GEICO Employee Reviews

Found 1,015 reviews matching the search
There's a reason they are alwaya hiring...
Claims Representative (Former Employee) –  Buffalo,NYFebruary 18, 2013
There's a reason they are always hiring. They have over 40% turnover. I hear they're "We're Hiring" radio advertisements almost daily here in Buffalo and have for years! No, the building isn't expanding...its the almost half turnover ratio.

Why? Being chained to a phone for 7.5 hours a day, reading ever changing scripts, having insane goals ( like never using the "call work button" which stops the next call from coming in...but also while having documented perfectly every file...plus working your diary) Your diary are claims assigned to you that average about 100 claims per rep. You are graded on everything. I mean everything. Your graded on the length on your call (shorter the better) yet your also graded on how through you are with the customer. Everything contradicts each other. Then once a month you have to listen with your supervisor to one of your recorded. A calls. Awkward.

I made 31,000 a year after 6 weeks of training. Which after taxes and health insurance taken out...I took home about 850 dollars every 2 weeks (your paid bi-weekly). That's about 425 a week.again after taxes and insurance. But for all that you have to deal iw with...its not worth it.
If being chained to a phone...having every move you make watched,reading a new script and becoming a robot, trying to make goals that contradict each other, and getting verbally abused at least 5 times a day by customers...then its for you.

I put in my two weeks after a year of working there. I now manage a very well known tanning salon and make 50,000 a year. I get to interact with people face to face and am far from
  more... a robot.  less
Pros
health insurance
Cons
pay, call center environment, contradicting goals, micro-managed, robotic script.

Comment – March 14, 2013

Failed test for sure. Did not allow them the satisfaction of showing me the door. I walked out during test. There is info during the simulated test you will not find heads up its annoying an designed to let u down.

Comment – March 29, 2013

I hear that nonsense job ad all year round also. They do it for advertising, not for jobs. Geico has to be in your mind constantly or they are not happy. I hope they leave Buffalo someday and take their phoney claims of high paying jobs with them. Geico does not hire anyone for long term jobs and have some artifically narrow standard of who they will hire, example, some dummy off the street instead of a person with a college degree.

