Established in 1931, the Gemological Institute of America (GIA) is the world's foremost authority on diamonds, colored stones, and pearls. GIA exists to protect all purchasers of gemstones, by providing the education, laboratory services, research, and instruments needed to accurately and objectively determine gemstone quality. As creator of the 4Cs and the GIA International Diamond Grading System, the Institute sets and maintains the standard for grading and identification practices used worldwide. Its global headquarters are based in Carlsbad, California.
GIA New York is seeking a Data Developer. In this regular, full time role you will be supporting the data collection and analytical needs of the GIA Laboratory. We are looking for candidates with strong technical aptitude and critical thinking skills, who will contribute to the success of the Laboratory and the Institute.
In order to succeed, you will need to be comfortable juggling several projects at once and with the occasional quick turnaround. You will assist in analytics, as well as building and tuning queries. Specifically, you will be central in helping to analyze the Laboratory’s grading consistency and precision.
Specific tasks include:
Obtaining data from the sources:
- Building small-scale systems and user interfaces to assist internal customers as they input data quickly and accurately
- Writing queries to extract data from internal and external data sources, such as a custom Oracle database or data warehouse.
- Raw data inspection and cleansing, both manual and automated
Managing obtained data:
- Designing databases to store the collected data
- Writing complex analytic queries on these databases for ad-hoc analysis and for building longer term tools
Presenting the data as information:
- Using web technologies to create tables and visualizations
- Using statistical programming tools to perform advanced analytics and visualizations
- Working with the Information Technology and Business Intelligence groups to articulate requirements for quality analytics
Required Skills and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science Information Systems or Statistics field from an accredited four-year college or university and 2-4 years of related experience or equivalent combination of education and experience
- At least 1-2 years’ experience with SQL, with advanced knowledge preferred (analytic functions, model clause, PL/SQL functions)
- At least 1-2 years’ experience with R
- Knowledge of statistics
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- A technical aptitude and ability to quickly learn new technologies is essential
- Ability to drill down and troubleshoot technical problems
- Experience with Oracle Application Express (APEX) preferred
- Experience working on technical projects
- Knowledge of principles of database design, data acquisition and systems design
We offer great employee benefits:
- Generous vacation policy because sometimes you need one!
- Great health & welfare benefits!
- Competitive salaries, tuition reimbursement, and 401K plan
- Gym discounts, for health & fitness
- Transit vouchers
- Casual dress policy/wear your jeans because you can!
- Company sponsored events
To apply, please submit your cover letter, resume and salary requirements. Please reference the job title in your subject line.
GIA is an equal opportunity employer. For additional information about GIA we welcome you to visit our website at www.gia.edu.