General Aluminum Employee Reviews in United States

Work place is clean, Employees Friendly
Non Destructive Testing Tech Level 1 (Current Employee) –  Rootstown, OhioFebruary 12, 2016
While working company is productive but needs more advancement opportunities. Job involves the use of a liquid penetrant chemical to highlight defects in castings such as cracks not visible in normal white light. There are long hours involved due to rotation in staffing. The hardest part of job is the people in place as line leads and their ability to communicate.
Pros
You are part of safety for production of control arms for automobles
Cons
excessive days in row due to lack of holding on to employees
lack of communication from the management
Production Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Flowermound, TXFebruary 11, 2016
the people are so professional they take pride of they are doing,
but the management needs to improve their leadership with people.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
lack of leadership from the management
Responsibility
Machine Operator/Group Leader (Former Employee) –  Conneaut, OHJuly 11, 2016
I went in to that company not knowing how to do anything. I learned quickly and did my job to the best of my ability. My pay raises were always constant and by the time I had been there 3 years, I had been asked if I wanted to be a group leader in the new plant that was being built. I was appreciative that they thought I was ready to be a group leader. That, in itself, made me feel very confident. I learned fast, made mistakes, but through it all, I loved it. I would still be there if I hadn't moved.
I can't go into every detail of my job because there were a lot. I learned how to set up and run robotic machines and inspect the parts that came out of those machines. I trained new employees and transfers from other plants too. I enjoyed going to work every day.
Pros
Advancing quickly within the company
Cons
Leaving my job to move over an hour away
Horrible place to work
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Wapakoneta, OHMarch 18, 2016
Worked there for 2 years as maintenance. Terrible experience. Avoid at all costs. If you have to choose between scrubbing toilets at Burger King, and working at General Aluminum.... Invest in some toilet brushes.
Pros
3rd shift= alot of freedom.
Cons
Terrible, horrible, pitiful, useless management in all areas (H.R. Maintenance, Production etc)
Overworked and Underpaid
Furnace Tender (Former Employee) –  Conneaut, OHAugust 7, 2015
Typical work week 7 days, very high turnover rate due to 50+ hr weeks, lack of compensation. Large corporation doesn't care about employees or concerns. Many OSHA violations and company doesn't seem to care, they just are trying to make profit for their investors at any cost.
Pros
Paid lunch, all overtime you can handle
Cons
Lack of compensation for workload, no breaks/luch depending on what job your assigned, concerns to management are more than often ignored, Large corporation doesn't care about employees. Just their investors.
i really enjoyed it there
casting (Former Employee) –  Wapakoneta, OHFebruary 17, 2016
learned how to run machines, use a paint gun, learned to work under pressure better, management was a joke, spills were the hardest part of the day
Pros
learned alot
Cons
short breaks management didn't care about employees
Poor equipment supplies poor enviornment poor staff poor tool supplies non functional equipment
Class 4 level Electrical maintenance technician (Former Employee) –  Conneaut OhioApril 10, 2016
I appreciate General Aluminum giving me the opportunity to work for them. I gave the company my best effort but the lack of respect for family time and poor work environment was too much for anyone to bear.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
sometimes no breaks short staffed lack of tools poor out dated equipment
I really enjoy working for General Aluminum
Supervisor over 2nd shift machining (Current Employee) –  Wapakoneta ohioJune 25, 2016
I have learned a lot about machines, working with co workers, troubleshooting general maintenance, changing tools and offsets. I have been responsible for running the shift, I have worked in heat treat and casting.
Pros
we get fair breaks, and people are treated fairly
Cons
better insurance.
Not a high turn over rate, all felt like family
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Carrollton, TXApril 25, 2016
Always busy
I learned much about the business world
Management had continuous meetings to get everyone on the same page.
Co-workers were fun and enjoyable to work with
Hardest part was all the overtime took from family and personal life.
I loved all my customer accounts.
Disgusting Environment and employees are treated like someone serving a sentence
machinist (Current Employee) –  Conneaut, OhioMarch 5, 2015
To break the ice, the supervisor tells you all the things you'll be terminated for before doubting your integrity by actually feeling your boots to see if they're steel toe. He let's you know the moment you open a door to get some fresh air on your break, a camera photographs you and you're fired. He yelled at employees for being merely seconds late from a 10 minute break. The place is disgusting. It's by far the most unclean place I've ever worked in. The employees talk to you about a raise in 90 days of a whole quarter! So, you'll be paid peanuts and a quarter after working like a dog for 90 straight days because they expect 7 days a week. $9.25 an hour folks, which is like being paid while being in jail because the supervisors treat it as such. Doing anything there is worth far more than $9.25 but the area is a dump so people that work there consider it to be good money. Don't expect a savings account on that pay, and dont expect an easy job. Expect to be sore and treated like an inmate. I'd rate everything a zero out of 5 stars if I could.
