being rude, but unreasonable about a situation the company gave the employees no protocol to follow to get out of the situation. The most enjoyable part of my job was the corporate environment, they truly value their employees and showed it with free lunches, contests to motivate, and random drawings for prizes such as tickets to sporting events and concerts. – less
Great Place to work
Professional Agent (Current Employee), Norfolk, VAJuly 25, 2015
Love the promotional opportunities. You're afforded with awesome training to excel and advance within the organization. This is a friendly work environment.
Great entry level job
Salvage Claims Specialist (Former Employee), Macon, GAJuly 22, 2015
If you are looking for good pay and benefits this is a great company to work for. Just make sure you are placed in the department that best suits your personality.
I LOVED working for this company
Licensed Insurance Agent (Former Employee), Indianapolis, INJuly 21, 2015
I enjoyed working for Geico. I just realized that I have a hard time working in a call center environment. The people were great, the management was great and the pay is great as well.. Really great company
Excellent Employer
Sales Representative III (Former Employee), San Diego, CAJuly 16, 2015
Pros: Management, flexible hours
Cons: Time is micromanaged
The only downside to working at Geico is the intense time management. The hours are flexible and it is a very positive work environment. The benefits are excellent as well.
great place to work
Telephone Claims Representative (Current Employee), Woodbury, NYJuly 15, 2015
I love the ways the company promote great team morale. Everyone is extremely helpful and we do our part in executing all claims in a fair and efficient manner.
Would not recommend.
Liability Claims Representative (Former Employee), San DiegoJuly 14, 2015
Pros: 45 min lunch, 2 15 minute breaks. Profit Sharing
Cons: management.
People are constantly mad at you. The workload is never ending and management expects too much without realizing how understaffed the department is. The turnover is way too high and it's their own fault.

I have a friend who left to another company in the same position and he enjoys it a lot more. I would jump ship but I do not want to work a position like this anymore.
Life in insurance
Telephone Claims Representative (Current Employee), Macon, GAJuly 13, 2015
Pros: Job advancement
Cons: High Stress and repetative
GEICO, as a company, has a long way to go with balancing the world of home and work. Some positions, they higher in the company you go, require more than 40 hrs. a week. The company benefits are not enough to fully compensate you for what they put you through but are just enough so you can't leave. Overall morale is poor. Home Office constantly puts more and more constraints on how you do your job and how much you have to do - adding and adding, showing that no one who is making the rules ever had to sit at a desk and do the job themselves.
Professional yet personable work environment
Clains Service Representative (Former Employee), Macon, GAJuly 10, 2015
Pros: Benefits and profit sharing
Cons: Cafeteria closing early and on weekends
The hardest part was a customer in an accident for the first time and upset about injuries. The best part was helping that customer and knowing they were taken care of and understood procedure.

Management was always willing to help or explain anything you needed as well as any coworker.

I learned about insurance procedures and how to effectively take care of all concerns.
Decent workplace that will be what you make of it.
Liability Claims Adjuster (Current Employee), Macon, GAJuly 9, 2015
A typical day at work consists of taking 10 to 20 calls and making 30 to 40 calls. You come in and review new claims and activities that require immediate attention. The rest of the day you will work self-scheduled activities and anything overdue. All coworkers I have had have been nice people. The job is what you make of it.
GREAT PAY, ATMOSPHERE, AND CULTURE
Sales Representative (Former Employee), Macon, GAJuly 7, 2015
Pros: GREAT BENEFITS, GREAT PAY, INCENTIVES
Cons: SHORT BREAKS, HARD TO GET DAYS OFF
CALL CENTER ENVIROMENT. ENCOURAGING COWORKERS AND MANAGEMENT. HARDEST PART OF JOB IS BEING ON PHONE FOR 8 HOURS A DAY WITH SHORT BREAKS.
Pleasant place to work with excellent benefits.
Insurance Service Agent I (Former Employee), Coralville, IAJuly 5, 2015
Cons: q
Fast pace position that requires multiple skill sets to preform job duties. I enjoyed the position as well as my co-workers. The only downside to this job is that its a corporate company and i was made to feel like I was just a number and that my thoughts and opinions werent valid/.
Excellent work enviroment
Customer Service Rep (Current Employee), Scranton, PAJuly 3, 2015
Geico has been one of my best places to work. Fun work place with supportive management. Co workers felt more like family.
horrible
Insurance Agent (Former Employee), Fredericksburg, VAJuly 3, 2015
The pay and the benefits are great but the job is awful. You are graded on a lot of metrics which causes ridiculous amounts of stress. They dont care about you as a person nor do they care if your children are sick. I pinched a nerve in my leg and my doctor required for my desk to be raised to standing height and they wouldnt raise my desk because of some office run around bs so my doctor would not sign my paperwork so that i could return to work. I then received a certified letter on the 15th stating that my doctor needed to sign the attached form by the 14th (see the problem there) and when I called to see what could be done HR tells me no its too late we sent it on the 9th so you had to have gotten it before then and they went ahead and signed my "voluntary termination form" for me. I dont know about anyone else but that didnt sound "voluntary" to me. It was very unfair to be treated that way after being a top agent for this company for a year and a half. I would never reccomend this company to anyone.
Valuable experience for young adults
Insurance Agent (Auto Service) (Former Employee), Virginia Beach, VAJuly 1, 2015
Pros: Company Culture, Marketable Trade, Benefits, Flexibility
Not only does GEICO provide a great opportunity for employment, they provide the means to fruitful career. Whether, you're young and looking for an entry-level position or have 20 plus years experience in a particular field, you'll find your niche at GEICO. The company culture is second to none, especially considering the size of regional offices and the large quantity of employees. I would highly recommend GEICO to young adults looking for that first "real job". You'll be treated like a professional, and you'll make decent money. It's a great opportunity to really gain some independence and mature. The supervisors and managers are extremely supportive. It's literally a perfect job for a young adult. You'll be provided with a marketable trade, and great benefits packages as well.
Worst job culture for advancement. High stress expectations of employees.
Licensed Auto Insurance Counselor (Former Employee), Fredericksburg, VAJuly 1, 2015
Pros: Get to meet nice smart coworkers.
Cons: Fear based call center culture promoted by supervisors & managers.
Each pod of employees in the Customer Service Department (about 10-12 employees) has a supervisor who oversees your calls and statistics. Geico expects normal people to hussle with high time efficiency and high accuracy to ever-changing rules and regulations (up to ten per week) that are initiated by management (NOT BY STATE INSURANCE COMMISSION). So nearly all of these rules are highly arbitrary. Not complying to the rules (even on the day that they are put in place) can create a low score on your calls, depending on your supervisor.

