General Assembly Employee Reviews

Hard
Lead UX Instructor (Current Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 19, 2017
Hard work and not a lot of compensation for hours they expect you to put in when teaching the FT Immersive classes. People are trying, but no real room for growth.
Exciting workplace of open growth
Analytics Manager (Former Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 17, 2017
The workplace was 'make it as you please' in that if you are willing to initiate projects there is an open field of creative possibilities. Yet, the company seems fairly set in its ways and already peaked in its growth. Interesting for those seeking to work between education and employment.
Good experience
General Assembler (Former Employee) –  Wooster, OHNovember 14, 2017
Hired temporarily to assemble firefighting nozzles and equipment.
Some of my responsibilities included picking parts for production jobs, shipping customer orders, and counting and reconciling inventory.
Experience in a factory environment where I gained familiarity with shipping and receiving products using an ERP system.
Fun company with little upward movement at the moment
Front Lines Lead (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAOctober 22, 2017
GA is going through a lot of changes at the moment that is affecting how they have been doing things in the past. Good in some ways, however there is little room for upward mobility at this time and a lot of managerial shifting.
Excellent Supplemental Income as a Freelancer
User Experience Design Instructional Assistant (Former Employee) –  San Francisco, CAOctober 10, 2017
I worked at General Assembly while I was looking for full-time work as a UX Designer. The hours were perfect for looking for full-time work, which we know in itself is a full-time job. I was paid well for the work that I did, and was able to support myself while looking for work. My management team was incredible and supportive.
Inspiring Environment!
UX Design Instructor (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXSeptember 18, 2017
Great culture and coaching. I was hesitant to teach design in front of adults who had invested so much time and money into taking the course. The course producers are excellent at coaching you HOW to teach. I was able to utilize my visual design skills to enhance lessons. With practice and feedback I perfected my delivery and content to make the best learning environment for all students. I loved teaching!
Pros
super collaborative and supportive environment
Cons
no benefits, pay could be better
Fast paced environment
Trim (Current Employee) –  Wentzville, MOSeptember 13, 2017
Working at General Motors is a very physical job. The management is ran a little backwards. There is barely any communication between the floor management ant the big guys. Therefore the people in general assembly get the bad end.
Pros
The free benefits
Cons
No job security
It's a "Start-up"!
Receptionist(Front-lines) (Former Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 11, 2017
I worked here for a few years and in a service position at that. I would say the job was not particularly hard, just stressful and often throughout the years it felt largely unsupported and unheard. As a start up it should be expected there are growing pains. Lots of it. I worked at the largest Campus, FYI, these are not noted issues in other smaller locations. I wouldn't recommend this position to someone looking to make a career of it, but I would perhaps recommend the company. The overall intentions are in the right place, their methods of execution, on the other hand, has changed.

Its all about what you are looking to get out of your career. It worked very well for me in the time frame I gave it.
Pros
Great people. Long-lasting Connections
Cons
Start-up growing pains, Unsupported. Lack of a voice
Fun
UX Designer (Former Employee) –  Boston, MASeptember 11, 2017
It was a fun place. Everyone is so supportive and friendly and the working type is really flexible. We got to have so much fun working here. Best work place.
Student | Web Development Immersive
Student (Former Employee) –  Providence, RISeptember 9, 2017
I thought the program went well. I was really excited to start, and I am satisfied with the new technologies and skills I took away. My instructors were knowledgeable and helpful.
Great Program
Web Development Immersive Student (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 31, 2017
The teachers and staff were super supportive. The lectures were very fast paced, but the teachers were always willing to work with students one on one if they were struggling with a topic. The projects were demanding, but achievable and very useful in learning the materials.
Good Workplace
Collections and Billing Manager (Current Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 17, 2017
This is a growing startup with a very bright future. maybe in a couple of years it will be an awesome company. Lost of change at the moment and very fast paces due to its nature.
Pros
Very Good environment
Cons
I have nothing to add at this moment
Do not care about the employees or the temps
Laborer (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKAugust 10, 2017
Company makes many promises to the temps and then lies about it. I would not recommend that youu work for this company unless you want to get jacked around most of the time.
Pros
Cons
poor management
Decent place
Full Stack Web Developer (Former Employee) –  SeattleAugust 8, 2017
Decent place to work although not the most challenging technological environment. Challenging to those that are interested in developing their teaching and communication skills, however, the culture is dominated by sales and marketing.
A relaxed atmosphere with fun people
Front Lines Associate (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CAAugust 7, 2017
GA is a relaxed, productive academic environment. A typical day is full of lulls with interval bursts of activity, including heavy lifting and AV work.
Productive and a lot of pace to think and write your ideas on the walls
Teacher Assistant (Current Employee) –  Santa Monica, CAAugust 6, 2017
It is a really productive place where you meet a lot of people, you're super welcoming and you don't feel the work.
In fact, definitely a place to enjoy what you do and to share the knowledge with those around you.
Pros
You always meet and learn something new.
Cons
nothing that I can think of for the moment
Fun Place but turnover is quick
Regulatory Intern (Former Employee) –  New York, NYAugust 4, 2017
The product itself is really cool, online learning courses that are focussed on coding and big data, etc. But there was a lot of turn and burn with most employees not being on more than a year and a half.
Fun work place
General Assembly worker (Former Employee) –  Lexington, TNJune 21, 2017
I wish breaks were longer but overall a great company to work for as far as assembly. A little warm but 100 on climate control. Great benefits and hours.
Pros
Stable
Cons
Longer breaks
Great opportunity
Assembler (Former Employee) –  Chatsworth, CAJune 12, 2017
Working assembly was a fast passed environment, very detailed, but overall a wonderful experience. There was a lot of opportunity to meet a wide variety of people that I probably wouldn't have met otherwise.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
short breaks
Data Science Immersive Program
Full-Time Data Science Immersive Student (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 2, 2017
In addition to learning how to acquire, clean, analyze and model data, I learned how to look at and approach problems from different angles while keeping time and resource constraints in mind, how to work collaboratively with other data scientists and how to communicate data-driven projects to diverse audiences.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at General Assembly. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3