General Cable Employee Reviews

Great place to work!
Maintenance Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Sedalia, MONovember 11, 2016
I transitioned out of the military into a position at the Sedalia plant. The people are super friend and the corporation is doing it's best to implement some outstanding Values & Behaviors. These V&Bs are the reason I was attracted to GC. There aren't many companies in the world who truly care about their people!
Pros
Caring Company, good Salary, Friendly people
Cons
In this plant, some people can't get past the GC buy out of Alcan
TLC Logistics doesnt exist anymore
Forklift Operator/ Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Chino, CAMay 21, 2016
Sorry but its a different company now. I will say that when it use to be TLC Logistics it was great. Fast paced environment, always kept me challenging myself to be faster while keeping accuracy. I was able to move up even though it was a dead end, it was good while it lasted. Management was horrible do to supervisors always playing around with other employees which resulted in employees getting fired for "going to far" but overall great benefits awesome pay.
maintenance coordinator and manager are incompetent
Electrician (Current Employee) –  Sedalia, MOJanuary 22, 2017
You hire a person that knows nothing about maintenance or how to do the job. Don't listen to anyone else and it's never there fault. Have wasted more money and employee time redoing stuff they can't design or envision.
Good old boy system in full force in this place. No training and the same old excuse, No money!!!
Have a couple people in the shop that try to keep things going and look out for you but management won't help you. They just want everyone to do there job for them.
Pros
some talented employees
Cons
no management, Good old boy system
Good
Lift Truck Operator (Current Employee) –  Lincoln, RIJune 7, 2016
General Cable is a good place to work. management is ok, the pay is ok and the workers work well with each other. I liked driving the forklift.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
continus operation
This is a place of zero work ethics and morals
Maintenance Technician Journeyman/Intermediate (Current Employee) –  Malvern, ARDecember 22, 2016
Management SUCKS!!! They have zero leadership, no forethought or planning,total chaos with everything a knee jerk reaction.This is the only place that I have ever worked where your pay is often times short and takes weeks to resolve.There is no continuous-improvement because management cannot follow through with absolutely anything.
Pros
The pay
Cons
management, hours, healthcare
Mechanical Tech III (Former Employee) –  Marshall, TXJune 16, 2016
Great place to work but the benefits were not so good. Enjoyed getting to weld everyday and I enjoyed the atmosphere. I wouldnt have left, but I was offered better benefits at fowler trucking
Management is like a bunch of cackling chickens.
Laborer (Current Employee) –  Paragould, ARJanuary 15, 2017
Management doesn't do anything. HR department is very unsupportive and unstable. The job is a good job for the location but definitely could use better upper management.
Pros
Days off through the week
Productive and fun workplace
General Assembly (Former Employee) –  Altoona, PAJanuary 8, 2017
I loved working for this company. I was an employee for 17+years and wish I could have been there a longer term but sadly this company moved to Mexico and got bought out by another company.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Bad Management
Human Resouce
Recruiter (Former Employee) –  Lawrenceburg, KYAugust 15, 2016
I worked for them a short time with the new human resource manager. Very negative experience due to her and the working environment she created. I was given a table in a very dirty room with no AC and no phone line. Training and expectations were non existent as well. Very strange for such a large company. I was there only a short time and was in a position that should have had a desk and phone access for sure. The HR manager was supposed to be my boss but i only seen or interacted with her maybe less than one hour the whole time i was there, she was always leaving early or taking off even though she had been their less than a month herself.

I dont see this as a place to work for anyone in the office or the floor due to her or her attitude towards people in general.
Cons
good
Picker Orders And Loud traucks (Former Employee) –  Altoona, PAFebruary 8, 2017
Go in to work do or job then go home.Not seeing the people aging The people like working there it was like we where family

The hardest part of the job was when the doors closed All the years working the people.Was the most enjoyable part of it
Pros
1/2 hr
Cons
10 min Breaks Good healthcare

Want to know more about General Cable?

