General Dynamics Information Technology

General Dynamics Information Technology Employee Reviews in United States

Found 3,258 reviews matching the search
Call Center for the Federal Marketplace
Call Center Senior Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Sandy, UTFebruary 25, 2016
My typical day at work includes, coaching, monitoring, mentoring other supervisors, assisting my manager, setting up goals with my CSR's, answering questions, fixing issues. The hardest part of the job is sometimes there's just not enough hours in the day, and the most enjoyable part of my current job is the people that I work with.
Pros
The people I work with.
Cons
No real room for advancement.
Good Workplace needs improvement
Supervisor level (Current Employee) –  Bogalusa, LAMay 8, 2016
I have worked under a contract under general dynamics for going on 2yrs. The longer I work there the crazier the job becomes. I started off as a Tier 1 representative and worked my way up to supervisor ISG. Lately I have been given an unreal work load, taking four different types of calls coming in back to back. Its basically a job of all day unhappiness where consumers are crying, screaming, cursing, threatening, and etc. the supervisors are extremely hard to please. With the amount of stress nobody gets along with each other. Our motto was "one team on fight", yet supervisors and management have us competing with the very person that sits next to us like it is some kind of sick game to them. The most enjoyable part of my day is the thought of going home and getting away until the next morning.
Pros
health care and other benefits
Cons
everything else
Poor culture, bad management
Sr. Accounting Assistant (Former Employee) –  Needham, MAJuly 9, 2015
If you want to learn you have to do it yourself here. The training for a new position is poor, and no one want to teach.
Management is not interested how you do your job as soon as you don't complain. They are not interested in any improvement, they don't have time for this.
The managers only hire their friends and if you are an old employee, they will try to fire you. They form a ring that protect and help themselves.