Management "gates" the calls that the computer sends – more... your way. If management wants you to have a high "A-call" score for the week and/or month, they will gate you for a lot of billing calls, which are quick and easy. Your future is entirely at the whim of management. If you are lucky enough to land a job in another department at Geico, it will only be for the same pay or less, rarely at a significantly improved pay rate.

If you are sick for more than two days per six month period, your dependability scores become less than acceptable, and in conjunction with average A-call scores, you will be placed on a two-month performance plan (PIP), after which management has the option of firing you. Employees disappear and are replaced in a constant flow.

During the months of December, January, and half of February, Geico management encourages the firing of employees that are not desired (even for arbitrary supervisor reasons -- some supervisors make a point of firing those who complain to HR). Some people are even fired on "ghost calls" (fake calls that are specifically designed to make you mess up). The result of these firings is that the annual profit sharing does not go to the fired people for the past year. The profit sharing checks are released at the end of February. So there is a corporate culture encouraging the fear of being fired.

Geico retains less than 60% of their employees. That says it all. If you Google Geico's employee retention rate, all you'll get is their retention rate of their insurance customers, NOT THE RETENTION OF GEICO'S EMPLOYEES. Geico spends a lot of money cleaning up their image online. I personally asked a former Vice President of Geico what the average length of time that a worker stays at Geico and he said two years. Those that stay more than five years, according to him, was only around 15%.

If you want to practice your ability to talk to a lot of people on the phone, and only want to work for a couple of years, work there at your own risk. Geico fires a lot of employees and rarely pays out unemployment because of HOW THEY SET YOU UP AND HOW THEY USE ARBITRARY RULES to encourage low scores for those who aren't the chosen few. Working there will burn you out if you fight for your job against their (arbitrary) tide. If and when you go, you won't be able to count on an unemployment check. As soon as you start working at Geico, the best strategy is to immediately look for another job, preferably not in the insurance field, because most insurance companies are only just slightly better than Geico. – less
Office manager/ sales agent
Office manager/ Sales Agent (Former Employee), South CarolinaJuly 1, 2015
Pros: Co workers
Cons: Owners, pay, stress
I worked for a local geico office for about five years. I liked the people I worked with. The owner was the issue. We never got paid on time . We were not hourly employees. The "co-owner" ( the actual owners spouse) thought that they knew every thing- but they were not able to log on the system. GEICO is a wonderful company- I wouldn't work for the local offices though . Try corporate
Overall, Not Too Bad
Service Counselor (Former Employee), Buffalo, NYJune 30, 2015
Pros: flexible shifts, food on site.
Cons: short breaks
A lot of people are pretty happy to work here, so the culture isn't too bad. They expect a lot from their staff, but in return they keep people motivated with food and games. It takes the edge of the stressful call-center environment.
Organized Work Place
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Indianapolis, INJune 30, 2015
Pros: Great Benefits
Cons: Call Center
Geico had good management. I enjoyed my co-workers around me. I love working with people. The most enjoyable part of the job was setting goals daily to accomplish. The hardest part of the job was the call center environment.

1 2 3 4 5

About GEICO

For more than 75 years, GEICO has stood out from the rest of the insurance industry! We are one of the nation's largest and fastest-growing – Read more

GEICO Salaries