stay away
Licensed Insurance Agent (Current Employee) –  Fredericksburg, vaApril 12, 2015
They make it seem like its the best place to work but its not. My day is stressful constant negativity being told everything you do wrong. Its very easy to miss a call if they feel you don't say what they think you should. Your a number that's it mainly because your numbers effect the supervisor numbers and that's what matters. They say there is growth opportunity but with their unrealistic dependability rating and call metric rating its in impossible. I was in a class of 17 there are 8 of us left including two agents that transfered with in the company. They are not family friendly so if you have kids beware its near impossible to spend time with them let alone get time off if they are sick which count against your dependability. Once your dependability reaches below a 96% you get a warning and no raise.if you miss further days after that termination is next. If you are back late from breaks or lunches this counts against your deoendibility as well so its not hard to get to 96%. An email will be sent out daily to the entire team with your name highlighted in red if you are late which is unacceptable to me no one needs to know that. An email daily will also be sent out to the entire team with everyone stats and scores if you are meeting a goal you get highlighted in green where as the rest of the people that aren't are highlighted in red this is their way of "motivating" you. I think its disrespectful and inappropriate. So stay away its more stress than its worth and not worth the money you don't get paid enough to get yelled at all day by angry customers. This is why their  more... turnover rate is 38%.  less
Pros
benefit medical
Cons
everything else.
Good pay but you can never do anything right
Auto Damage Adjuster (Former Employee) –  PennsylvaniaMarch 29, 2015
I worked as an auto damage adjuster for 6 years. I made an above average salary in my area but boy...will they extract every last ounce of energy from you. The daily list of tasks was endless. GEICO wants you to be in constant contact with the customer, which is admirable, but the job gives you little time to actually do it. Heavily booked drive-in schedules, reinspecting every supplement no matter how insignificant, picking up titles for total losses, constantly updating rentals and fielding customer calls...the mantra for all this is "It only takes a minute" but management fails to understand there are only so many minutes in a day. Customer service survey scores (which are calculated with the most bogus point system I've ever seen) count far too much in your performance assessment. The goals are set for the employee to fail for which you are constantly hounded adding a level of stress to the position that finally drove me from the place. I was frequently sent (with little notice) to other areas to assist because they couldn't hire or keep people employed in certain areas. They don't care if this disrupts your home life. Supervisors and managers are yes-men and insulate themselves from the people in the trenches until it's time to criticize you for not making the numbers they want.GEICO is a great company to be a customer of but a difficult one to work for and be successful. Every appraiser I worked with wanted to get out but the pay and benefits are hard to abandon.
Pros
Salary, benefits, no weekends
Cons
Workload, indifferent management, impossible goals and constant criticism
Lots of freedom, get your work done and come home early
Auto damage adjuster II (Former Employee) –  Washington DC areaMarch 12, 2013
As a former 8 year adjuster, I had a great time moving up. Start up in the drive-in environment then move to the RX programs. Once you move into the field environment, all eyes are on you. If you speak out about any shop that is shady, be prepared to not get backed by management when they complain about you. I was told that my knowledge is what made me get fired. If you land a job with GEICO as a auto damage adjuster, I hope you have a management team that will back you. I did but, in the end, they caved. It did not matter if you were a top performer in all the catigories they grade you in for your yearly performance review. I am currently looking to get back to adjusting, but beware, management is looking for great adjusters but at the same time they want the least amount of drama with shops. The key to the job is identify the shops that like to inflate the supplements. This is what got me in trouble. It was very easy for me to see through the BS with certain shops. Supervisors would back your for a while, but if you had too many complaints from shops, you would be called in to talk about it. The fact is that the relationship between adjusters and shops is bad. Once i got fired from GEICO I went to work for a body shop and made it for a year and half. Again, I was forced out for holding my ground. The shop manager was in it for the money. Bottom line- Insurance companies-good(with management that will back you). Shops (For the most part) Bad (Want your money and will get it any way they can)
Pros
work form home, flexable hours
Cons
late hours sometimes, management will not allways back you
good employer to work for. Benefits are great and advancement is very possible.
CLAIMS AGENT (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZMarch 27, 2013
My day consisted of sitting at a desk, answering phones, and helping policy holders file/report accident claims over the phone, also handle any claims that I was put in charge of overseeing.. It was a very fast paced job but required a lot of patience and understanding which is a secondhand nature to me. The job was very demanding but that is the type of work I like.
I learned that not every person is the same and that even in high stress everyone reacts differently and it is my duty to be there for them no matter the situation. I also took back with me that i can push myself to limits that i thought were not possible. It really opened my eyes to the world and my potential.
Management there was good when it was available. Because things change there on a daily basis manager were constantly being pulled away from the teams for daily updates and progress reports. It made it a little hard to make sure all approvals that needed a supervisor to be done in a timely manner. But when the manager or team leader was there work was much more achievable.
The hardest part of my job was dealing with casualty reports. Its really hard to understand sometimes that a small child or loved one was killed in an accident that 100% could have been avoided if drivers were paying more attention, but that's the flaw in human error.
Even though that was the hardest part of my day, the one thing I enjoyed most was going to work and helping people everyday no matter what the situation. It was hard to leave such a place but i know i will return there one day
Great company to work for and a great experience.
Sr. Underwriting Technician (Former Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VAJuly 8, 2014
A typical day at work would be arriving at work, eating breakfast in the cafeteria and then on to the everyday posting and report completion and when required (2 hrs per day Monday, Wednesday and Friday) on the phones answering calls from customers; updating their accounts, answering their questions and offering additional benefits available to them. The interaction with the customers was very satisfying when all of their questions/complaints could be handled within a minimum amount of time.

Management was typically active in visiting the sections and updating on any changes that need to be made, additional training needed and followed up to ensure that the changes were implemented. When inclement weather struck, the management implemented it's policy for that event. I know of no other company that will provide accommodations and meals to the employees who are not able to make it home because of said weather. They also provided transportation to and from said accommodations.

My co-workers were one of the best parts of the job. I met and am still conversing with approximately 20 individuals even though I am no longer living in Virginia and not working for GEICO.

