General Construction Employee Reviews

it was good work. 8-10 hours a day. no benefits though
Pacific Development & Restoration (Former Employee) –  McMinnville, ORJanuary 5, 2013
a typical day at work was usually from 7:30am to 5:00pm. 30 minute lunch and 2 15 minute breaks.

i learned a lot in the construction world. how to operate a skidster, apply shingles to a roof, demolish a house, remove anything and everything from a home with my hands, frame walls and set trusses, install temporary power polls, pour concrete.

the management was good. our demo crew was managed by a foreman for a while then i was put in place as crew manager.

my co-workers were great. we all got along and joked around but got the job done at the same time.
Pros
getting the weekends off, working with friends, good pay, payed to drive to jobs
Cons
no benefits, too tired for social life on the week days.
Constantly on the road and no benefits.
laborer for steel constructors inc (Current Employee) –  Spring Valley, MNMarch 7, 2015
working on the road in various states during the week doing general construction on A.O. Smith harvester silos and digester tanks for both private farmers and state contracted projects. The job is not too hard physically and is a good job for someone young like myself it is hard as a homeowner and husband to be gone on the road every week. Co-workers are for the most part enjoyable to be around but there is very little leadership or good direction from superiors when the boss is away. The hardest part of my job is that while I do receive a fairly decent wage, we are given no benefits and are laid off for an unknown period of time during the winter.
Pros
chance to travel and see new things and not have the same work day every day.
Cons
upredictible work schedule, no benefits, too much travel for someone family oriented.
Job
Transportation/Heavy equipment operator (Former Employee) –  Santa Clarita,caSeptember 4, 2014
Start up procedures Rigging Safe working load on rope & wire, Transit set up & accurate reading, Read engineer ruler, Preventative maintenance, soils, front & back bucket skills, supervisor skills, Teaching skills, grade checking, air brakes, loading trucks, color codes for dig alert, oxygen acetylene
Cutting, hand sign, cubic yard formal, first aid & accident procedures
• Experience: Class A Driver for Mission Produce with responsibilities for all aspects of supply chain distribution.
• Responsibilities include inventory control and management of all products within my control.
• Delivered product to various distribution centers within my routes.
• Off season duties included: ripening room construction which required significant use of electrical, welding, drywall and general construction skills
Pros
great boss
Cons
wanted something differnt & benifits
We enjoy our work and have fun sometimes doing it.
Working Owner oper. (Current Employee) –  Tri state-OH-KY-IN.October 28, 2013
My job at southeastern wood treating was pretty fast pase. I checked loads in and spot checked the loads going out after checker had already checked loads.Ever once in a while there was some discipline to be handed out and sometimes even discharging a person if the problem was severe enought. Had lots of reports to run on days activity. Some times I would not leave until 8:pm but i would alway stay till the job was done.
Cons
good health care, good pay.
Productive fun work while being educational
General Labor (Current Employee) –  Binghamton, Johnson City, Endicott, NYSeptember 22, 2012
Very hard work and at times very long days. I learned something new everyday, my co-worker is much more experienced than I, but always found time to teach me how to do some things differently which helped production move forward faster. I loved the work, nothing more rewarding after putting alot of time and hard work into a project than seeing it once the job is completed.
Pros
being able to take pride in knowing i build and did the work myself. very rewarding.
Cons
no health benefits, stressful at times, very demanding.
Fun company to work for
General Laborer (Former Employee) –  Harmon,GuamNovember 8, 2012
We would start of with a to do list daily,everything that needed to get done and by what time, which i found was very useful. The other co -workers were just as hard working as i am,team work did play a big roll and was used every day. The best part for me i would have to say was being given the opportunity to operate bobcats,heavy crane lifts.
Pros
positive environment, management had great communication skills.
Cons
not enough forklifts for everyone.
Lots of Hard work but fulfilling.
Carpenter (Current Employee) –  Lafayette, LAMarch 5, 2013
Typical days are 7:30-4 and consist of many different job responsibilities ranging from concrete finishing to roofing. Many different tasks learned and developed. Management was basic with a single foreman and 3 man crew. Coworkers were upbeat and easy to get along with as well as experienced. The hardest part of the job was not knowing precisely what the customer expected and the most enjoyable part of the job was the co-worker interaction.
Pros
prompt, weekly pay
Cons
short lunch and no healthcare benefits
productive company ,with lots of flexilibity for workers
Owner / manager of company (Former Employee) –  miami floridaJanuary 24, 2012
this company was started by myself ,hiring about 25 workers(hard working) in th post hurricane andrew era helping people recover from disaster, honestly and fairly enjoyed doing my part to recovery along with my employees
Pros
fun to work independently, helping families recover, and creating a sense of safety to them.
Cons
the market did not last long enough, was squeezed out by bigger campanies
Worked for a small residential construciton company
Laborer (Former Employee) –  Duluth, MNNovember 13, 2012
Worked as a laborer for a small construction company that worked on residential housing and construction. Worked on framing, siding, roofing, sheetrocking, etc. It was a one owner/manager company. Co-workers I worked with performed the same type of work and we worked well together. There was really no hard part of the job though you had to work hard. I learned much about construction and I like learing new things.
Pros
i learned much about construction
Cons
there was no healthcare and not much chance for advancement.
I enjoyed working for ups/spite the supervisors
Driver/Labor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 2, 2013
consistant not hard but not easy of a day it varies