Pros
the day ends
Cons
short breaks, can't get fresh air, it's like an oven in there even in winter, it's filthy, you're treated like a dog, cheap pay, continuous heavy lifting
great workplace
Southeast Regional Manager (Former Employee) –  Carrollton, TXNovember 5, 2015
since the company was going through a huge change its not at all the same not even in the same location. my time here at this company changed within the year. i had a great boss that made sure he handled every situation and also i loved my co-workers they really trained people so well
Not operated with a professional attitude.
Tool Room Attendant (Current Employee) –  Wapakoneta, OHFebruary 7, 2014
General Aluminum has a lot of ways to improve itself. The work force is constantly changing causing major quality issues partially due to the hours they are having people work and the pay the are receiving. Management seems to have issues communicating with each other and those that work under them. The company seems to have a lack of team spirit and pride in their work causing a large gap in quality that does not appear to be closing.
Pros
a paycheck until a better opportunity is found.
Cons
benefits, pay, care for the company, safety hazards, lack of respect for employees.
Verify that we are supplying the customer with good parts
Quality Technician (Current Employee) –  Wapakoneta, OHJanuary 11, 2015
I receive aluminum ingots that we melt down and pour into cast machines that I then test the metal chemistries in. After the parts are made I run them on a CMM that measures the parts and verifies they meet customer specifications. I test the mechanical properties and hardness of Heat Treated parts. I do visual inspections to look for anomalies that the customer will reject. My co-worker and I split these tasked. We work and communicate well together. For the most part we complete our work without needing our supervisor. It is a good feeling to be trusted that you will complete your work timely without being watched. Our job is not physical, but is stressful. It is nice that we don't have to stand in one place for 8-12hrs a day. Our job requires us to move throughout the plant.
Pros
learn new things and work with different kinds of equimpnent
Cons
managements descresion on customer specifications
Average job, horrible management
Maintenance Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Conneaut, OHJanuary 28, 2015
Job is ok, management is filled with bigots and racists. I left due to reprisal for reporting one of the managers for racist comments. Suddenly I'm expected to work longer hours, and if I don't it will reflect on my evaluations. If you have self-respect or a sense of fairness toward others, stay away from this place.
Pros
good work
Cons
management attitudes, filthy work environment (even for a factory)
the managment treated workers poorly
Machining Operator (Former Employee) –  Wapakoneta, OHJuly 8, 2013
I would clock in, walk to my station and sign in along with grabbing paper work. Then filling out the paper work for the machines I would run. Start the machining cycle fill the bins with raw parts. The continuing to file down parts. What learned from this job is how to work more as a team. The management was super poor with workers. They would treat us like dirt and didn't deserve respect witch is what later lead to over forty plus workers on one shift within a few months seek a new jobs. The hardest part of the job was having to work with people who would not put in the same hard work. The most enjoyable part of this job was I was always able to keep busy to make the day go faster.
Pros
lunches were paid
Cons
was always covered in machining oil
Horrible Place to Work
Machine operator for John Deere Parts (Former Employee) –  Wapakoneta, OHAugust 20, 2013
General Aluminum in Wapakoneta you will work 7 days a week and 12 hour shifts when needed. They staff the company by a different company called minutemen. I had 2 days off of work while I was employed there, and if you have an unexcused day off you will be terminated on the spot. They have a point system in place if you clock in late you lose half a point, one point is one day so if you show up late twice your terminated. 3 breaks on an 8 hour shift, 2 10 minute breaks and a 20 minute break for lunch, depending on where your at in the plant by the time you get to the break room its time to turn around and start walking back to your workplace. tobacco free facility if you are caught dipping your fired if you are caught smoking on the grounds to include your car your fired. if you leave the building while on the clock your fired once your inside you cant leave. I got yelled at for 15 minutes once for walking out to my car because I forgot my lunch on the passenger seat.
Pros
vending machines inside breakroom
Cons
everything else
Easy to work for. Supervisors are cooperative
Electrician & General Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Fremont, INNovember 7, 2012
Great people to work with. Good management. Good insurance benifits
Enjoyed working for a good company with good co-workers.
A Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Rome, GAMay 1, 2014
Troubleshoot and repair a machine, or do a PM on one,or work on a project. I learned things go better with everyone working together. Management always helped when I had a problem. My coworkers would help me when I got on something I wasn't sure about. The hardest part of my job was turning a machine over to the next shift when I didn't have time to get it running. The most enjoyable part of my job was to get a machine back on line when it was down.
Learned and experiences
Quality Manager (Former Employee) –  Conneaut, OhioApril 8, 2015
Typical work day started at 6:00 a.m. and ended at 5p.m. I also worked outside the plant and was on call 24 hours a day 7 days a week as there was no coverage for my position. I learned in great detail about aluminum casting and processes.
The most enjoyable part of my job was learning different processes, being part of a team and working in the automotive industry.
Was a very hot and sometimes unsafe place to work.
Finisher, mold operator, and furnace tender (Former Employee) –  Conneaut, OHMarch 25, 2012
This workplace was very hot and at times very unsafe to work. Advancement was not very easy to come across unless to knew them. The pay was low for the work we did and the employees were not the best in the business. The hired just about any one off the street.
Pros
easy place to get a job.
Cons
hot, unsafe, and not a pleasant place to work.

2.9