Genentech Employee Reviews

Avoid Hillsboro
Engineer (Current Employee) –  Hillsboro, ORMarch 10, 2017
Avoid going to Hillsboro, unfortunately, the culture here is very political and hard to remain happy in. I would suggest finding another Biotechnology company or get a job in San Francisco.
Great work place
Planning Assistant (Current Employee) –  Vacaville, CAMarch 9, 2017
The everyday work environment is great at Genentech. The people are caring, helpful and ultimately kind. I learn something new everyday and continue to grow in the industry. I enjoy and take pride in being apart of helping our patients and give them the hope to move forward in their lives.
Pros
Great Benefit Package
Cons
N/a
Great Company!
Sr Staffing Consultant (Former Employee) –  South San Francisco, CAFebruary 28, 2017
It was my privilege to contract with Genentech between 2005 - 2016 (I had a number of contracts with them during that time). It's an amazing company to represent. As a Recruiter it was easy for me to discuss their mission and values with potential candidates. The employees are passionate, extremely talented and very passionate about their work and the company.
Pros
career growth, great resources, world renowned organization
Cons
N/a
Very progressive company.
Institutional Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAFebruary 28, 2017
Very good place to work. Very advanced and progressive company. Very up to date technology. Excellent benefits. Company was sold and Institutional sales force eliminated.
Great Place to Work Hard
Principal Manager (Former Employee) –  South San Francisco, CAFebruary 23, 2017
Loved the benefits, but was too busy to use most of them. Integration with Roche parent company is poor. Great opportunities for advancement and this is the place you want to be if you want to change careers within a company.
Great company who treats their employees with utmost respect
Scientific Researcher (Former Employee) –  South San Francisco, CAFebruary 23, 2017
Genentech is a wonderful place to be and feel like you are truly making a difference! Although your work experience highly depends on your team peers and manager, the overall company atmosphere is comfortable.
Pros
Good worker benefits
Cons
Contractors have limited access to some amenities
Productive and a fun work place to work
Manufacturing Lead Technician (Current Employee) –  South San Francisco, CAFebruary 23, 2017
Management is great and will help out when needed. The culture is great! Great work life balance. Lots of support and they don't run lean like other companies. There are enough technicians to do work and do not let burn out sit in.
Amazing Company to work for.
Benefits Intern (Former Employee) –  South San Francisco, CAFebruary 21, 2017
I loved being an intern at Genentech. It is an amazing company to work for since everyone was extremely nice. Everyone that I worked with were extremely helpful. I enjoyed going to work everyday.
Don't leave a job you love for them...
Reimbursement Specialist (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAFebruary 15, 2017
I loved the culture of the company! The management however is rude and the leads are unprofessional and not knowledgeable at all. Their systems are so dated and you will loose you skill set if you are a PC and Microsoft office user. Their processes are soooooo overwhelmingly indescribably stupid!
Pros
Cons
Pay
Gne
Contract Associate (Current Employee) –  South San Francisco, CAFebruary 11, 2017
Excellent company. GNE provides an ideal work atmosphere, has state of the art facilities, stellar coworkers, & sets you up for success.
contract
Intake Coordinator (Current Employee) –  South San Francisco, CAFebruary 9, 2017
I would only recommend working here if you have no job and are desperate. The whole time through the contact you are expendable and they will get rid of you right away. Contract based so you get no benefits. Free lunches here and there is cool. Job is tedious
Over Rated
Contract Case Manager (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAFebruary 9, 2017
Has a greater reputation than what it is cut out out to be, too much work place politics. Sales Force software is NOT USER FRIENDLY.
Phenomenal organization that places a priority on your professional development
Pulmonary Clinical Specialist (Former Employee) –  South CarolinaFebruary 8, 2017
I cannot stress enough how many development opportunities are at Genentech. I recommend taking advantage of these because the company sincerely wants employees to continue to create more value in the marketplace.
Awsome Company
Quality Control-Lab Support Intern (Former Employee) –  Vacaville, CAFebruary 5, 2017
While working I learned the importance of lab equipment in the pharmaceutical industry. Work culture is by the far the best i've experienced or heard about.
An excellent company that really cares about the patients and its employees
Business Analyst Intern (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAFebruary 5, 2017
An excellent company that really cares about the patients and its employees. The company has excellent leaders, competent people and very open culture for your future development.
Clique orientated
Case Manager (Current Employee) –  South San Francisco, CAFebruary 1, 2017
You have to kiss a%$ in order to get a permanent position. If they don't like you they will find a way to get rid of you even if its not a good reason.
Before the buyout
Research Associate (Former Employee) –  South San Francisco, CAJanuary 30, 2017
My experience at Genentech is from before they were purchased by Roche, so things have changed. But back then biotech was the start-up industry and a business darling. Many of the innovations in workplace culture were coming through the high-stress/ high-reward world of recombinant technology: liberal HR policies, nice benefits, good compensation, stock options, subsidized food and plush environment. The people were the best part, stressed but happy science geeks.

As with any large and growing business the level of change created tension in the workplace, whether it was changes in organizational charts or new buildings replacing your favorite parking lots. Of course the other side of that coin was the ability to take your experience from one area of the company to others both inside and outside your field.
Pros
Good folks, great mission.
Cons
High expectations, hard work
Large company with learning pains, technical communication issues but great benefits for perms.
Project Manager (Contract) PTDQ (Former Employee) –  SSFJanuary 24, 2017
Good company with excellent benefits for employees, however company goes out of its way to ensure disctinction between contract and permanent employees, including designated parking areas. Very collaborative, and decisions can take a while. Time and effort is afforded to come to the right decision.
Pros
Very collaborative.
Cons
Too collaborative
Great overall work environment and commuting services
Biomedical Technician (Former Employee) –  South San Francisco, CAJanuary 24, 2017
I was there for 6 months and enjoyed the environment.

All employees and managers that I met were very cordial and helpful.

Onboarding on company software programs took the longest time to implement, so it took longer for me to begin making contributions to the department.
Pros
Commuter buses
Cons
Onboarding new employees on software programs
If you ever have the opportunity to work at Genentech, take it. Won't be sorry.
A Member of the Roche Group (Former Employee) –  Jackson, MSJanuary 22, 2017
I was with Roche/Genentech for 16 years. They are very highly regarded within the pharma industry because of products, pipeline, management, sales teams and support staff. If you work hard and have success there is plenty of opportunity for advancement both in earnings potential and promotion.
Pros
Reputable, good products, pipeline, advancement potential, earning potential, benefits
Cons
I got caught up in a lay off after 16 years due to downsizing of our entire product team.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Genentech. Our community is ready to answer.