Lastly, the hardest part of the job was going to work when it was dark and coming home when it is dark.
Pros
for those on the telephones, numerous incentives for efficiency in completion of tasks, profit-sharing, in-house gift shop, gym and vendors were brought in to supplement for shopping time.
Cons
lunch time was too short (30 min) and only 1 fifteen min break
Work
Bodily Injury Claims Examiner (Current Employee) –  Woodbury, NYJanuary 14, 2014
This was my 1st big company and I came here for a temporary time which turned into 10 years. I loved the challenge of making the goals and the rewards for being recognized for the work product I put out.

The sad change is that you are only a number, and the number doesn't count. I've been rated top 3 in the company and the reward for the work of the eqivalent of perhaps 2 adjusters in any other major company yeilds to unsatisfactoy rewards.

The job security is nice, my custom schedule is nice and the time I have saved for vacation is as well. But, there is no time to benefit from the benefits.

Taking at one point a 35 hour work day (field work and travel with logistical issues) and asking for some sort of additional leave or job re-evaluation lead to being told that it's part of the job. No, I go above and beyond most of the other workers and give 135%. Don't recognize that and well, one can begin looking to see where all their friends and co-workers have gone. Looking at Facebook you see them smiling and lovin it.

My job is satisfying and set, but the environment is becoming more and more company focused and not associate based. Overtime is requested to fill the spots of all the people that are quiting. Maybe, they will learn when turn over increases to beyond what the building can handle.

GEICO has become the Walmart of insurance. Not a positive comparison. It's sad but I had so much hope.
Pros
my schedule, direct supervisor and manager (love'em)
Cons
no life work balance, poor hr decisions, people that don't care, no attention to people that work there, customer comes at the sacrifice of you
Love working here
Senior Programmer Analyst 2 (Current Employee) –  Chevy Chase MDApril 29, 2013
A typical day starts with a morning scrum meeting at 9:00 am with the whole development team. Thereafter, I go back to designing and coding my module. If someone is struggling with some issue or if they want clarification on the architecture/design of the project, they would stop by my cube to discuss the resolution. Sometimes, I end up debugging issues of the team members at their computer.In the afternoon, sometimes we would have technical meetings to resolve any design or architectural issues. This would usually be design review of the team members and we end up talking up the best design pattern to suit the solution. Around 5pm, the project manager would stop by to discuss the project deliverables,schedule or any other developmental issue. Late in the evening, I would build my code and check in so that the gatekeeper can merge the code and make the daily build.
I learnt a great deal about how to architect, design and code modular software which is both extensible and fast. I also learnt that a great deal from my coworkers not only about technology but also about life. I love working with my team. I also learnt that a well planned project and a thoughtful architecture goes a long way in making a project successful.

The hardest part of the job was convincing the management about the estimate and timeline of the project. The most fun part was of course building a beautiful system, which was delivered on time within budget with minimal bugs.
Pros
freedom to implement your own process for the projects
Cons
no definite technical career path
Unrealistic Goals
Claims Service Rep (Current Employee) –  Woodbury, NYOctober 3, 2015
Geico is great growth (if you want to stay in the insurance field), but the goals aren't realistic. I don't know how they expect people to be on the phone taking inbound calls for 7.75 hours to handle other people claims and work on the million claims that are assigned to you at the same time (diary). It has to be in one of the other! I'm over it. There should be people who strictly take inbound calls only and others who strictly work on diary! You never feel like your work is done.

It is too micromanaged and it makes you feel like you're in elementary school again. You are literally watched. If you go to the bathroom too often, you're questioned. Your calls are watched and listened to at all times. There is so sense of privacy and it makes you feel like you're never good enough to of the effectively. It is all about numbers when it shouldn't be because each claim and the parties involved are different every time! The expectations are unrealistic. They post everyone's stats together which I hate because you see who is doing well and who isn't and it actually discourages people. After working there for 6 months, you only get a week's worth of vacation and you better hope they approve it. The pay is decent, but not enough for all the procedures, protocols, and stress that comes with the job. YOUR WORK IS NEVER FINISHED!!! EVER!!!!

If you work well under pressure and you the feeling of your job never being done, this is for you!

Currently looking elsewhere!

