Genentech Employee Reviews

Interesting
Final packaging /Inspection operator (Former Employee) –  South San Francisco, CA 94080October 13, 2017
It's a full-time job. The job was very productive. I love working at Genentech. Genentech knows how to treat and take care of their employees. I would love to go back to work with them.
Solid place to work
Financial Analyst, R&D Finance (Former Employee) –  South San Francisco, CAOctober 11, 2017
I really have no clue why it requires you to type these reviews. It was a great experience I learned a lot from my time at Genentech and I'd recommend
Able to work effectively and meet deadlines
Quality Assurance Associate (Former Employee) –  South San Francisco, CAOctober 5, 2017
- typical day can be manage
- able to cross train in other department
- each mgmt. is different
- workplace culture can be fair
- the hardest part of my job is having longer hours (13 hours/12 hours) or can be longer due to meetings or training after end of shift
- I enjoyed working with people, how I performed my job well, making sure documentations are clear, legible and errors free, drug products are pure, safe and effective for the patients.
Pros
Department offsite
Cons
longer hours
Very diverse and challenging political environment
Commissioning and Qualification Manager (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CASeptember 24, 2017
Good company with excellent Project Manager and System Owner. I worked a temporary staff augmentation assignment and for the most part was treated as if I was a staff employee. I would work there again without hesitation.
Pros
Great staff, good work/life balance
Cons
I was a temporary employee
Fantastic Company
Bioprocess Technician (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CASeptember 20, 2017
This company is overall Fantastic. The culture here is like nothing else. We have HO HO day which the company provide free wine and beer and cheese for the company every Friday. The people here are friendly and supportive. Overall Fantastic!!!!
Casual intensity
Director (Current Employee) –  San Francisco Bay Area, CASeptember 20, 2017
Dynamic, fast-paced and multifunctional capabilities are required to be successful. Sr. leadership focuses on the appropriate performance and culture topics, yet little is delivered; it's a large company. People really care about what they do.
Pros
Progressive
Cons
Must relo to SF for advancement.
Overall, a great place to work
MANUFACTURING BIOPROCESS TECHNICIAN MODIS (Former Employee) –  Vacaville, CASeptember 19, 2017
Work usually started with a shift exchange meeting in which one shift would update the incoming one on current operations and things to look out for on the floor. This was a really great way to get to know more people that you are working with in the department.
We would get a 1 and 1/2 hour lunch which is unprecedented. Only 30 minutes of that lunch would be unpaid, so really a 10 hour shift turned into more like an 8 hour shift at the end of the day.
Hours for swing shift are tough to get used to if you are a morning person like me. Being up and functioning fully until 2:30am is just difficult in my opinion.
The actual work consisted of preparing, building and sterilizing filter assemblies for upstream and downstream operations and cleaning or processing equipment for GMP use-yes this did involve hand-washing a fair number of parts. Generally the position demanded a lot of physical labor to: clamp, carry, lift, push and assemble things which isn't so bad but can get monotonous and wear down your body.
Pros
Long breaks, relaxed atmosphere within the company, free food every week, lots of on-site parties for employees, being a contract worker doesn't really hold you back
Cons
Poor management on my shift, lack of schedule flexibility, work weekends, odd hours
Intern (Former Employee) –  Vacaville, CASeptember 18, 2017
People there seem genuinely happy. Work life balance is great. Tons of training, but understandable since they keep in mind that patients come first. So quality is of the upmost importance, as well as keeping workers happy.
Pros
not stressful. definitely feel like you make a difference
Cons
No guarantee for jobs. Pay could be better.
Nice Place
Foundation Specialist (Former Employee) –  South San Francisco, CASeptember 17, 2017
Good Company they use a lot of contractors getting a job with them as a full time they all want full time position everyone very nice they
try to make you as comfortable as possible
Pros
Free Lunches and Shuttle Service
Cons
only Temp
Good company, heavy work load
Quality Assurance Specialist III (Current Employee) –  CaliforniaSeptember 17, 2017
Overall a great place to work. Very heavy workload at times, inefficient work processes and sometimes resistant to change. Fairly tight knit group of individuals, with good working rapport.
Pros
Friendly environment, supportive
Cons
Heavy workload, slow to change / improve / simplify
Great place
Core team member of Genentech's Device Council (Former Employee) –  south sanfrancisco, CASeptember 14, 2017
Really enjoyed it and was given a lot of responsibility. Excellent people and wonderful science. I learned a bunch and helped mentor many people who went on to doing great things
Pros
great science
Cons
became big
Great workplace environment
Quality Assurance Specialist III (Former Employee) –  Oceanside, CASeptember 14, 2017
Great company culture and they treat everyone fairly. I enjoyed working here and being surrounded by professional people. The benefits are great and I love the work-life balance.
Fun place to work for
Analytics Manager (Current Employee) –  South San Francisco, CASeptember 14, 2017
They care about employees
Great work place culture
Opportunities for employees to grow within organization.
Management held accountable for their employee development
Great learning experience
Research Associate - Genetic Analysis Lab (Former Employee) –  Dixon, CASeptember 10, 2017
Absolutely loved the culture and the work/life balance. I had the opportunity to learn a lot about molecular biology and genetics. Always looked forward to the routine work plus the extra mini projects for personal growth and advancement.
Great Company
Project Manager/Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  South San Francisco, CASeptember 8, 2017
Genentech is mature company that has refined processes and tools to make working there much more intuitive. The teams and work life balance allow room for creativity, and feeling like your part of the solution.
Pros
Great tools, and good professional personel
Cons
Large company can be complex at times
Productive and fun workplace, incredible experience
Intern (Former Employee) –  Dixon, CASeptember 7, 2017
Fantastic place to work, always felt welcomed by the staff there as an intern, would have loved an opportunity to work full-time, but my position was a year-long contract only with no transition to permanent employee.
Pros
Free catered lunches 2x a week, inexpensive meal options
Cons
Very quick paced, heavily reliant on good time management skills
n/a
Technician (Former Employee) –  South San Francisco, CASeptember 7, 2017
I learned how to Efficient in reducing the seven wastes
Committed to continuous process improvements to increase Lean efficiency
Effective collaboration with coworkers and building rapport with customers
Pros
401k, stock options
Cons
healtcare
Great Company
Case Manger (Current Employee) –  South San Francisco, CA 94080September 7, 2017
Working with this company is amazing the staff is very friendly and helpful with everything, the campus is huge a lot of walking depending where you are stationed at. But you will love to know they feed you for all your hard work, and pay great.
Innovative, engaging place to work
Associate Director of Project Controls (Former Employee) –  South San Francisco, CASeptember 6, 2017
Genentech is a great company to work for. With high caliber people working on cutting edge technology that are engaged and work to the develop and deliver life saving medicines to patients.
Pros
The people
Cons
Change in leadership
The Culture
Contract Associate (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CASeptember 5, 2017
Allover Genentech is a pretty good company particularly if you are just starting your career and want to work in the Biotechnology industry.

The culture is pretty cool in that the company offers work from home days depending on ones organization. There are occasional team building events which help to aid in building strong working relationship within departments and staff.

The company also makes commuting to and from its campuses very easy by providing commuter buses and ferries throughout the Bay Area for its employees.
Pros
Very good work balance for their contract employees
Cons
Somewhat difficult to convert from a contractors to a full-time employee.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Genentech. Our community is ready to answer.