Genentech Employee Reviews

Large company with learning pains, technical communication issues but great benefits for perms.
Project Manager (Contract) PTDQ (Former Employee) –  SSFJanuary 24, 2017
Good company with excellent benefits for employees, however company goes out of its way to ensure disctinction between contract and permanent employees, including designated parking areas. Very collaborative, and decisions can take a while. Time and effort is afforded to come to the right decision.
Pros
Very collaborative.
Cons
Too collaborative
Great overall work environment and commuting services
Biomedical Technician (Former Employee) –  South San Francisco, CAJanuary 24, 2017
I was there for 6 months and enjoyed the environment.

All employees and managers that I met were very cordial and helpful.

Onboarding on company software programs took the longest time to implement, so it took longer for me to begin making contributions to the department.
Pros
Commuter buses
Cons
Onboarding new employees on software programs
If you ever have the opportunity to work at Genentech, take it. Won't be sorry.
A Member of the Roche Group (Former Employee) –  Jackson, MSJanuary 22, 2017
I was with Roche/Genentech for 16 years. They are very highly regarded within the pharma industry because of products, pipeline, management, sales teams and support staff. If you work hard and have success there is plenty of opportunity for advancement both in earnings potential and promotion.
Pros
Reputable, good products, pipeline, advancement potential, earning potential, benefits
Cons
I got caught up in a lay off after 16 years due to downsizing of our entire product team.
Great work culture
Data Scientist (Current Employee) –  South San Francisco, CAJanuary 20, 2017
The people here are wonderful and the work is interesting. There is a lot of attention to workplace satisfaction. The company works hard to make sure there are commute options.
Pros
Interesting work and good people
Cons
being a contractor with no benefits
QA Technical Product Manager (Current Employee) –  South San Francisco, CAJanuary 18, 2017
Great place to work, flexible schedule, and work from home options. My manager is very nice, friendly, and understanding. He gives you high visibility to upper management and never would take credit for your work. He is a great leader.
Excellent work culture
Senior Control Systems Engineer (Current Employee) –  Vacaville, CAJanuary 17, 2017
Excellent work culture,Employee caring company.Excellent opportunity for career growth.We migrated Honeywell Old DCS system to latest Experion Process Knowledge System Release 410.9
Good Company
Software Engineer (Current Employee) –  South San Francisco, CAJanuary 9, 2017
Good place to work. Good learning experience. Exposure to new technologies. Nice employees. Nice working atmosphere.
Pros
free commute
Cons
commute time
Productive, comfortable, and inclusive workplace
Quality Intern (Former Employee) –  South San Francisco, CAJanuary 8, 2017
I enjoyed the open and comfortable environment that Genentech had to offer. Everybody seemed to really enjoy going to work. Everyone in my department seemed to have great relationships.
Pros
comfortable workplace environment, paid travel, living stipend, competitive pay
Na
CBO (Current Employee) –  South San Francisco, CAJanuary 8, 2017
Good employee focused company.

Great employee benefits and high focus on employee development. Differs by team, but some people managers are really green in the area of managing and good be a challenge at times.
Great place to work with very smart people
Sr. Manager, Human Resources, Employee Relations (Former Employee) –  South San Francisco, CAJanuary 4, 2017
Genentech is a special company. I believe they have the best and the brightest scientists, working hard to improve patient lives and ultimately find a cure for cancer and other serious diseases.

As in all companies, there are questionable management issues, leadership transparency and practices that may not meet everyone's needs. But, overall, it is a decent place to work. Good salaries, benefits, some fun perks and true compassion for patient therapies. It just feels good to work there.
Pros
Good salaries, compettive benefits, nice give-backs to employees
Cons
Typical bureaucracy, company politics. Not great performance management processes.
Excellent way of posting All documents
Clinical Sales Specialist (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJanuary 1, 2017
worked for genentech for almost 11 years, it's a really good culture that also devoted primarily to science, people and colleagues are very personable and professional and nice to work with, genentech brings to market nothing up new and innovative ways of treating diseases
Pros
great
Cons
lengthy
Very good company to work for
Senior Engineer, Process and Project (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CADecember 26, 2016
Very good company to work for
Good management
Nice cafeterias
Nice benefits
My review.
Sr. Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  South San Francisco, CADecember 23, 2016
The last experience there was not a pleasant one. I experienced unfair practice by management, and was not given a fair chance to prove my side of the matters.
Pros
flexible
Cons
management has changed.
Good Workplace... Outside of My Department
Bioprocess Technician (Current Employee) –  South San Francisco, CADecember 22, 2016
Genentech is a great place to work, if you happen to have a job outside of the manufacturing floor. The culture is fun and there are a lot of events to go to. Unfortunately manufacturing is not always able to attend these events and misses out on a lot of the benefits of working at the company. If you don't mind working on off hours then this department is manageable, but you are required to work on weekends and holidays, very few exceptions. It is good to learn how manufacturing at the first biotechnology company works and the management team are all very approachable and friendly. The hardest part about this job for me is that there are not enough workers to manage a lot of the work. With changes to the shift structures I would have been a lot happier with this job.
Pros
Big events to attend, many perks, lots of free food at meetings
Cons
Not enough workers, long hours, off schedule, work on weekends
Great balance between play hard work hard
Process Transfer Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Vacaville, CADecember 21, 2016
Great place to work at. A great balance between playing hard and having fun. I learned a lot about the biotech industry through my experience here and worked with talented individuals. A typical day would be meeting with my manager for what project needs to be completed and a progress check.
genetec
Process Development Technician (Former Employee) –  South San Francisco, CADecember 18, 2016
Hours were nighttime shift which were tough on me. It was neat to learn how to go from the small scale bioreactors to the large scale ones. Coworkers ran the gamut.
Awesome Employer
Manufacturing Technical Specialist (Former Employee) –  South San Francisco, CADecember 16, 2016
Great place to work. Work is focused though one has to be careful not to get bogged down in "meetings" when there is work to be done. One has to be a self advocate to a certain degree and build a public network withing the company ( as well as producing solid results) to best strengthen an army of folks who are "on your side" so to speak ( I think this is an issue in any competitive corporate culture). Generally, co-workers are motivated and intelligent. The hardest part of the job is helping as many folks as you can while staying focused on your core responsibilities and projects. Most enjoyable part of the job is the great people who fill this company. Lots of fun!
Great culture and work environment!
Manufacturing Technician (Current Employee) –  Oceanside, CADecember 8, 2016
This was my first Pharmaceutical Manufacturing job, and I must say it has been a great learning experience. I would recommend this place to anyone but you must be a fast learner and worker!
Pros
Employees' want to train you, everyone is open to help, the bootcamp is very well-organized.
Fun place to work
Manufacturing Technical Specialist II (Current Employee) –  Oceanside, CADecember 6, 2016
Genetech Oceanside is a manufacturing site with a can do attitude. Most careers are related to manufacturing. It is a World Class Manufacturing facility with strong roots in Lean Six Sigma. They are community oriented with monthly grants awarded, volunteer time matching, and donation matching.
Never a dull moment
Project Coordinator (Current Employee) –  South San Francisco, CADecember 5, 2016
My days are hectic, fun, and always spontaneous.
Tons of meetings, tons of collaboration, and tons of great working relationships.
Pros
Great co-workers and teams
Cons
Long commute

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Genentech. Our community is ready to answer.