I definitely understand why they are always hiring!
Pros
Pay
Cons
Unrealistic goals, micromanaged, work load is stressful
Great company to work for, if you're willing to relocate
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Getzville, NYJanuary 25, 2015
GEICO is a great company to work for...if you're willing to relocate. There are 10 regional offices in the country, Buffalo being one of them. Now, the benefits are fabulous, my coworkers are great, my management team is dependable, and my shift lends itself for a healthy work-life balance*. However, there are over 2,500 people in the Buffalo office and very few people are willing to leave Buffalo to work for GEICO in a different office, which doesn't open up a lot of advancement opportunities in our office. Buffalo's cost of living is so low and the pay at GEICO is great; it's hard to leave this area for an area that's more expensive and it's hard to leave family and friends. I get it. I would be willing to relocate if my husband wasn't set on staying in Buffalo. There are advancement opportunities; you just have to be more willing to move than the other person.

*I work a day shift, so it leaves time to actually have dinner, go to the gym, watch a movie, have a happy hour with friends and coworkers etc.. However, at the end of the day, our office is a call center. There are many metrics on which we are graded and some of them are "out of the box." It makes it difficult to gauge where you'll be each day in the rankings when you walk into work so sometimes, you stress out about your "numbers" at home. That isn't healthy. It's a high-stress environment for the wrong reasons sometimes.
Pros
benefits, schedules, paid vacation
Cons
work-life balance, lack of advancement in specific office
Cares for its employees
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Lakeland, FLApril 6, 2015
GEICO is a fair work environment where I get in bound calls and convince individuals as to why they called GEICO as for better service, payments, and longevity in their insurance needs. My skills in customer interaction became even more impeccable as to become more tactful to meet the customers needs, while implementing my employers desires and my own personality to better facilitate the customers transition and experience to our company. I have taken what was asked of me and been able to move up in grade levels quickly. My ability to encourage my coworkers and effectively work with others has put me in a position of leadership and have even been asked to train new recruits. My only difficulty in the job was my health which they helped come alongside me with understanding and flexibility as to help get me better. Considering my health, part of the difficulty was finding good doctors in Lakeland for what I have, alongside having my family in Orlando with better access to better doctors is difficult. Despite that part, my Management like me and know they get quality work from me despite this difficulty and if ever any setbacks they know that I have and will do what is necessary to give that same quality service. Learning more on my trade as well as partnering with my management to better myself and others, has been a major highlight to my success and future career(s) moving forward.
Pros
Benefits, Pay, Flexibility, Hours
Cons
Location, City medical selection
Don't work here!!!
Licensed Insurance Agent (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VANovember 6, 2014
the interview process was beyond ridiculous, they sit you in a classroom for 2 weeks to study information that has nothing to do with your job description in order to get licensed then they take all the note cards and destroy them after you pass. Then you get to sit in another classroom for about 2 months to train then over to transitioning where you sit for another month or so or until they think youre ready to go your team. Some of the coaches helped alot while other didn't bother to look your way.

