General Dynamics Information Technology

General Dynamics Information Technology Employee Reviews

Workday as a Call Center Supervisor
Call Center Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Chester, VAJune 5, 2014
A typical day at General Dynamics call center is very productive. Walking floor and greating team.
Assisting representatives with complex calls.
Coaching and developing reps for improvement.
Completing daily supervisor tasks and reports that requires a deadline.
Checking Emails and Timecards daily.
Monitoring calls.
Team meetings.
I learned within this company that having a positive attitude will get you far within the company. Change is consistent and patients is a huge requirement. I learned how to handle my interpersonal skills better as an individual.
My Co-Workers are very helpful and work as a team.
The Hardest part of my job is remaining consistent because change is major and constant within this company.
The most enjoyable part of my job is going home knowing that I helped at least one consumers life in some sort of form or fashion.
Management is a area that I believe needs improvement within this company.
Very stressful and unorganized
Medicare Phones Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Lawrence, KSMarch 6, 2014
A typical day at work for me consists of greeting my team upon arrival and then working on sending out daily statistics. Typically, within the first hour that I arrive, supervisors get called to the phones. That means that I have to stop whatever I'm doing and take calls. I do not mind getting on the phone to answer calls from Medicare beneficiaries; however, it becomes stressful when I have so many other expectations to meet. I have learned so much information about Medicare and other health insurance companies. Overall, management is friendly and has an open door policy which allows people to feel comfortable approaching them with concerns. My co-workers are usually what allow me to get through the day. After working with the company for over 5 years, I have met a lot of unique individuals. I will be sad to leave them once I find a new job. I can honestly say that my co-workers are the most enjoyable part of my job.
GDIT is a great place to work!
Call-Center Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Phoenix, AZJune 16, 2015
I have been with GDIT for a little over a year and a half. I have been trained in three lines of business (Federally Facilitated Marketplace, General Medicare, and Medicare Claims). The benefits GDIT provides are excellent as I was able to obtain Health insurance at no cost to me after only 30 days. Dental and Vision benefits are very well affordable. I have learned a lot while working at GDIT and I hope to learn a lot more in the future. Management is always there for you to talk to if you have any issues or need help. A typical day is busy with back to back calls, and for someone like myself, you are logging in and out of different systems to take calls as needed. The hardest part are the angry callers but if you do your job to the best of your ability, they usually thank you and end the call with a smile.
Pros
Benefits after 30 days.
Cons
No time to take a breather between calls or after a very stressful/difficult call.
HCSD Medicare/Marketplace Superviso
Former Supervisor (Current Employee) –  RiverviewAugust 1, 2014
If CMS knew how GDIT managed their call centers they would pull the contract immediately!!! The company needs to clean house on the directors and deputy directors levels as they keep constant chaos and confusion going within the different sites. Managers don't have a clue and they don't follow their own policies and procedures. Supervisor and manager positions are filled based on whether you are liked not whether you perform, are qualified or meet and of the requirements for a position. . HR is a joke and incompetent. The Company's Core Values: trust, integrity and teamwork are not practiced by leadership, and those who do try are ostracized and targeted by their superiors. The bottom line for this company is "headcount" (the numbers). CSR's run the sites. And as long as they keep the seats filled they will continue to take CMS' s money.
Pros
relationships established over the years with company
Cons
everything else
Pot Luck Day
Marketplace Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Riverview, FLJanuary 2, 2014
Every month on my team at work we decided that we will have an potluck, which an potluck when everyone on the team participate and bring in a dish. Two weeks before time we will all decide what kind of potluck we will have either breakfast or lunch, having potlucks with my team each time we have one I am able to interact more with coworkers talking about the different dishes we brought and things. Management always able to stop and just make everyone is doing right by making sure no one takes food on the floor and our conversations work-related and not so loud. The hardest part of the days when we have potlucks are geting full and going back to our calls all stuffed, but those be the times when we get the most precious calls from callers so we are able to assist. Helping out my callers make me happy and help me get through my day very smooth and time goes by fast because before you know it's your time to get off.
Cohesive group environment working together to better service our Veterans
Human Performance Analyst (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLSeptember 15, 2012
Daily work is reflected by our progression with our projects which can vary between job/task analysis, storyboard development, evaluation, etc.
I have learned the importance of group cohesiveness and communication to keep our project and project deadlines running smoothly.
Project and group managers work together to ensure sufficient resources are allocated to our projects
Co-workers include Human Performance Analysts and Industrial Systems Designers working together from analysis of a job to evaluation of the job courseware
Hardest part of the job is coming in on a project that has been in development for a few months, quickly learning the project history, practices, and other related knowledge
Most enjoyable part of the job is looking at a final product after many months and hours dedicated towards development and evaluation
Highly professional but still comfortable
Clerical Assistant/HR Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Fairfax, VASeptember 28, 2014
I worked with a small but friendly team in HR. My main responsibilities were to follow up on making sure all forms for new hires, existing employees of our SBU, and terminated employees were completed and signed by the right folks within relevant periods of time. I learned about formal processes and procedures for proper HR and time keeping systems. I enjoyed working for the boss I had as she provided positive reinforcement and showed appreciation whenever I could make her day a little easier. The hardest part of the position would be tracking down signatures from managers on new hire forms when a new large contract came in. But I enjoyed the consistent nature of most of the day-to-day that still allowed for personal growth and recognition.
Pros
good benefits including an education reimbursement policy
Cons
it could be difficult to reach some managers when a deadline loomed.
HR at any call center
HR (Former Employee) –  Rather not sayApril 11, 2014
No one should be this desparate for a job. HR turnover at their call center sites is unprecedented. You are expected to work 60-70 hours per week with no extra recognition or compensation.

