General Cable Employee Reviews in United States

Company Headed in The Right Direction
Process Engineer (Current Employee) –  Du Quoin, ILFebruary 18, 2016
The new management team has adopted excellent plan for the way forward. This company has chosen to care for customers and employees. The best is yet to come!
Great environment. A few Bad managers
INDUSTRIAL ELECTRICIAN (Former Employee) –  Sedalia, MOJanuary 27, 2016
The environment was great. Most all of the people I worked with I got along with very well. Unfortunately There are a couple managers that are just too shady, don't know what they are doing and making bad decisions and trying to throw employees under the buss because of it.
Pros
low stress, good people on the floor
Cons
bad management
management needs training
Kinreis Operator (Former Employee) –  Highland Heights, KYDecember 3, 2015
unskilled management, they don't abide by the hippa laws. They only care about there buddies. there Open door policy is a lie and they promote harrassment.
Pros
job
Cons
management
fast paced work
lean cell leader (Former Employee) –  Altoona, PADecember 2, 2015
Every night I'd go through our work, then order parts that we needed for the entire shift, get everything written up then start, Management was great willing to listen to our concerns and correct anything that wasn't right. I worked with an awesome crew who were there for the same thing I was to make as much money as we could and we worked hard. The hardest part of my job was making sure everything was correct, some nights it was what we'd call easy work and other nights there were a lot of changes we had to make so I had to be on top of everything.
Pros
free lunches for safety and good work, free t-shirts
Cons
horrible health care
Hard work and great benifits
ORDER PICKER OPERATOR (Former Employee) –  Lebanon, INOctober 29, 2015
I would check my fork lift and make sure it was operational, login to my RF scanner, pick orders all day long. I moved close to 10,000 pounds a day. My co-workers would sit on there cell phones instead of working, but when it was cram time, it seemed like we did exceptionally well. Hardest part of my job was moving that kind of weight day in and day out. The most enjoyable was having a 45 minute lunch.
very unorganized work place
Primary Operator (Current Employee) –  Jackson, TNOctober 21, 2015
The company needs new management to improve the culture and production. front office does not follow policies and does not enforce them on those who have been there the longest. There is not a mix ethnic group in the front office.
Pros
get paid every week
Cons
you may come in to work and be sent home because of no work or broke equipment
Poor management decision made competition strong
Senior Field/Sales Application Engineer (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TX (Home Based Office)October 20, 2015
Senior management does not know the difference between investment and expenses. Employees fall under expense not investment.
Pros
Training programs
Cons
Self centered management like all is well..
terrible
Cv helper, forklift driver (Former Employee) –  Scottsville, TXOctober 19, 2015
I have to say my experience was terrible. Actually needed this job to help pay for school. The had a job fair, turns out they hired way to many people, ran up all the production. we basically spent 2 weeks cleaning machines, and since I didn't meet the 90 probation period, I got laid off.
Pros
work hours
Cons
they fire and hire A LOT
Desd end job
Operator (Current Employee) –  Marion, INOctober 5, 2015
No room for advancement, degree or not. Good place if you just want to work and go home. Slow pay raises, weakened union has pretty much given into corporate.
Pros
not hard work
Cons
no future
Benefits were great.
Machine operator (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, RISeptember 25, 2015
The guys/ Family I worked with were great. Benefits were great, but little room for advancement. The work environment was also a union shop so most of the time you were place in difficult situations. don't feel comfortable and also don't like speaking negative about previous employers so I wont comment further, but over all the guys that worked there were outstanding.
Excellent place to work
Maintenance Electrcian and Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Franklin, Ma.September 3, 2015
Well Plant is closing
Moving out of Massachusetts
Would of stayed at this employer till retirement
Maintenance team awesome
commute was 2 miles
Going through drastic re-structuration.
Sales (Former Employee) –  KYSeptember 2, 2015
Un-articulate operation constantly changing without much thought and care for Customers or employees. Unstable employment situation . High turn over rate. Great ability to acquire and destroy good profitable companies.
Pros
Big Corporation, 500 Fortune
Cons
Low salaries. Having a hard time meeting its own goals and principles.
productive and fun workplace
machine operator (Current Employee) –  marshall txAugust 17, 2015
good job and good co workers. keeps you busy makes your shift not so long. laid back supervisor. good place to work. its a fun place to work. Once you get the hang of it its not bad at all.
Pros
laid back good enviroment
Cons
hrs lost
good place to work but alot of drama between co workers
Data Communications Operator (Former Employee) –  Lawrenceburg, KYAugust 7, 2015
didn't really enjoy not having a supervisor around because people ted to take advantage of one another rather than equal out the work force
Pros
laid back and easy going
Cons
no supervision at all
Systems Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Altoona, PAAugust 3, 2015
General Cable was a great place to work. They treat there employees with respect and offer a lot of incentives. Anyone who's considering a job at General Cable should accept.
Same place different name.
Production Control Specialist (Current Employee) –  Franklin, MAJuly 28, 2015
Not bad at first but then went down hill after plant manager died. It is closing within the year. It was ok. It is very depressing and people are leaving and more work is being sent out to other workers.
Pros
Nice coworkers
Cons
A lot of mistrust.
Fun and productive work.
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Williamsport, PAJune 6, 2015
The coworkers made the shifts enjoyable. They trained me well on each machine and made sure I was very knowledgeable when it came to each task.
Great Pay
Machine Operator (Current Employee) –  Scottsville, TXApril 27, 2015
It's great pay and there's always an opportunity to advance to a higher position. It sticks more with the "clicks" and buddy system which makes it uneasy to work with certain employees
Now one stays for long
EHS Manager (Former Employee) –  Du Quoin, ILMarch 18, 2015
If you are with the cliche, you get to stay for a few years... until the next cliche forms. If you are good, you will be pushed up quickly and soon find yourself above your skill level.
The Atlanta Marketing and Sales Operations team was high energy and focused on building the General Cable brand internally and externally.
Senior Corporate Communications Analyst (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAFebruary 27, 2015
The Marketing group operates in a dynamic environment where new ideas, concepts and projects are launching all the time. To excel in this environment, the team must exhibit a "roll up your sleeves" mentality to follow through on the execution.

What's not working? What would work better instead? These are challenges that our group was consistently presented with. Leveraging our collective business acumen and interpersonal skills, we develop, implement and support a variety of successful marketing initiatives. We are strongly supported and mentored by a manager who empowers the group to make decisions, form processes, bring ideas to life, and make a real impact on our group's success.
Pros
excellent training and development opportunities
Cons
not many growth opportunities