Genentech Employee Reviews

Great company, Great Culture, Great people!
Foundation Specialist (Current Employee) –  South San Francisco, CAJune 26, 2016
I worked for GNE for a total of 3 years as a Case Manager and later as a Foundation Specialist. I worked in the Access Solutions department doing reimbursment services as a case manager. This consisited of relaying insurance benefits to patients and doctor's offices and referring patient's organizations that can provide co-pay assistance for particular specialty medications. As a foundation specialist, I provided free medication for those who met our criteria. Management there are very flexible and do not micro manage. These roles are very team oreinted, everyone I worked with were very friendly.
Pros
Free lunches. Plenty of opportunity for growth and development. Great work culture.
Cons
Short lunches, Contractors do not get all the benefits and perks of the job.
One of the best companies in the world WITH SHARP focus on people and science. Ever since Roche bought it, things have been rough but working through
Senior Clinical Specialist (Former Employee) –  TennesseeNovember 25, 2016
The company has phenomenal culture, cares for employees overall and an outstanding benefits as long as you have a good manager, sometimes, you might get a bad one, but those are very few.
Pros
GREAT BENEIFTS, UPWARD MOBILITY
Cons
JOB SECURITY CAN BE TOUGH
Inspiring, fun, dedicated work environment
Project Management (Current Employee) –  South San Francisco, CASeptember 27, 2016
Genentech has a rich culture that inspires workers to achieve their career goals and give back to the community.

There is great support to grow your career and receive feedback for positive growth.
Pros
Great benefits, free food, nice cafes, great gym, environmentally friendly
Cons
Big company set backs, changes are slow
Amazing work place they take care of their employees
Utility Operator (Current Employee) –  Vacaville, CAMay 12, 2016
Genentech is a GMP environment so it is very important that while at work we do everything correctly and to standards, it is also important because we make medicine for extremely important patients. The company also takes care of its employees they believe in a work life balance and make sure we have fun when we can while at work as well as have team building events, family is also very important. Managers help out in any way possible and will also sit down and have lunch with you, they treat you as equals. Everyone I work with are encouraging and helpful. The benefits are amazing and the scheudle is also a great schedule.
One of the best places to wotk
Quality Assurance Specialist II (Current Employee) –  Vacaville, CAOctober 4, 2016
An excellent work life balance culture. The compensation and benefits are great. Genentech takes care of its own and as a company, strives to put out the best in putting patients first.
Fun place to work at, great people, management needs to improvement.
Senior Bioprocess Technician (Former Employee) –  Vacaville, CANovember 9, 2016
Great place to work at. Benefits are great. Management needs work. They offer many incentives. You will move up fast in the company as long as you know the right people.
Wonderful company with skilled machinist
AO Manufacturing Technician (Former Employee) –  Hillsboro, ORSeptember 21, 2016
Acumed has some really skilled machinist and they make some of the best orthopedic implant parts I have ever seen. The machinery is great and the operations are nice.
Pros
Nice benefits and PTO plan
Cons
Sometimes things can get political
Good
VP Compensation, Benefits and HR Operations (Current Employee) –  South San Francisco, CAAugust 9, 2016
A very good company to work for that supports employee development, career growth, home and work balance and provides competitive pay, benefits, and other services.
Great place to work!
Business Systems Analyst (Former Employee) –  South San Francisco, CAAugust 1, 2016
I worked at the company for many years. I truly enjoyed working here. You have the opportunity to work and meet a lot of people from diverse cultures. The benefits are a plus
Pros
Benefits are great!
Vibrant and fun yet intense workplace with politics heavily at play
Senior Finance Analyst (Former Employee) –  South San Francisco, CAMarch 15, 2016
Very nice and modern facility, good location, a lot of perks in terms of company events, celebrations, and free items. It is also a very community-oriented company.

However, career-wise, you have to be on the 'right' team to ensure that your career needs are met in terms of professional growth, interests, and advancement. Politics play VERY heavily within the workplace, and there are certain groups that have much better management and opportunities than others.

In my personal experience, there is a lack of transparency and consistency in messaging between mid-level management and employees. You have to know the right people, and have a friendship with the management to ensure job security and stability. It is unlike any other place that I have ever worked (as far the lack of professionalism displayed by mid-level management).