driving skills/ communication customer skills

professional

co-workers was like family

sometimes u will get overload of packages that would take u off your schedule

on the roard u are your own boss/ meeting people
Pros
good job to have
Cons
schedule could change at times
Fun Workplace
Cement Worker (Former Employee) –  Beaumont, TXJune 13, 2014
Day starts with a supervisor to employee meeting about objectives and goals of the day. Hardest part of the morning is the unloading of the shipment that arrives mid-morning which is the largest. Most enjoyable would be around the holidays mainly because you can never promptly prepare yourself for what type of work one might encounter
Job became a job were the drive for work was to long.
Labor (Former Employee) –  Springtown, PAJanuary 24, 2013
You could look back a be proud of your work.
All phases of construction.
Small business and there was no management, just owners.
Fun to work with.
Working outside in the winters.
Being able to apply my knowledge to my own home.
Pros
a different atmosphere with every job.
Cons
cold winters and bad weather.
The man i worked for loves the lord as for I, we bonded well..
Helper/worker (Former Employee) –  Reno, NVMarch 11, 2013
Beatuful days of summer, painting and remodeling homes, ive learned how to spray texture, and still have a blast. The Management was excellant and very inspireing. the hardest part of the Job was deciding what to have for Lunch together. The most enjoyable part was getting the Job done.
Pros
listen to music
Good work experiance
Stucco Installation - Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Utica, NYDecember 13, 2014
Contact customers face-to-face, by telephone, or otherwise to go over plans, instructions, or specifications to determine work activities.

Provide information to supervisors, co-workers, and subordinates by telephone, in written form or in person

Convey information effectively to others to identify complex problems and review related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
Pros
n/a
Cons
n/a
Very interesting & challenging
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dillsburg, PASeptember 19, 2014
Everyday was different. I never knew what I'd get into in the course of a day. I have learned a lot about the construction industry. I loved management and the co-workers, we were all a team. I enjoyed the fast past and multitasking everyday.
Pros
team atmosphere
Cons
the morale started to get lower with lay offs
Tough job but great opportunity
Plasterer/Painter (Former Employee) –  Astoria, NYJuly 27, 2015
This was a great company with the some of the crew working for the owner for many years. I had learned a lot about plastering even though I already knew how to do it. The job was hard and really was all about quantity and not quality. What I enjoyed most was the sense of camaraderie
Self-employed while working as a handy man in a variety of locations.
Handyman Services (Current Employee) –  CA, FL, NY, MI, PRApril 30, 2014
Performed a variety of tasks in different environments. Learned about extreme temperatures, both hot and cold. Required to multi-task, with a flexible time frame. Completing tasks and reviewing the work completed at the end of the day was most rewarding as a sense of accomplishment.
Removal of old material, measure, cut, and install new materials.
Assembly Man, Full Time (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYApril 27, 2015
Vinyl Siding, Shudders, Cedar Trim work and finish Woodwork. Cleanup. Creating and building new materials and objects is a passion that I like to follow through until the end. Quality finished products make for a good work day!
fast paced,learning environment.
Private Contractor (Former Employee) –  Orleans, MIJanuary 24, 2013
private contracting is an expirence that helped me grow alot in the carpentry field.i like the constant movement,work,long hours,and overall learning expirence.hardest part of the job i would say would be dealing with the weather.it wont stop me though.
Pros
keeps me in shape
Cons
weather
challenges beyond expectations
General manager/project coordinator (Former Employee) –  New JerseyFebruary 17, 2012
Construction are one of the most interesting jobs I had, on the field you learn something every minute and in the office you create something everyday
Pros
job well done, no complains good reputation for the company
Cons
the opposite of good companys reputation, when the good is a mess