Genentech Employee Reviews in United States

Intern (Former Employee) –  South San FranciscoMarch 20, 2015
It's a Great place to work with highly motivated researchers. It can be very competitive so you always have to be on top of things.
nice
Validation Engineer- Cleaning (Current Employee) –  south san franciscoMarch 20, 2015
Perfect!!!! it is fun to work here, great work culture. its been 2 months and learned a lot from the GMP environment a highly enforced validation stratagies
Administration / Project Coordinator
Project Coordinator - Manufacturing Projects (Former Employee) –  south san francisco, CAMarch 19, 2015
Great perks, many opportunities for growth with the amount of classes offered to develop and enhance skills. Communication with upper mgmt. was a challenge however where you have people, you have communication challenges.
Genentech
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  South San Francisco, CAMarch 6, 2015
Great company to work for. Typical day was implementing SAP MM to migrate data from BPKS and POMS to new platform.

I learned a great deal about how Phama is created and chemicals interact with each other.

Co-workers were tense and worried about loosing there jobs so that made them very competitive and not very trusting of new people.

Most enjoyable part of the job. I enjoyed the "Ho Ho's". They were a lot of fun because we could invite our family and friends.
Pros
the work was very interesting and we were helping people for the greater good.
Cons
tense working environment, very competitive, not very friendly, a lot of game playing.
Great Company to work for
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  South San Francisco, CAMarch 5, 2015
Work at Genentech as a Contractor. Met very nice people and Genentech .A very good work environment and culture. Enjoyed my time working there and would love the opportunity to work for them , and again if a permanent opportunity was available.
Pros
great work environment and nice people to work with
Cons
does not hire permanent employees. choses to hire temporary service employees only
A good balance of work
Scientist (Current Employee) –  South San Francisco, CAMarch 4, 2015
Working here at Genentech in my department is pretty balanced when it comes to working. As long as you complete you're work, the day goes by pretty smoothly and I am fortunate enough to have a good team that I work with.
Pros
people, balance work/life, schedule, transportation
Cons
being a contractor employee
Challenging but always learning
CASE MANAGER (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAMarch 1, 2015
Even though there are many challenges, as an employee you will always be challenged to learn new things and stretch yourself to work outside your comfort zone.
Pros
great people to work with
Cons
sometimes lack of consistency
Associate Supervisor in Contracts Repository (Former Employee) –  South San Francisco, CAFebruary 19, 2015
Excellent benefits and pay. Excellent work life balance. The company is management heavy and they regularly ignore their management responsibilities. Job culture has a negative atmosphere where individuals are always on guard about offending others and negative repercussions.
Great place for science and break through medicine
Associate Director (Current Employee) –  South San FranciscoFebruary 17, 2015
They hire very "book smart" scientists and rely heavily on research and development. They have had the luxury of not needing tough sales, marketing or managed care strategies as they have typically been first in class. Most commercial employees are also "book smart" and Ivy League MBAs.
QA Selenium Lead
Onsite Coordinator & Lead (Current Employee) –  SFO CAFebruary 16, 2015
Manual and Automation testing (UI Automation)
• Manual Testing, Automation Testing using Selenium (Web Driver) and Java, Oracle SQL, QC or HP ALM, Web services testing using Soap UI & REST Client
• Having comprehensive knowledge in Agile Methodology, SDLC and STLC, SQA Methodology and tools to implement effective and efficient solutions to maintain customer/client satisfaction
• Currently working as an onsite coordinator and lead role in Genentech client projects, SFO, USA
• Utilize knowledge of Java to create automation test scripts
• Developed test scripts to automate process of testing in Selenium WebDriver and TestNG framework
• Experienced in Data Base testing, Smoke testing, Sanity testing, Integration testing, System testing, UA testing, E2E testing and Regression testing
• Experience in QA

Want to know more about Genentech?