Once youre there, the supervisor will find any excuse not to help you. Even other supervisors dont want to help. She played my "bad" calls out loud so everyone can hear it and it embarrassed me. They want you to login your IM screen so they can listen to your calls and type to you what they think you should say AFTER you already said something completely different to the customer then blamed me for confusing the customer. I hated that they yell out to you during a call to talk about absolutely nothing! Then they yell out all the A calls your teammates got to make you feel like your not doing a good job. Then make sign a paper basically stating that if you don't pass your calls then they will fire. If you even forget to mention umbrella policy, homeowners insurance or email activation, YOUR CALL IS CONSIDERED NON A AND YOU FAIL. I lasted 7 months there. Ill never work there again.
Pros
pay and benefits
Cons
micromanage, schedule, no room for advancement
micromanaged
Senior Claims Examiner (Former Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VAOctober 17, 2014
Very stressful place to work. They micromanage you and have unmeetable goals and they constantly Change how they want the job done. They script everything and want you to screw the customers out of their insurance benefits and fix cars with used or Chinese parts. They make you miserable. Nothing is ever right. They always want you to do more with less. They even get mad if you use paper. They also make you sit in broken furniture. They listen in on calls and nothing is good enough. There are about 80 things to say or do in a call. They want calls to be 2:30 minuites and want everything perfect and 1 call resolution. They also penalize you for taking calls with a calls per feature resolution goal and they audit claims and penilize you if you don't save them money even if the parts and labor are fair and they stress you so much that many including me got sick and vomited every day and could not sleep and they wanted you to put up pictures of the anoying gecko and force you to look at him. The pay was good but management was awful and they always change bosses and goals and how they want the same job done. They are abusive mentally and they punish you for going to the doctor. I ended up on aderall Zoloft seraquil sleeping pills and more. I got shakes and tried suicide 2 times. Its not worth it. No wonder they are always hiring.
Pros
pay and peofit sharing
Cons
ubmeetabe goals. senior. management. micromanagment. that god danned lizard
Time to become a leader
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Getzville, NYNovember 28, 2012
A typical job consists of having agents handling our clients through a phone service. We do learn about different laws, competitors, and problems that people frequently experience.
We are consistently on the phones handling our customers, usually with little spare time to work on projects, further our growth, or even just to be able to have coaching for self development.
Our management team is constantly trying to keep up morale through toys and food, but neglects what the agents are truly in need of, which is more fluid movement, less negative changes to associates, and more time with their higher ups. Frequently, we will even get our coaching or meeting times taken away for call volumes, but management (including limited number of supervisors) will be called away for rallies and fun events. We are left alone without the assistance necessary to do our jobs to the best extent, and then forced to work alone, without our team environments.
The job is extremely challenging and attempts to fully make use of team functions. Offering many opportunities to change position, if you can achieve them.
I do like being able to learn many new things, being able to be a leader on the teams when our supervisors are frequently unavailable, and help others train to become leaders themselves.
Pros
job security and benefits
Cons
not a field of my interest, difficult for advancement, no consistency.
Great if you don't have a family
Claims Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Macon, GAOctober 2, 2013
Work is easy overall. However, management is horrific! If you enjoy being micromanaged, then this is the place for you. A typical day you will include you spending most of your day repeatedly correcting someone else's work rather than devoting your time on your own task. Later, you'll be asked why you didn't get your own work done, but it is supposed to be a team environment. But don't be fooled, because it's not. Every man for himself is more of the mentality of management. If making you look bad is what it takes for someone else to make themselves look good, then that's exactly what will happen. A lot of double standards and favoritism throughout the company structure in how they pick and choose who will and will not receive a promotion, even if you out perform your competitors. I speak from over 4 years experience and hate I wasted that much time and energy with a company who could care less if I died tomorrow. Don't count on being off on or around the holidays, including Christmas, because you won't be and if you try to be slick and call out, just know you will be targeted for the next group of people they decide to fire. If you are not family oriented and don't have a life, you will make it up to management positions where everyone seems to be miserable because they don't have a life, but at least you will be paid well.
Pros
i got fired!!!
Cons
micromanagement, double standards, unfair workplace, bias
Dont do it!
Telephone Claims Adjuster (Current Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VASeptember 21, 2012
You cannot have a family and work this job unless you get a bogus reason to be on FMLA or abuse FMLA like alot of coworkers do. If you stand up and speak about things that are not right you will be black balled and they will make it hard for you to move up. They beat you to death with report cards every month and goals. Its nothing wrong with letting your associates know where they stand but make it achieveable! You have people sneaking in early or working way more than they should just to keep theyre head above water and get a measly 3 rating! This job is not for someone with children who get sick or anything like that! People have been fired in certain departments for sneaking in off the clock to work the unbearable work load when they would not authorize overtime but then turn around 2 months later to approve overtime. I have overheard managers put people on the do not rehire list simply because they left the company!!! They also listed them as one of the Greatest places to work in Va... ha thats a laugh.. because THE SURVERY WAS ONLY SENT TO A FEW ASSOCIATES!!! I assure you if they had sent it to everyone they would not have achieved this. If there were other big companies in the area then they would not be able to keep people! And.. oh yeah.. over half the office is on some type of ani depressant or anxiety medicine from all the stress that they put on you!! Like I said ... GO SOME WHERE ELSE!