They do not hire full-time recruiters to smartly recruit year round. Instead, temporary recruiters are brought in around April for the surge that starts in May, so you're already behind. Then they do six months of surge hiring and you will be at a job fair almost every weekend. Because they hire so many in such a short time span, the quality of hires is poor. By October most everyone is hired and the recruiters are sent out the door and the generalist is left to handle hundreds of problem employees AND do all the hiring as well.

Then in January, they start "ramping down" (firing) people and in April, they start the cycle all over again. It is the worst system ever implemented.
Pros
there are none
Cons
long hours, lack of appreciation, poor ethics, don't care about employees
Overall a great company to work for
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Riverview, FLJuly 16, 2015
I handle calls assisting consumers with their health insurance marketplace applications. This job has enhanced my customer service and computer skills. Our management team works hard at making sure both consumers and employees and taken care of and that all job requirements within the company are met. At GDIT the management team keeps an open door policy, which allows employees to seek or consult with management freely. This is very helpful for us employees who have any questions or issues. My co-workers are very friendly and professional, and overall a joy to be around. The hardest part of my position would be maintaining an above average scorecard based on company graded calls. the most enjoyable part of my job is reviewing those great scores and actually receiving positive feedback from upper management about it.
Pros
flexible with attendance
Cons
My scheduled shift
Supervisor
Supervisor, Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Chester, VAAugust 27, 2013
Developing/training, coaching, motivating, retaining and evaluating qualified staff.

Set clear, meaningful, challenging, and attainable goals and expectations that are associated with those of the business. Present information clearly, concisely, and logically.

Analyze daily reports to coach and develop trending behaviors that negatively impact the business.

Review, adhere, and implement contractual requirements, policies, and procedures established by Centers for Medicare and Medicaid (CMS).

Monitor and manage employee attendance and adherence to schedule.

Complete and deliver monthly, quarterly, and yearly employee performance evaluations.

Provide coaching and effective feedback to ensure employees meet business expectation.

Ensure employee payroll timesheets are accurate, signed, and approved.
Pros
hours buliding closes at 8 pm, great co-worker
Cons
benefits, pay raises
Growing company
Ombudsman Research Specialist (Former Employee) –  Coralville, IAJanuary 8, 2015
I worked for GDIT for 8 years in a variety of positions. The specific company I worked for started as NCS, then NCS Pearson. I started when it was still part of Pearson. Then it separated from Pearson and became Vangent. GDIT purchased Vangent around 2011. Because of these changes in who owns the company, the work environment changed a lot since I started with the company. The company has gained contracts in the Medicare and Marketplace websites. It has also lost a Dept. of ED contract.
I enjoyed the challenge of the positions I had and had a chance to move on to more challenging roles. I enjoyed working with my co-workers very much. The hardest part of my job was working around technical limitations caused by contract budget constraints.
Pros
close to a highway. department where i last worked was small and friendly
Cons
healtcare benefits becoming increasingly expensive and covering less
Pension Freeze
Administrator (Current Employee) –  various locationsApril 9, 2013
Anyone who was 'lucky' enough to be hired before 2004 actually received a pension. Meaning anyone who was receiving a pension this year, would have already been planning(expecting) on actually receiving it for at least 10 years or more. So, if you accepted the fact that other companies paid much more for the same work, but you decided to stay for the long haul, with a goal of retiring, then you just got some bad news this year. Pension freeze. The new 'benefit'/plan is that you keep what you managed to earn so far (only because it's protected by federal law and I guess they cant take that), and the replacement is that we get a whole $300 a year for every extra year we work. So, for an extra year of your life you get $25 a month.
So, a division takes a 2.1billion loss for one quarter and sticks it to it's employees of 10yrs or more?
Pros
i got a blanket for christmas one year!
Cons
no loyalty to employees making less than seven figures.
csr (Former Employee) –  wacoJanuary 30, 2014
Communication skills, patience and problem-solving abilities are required each day in a store, call center or office environment. Most customer service reps work full time, and because many call centers operate 24 hours a day, you may have to work early-morning or late-night shifts. Depending on your job, you may spend your days on your feet in a store or sitting and typing for long periods while fielding phone calls. These conditions could cause headaches, backaches and fatigue. Yet Kamps says the job can be rewarding when you boost customer satisfaction. "When a person comes in, they are stuck in a problem and want to know what to do," Kamps says. "We're problem solvers and teachers and are trying to help people." Despite the potential odd hours and physical issues, customer service jobs can serve as a stepping stone to higher positions within a company such as supervisory and management roles.
Awsome place to work
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Houston,TexasSeptember 9, 2014
A tpypical day a work would start by reading email updates to see if there were any changes in program, It was very important that I look through them due to claases that we may have to take that day. I then went online and answered incoming call nearly 100 a day. I learned alot about Healthcare plans and how to be a great Customer Care Rep providing peace of mind to thousands. My management team was Great, I was in the top 2% of the whole company of 10000+ employees. Management ask to to go for supervisor many times. Co-workers many times came by to ask for help on my team as well as off in which I enjoyed helping. The hardest part of my job is when the closed the Company down. The most enjoyable part was that I was able to help millions of American get affordable Health Care. As well as my hours.
Pros
learning new things working with varies of people everyday
Cons
very short lunches
No longer a good place to work
Instructional Designer (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLOctober 24, 2013
After seeing a challenging, rewarding project to completion, I spent my last year there being bounced around from one poorly managed, boring project to another.

