General Aluminum Employee Reviews

A Desperate Company for Desperate People
Die Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Wapakoneta, OHMay 3, 2017
At General Aluminum they strive to advance those most like them, lazy. Hard workers get to do all the work, while the slackers get to stand by and watch. The Management is amazing, if amazing means they will lie to your face about anything and everything to fulfill their agenda. Be it overtime or job placement, they will screw you coming and going. They are quick to answer any questions with a confident, "I don't know." They promise to check in to any queries, yet never come through. They will show you a path of progression to greater wages and career fulfillment, but it's all smoke and mirrors. There is no path, but to back-stab and brown-nose. They do offer copious amounts of overtime whenever you don't want it and will provide layoffs to those who need money the most. Overall General Aluminum is a great place to learn what you don't want in an Employer.
Pros
employment
Cons
Where should I start...
fun place and interesting place to work
Molding Operator (Former Employee) –  Conneaut, OHApril 12, 2017
really enjoyed working at this place and meeting new and interesting people I enjoyed learning and knowing everything there is about molding plus the benefits are great
3 Star
Fabricator/Welder (Current Employee) –  OhioJanuary 29, 2017
Do not feel future with this company. Leaving due to wanting to find somewhere I find more fit for my skills and trades. A lot of promises not kept and thats all I have to say about that.
Enjoyed the work and my co-workers
Machinist (Former Employee) –  Wapakoneta, OHJanuary 25, 2017
I operated machine and did grinding as needed. After inspecting, I placed product for packaging. My supervisor and co-workers were great to work with. There is an open door policy which was beneficial to employees.
Pros
Friendly environment
Cons
Good environment, fun people an caring,
Machine Operator/Assembler (Former Employee) –  Fremont, IndianaJanuary 19, 2017
The company was good to work for..Had company get togathers..Good benefits...vocation time ...paid holidays..we produced excellent parts...
X-Ray Technician (Former Employee) –  Canton, OHOctober 24, 2016
This use to be a great place to work. The benfits suck and not knowing if you will have a job from day to day isnt cool. I would have stayed if more over time was offered
Qa cmm lab
Quality Control Inspector (Current Employee) –  Wapakoneta, OHOctober 5, 2016
What's up a good day in the CMM lab we have a meeting to see how the last shift of night went we get coupons from cash machines to check the metal to make sure they're all good so they can run but you a DOT audit checking the parts to make sure they're good before they get sent out our teamwork is pretty well management is ok
Denied my FMLA for son's birth. Never delivered on promises.
Quality Control Technician (Former Employee) –  Wapakoneta, OHOctober 3, 2016
I was promised wages and training for two years and they never delivered. Can't hold a quality manager, or other salary positions. My boss told me it wasn't good timing for me to take two weeks FMLA for son's birth-even though I am required to receive it. Instead, he promised I'd be able to ask for time off for appointments and shots with no repercussions, this turned out to be a lie. Had me train someone, promised it was to "make my life easier", then replaced me with them.
Pros
I advanced MYSELF a great deal.
Cons
Unlawful practices. Poor leadership. False promises.
Dirty, Disgusting , Provit Driven Pyramid t
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Texarkana, ARSeptember 2, 2016
Sweatshop , Pays next to nothing . A typical day would include going to your press and getting treated like a slave. Place is dehumanized and ran by provit driven crooks.
Pros
Getting off of work
Cons
Everything, Rate of pay isn't what it should be for jobs. Dirty
Responsibility
Machine Operator/Group Leader (Former Employee) –  Conneaut, OHJuly 11, 2016
I went in to that company not knowing how to do anything. I learned quickly and did my job to the best of my ability. My pay raises were always constant and by the time I had been there 3 years, I had been asked if I wanted to be a group leader in the new plant that was being built. I was appreciative that they thought I was ready to be a group leader. That, in itself, made me feel very confident. I learned fast, made mistakes, but through it all, I loved it. I would still be there if I hadn't moved.