Overall, good for getting the experience of working in a global and well-recognized company. But very stressful and unpleasant work environment.
Pros
Company events, benefits, nice facility/ campus
Cons
Intense politics, unprofessional mid-level management
Great place to work!
Maintenance Data Specialist (contract) (Current Employee) –  Vacaville, CAMay 11, 2016
Working with highly dedicated people & proud to be part of the team. I enjoying knowing I can do something to help cancer patients.
Pros
Great people, clean working areas
Cons
Being a contractor, I get no benefits
Working at the BigG
Senior IP Litigation Legal Assistant (Former Employee) –  South San Francisco, CAMarch 7, 2016
I was extremely excited to get hired at Genentech. It appeared to be my dream job. It went very well for the first 2 years until I started to advise management of my goals and that's when everything turned around. The perks that they offer tuition reimbursement turned into a nightmare. It took months to get approved. I was required to write a memo why I should be allowed to receive $10,000 to advance my education so I could climb the corporate ladder which is not the procedure. The self-evaluation and the goals that I wrote for myself, I was told they could not be achieved and that I should do further research on the regulatory affairs. It is a very clickish place to work and if you don't do what your manager tells you, they can impede your progress and will refuse to transfer you to another department. It's not a minority friendly environment unless you are from another country. Overall, I would have to say if you have a good manager and the manager is fair you will do well at Genentech. Each department operates and is managed different. Genentech stresses to all of its employees that its a superior place to work so I suggest that if you find that a certain process doesn't work keep your thoughts to yourself.
Pros
Great benefits, worklife balance awesome
Cons
Terrible management, abuse of power
It was great place to work
QA Specialist III (Current Employee) –  South San Francisco, CANovember 13, 2015
It's all depend on which area you are. I worked in Quality with very smart people and new exiting projects. However, I was not very happy with the organization decision of consolidate some of the roles. People with experience lost their job. Probably if your know somebody in other area you can get another position. But there is not job security. In other hands, I found out that the culture in Genentech is changing; not too much diversity. There are some areas that you don't see diversity at all. You can see they talk their language and it feel unconfortable if you don't understand.
Overall, Genentech has a very good benefits and they provide transportation.
Great Company to work
Senior Transplant Specialist (Current Employee) –  Florida, Puerto RicoOctober 26, 2016
Genentech is an example of effective entrepreneurial initiative to create a wonderful company. The pipeline is ample within the oncology marketplace, but limited on other therapeutic categories.
Pros
Company does it best to create an environment of work-life balance
Cons
Seems to be confusion as to the way of positioning talent
Genentech is a good company to work for
System Specialist (Former Employee) –  Vacaville, CANovember 3, 2016
A typical at day work supporting the manufacturing floor and providing support to upper management. Coworker’s very friendly and hard working. Most of the management team was friendly and easy to work with. The hardest part of my job was supporting two manufacturing buildings. The enjoyable part of my job was traveling with some of my colleagues.
Data driven, global organization with an eye on innovation and balancing risk
Global Supply Chain Management (Current Employee) –  South San Francisco, CANovember 15, 2016
> Roche/Genentech is a heavy data driven culture.
> Focus on results through collaboration (team heavy).
> Management focus on not just the results by how we achieve them (process definition).
Great company
Operational Excellence - OE Analyst (Former Employee) –  South San Francisco, CAFebruary 2, 2016
Amazing benefits, fun corporate culture, a little crazy busy sometimes, so life-work balance can be an issue, but they give you plenty of opportunities for growth and development.
The people make it worth it
A Member of the Roche Group (Current Employee) –  South San Francisco, CANovember 28, 2016
I have dearly enjoyed every day at Genentech, and I would do it all over again. I have learned so much and it has really helped me to grow personally and professionally in ways that wouldn't have been possible anywhere else. There is a lot of hard work and tough problems, but working here has given the the confidence to plow through what looks impossible, and take my cues from other people that I respect and admire. The most enjoyable part is the high quality of people; the education, experiences and skills.
Fun place to work
Manufacturing Technical Specialist II (Current Employee) –  Oceanside, CADecember 6, 2016
Genetech Oceanside is a manufacturing site with a can do attitude. Most careers are related to manufacturing. It is a World Class Manufacturing facility with strong roots in Lean Six Sigma. They are community oriented with monthly grants awarded, volunteer time matching, and donation matching.
Productive, challenging, but yet a fun work place.
Sr. Administrative Associate (Current Employee) –  South San Francisco, CASeptember 30, 2016
Everyday is a new learning challenge. No day is alike. I've learned to utilize applications and systems and also becoming for technical.

The employees are amazing. Everyone is willing to assist in any way. The resources provided are very helpful and they thrive for career growth.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Genentech. Our community is ready to answer.