Ask a question
No Room For Growth/Not good management
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  South San Francisco, CAFebruary 12, 2015
I seriously would not recommend anyone to work in my department. For as long as the Sr. Admin is still here, you won't learn a thing. She's afraid of losing her job, so she doesn't want her counterpart to know what she knows. I've complained to the director that I literally have nothing to do all day and nothing has been done. I have learned nothing. Nothing was enjoyable here. When I first started, I would always ask if she needed help with something or if she needed me to do anything. At the time, she was doing expense reports. She then told me that I couldn't do it because I was a contractor and contractors aren't allowed to do expense reports. That was a lie. After a little digging and research, I found out that ALL admins are required to do this and contractors are allowed to do this. I feel like I'm walking on eggshells all day here with her. What kind of work life is that. 1 1/2 years and I'm not free to say what I want. This lady is so sensitive and takes things too personally. Well, meaning if she does take offense, she must be doing something wrong.
Intake Coordinator (Former Employee) –  South San Francisco, CAFebruary 9, 2015
As an intake coordinator you're very much going to be doing a lot of mundane tasks. However the reward is knowing that you're helping people who need medical assistance the drugs that will help preserve their life.
Senior SAP Project Manager
Senior Project Manager - SAP and APO (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAFebruary 9, 2015
I am highly motivated MBA with over 15 years in SAP Project Management, Business process management, production support and Service delivery.
work hard play hard
Purification Bioprocessing Technician (Former Employee) –  Vacaville, CAFebruary 4, 2015
I am very proud to have been a part of such an amazing company, great group of people to work with, specially the management group was impressive. I was first touched by what Genentech did, and learning about the drugs they produce, how many people they help and how they are taking the lead in health and immunity among all the pharmaceutical companies around the world, specially their improvements in cancer cancer treatment which is the biggest beast today, I had to be apart of it.
There is a lot of room to grow in the company and it is encouraged which I really appreciated. I learned so much, the modo is work hard play hard and they really mean it. Every one puts in a hundred percent and in return they always have a way to thank us. My problem was that when you become permanent the rule was to do some time in the graveyard shift because the plants run 24/7. I tried for half a year almost and it was ruining me. It effected my health and because of that I couldn't give my hundred percent at work and I don't enjoy my work when I don't . On top of that, my lease being over and my mother finding out that she has cancer, was an extra push for me to quit my job and move back home to San Jose. If not it was a great job, very blessed to be apart of the company and I would have stayed there under other circumstances.
Not Recomended for contracted employee's
Maintenance Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Tigard, ORJanuary 30, 2015
I thoroughly enjoyed the atmosphere of being able to talk to peers, exchange idea's, and advance my own personal work life education. Beware of alternate agenda's from Management, and aware that you are expendable at a moments notice. The line is clearly drawn at employment.

It's hard to write a review from an unbiased point of view. I was working towards obtaining permanent employment, and let go without notice. My contract was scheduled for a 2yr run and cut in half, and was given a very poor reason for my dismissal.

My biggest regret was not given the opportunity to say goodbye to co-workers that I have the utmost respect for, and potential co-workers I would have been proud to work beside.

Once you cross the blue line though life at Genentech is good, and the benefits though not as good as when the company was by itself, are fair.
Pros
work environment, team, and proffesional atmosphere.
Cons
management attitude, good ole boy, yes man promotions. metric based work standard.
Top of the line company
Business Systems Analyst (Current Employee) –  South San Francisco, CAJanuary 13, 2015
I enjoy working with a broad group of regulatory submission writers, editors and software developers. I develop work instructions, training documentation and e-learnings for the roll-out of a new regulatory submission content management system.

This is my second engagement at the company. In my previous role, I supported system UAT testing activities for the ARISg Adverse Event Case Processing System as part of global regulatory compliance/reporting.

I volunteered to update and edit the Periodic Safety Update Report (PSUR) as it needed an extensive rewrite to help it pass an FDA audit. Additionally, I audited and verified system requirements and test cases, developed gap analyses and traceability matrices.

Both of these opportunities are unique views into the regulatory aspects of the pharmaceutical and biotechnology worlds.
Pros
great organization
Great work/life balance. Lots of projects, deadlines, timelines
Marketing Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  South San Francisco, CAJanuary 5, 2015
Great culture, good team players, lots of teamwork and projects. I learned a lot about pharmaceuticals and biotech. Sustainability projects focused on delivering better results, achieving milestones. Lots of great career pathing options.
N/a
System Training Specialist (Current Employee) –  South San Francisco, CADecember 8, 2014
A typical day consists of answering e-mails from our d-list, handling requests from functions we support, and working on projects. I continuously learn new things about the systems we use. Management does their best to make sure we have work/life balance. They for the most part are involved in developing our career and skill sets.
Productive environment who come together to save lives
Biotech Assistant (Current Employee) –  Oceanside, CANovember 20, 2014
This company is awesome although the temporary contract is scary. The people are awesome and management really care about their employees. This is the oldest established Biotechnology Company in the area and thoughts as well as processors are well planned.
Pros
benefits, hours, biology
Cons
contract worker, pay
Great company and culture
Medical Representative (Former Employee) –  South San Francisco, CANovember 20, 2014
Genetech was a great place to work. I though I would retire there. We focused on Women's Health and had a great product to sell. Management and staff provided autonomy to get the job done and make our numbers. I focused on a few specialties for the product we had. The focus was great and we knew what we had to do. There was a lot camaraderie among the staff.

4.2