General Cable Employee Reviews

Not well ran
Equipment Trainer (Former Employee) –  Lebanon, INFebruary 8, 2018
Management is poor, not a good place to grow. Lack of reasoning behind things and procedures. No room for promotions or advancement. Only good side is they pay you based on what you know(skill wise.)
Lack of structure
Manager (Current Employee) –  Lawrenceburg, KYJanuary 22, 2018
It's an ok place to work. Somewhat stressful and sometimes lack teamwork. In the process of being sold so the future is uncertain as to what direction the company will go in.
Life at General Cable
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Sedalia, MOJanuary 9, 2018
This place is a horrible place to work that does not care about family life or new employees. Also, it was very difficult adjusting to the swing schedule.
Pros
days off during the week at times
Cons
swing shift, over night, poor training
Job atmosphere
General Assembler (Former Employee) –  Altoona, PAJanuary 8, 2018
I enjoyed the different jobs that I had. I always had many jobs to do every day that I was at work. I got along with my coworkers. We had fun while we worked. My supervisor is a good friend of mine, so we worked well together. A hard part of my day was when I would find errors and have to help a worker correct it.
Pros
Nice family gatherings and outings
Cons
The business got sold to Mexico
Briefing at shift change. A reminder of safety first making sure what product is being ran and checking( TOI).)
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Marshall, TXJanuary 3, 2018
briefing of their shift. A reminder of safety first. making sure each shift produce a million and a half feet per shift. i enjoyed my job! the hardest part is making sure the product is correct.the most enjoyable part of the job is meeting production dead line. working as a team in each department
Pros
20 min.Lunch 10 minutes breaks
Cons
in my position you eat on the fly
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Jackson, TNJanuary 3, 2018
Loved working at general cable but they wasn’t paying me enough for the amount of work I was doing, the hrs they keep you in there. Jus really ain’t work it.
Pros
Free lunches, meet great people
Cons
Being in there 12hrs 3 Days in a row
Its a semi-productive place to work!
Extruder Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Jackson, TNDecember 14, 2017
It was a good job overall , pretty good pay, benefits, I needed better hours. I preferred day shift to be with family, I needed better benefits, due to my family!
Pros
Freedom, relaxed work enviroment!
Cons
Long hours everday.
n / a
Forklift Operator/ Shipping & receiving (Former Employee) –  Malvern, ARDecember 7, 2017
nothing to state. Plant shut down and hundreds of people lost their jobs. Good job while it lasted. Terrible management on qa/qc and time management.
Pros
Good job while it lasted
Cons
Poor managment
Fast Paced
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Scottsville, TXNovember 24, 2017
Its a job you would learn over night. On the job training occurred but needed more one on one time. Co-workers were great to work with. Management needed a little help with more time with the new employees. Benefits were okay. Plant shutdowns is the only time you could use vacation time until about your 8 year mark.
cutthroat
Operator/Laborer (Former Employee) –  Altoona, PANovember 13, 2017
General Cable was a very cutthroat place to work. Employees would sell out another employee to make that extra dollar for the day and management was no better. They liked to spend company money on daily lunches for their selves, but this place is no closed permanently.
Overall a good workplace
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Jackson, TNOctober 13, 2017
Generally a good work environment. The benefits were very good. Management was ok, few exeptions. we had chiropractor service at the plant. Fitness center included. I had regular job promotions as well as raises
Run away
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Scottsville, TXOctober 12, 2017
Promised one thing while being recruited. Rotating 4 on / 3 off, 3 on / 4 off working 12 hour shifts. Actual 7 on no off for months at a time.

Management would not fix machines and would push them beyond what was safe. Resulting in loss of product and injuries to employees.

Run Away!
Pros
great pay and benefits
Cons
Management is dishonorable and does not care about employees
good place to work too many hours
Cutter Operator (Former Employee) –  Lebanon, INSeptember 29, 2017
6 days a week 10 hours a day little time for much of a life after that, good pay ,paid breaks management is not very hands on and out of touch with production
Pros
paid breaks
Cons
too many hours
Fast Paced / Work-Life balanced
Inside Sales Representative (Current Employee) –  Highland Heights, KYSeptember 25, 2017
Great place to work, everyone is friendly and helpful, close to all major highways. NKU traffic can be bad at times. Some communication is lacking between the various business teams
Pros
Cafeteria on site and Starbucks coffee for all
Cons
Cliques
Great Place to Work
Ops Reporting & Fixed Asset Accounting Consultant (Current Employee) –  Highland Heights, KYSeptember 18, 2017
Highly Successful Company, with great leadership and company culture. Excellent opportunity to grow from within and experience many levels and facets of the company.
Alright Place
Extrusion Operator (Current Employee) –  Scottsville TxSeptember 14, 2017
Company is decent.. Work decent hours with decent pay. Pay could be better
insurance is really not good deductible is to high other then that company will make you a decent career
Great Management and Support
ELECTRICAL ENGINEER (Current Employee) –  Jackson, TNSeptember 13, 2017
Excellent management and support. Great team to work with. Everyone is treated with respect. There is opportunity for promotion. I would recommend GC to anyone/
was a good job
Warehouse Operator (Former Employee) –  Altoona, PAAugust 29, 2017
was a good job untill they movied to mexico thanks for telling allb of us not to worry and than in a year movied production there and then told us in warehouse we are safe then in a other year move warehouse to mexico so thanks general cable after 19 years
Good company to work for.
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Malvern, ARAugust 28, 2017
Making Electrical cable. plant is now closed, have to move to east texas to work for this type of plant that was once here in malvern. Coworkers were great to work with.
I would not recommend General Cable to anyone
Line Operator (Current Employee) –  Lawrenceburg, KYAugust 24, 2017
General Cable treats their employees awful. They continue to take from the employees and do not care about how their shifts affect people. I wouldn't apply at all.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at General Cable. Our community is ready to answer.