They have only has two customers and do not bid on any challenging projects or attempt to diversify their customer base.

Hardest part of the day was fighting off the boredom.

Surprised employees with mass layoff after lying to them a few months earlier that there would be no layoffs. In fact, the layoff was strategically planned by corporate a few months prior to the meeting.

This company has now earned the same bad reputation locally as the competitor they prided themselves as being better than.
Pros
coworkers were great
Cons
promotions based on favoritism, not job performance; poor communication from management and when they did communicate, they did not tell the truth; management not trustworthy
Good place to work.
Customer Care Representative (Current Employee) –  Hattiesburg, MSJune 8, 2014
Overall General Dynamics-IT (GDIT) is a good company to work at. They offer 5 paid holidays a year and any other holidays that are not company holidays, you'll receive overtime pay. They also offer great incentives to keep you motivated such as cash giveaways, prizes, and contests and during high volume periods some of the overtime will actually be double pay instead of a time and a half. Now, for the bad. GDIT is not good at keeping their word or communicating through the different levels of the company. There's a lot of misinformation and if you are in the lower levels/entry level position in the company, then alot of times you're just left in the dark as to what is actually going on. It gets extremely frustrating at times. It's a pretty good company though.
Pros
benefits, insurance, paid holidays
Cons
short breaks, layoffs, unexpected overtime, stressful environment
stressful enviroment, nice people
CUSTOMER SALES REPRESENTATIVE (Former Employee) –  Riverview,FLJune 3, 2015
A typical day at work, I would speak to at least twenty five consumers. Approximately half of them would be able to enroll in coverage, and the other half would be calling about complaints or complications that needed to be resolved. I learned that communication is key, and in order to be a good communicator you have to know how to listen well to others in order to address the situation at hand in the correct manner. The hardest part of the job was dealing with angry consumers that were provided with incorrect or misleading information. I felt that the management was highly ineffective in carrying out certain tasks and procedures. I loved being around my co-workers, I was blessed with a great and friendly team. They were ultimately the most enjoyable part of my working experience at GDIT.
Cons
short breaks, inadequate training
Paid To Be A Professional Liar
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Lynn Haven, FLAugust 21, 2014
This review may cause potential employers to not choose me as a candidate for employment, but I have to be truthful about my experience with this company. I take pride in my job, but with General Dynamics I could not enjoy my job. This job makes you lie to consumers and mislead them into obtaining health insurance coverage. I could not sleep at night and stayed sick all of the time. I am not the type of person to quit a job until I have another job, but I decided that I morally could not work with this employer any longer and chose to leave the company. Every six months you have to bid for a shift and it is based on your compliance and quality. You constantly change supervisors and managers, so it is hard to meet compliance and quality due to each supervisor and manager having different requirements.
Pros
paid sick time
Cons
everything else
Feels like you are still in high school
N/A (Current Employee) –  Corbin, KYFebruary 7, 2016
Everything is scored, you are scored on quality, adherence to schedule, like breaks, lunch etc. If you are on a call when it is time for break or lunch it counts against your productivity for the day.
Attendance does not count for much of your scorecard, CSR's who are absent alot can still get a better shift than CSR's who always show up. Quality scores calls incorrectly, you have to appeal for your points and then they may or may not put them back on your scorecard. They hire new people and give them good schedules while they move the regular full time employees to not so good schedules.
They give "acting" promotions to just about anyone willing to take them and then demote them back down after the busy season ends.
The building is always too warm.
Pros
Decent pay and health insurance
Cons
Very little opportunity for advancement and no permanent shifts
Outstanding and very rewarding job
Training & Development Specialist/Instructor (Current Employee) –  Fort Huachuca, AZFebruary 20, 2014
Having the opportunity to instruct Army Intelligence and work with young soldiers was both fun and rewarding. If not for government cutbacks and relatively weak leadership (which I have a hard time faulting them for) I would likely still be working there.

Great job from 7:30am to 5pm with a 45 minute lunch break, and ten minutes/hour smoke break.

The greater majority of my co-workers were not only good people, but also very professional and experts in the field of military intelligence.

The hardest part of the job, was knowing that there was little to no room for promotion or advancement.

The best was instructing the students and working with them to develop the skill set that will take them through the rest of their Army careers and on to their civilian career path as well.