Pros
paid ever two weeks!
Cons
everyth
Demanding but generally supportive workplace
Licensed Property & Casualty Insurance Agent (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZMay 9, 2014
-Take up to 60 calls per day as a Customer Service Representative for Personal Auto Policies. You're glued to your phone without any other tasks (Hence, the job title)
-They put you through Licensing to become an Insurance Agent, and they teach you all the important things you need to know for the test, and the things that are going to apply to your job. It's stressful, but the Instuctor is helpful. After that, training is a more accurate portrayal of what your job is going to be. And the training is very good, but instructors' styles vary, and some agents don't feel prepared to take calls when they get to the floor.
-Management is positive and understanding
-Coworkers are generally nice
-GEICO tries very hard to prevent the job from feeling like a call center, but it still is. It's difficult to sit one place for 8 hours and wait for person after person to call in. People are generally upset, which is fair because no one wants to call any company unless there's a problem. The job itself is incredibly stressful
-The most enjoyable part of the job is how awesome the Instructors, Trainers, and Management are. They're really wonderful and want you to succeed. For business-minded people who want to work in insurance, there's a lot of room for growth. There's a reason why people stay at GEICO for years and years
Pros
positive work environment
Cons
the job itself
Fast paced and stressful work environment
Billing Technician (Former Employee) –  Macon, GAJuly 26, 2015
I loved my supervisors, management, and coworker. However the daily dealings with customers was stressful, and unhealthy for me. A typical day was come in start computer and phone systems, gather my work information and start receiving calls. The calls would range from postponing and making payments, to help customers with payment arrangements or relay the news that we would be unable to give them extensions, and fax policy documents and help facilitate refunds. The hardest part of the job was when customers would call in so upset that they were not in a place to listen to the solutions available and so I was left on the line with people screaming at me because they were not in the state of mind to listen to the solutions available and just wanted someone to be combative with. For me this is difficult because I love to help people and when I am trying to help someone and they are not just being rude, but unreasonable about a situation the company gave the employees no protocol to follow to get out of the situation. The most enjoyable part of my job was the corporate environment, they truly value their employees and showed it with free lunches, contests to motivate, and random drawings for prizes such as tickets to sporting events and concerts.
Pros
Great support
Cons
Short breaks and personal time, call volume was too high for the amount of people working
Licensed Customer Service Rep Carmel/Indianapolis Indiana
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Carmel, INFebruary 6, 2016
I worked for the company for 2 years. I accepted the job with a promise to be off the call center phones within 6mos. I was also promised due to it being a new office there would be extreme opportunity for advancement. I had almost 20 yrs of customer service, sales, call center experience. 2 years later I resigned with medical issue due to this job. Issues that I had never experienced in life. My doctor had me on 5 different medications.......all due to the stress on the job. Nothing worked. The numbers that you were required to obtain & KEEP, constant listening, daily feedback & going over numbers. Those numbers better look great or you are unable to apply for other jobs. I had countless interviews just to hear do this, do that & reapply. Once you did what was required & reapplied the answers seemed to be we applogize but we already chose someone from our region. The pay is ok & annual bonuses are great but you only receive half in cash & half goes to your 401k. If you haven't worked the company for more than 5 yrs then you lose the money once you quit. Management was a joke. They acted supportive but you caught them in lies & standing around talking about everyones business out loud. No confidentially
Pros
Ok pay & perfect hours after a couple of months
Cons
Management, opportunity for advancement & STRESS!!!
I really messed this job up!
Auto Damage Appraiser (Former Employee) –  Glen Rock, NJSeptember 11, 2013
long days, lots of paper work, have to be on your toes, know your cars and parts, lots of negotiating,
what I learned the grass was not greener on the other side, Should have never left!
Management My supervisor was a hard working dedicated person, always made us strive to be the best. his down falls very sarcastic, but always backed up his team!
co-workers I had been blessed to work with some of the best ladies and gentlemen, the team I worked with each person would help another out, always striving for the best we knew the job was over loading, but each one of us could call another and vent I had a great group of team players I worked with!
Hardest part was trying to keep the customer happy "10" level service, very hard, especially with the customers never read their insurance policy, or knew their deductible or coverage, dealing with the body shops trying to get agreed ed figures, and Supplements many.usually for other associates, but would take longer then a new claim.
most enjoyable was seeing a customer, go from dis-trot to super happy, when I was able to assist them or help them with an issue and it worked out. having the little get together s my Supervisor would arrange even if it was for an hour, just being able to laugh, and joke
Pros
job secuity, profit sharing, team members
Cons
lots of paper work, estimating system