The Accounts Payable department lacks of professional people, and if someone try to be professional, they make you feel that you do not belong to this department.
It is extremely hard to advance in your career.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
The worst management
Excellent company to work for but I am looking for stability
Senior Logistics Analyst (Current Employee) –  Fort Belvoir, VAMay 27, 2016
I loved working for the company, but the position I held does not have room for growth. Coming out of the military there was always room for growth and progression, and that is something I was use to.
A typical day for me would be tracking my inventory list making sure there are no shortages, tracking any equipment that left the day prior after my shift, receive and document newly inbound equipment, and ship out what needs to go out to vendors. There is really nothing hard about my job so I cant answer that. What I love about my supervisor he allows us to work without constant supervision and if there is question I always feel comfortable.
Restrictive call center environment.
Medicare Benefit Specialist (Former Employee) –  Chesterfield, VAFebruary 8, 2016
Environment is very restricted and there is limited growth opportunites. Obtained and extensive amount of knowledge pertaining to Medicare benefits. Training and learning resources was readily available upon hire.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
Restrictive Environment
Great people but a lot of turn-over
Human Subjects Research Protection Scientist (Current Employee) –  Ft. Deterick, MDMay 18, 2016
They have improved the structure by creating teams and doling out the work more effectively. However, being on a DoD contract meant dealing with "that's how it's always been" mentality, which made progress and change difficult.
The people are very nice, but the work load and lack of a system for training, especially with the above mentioned difficulties caused high turn-over of staff, which then caused another issue. One person would be versed on a subject or protocol, and if they left, no one was able to pick up their work, or even know who the contacts were for that project.
Pros
Initiatives for team moral.
Cons
Poor training.
Depends on how you look at it.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Hattiesburg, MSJuly 13, 2016
A typical day at work was not just your average work environment. Majority of the time supervisors were arguing and having verbal altercations with their team. I can only speak from my experiences. As far as how to handle yourself as a professional that is common sense. The knowledge about the job details as for as medicare/medicaid was very helpful.
Pros
I made a lot of great associates, friends, experiences, how to meet quota, and provide knowledgeable information about the products
Cons
Very urban, low wages, not enough communications, clickish, and dangerous.
Large company with stability
SYSTEM ADMINISTRATOR (Former Employee) –  Patuxent River, MDMarch 5, 2016
GDIT provided a stable foundation for me to begin my career in IT. I started as a shift lead and quickly advanced to system administrator. GDIT had the resources and tools to effectively teach me the knowledge I would carry with me into my future jobs and career.
Pros
Stable work environment
Cons
Too large of a company to feel rewarded
LOVE this job
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Phoenix, AZMay 23, 2016
I moved states and the state I moved to did not have a GDIT and that's the only reason I don't still work here. I love this place. Starts you off with a great pay, my manager and training managers were amazing. Benefits were amazing and hours were the best. When it got busy you could work up to or over 70 hours a week and get 30 hours of time and a half. They have so many great benefits here. The only "hard" part of the job was not getting frustrated at frustrating customers. But that's how all customer service jobs are so this one at least pays you well to stay calm.
Pros
Pay, Environment, Management, Coworkers
Cons
Locations only in a few states.
Good Starting Career
Instructor/Trainer (Current Employee) –  Riverview, FLMay 6, 2016
GDIT provides a great environment for people just starting out on their careers. There are plenty of opportunities for advancement within the contract, but at a certain point you do reach a plateau. Overall there is a decent balance of work and home life and the benefits and compensation are not the worst, but also not the best. There are some issues regarding growing within the company after a certain point, but to be honest this company is really more for preparing you for your overall career, if not necessarily with this company.
Pros
Good benefits, decent compensation
Cons
Difficult work/life balance at times, inconsistent/constantly changing procedures
Very Productive
Senior Analyst Functional (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, ALJune 13, 2016
There’s no down time it’s always a busy day so the day will go by very quickly; the work environment is good and the facilities offer cafeteria, star bucks food services and a Gym. The hardest part of the job is its never enough hours in a day to get the job done the good thing about sitting on site, if you have a problem/question about a project assignment the person that can assist may be in the next cubicle or down the hallway preventing a delay in completing your assignment.
Pros
Excellent on site co-workers and flex working hours
Cons
No positive employee recognition only negative
very temp outgoing call Census job
Customer Service Representative I (Former Employee) –  Riverview, FLJune 16, 2015
In A typical day at work, I would take dozens of inbound phone calls from Medicare patients asking questions from general information to why a claim was not paid. The management was not good, they often told employees what we wanted to here in order to placate us, but seldom followed through on any promises. My co-workers at Vangent weren't the best either, the job requirements were pretty much a pulse, read and speak english. The hardest part of the job was trying to help people who just wanted someone to scream at and not hanging up on them. There really wasn't anything enjoyable about that job
Pros
I am able to help my CSRs and beneficiaries/consumers that call in, I have job security.
Cons
The cons I have for my current company would be my schedule changing rapidly, current benefits, low morale, barley space for advancement.
Productive and Fun place to work
Assistant, Office/Program w/Secret Clearance (Current Employee) –  Sterling, VAAugust 2, 2016
Work came in via email from Dept of State at varied times during the day. The workload varied by day from 10-50 orders per day. Supervisor distributed the work. Need to always double-check your work since everything was manually entered. Management is fair. Coworkers are great to work with to get work done as a team. Hardest part of the job is when orders come in a couple of hours before shift ends to process them before the end of the day. Most enjoyable part of the job is working with some amazing people everyday.
Great Company
M1A1ED Tank Mechanic (FST) (Former Employee) –  Custer HillJuly 6, 2016
I really enjoyed working for them, I learned a lot more than what I knew before. a lot more. Management extensively knowledgeable on more than what I could learn in a life time. Great work place, environment, keeping tight deadlines always keeps you going. I like to work under a little pressure, its keeps me focused, but that's just me. Hardest part of the job, well having never worked on the main gun as much when I was in the military then I did when I was working for General Dynamics loved it. I'm always willing to try something new, to learn more than what I do now.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Corbin, KYMay 18, 2016
Received and processed incoming phone calls from customer or client base. Recorded details of customer transactions, interactions, complaints, comments. Effectively identified customer concerns over the phone. Responded to customer inquiries. Assessed validity of customer complaints. Determined possible causes of customer complaints. Communicated with a clear, distinct voice. Maintained effective working relationships with customers. Performed office duties such as data entry, word processing, filing.
Solving all customer issues regarding their health care insurance with medicare
Great Place to work
Painter (Former Employee) –  ConnecticutAugust 26, 2015
Great place to work, This company cares about your life and your family. Benefits are fantastic and pay is fantastic. Management is okay and tries to help you as best as they can. The most enjoyable part of the job was working on a team that can laugh together and work together. Overall I recommend this company to anyone seeking a rewarding career
Pros
Paid lunch, great benefits, and plenty of sick and vacation time
Cons
Frequent lay offs
Convair may have been a large company, but it felt like family.
MASTER TOOL MAKER/JIGS & FIXTURES (LEADMAN) (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAFebruary 9, 2016
I started at Convair as an apprentice. It was an intense 4 year experience that I will never forget. Having been trained in over 20 different jobs all related to tooling, it has helped me in some way or form in every job that I have had since.
Pros
Great place to work, lots of employee benefits even a park.
Cons
They shut down.
This is a great place to work
Administrative Assistant III/Journeyman I (Former Employee) –  Chesapeake, VAFebruary 3, 2016
Keeps you busy. I have learned a lot at this company. Management is easy and fun to work with. My co-workers are fun and easy to get along with. The hardest part of the job was getting laid off after 16 years 4 months. The most enjoyable part of the job is meeting new people.
Pros
We get to pick out a present from the company on our birthday
Cons
Overall, a good place to work
Analyst, Information Security (Current Employee) –  Towson, MDMay 8, 2015
The benefits are not great but at least there are health, eye and dental coverage which is more than a lot of companies provide now days. Compensation isn't particularly competitive but the opportunities to learn and gain knowledge make working for this company worth it. Certain departments and teams have a great reputation and continue to win work. There is a lot of turn over and growth but employees that don't ask for/seek out recognition continuously are often lost in the shuffle.

Raises are supposed to be results driven but everyone receives the same yearly minimum increase regardless of the amount of work put in. Overtime is pretty much expected from every salaried employee.

The people here are the best around and what made the experience worthwhile for me. Employees are hardworking, friendly and bright.
Pros
experienced, win contracts, lots of business won
Cons
lousy healthcare, long hours, salary increases without promotion minimal
viewed as a revenue stream not a person
Manager (Current Employee) –  Fairfax, VAMay 10, 2016
Over the period of LPTA contract award has come into existence, employees have been less and less respected and put into an overworked situation with little acknowledgement of appreciation for accomplishments and efforts. There is little to no effective management training and unprepared managers make for an unproductive environment where micromanagement stifles any individual creativity and desire to strive to be the best.
Pros
Office space
Cons
Ineffective management, poor communications, lack of avenue to bring up issues and have them address and possibly resolved.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at General Dynamics Information Technology. Our community is ready to answer.

General Dynamics Information Technology Reviews by Location