GEICO Employee Reviews in United States

Found 1,290 reviews matching the search
Extremely Unhappy
Sales (Current Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAMarch 21, 2016
Overall dissatisfaction. Coaches talk down to you like you're a child. Dependability is 97% which I understand but even if you have a note from the doctor saying you have the flu it still counts against you. You practically have to ask to use the bathroom and get lectured when you take a personal to do so. Management doesn't relay information the way they should so we are constantly questioning changes and when they are going to take place.
Pros
Free Gym and a Starbucks in office.
Cons
Everything.
easy advancement
Classification Clerk (Current Employee) –  Macon, GANovember 9, 2015
It's very easy to move up in the company. I have received a countless amount of raises due to my hard work. The Ceo cares dearly about employees.
Very Good Company with excellent reputation
Insurance Claims Trainer (Current Employee) –  Tucson, AZSeptember 30, 2015
Reputation as an outstanding company. I have enjoyed the job for many years, however it has gotten mundane for me. The company is focused on developing newer talent and I feel I have grown as much as I can with this particular company.
Pros
Good benefits and lots of growth opportunity
Cons
Demands of management can be stressing.
Excellent place to work at and lots of opportunity to advance within the company.
Quality Assurance Representative (Former Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VAJanuary 13, 2016
This was hands down one of the best places I have ever worked at. There is so much opportunity there to advance, and the company is very supportive of it's employees pushing themselves to do better. Not only that, but there are many rewards that are given and all of the associates are noticed for their accomplishments.
Pros
excellent pay/lot of advancement opportunities/friendly environment
Cons
hours not always great/ a bit stressful
Short term job only!
Insurance Producer (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INMarch 18, 2016
Looking to make some money for about a year than work here. Pay is amazing while there is no room for advancement just an phone agent over and over. Other departments are 2 of them you only get to be in jay position for a few months and then you are back in the phones. Everyone works weekends, no short term disability, back up call center so you will do the job of 10 for 1 person
Pros
Pay
Cons
No short term disability, micro manage, must work weekends
Great company to work for
Claims Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Getzville, NYDecember 15, 2015
Not a day went by where I wasnt eager to get to work and start another day. GEICO is a fantastic company to work for with wonderful benefits and advancement opportunities.
Call center invornment
Claims Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Macon, GANovember 3, 2015
Great job with great benefits. The most beneficial part of the position is being able to assist customers when they are going through a stressful situation and releasing some of the stress by taking care of the damage to the vehicle in a quick amount of time and with great customer service.
Pros
Great benefits and flexible schedules
Cons
Is very micro-managed
Just think about it before applying...
Customer Service Representative IV (Current Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAFebruary 15, 2016
I am currently employed by GEICO and have been for the last few years... When you are first hired, they fill you with the "GEICO koolaid" about how they are the best company out there and there is so much room for advancement and while you are in training, it seems like the best job ever. Then, all of a sudden, it's not. The training you are given is extensive and was the most thorough I have ever received but that is where the benefits cease. Once you complete your transition period, they dump you onto a team with supervisors that are more interested in their own advancement or lives than you. If the supervisor is not your direct supervisor, asking them for help on a call can be the biggest pain. And don't even get me started on asking one to take a supervisor call... The pay is great if you do not have a college degree like me; however, I have never experienced such disdain for a job before. I cry before almost every shift and among fellow coworkers, is not out of the norm. Almost every single one of my coworkers hates their job just as much, if not more. The job itself is not very difficult. It is the management that is the problem. You get lost as an individual in the company and become just a number to them. If something happens in your life that is unexpected, THEY DO NOT CARE ABOUT YOU. All they care about is that you are on the phone and meeting their goals. This job is not for everyone and I would seriously reconsider before applying. They say advancement is easy and they have all these programs to help you. I have friends in the Supervisory Prep Program who are being  more... put back on the phones as agents because they have no supervisor roles to give them... And to move up at all you have to either have a bachelor's degree in business or "actively pursuing" that degree or you cannot be involved in the advancement programs. Of course, they do offer tuition reimbursement, but I work multiple jobs to support my family and do not have time to go back to school, this is not an option. The training they have given me will help me throughout the rest of my life, but the stress it has caused me and my family is not worth it.  less
Pros
Pay, Profit Sharing, training
Cons
Not enough breaks, management, stress load, positions available for advancement
productive and great incentives
Imagining Technician (Former Employee) –  Macon, GAMarch 16, 2016
Have team huddles
set goals for the department
co-workers would work well with one another
the management helped guide you to a successful workplace
the hardest part was making sure you were always meeting your goal for the day
Cons
systematic
High expectations and low compensation
Senior SIU Investigator (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDAugust 14, 2015
Working in the SIU department you are expected to work 7 days a week without getting OT pay. You work on average 55-60 hours a week and get paid for 37.75 Hours. The expectations of finishing an investigation are unreal and impossible to accomplish due to the workload. the average is 35 to 40 files per month which they expect to be completed in under 14 days each. When you explain that a complete investigation can not always be completed in 14 days or less you are threatened with termination if you can't keep up. when I started with the company there was a good team of investigators in my area however as the management changed the employees left and were not replaced but the workload did not decrease for the team. There are 4 investigators handling the work of 7 at this point with no plan to replace the 3 missing slots anytime in the near future
Pros
Health benifits
Cons
Workload and pay.