Ask a question
Industrial line for a large company
Engineering Intern (Former Employee) –  Malvern, ARDecember 25, 2016
A typical day was spent shadowing engineers and line supervisors. I learns many solutions and techniques for line system maintaince. The most enjoyable part of the job was experienceing each part of the factory and learning how the industial line operates.
An ever changing area that new employees will need to learn fast.
Telecom Jacketing Operator (Current Employee) –  Lawrenceburg, KYJuly 25, 2016
I go to my line receive information about the product, how the previous shift went, and if any maintenance was used.
I have learned a lot about the people here and what to expect from them as well as what is expected of me.
The management is hired from outside the pant so they will need to be trained by the employees.
The hardest part of the job is getting used to the idea that I will need to learn 2 other jobs in the plant in order to receive my full amount of pay.
A good and fair place to work.
Extruder operator (Former Employee) –  Franklin, MAJuly 28, 2016
General Cable was a good place to work where management valued quality work and quality people. I learned team work and its value. A typical work day would include performing my extruder operator duties and communicating with R&D Dept. The hardest part of the job was the closing and the most enjoyable was the team work culture.
Pros
Valued input
Cons
Closed
Fast paced production environment
Plant Manager (Former Employee) –  Jackson, TNMarch 20, 2017
Daily tasks include review of production targets, quality metrics, customer visits, new product offerings, cost reduction projects, and plant communications meetings.
Pros
Team development
an ok, place to work.
Material Handler/Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Lebanon, INMarch 28, 2017
As a company, General cable isn't a horrible place to work. Simple work, though most of the parts picked are some what heavy...50 Lbs+ but it is easy work.
It's not a place for advancement
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Jackson, TNSeptember 3, 2016
U have to be in good with management to keep ajob...hard work doesn't matter if management don't like u. They have had supervisor and employees come and go in my 6 years there. Hard work is not appreciated, only brown nosing
Pros
Good money
Cons
Bad hours
warehouse associate
Warehouse Associate/Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Altoona, PAOctober 30, 2016
I went in and picked orders and prepared order for shipping, load and unload trucks and supported the production floor with materials and removed finished goods to warehouse.
Pros
experience
Cons
closed and moved to another country
Benefits were great.
Machine operator (Former Employee) –  Lincoln, RISeptember 25, 2015
The guys/ Family I worked with were great. Benefits were great, but little room for advancement. The work environment was also a union shop so most of the time you were place in difficult situations. don't feel comfortable and also don't like speaking negative about previous employers so I wont comment further, but over all the guys that worked there were outstanding.
Productive in a cross-trained team environment
Material Handler / Warehouse Lead (Former Employee) –  Vineland, NJJune 12, 2014
The usual work week was 6 days a week, 10-12 hours each day. Our team would work until all orders were filled. The morale was great and our team became comparable to a family. I learned to drive a forklift, cherry picker, and stand up lift, and powerful leadership skills from management. Management identified my abilities to lead and mentored me in key areas for success. During management's lunch and meetings, I would lead co-workers and help them with RF scanner issues, product discrepancies, and handle any other problems that would arise in that time frame while performing my own duties. The hardest part of the job was when my team learned that General Cable was closing their doors. This was a wonderful job. The most enjoyable part of the job were my co-workers and the sense of completion when the orders were all filled at the end of the night.
Pros
Optional lunch break length (half hour or hour), trust among employees and management, plenty of overtime, very productive environment, great benefits and bonuses
Cons
There were none
Not a bad place to work, has a gym small one, benefits are ok
Operator (Former Employee) –  Jackson, TNJune 28, 2016
Typical work day is 12 hours, depending on the job once you get the machines up and running, it was pretty laid back for a few hours until you had to reload material or fix breakouts. you work a rotating schedule and 12 hours can be a long day and have to work ever other weekend no matter what. Hardest part of the job was the co workers. There was always some drama going on.
Pros
The work schedule
Cons
The work schedule

Ask a question about working or interviewing at General Cable. Our community is ready to answer.