Genentech Employee Reviews

Great Place to Work
Manufacturing Bioprocess Technician (Current Employee) –  Vacaville, CAJune 8, 2016
Great enviornment and culture. Management is always willing to help and watch you succeed. Everyone that is hired for the most part share in the layback culture Genentech is known for.
FTEs vs. Contractors
Intake Coordinator (Contract) (Former Employee) –  South San Francisco, CAMay 19, 2016
FTEs have high job security. Takes a long time to get fired. Contractors get let go through one phone call telling employee to not return next day.
N/a
DEVICE DEVELOPMENT ENGINEER II (Current Employee) –  South San Francisco, CAMay 16, 2016
Happy but do not feel like I am advancing as I should. Growth really challenging within the organization. I believe that I can do much better if I pursued an opportunity elsewhere, where number of years in the company was not the primary pre-req for growth and promotion.
Amazing work place they take care of their employees
Utility Operator (Current Employee) –  Vacaville, CAMay 12, 2016
Genentech is a GMP environment so it is very important that while at work we do everything correctly and to standards, it is also important because we make medicine for extremely important patients. The company also takes care of its employees they believe in a work life balance and make sure we have fun when we can while at work as well as have team building events, family is also very important. Managers help out in any way possible and will also sit down and have lunch with you, they treat you as equals. Everyone I work with are encouraging and helpful. The benefits are amazing and the scheudle is also a great schedule.
Great place to work!
Maintenance Data Specialist (contract) (Current Employee) –  Vacaville, CAMay 11, 2016
Working with highly dedicated people & proud to be part of the team. I enjoying knowing I can do something to help cancer patients.
Pros
Great people, clean working areas
Cons
Being a contractor, I get no benefits
Excellent benefits including sabaticals.
Senior Instrument Technician (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAApril 28, 2016
My typical day started with email sorting. Next would be the followup emails and phone calls to customers and vendors followed by the review of paper work. Then the execution of the scheduled work was performed and finally the passdown of the work status to the customers, my supervisor and the schedulers.
Everyday was a potiential learning experience because of the vast number of instruments that I might be required to repair or calibrate. Manangement was supportive and when possible, provided us with the neccessary resources to perform our job effectively.
The hardest part of my job was not being able to clone myself. My talents were needed all over campus but there was only so much I could do in a day.
What I loved the most about my job besides the Genentech "culture" was the fact that the job that was entrusted to do directly impacted patients lives. That knowledge brought out the best in me and my co-workers and is the driving force getting me up and through each day.
Pros
Sabaticals, Charitable Events, Concerts, Piers and the general laid back culture that is Genentech.
Cons
Distance from home.
Great Company
Scientific Researcher (Contractor) (Current Employee) –  South San Francisco, CAApril 1, 2016
I work on PDX models on a daily basis. Measure tumors weekly and administer formulations via various routes to rodents.
Vibrant and fun yet intense workplace with politics heavily at play
Senior Finance Analyst (Former Employee) –  South San Francisco, CAMarch 15, 2016
Very nice and modern facility, good location, a lot of perks in terms of company events, celebrations, and free items. It is also a very community-oriented company.

However, career-wise, you have to be on the 'right' team to ensure that your career needs are met in terms of professional growth, interests, and advancement. Politics play VERY heavily within the workplace, and there are certain groups that have much better management and opportunities than others.

In my personal experience, there is a lack of transparency and consistency in messaging between mid-level management and employees. You have to know the right people, and have a friendship with the management to ensure job security and stability. It is unlike any other place that I have ever worked (as far the lack of professionalism displayed by mid-level management).