I can't go into every detail of my job because there were a lot. I learned how to set up and run robotic machines and inspect the parts that came out of those machines. I trained new employees and transfers from other plants too. I enjoyed going to work every day.
Pros
Advancing quickly within the company
Cons
Leaving my job to move over an hour away
I really enjoy working for General Aluminum
Supervisor over 2nd shift machining (Current Employee) –  Wapakoneta ohioJune 25, 2016
I have learned a lot about machines, working with co workers, troubleshooting general maintenance, changing tools and offsets. I have been responsible for running the shift, I have worked in heat treat and casting.
Pros
we get fair breaks, and people are treated fairly
Cons
better insurance.
Not a high turn over rate, all felt like family
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Carrollton, TXApril 25, 2016
Always busy
I learned much about the business world
Management had continuous meetings to get everyone on the same page.
Co-workers were fun and enjoyable to work with
Hardest part was all the overtime took from family and personal life.
I loved all my customer accounts.
Poor equipment supplies poor enviornment poor staff poor tool supplies non functional equipment
Class 4 level Electrical maintenance technician (Former Employee) –  Conneaut OhioApril 10, 2016
I appreciate General Aluminum giving me the opportunity to work for them. I gave the company my best effort but the lack of respect for family time and poor work environment was too much for anyone to bear.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
sometimes no breaks short staffed lack of tools poor out dated equipment
General Aluminum is a great place to wok
IT Admin (Former Employee) –  Conneaut, OHMarch 24, 2016
General Aluminum is a great place to work. The people there have become like family to me. The hardest part of the job is the heat on the floor because it is a Foundry. I liked my bosses they were great teachers and were very patient.
Pros
Great People to work with
Horrible place to work
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Wapakoneta, OHMarch 18, 2016
Worked there for 2 years as maintenance. Terrible experience. Avoid at all costs. If you have to choose between scrubbing toilets at Burger King, and working at General Aluminum.... Invest in some toilet brushes.
Pros
3rd shift= alot of freedom.
Cons
Terrible, horrible, pitiful, useless management in all areas (H.R. Maintenance, Production etc)
i really enjoyed it there
casting (Former Employee) –  Wapakoneta, OHFebruary 17, 2016
learned how to run machines, use a paint gun, learned to work under pressure better, management was a joke, spills were the hardest part of the day
Pros
learned alot
Cons
short breaks management didn't care about employees
Work place is clean, Employees Friendly
Non Destructive Testing Tech Level 1 (Current Employee) –  Rootstown, OhioFebruary 12, 2016
While working company is productive but needs more advancement opportunities. Job involves the use of a liquid penetrant chemical to highlight defects in castings such as cracks not visible in normal white light. There are long hours involved due to rotation in staffing. The hardest part of job is the people in place as line leads and their ability to communicate.
Pros
You are part of safety for production of control arms for automobles
Cons
excessive days in row due to lack of holding on to employees
lack of communication from the management
Production Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Flowermound, TXFebruary 11, 2016
the people are so professional they take pride of they are doing,
but the management needs to improve their leadership with people.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
lack of leadership from the management
great workplace
Southeast Regional Manager (Former Employee) –  Carrollton, TXNovember 5, 2015
since the company was going through a huge change its not at all the same not even in the same location. my time here at this company changed within the year. i had a great boss that made sure he handled every situation and also i loved my co-workers they really trained people so well
Overworked and Underpaid
Furnace Tender (Former Employee) –  Conneaut, OHAugust 7, 2015
Typical work week 7 days, very high turnover rate due to 50+ hr weeks, lack of compensation. Large corporation doesn't care about employees or concerns. Many OSHA violations and company doesn't seem to care, they just are trying to make profit for their investors at any cost.
Pros
Paid lunch, all overtime you can handle
Cons
Lack of compensation for workload, no breaks/luch depending on what job your assigned, concerns to management are more than often ignored, Large corporation doesn't care about employees. Just their investors.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at General Aluminum. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9