GEICO United States Employee Reviews

Ok place to work
Licensed Insurance Agent (Current Employee), Getzville, NYApril 25, 2015
Call center environment.
Learned a lot about the insurance industry. Will teach you.
Typical work day is taking calls all day long. Hardest part of the job is hitting each call component when the customer is in a hurry. Calls get scored and graded.
stressful and unprofessional atmosphere
Claims Adjuster (Former Employee), Getzville, NYApril 23, 2015
Pros: Great benefits
Cons: unprofessional
There is no life work balance. Supervisors are very unprofessional. Goals that are set are unobtainable. They offer a lot of overtime, but when you take advantage of it, they hold it against you.
It's Tough
Licensed Insurance Service Representative (Current Employee), San Diego, CAApril 22, 2015
You have to have extremely thick skin. Policyholders will say anything to beat you down in hopes of getting what they want. Often times there is not much you can do to make them happy. Some supervisors are there to help you, some choose to beat your down There is a ton of pressure to meet your metrics and I know few people who do not go home stressed at the end of the day. It is far from easy. You often have very little social interaction between your co-workers. I was fortunate enough to have an amazing training experience. I started with a great group of people, most of which no longer work at Geico, but we still associate outside of work. After training which was fun, and a great learning experience, it all went down hill thereafter.
DO NOT BE FOOLED BY THE "FORTUNE 500 COMPANY" HEADLINE
CENTRALIZED SERVICES (Current Employee), Macon, GAApril 22, 2015
Pros: Health Insurance
Cons: EVERYTHING
THE CENTRALIZED SERVICES DEPARTMENT IS THE LOWEST PAID DEPARTMENT AND THE MANAGEMENT SHOWS EXACTLY WHY IT IS. GEICO DRAWS YOU IN BECAUSE IT MAKES CLAIMS TO IT'S EMPLOYEES JUST LIKE IT'S POLICY HOLDERS. THEY CAN'T HOLD ON TO IT'S PROMISES. YOU WILL START OUT HAVING FUN IN TRAINING, UNTIL YOU GET A DOWNGRADE FOR A CALL, THEN YOU'LL SEE YOUR CLASS GO FROM 15 PEOPLE TO 5 PEOPLE. THEN ONE PERSON MIGHT GET OUT OF THE DEPARTMENT IF LUCKY, BUT THEN THEY WILL REALIZE IT'S NOT THAT GREAT EITHER. IF YOU'RE LUCKY YOU'LL GET A HARD WORKING SUPERVISOR, BUT MOST ARE NOT. THIS IS ONE JOB I WOULD NEVER RECOMMEND SOMEONE TO WORK FOR. LOOK ELSE WHERE!!!
Solid employer, but room to grow
Lead Worker (Former Employee), Woodbury, NYApril 22, 2015
Pros: Friendly and engaging upper management, lots of room for advancement
Cons: Pay/benefits at lower levels not great, middle management sometimes caught up in office politics
GEICO is a big company, so its hard to say how they are overall after only having worked in 2 departments. Upper management takes an interest in all levels of employees and they seem to care about morale, which I find to be rare in large companies. Middle management sometimes gets lost in the political maneuvering that goes on at their level, which can be a detriment to the employees. The supervisors all seem to be solid people however, and the company prefers to promote from within; this is a big bonus in my book! Advancement is limited only by your skill and willingness to work. Pay isn't the best at the starting levels and benefits are scare (of note is the medical benefit, which is quite expensive!), but the pay does get better by a good bit as you move up.
Goals unrealistic/work home life unbalanced
Sales Agent (Current Employee), Macon, GAApril 22, 2015
Pros: benefits/pay potential
Cons: unpredictable job stability
geico does a great job at selling geico at start. The training is awesome, you learn a wealth of knowledge about the insurance industry. Once you become an agent you will soon discover that you are simply a number and the company is filled with politics, micromanagement, and not much room for moving up (unless you're liked by the right person). It has great benefits, but the stress of not meeting goal and being fired and/or having to wonder if you'll get fired for taking a day off for being sick is just not worth it in my opinion. The balance between work and home life is very off (especially if you have children)as the hours are long and odd.
N/A
Senior Systems Test Engineer (Former Employee), FredericksBurgApril 22, 2015
Very Good...Manager and team mates were really friendly.overall eenjoyed working there,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Friendly upbeat work environment
Sales Rep II (Current Employee), Macon, gaApril 21, 2015
days are usually unpredictable. I've learned a lot about being self motivated an a team player. My coworkers are more like family and for the most part the environment is pretty positive.
Overall a great company to work for
Underwriting Technician (Current Employee), Macon, GAApril 19, 2015
While working at GEICO I have come to understand the importance of great customer service. Each and every customer I have talked to has shaped my perspective on what it means to truly have and maintain good customer relationships. The customer is everything to a business; I as an employee of GEICO am honored to be working for such a great company. In my current position, I enjoy being able to work independently while under minimal supervision. I also love the team I work with, they are wonderful people.
Claims Examiner (Former Employee), Lakeland, FLApril 17, 2015
Pros: Pay and benefits, plus profit sharing once a year
Cons: horrible work conditions, dog eat dog environment, STRESS