Want to know more about GEICO?

Ask a question
I would not recommend this employer to friends or family
Insurance Agent underwriting department (Former Employee) –  Poway, CADecember 1, 2015
Management is biased evangelical Christians. Micro management is the worst, you have to want to be assimilated into the team.
Pros
Good pay and benefits
Cons
Extreme micro management, extreme interoffice drama.
Decent work/life balance and benefits, horrendous culture/management
Management Development Program (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJune 2, 2015
Put simply, after repeated exposure to upper management and their practices/attitude, it is apparent that GEICO succeeds by creating a culture of impossible-to-meet standards, especially at the entry level and supervisor level. This leads to high turnover rates, a systematic lack of experience across the board, and a lack of critical thinking which feeds into a groupthink culture that no one is working hard enough, despite the fact that growth rates are through-the-roof. There are no creative solutions/strategies, or even tactical pivots, only "why isn't everyone working harder and doing better".

Accept employment at your own risk.
Benefits
Cons
Poisonous culture, horrendous management
Constantly chanching environment with goals which are in many ways out of your control
Claims (Current Employee) –  Woodbury, NYDecember 8, 2015
As you would expect, such a large company of 10K+ employees has very rigid standards. However, these goals are often not attainable and do not take volume into account. Regardless of the workload, goals stay the same even when the company has a high overturn rate meaning that there are almost never enough employees out of training long enough to make an impact on the day to day functions of any particular department. Management has failed to keep up in the "modern world". Typically, companies should look to train well and retain employees. Yet this is not the case here. At least once a year there is a mass exodus of employees in claims leaving for competitors. These competitors take advantage of the great training GEICO provides and quickly recruits GEICO employees. Rather than training well and maintaining these employees, GEICO sticks to its "like it or leave" management style. Inevitably, many leave and the cycle begins again.
Great position for advancement, wonderful benefits, very stressful
Insurance Agent (Licensed) (Former Employee) –  Poway, CADecember 18, 2015
In this position, I answered upwards of 70 inbound calls per day. I learned a lot about conflict resolution, attention to detail and customer service. Management was well trained and helpful. My coworkers were a great form of support. The hardest part of the job was living up to Geico's somewhat unattainable expectations for their employees, written up by people who dont actually have to do the job. The turnover rate is extreme due to this factor. The most enjoyable part of the job were the events we got to be a part of just by being an employee.
Geico
Reissue Agent (Former Employee) –  Macon, GADecember 29, 2015
as far as benefits are concerned, it is great; however, job advancement is difficult. and if you make one error by no fault of your own, you can be and probably will be fired.
Stale, Conservative, and Generally Lackluster
Communications (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 19, 2015
The horrendous, 80s-style cubes are surrounded by a horrendous, 50s-style building. Some managers are great, others come from the regions and are in no way attuned to their workforce. Advancement only occurs based on tenure, NOT qualifications, and pay is 20-50% below industry standards. Vacation is the minimum allowed by law, and this company in general does not support its employees.

Job security is incredible, but otherwise, this is a tough place to work at.
Pros
Job Security, Stability
Cons
Top-Down Mentality, Very Little Advancement, Horrible Pay/Benefits
Life can't happen if you work here
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAFebruary 10, 2016
Un realistic expectations of their new employees, instead of training they belittle them and make them feel stupid. benefits were not available until you work 6 months. everyone knows that anything can happen over 6 months. Oh and you have to have 100% dependability in training no exceptions... if you lose your voice and cant talk you better try and find another one!
Pros
pay
Cons
everything else
Leading company with great opportunities
SENIOR RECOVERY SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  Woodbury, NYSeptember 27, 2015
GEICO is a leader in the industry and a great place to work. The benefits are unmatched. The people are by far the hardest working positive people I have ever come across. I have learned and amazing work ethic over my years with this company. I am proud to say I have worked for such a well oiled machine.
Pros
Great career opportunities.
Cons
Hours are not as flexible as they once where.
Goals unrealistic/work home life unbalanced
Sales Agent (Current Employee) –  Macon, GAApril 22, 2015
geico does a great job at selling geico at start. The training is awesome, you learn a wealth of knowledge about the insurance industry. Once you become an agent you will soon discover that you are simply a number and the company is filled with politics, micromanagement, and not much room for moving up (unless you're liked by the right person). It has great benefits, but the stress of not meeting goal and being fired and/or having to wonder if you'll get fired for taking a day off for being sick is just not worth it in my opinion. The balance between work and home life is very off (especially if you have children)as the hours are long and odd.
Pros
benefits/pay potential
Cons
unpredictable job stability
Great career advancement opportunities
Professional Insurance Agent (Current Employee) –  Farmers Branch, TXNovember 30, 2015
Great company with great employees. Excellent compensation and benefits package. The management team can be hard on goals but only select the best people to work here so it is understandable.