Overall, good for getting the experience of working in a global and well-recognized company. But very stressful and unpleasant work environment.
Pros
Company events, benefits, nice facility/ campus
Cons
Intense politics, unprofessional mid-level management
time management
Cognos Developer (Former Employee) –  SF, CAMarch 13, 2016
Me and my workers would finish our work on time assigned and we would freekout later. we would be dedicated to our work and used to have fun later with our team.
Expect long work hours
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMarch 9, 2016
With the Roche takeover several years ago 6am and 7am morning meetings became the norm in order to conduct meetings with colleagues in Basel, Switzerland.
Pros
Fairly good cafeterias on campus
Cons
Early morning meetings
Working at the BigG
Senior IP Litigation Legal Assistant (Former Employee) –  South San Francisco, CAMarch 7, 2016
I was extremely excited to get hired at Genentech. It appeared to be my dream job. It went very well for the first 2 years until I started to advise management of my goals and that's when everything turned around. The perks that they offer tuition reimbursement turned into a nightmare. It took months to get approved. I was required to write a memo why I should be allowed to receive $10,000 to advance my education so I could climb the corporate ladder which is not the procedure. The self-evaluation and the goals that I wrote for myself, I was told they could not be achieved and that I should do further research on the regulatory affairs. It is a very clickish place to work and if you don't do what your manager tells you, they can impede your progress and will refuse to transfer you to another department. It's not a minority friendly environment unless you are from another country. Overall, I would have to say if you have a good manager and the manager is fair you will do well at Genentech. Each department operates and is managed different. Genentech stresses to all of its employees that its a superior place to work so I suggest that if you find that a certain process doesn't work keep your thoughts to yourself.
Pros
Great benefits, worklife balance awesome
Cons
Terrible management, abuse of power
Genentech
Staffing Consultant/Recruiter (Current Employee) –  South San Francisco, CAFebruary 24, 2016
We focus our research and development practice on discovering and developing new medicines for unmet medical needs. Right now, the Genentech Research and Early Development pipeline has more than 20 new molecular entities in clinical development.
Genentech is a great company to work for with much opportunity to develop yourself in your professional career.
Clinical Specialist (Current Employee) –  South San Francisco, CAFebruary 15, 2016
I Enjoy working for Genentech where I have great opportunity to develop my professional career and to continue my success into leadership. I learned that the people at Genentech has a very unique culture in that they are a very caring and sharing group of professionals besides being the most talented people I've had the opportunity to work with. With many challenges from day to day our team continues to work together to collaborate and bring great teamwork around our targets and set the standard to great success. Working with and leading our team is the most enjoyable part of my job.
Pros
career development, autonomy, empowerment
Great company
QA Specialist (Current Employee) –  Vacaville, CAFebruary 10, 2016
Great company to work for. Gained great experience here in multiple departments. However, found it hard to move up after some time.
Productive and busy division
Management Associate (Former Employee) –  South San Francisco, CAFebruary 10, 2016
The supply chain capabilities division is one of the hardest working group at Genentech. The employees are intelligent and come up with great solutions.
Pros
Subsidized cafe, busses that provide transportation close to my apartment
Great company
Operational Excellence - OE Analyst (Former Employee) –  South San Francisco, CAFebruary 2, 2016
Amazing benefits, fun corporate culture, a little crazy busy sometimes, so life-work balance can be an issue, but they give you plenty of opportunities for growth and development.
Fun workplace
Scientist (Former Employee) –  South San Francisco, CAFebruary 1, 2016
Genetech is a fun place to work. There are many bright individuals that you are able to interact with daily. The organization is extremely large and can sometimes feel overwhelming.
Fun and relaxed workplace with free lunches and catered treats
Coverage and Reimbursement Case Manager (Current Employee) –  South San Francisco, CAJanuary 28, 2016
Access Solutions is a great company that emphasizes on excellent customer care and employee satisfaction. They are structured in order to provide each individual equal opportunities to grow and learn. The management provides the proper guidance for the employees to succeed and remain compliant. The co-workers are lax and diverse. The hardest part of the job is that this is contracted, so anytime you can leave without any notice. Other than that most enjoyable part of the job are the free lunches, food, treatments, and fun activities.
Pros
Free lunches, great team, and great pay
Cons
Contract Position, long hours, Review courses
Awesome company!
Contractor, Pro Unlimited (Current Employee) –  Oceanside, CAJanuary 27, 2016
Genentech's culture and benefits are legendary in the biotech industry and attract the best people to work with and for.
Pros
Total culture from people to benefits
Discriminatory Practices
Case Manager - Lucentis Contractor (Former Employee) –  South San Francisco, CAJanuary 17, 2016
Work was fast paced but doable. Management was awful, often having no idea how to lead a team. Co-workers were awesome. Occasional long hours during peak seasons.
Pros
Excellent transportation, cafeterias on-site, friendly co-workers, casual atmosphere
Cons
Are not accommodating to the disabled, poor management, redundant training exercises, little room for advancement, lots of contractors without hiring on

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Genentech. Our community is ready to answer.