GEICO demands an extreme amount of work from their employees which is not feasible. You are never given any positives and it is a very negative environment. Management is not always experienced and you tend to get different instructions depending on which Manager you ask. The bottom line is profit and customer service is a very low priority. Employees are given kudos for settling claims at the lowest value instead of the fairest value. Management using bullying tactics to keep a "tight ship". The job is impossible to accomplish as you are required to do the job of 2-3 people. The facility is low budget with used chairs, walls, computers, etc. and you don't ever quite have the items needed to adequately do your job. People are promoted in positions they are clearly not qualified to do because they are related to someone or married to someone in management. It's a paycheck, but definitely need the take out the medical benefits, because you will need them with the stress you'll encounter at this employer.
GEICO
Regional Mail Operations Management (Current Employee), Virginia Beach VAApril 16, 2015
Pros: Voted Best of the Beach for several years
Cons: hours
GEICO continues to be one of the top 5 insurance nationwide and is known for being innovative. GEICO has also been voted Best of the Beach for several years.
Supportive Management and relaxed Enviroment
Claims Adjuster (Current Employee), Katy, TXApril 16, 2015
Pros: Stable employment, Interactive management
Cons: pay compensation
I love the management and their always optimistic approach when interacting with their agents.
The morale is something the company focuses on and keeping constant participation with improving agent performance.
Pays well but works you like a dog
Claims Service Representative (Current Employee), Katy, TXApril 16, 2015
Pros: Good start pary, Benefits
Cons: Schedule, Dependability, Management
It is a very fast paced environment. They place performance goals for you to meet each month which are almost impossible. There is no consistently within management. Management style is micro-manage.
Growing company
supervisor (Current Employee), Dallas, TXApril 13, 2015
There are advancement ops and great great co-workers. The office has major parking issues and elevator issues. There is not a lot of work space.
stay away
Licensed Insurance Agent (Current Employee), Fredericksburg, vaApril 12, 2015
Pros: benefit medical
Cons: everything else.
They make it seem like its the best place to work but its not. My day is stressful constant negativity being told everything you do wrong. Its very easy to miss a call if they feel you don't say what they think you should. Your a number that's it mainly because your numbers effect the supervisor numbers and that's what matters. They say there is growth opportunity but with their unrealistic dependability rating and call metric rating its in impossible. I was in a class of 17 there are 8 of us left including two agents that transfered with in the company. They are not family friendly so if you have kids beware its near impossible to spend time with them let alone get time off if they are sick which count against your dependability. Once your dependability reaches below a 96% you get a warning and no raise.if you miss further days after that termination is next. If you are back late from breaks or lunches this counts against your deoendibility as well so its not hard to get to 96%. An email will be sent out daily to the entire team with your name highlighted in red if you are late which is unacceptable to me no one needs to know that. An email daily will also be sent out to the entire team with everyone stats and scores if you are meeting a goal you get highlighted in green where as the rest of the people that aren't are highlighted in red this is their way of "motivating" you. I think its disrespectful and inappropriate. So stay away its more stress than its worth and not worth the money you don't get paid enough to get yelled at all day by angry customers. This is why their turnover rate is 38%.
Fun and rewarding workplace
Total Loss Specialist (Current Employee), Macon, GAApril 10, 2015
this is a great place to work. geico has many advancement opportunities and the job is exactly what you make of it. they really care about the employes
Nightmare place to work
Paralegal (Former Employee), Las Vegas NVApril 9, 2015
You do not want to work here. Place will put white hair on your head in 24 hours. Way under staffed, and place needs new management.
Keeps you working hard
Claims Service Rep (Current Employee), Macon, GAApril 9, 2015
Pros: profit sharing
Cons: dependability
Geico is a great place to work, they try to be fair about everything but it does not always happen. They are not understanding when you miss a day of work. The management has their ups and downs but they are overall very nice. I enjoy helping out all of the customers to make sure they get the best service possible with their claims.
Good work environment, but desperately needs changes to employee rating system
Claims Service Representative (Current Employee), Dallas, TXApril 8, 2015
Pros: Yearly profit-share bonus, great benefits
Cons: Short breaks, constantly busy, and flawed employee rating system
Work is constant, but the company is generally good about giving the tools needed to succeed. The employee rating system does not factor in the large number of variables encountered in the always-changing insurance industry.
Productive and Fun work place
Sr.Net Developer (Former Employee), Chevy Chase, MDApril 8, 2015
Pros: Free lunches
Cons: health care
Good Day to Start
Learned a lot
Good Management
Co-Workers helped me a lot
Starting Day is Hardest Part of my job
Through out my project i enjoyed my job

1 2 3 4 5

About GEICO

For more than 75 years, GEICO has stood out from the rest of the insurance industry! We are one of the nation's largest and fastest-growing – Read more

GEICO Salaries