General Dynamics Mission Systems

General Dynamics Mission Systems Employee Reviews

Bad Management
Sr. Technical Writer (Former Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZMay 29, 2016
The company went down hill much in five years. Management likes to pretend that they are still in the military, ignore rules, lie to workers, hire friends, blame others for bad decisions.
Many middle age workers have a GD pension, a military pension, a 401k and soon will draw Social Security, and often like to talk about how much they have saved and the great plans they have.
The younger workers get a 401k and have to listen to how much better the others have it, and have to accept that they will not be able to afford to retire.
Very unstable environment
system support (Former Employee) –  ArizonaJune 13, 2016
General Dynamics is like any other major defense contractor when it comes to employees and cutting the profits. Employees rank last middle management a little higher and Corporate taking the biggest cut of the pie. GD was the first large defense contractor that I worked for and in order to substantiate their bloated corporate profit the employees were offered expensive substandard insurance options. The stress to produce was constantly in motion and the stress level was out of this world. I saw literally a 100 percent turn over in the year that I worked for them. Prior to being laid off the stress got so bad that I came within an inch of walking away and forgetting that I ever worked for them. If the employee didn't kiss butt to the customer they were gone in a heartbeat.
Pros
Free Coffee cup
Cons
Inept management and poor benefits
A good place to learn and grow
Instructor/Trainer (Current Employee) –  Taunton, MAJuly 25, 2016
In the beginning, this was a great place to work. Personal growth and advancement were encouraged. Pay was a little lower than the competition, but security was better than the competition, so it worked out. Today, pay is still a little low, and there have been several cuts in the benefits. Work hours vary greatly from position to position. I honestly enjoy my job, but work hours as a salaried employee can be ridiculous. Middle management seems to normally care about what is happening with the employee and will help you to grow. Senior management within Mission Systems varies, but is usually appears to understand the project and includes several technical people. It will be interesting to see how the upcoming election changes the workplace. Overall, I still recommend this company as a workplace.
Pros
Generally, a good culture, encourages honesty and ethical behavior.
Cons
Long work hours for salaried employees.
A very enjoyable place to work
Logistics Lead (Former Employee) –  Fort Lewis, WAApril 13, 2016
We would arrive and open the site, Do preventative maintenance on the vehicles. Get any failed items repaired or replaced from our parts warehouse. shipped bad parts to vendors received parts from vendors. Inventoried and store all equipment and tracked all repairs. compiled spread sheets of repaired items for upper management. when we are all finished we lay out all of the equipment for the military to inventory and sign for the vehicle. The hardest part of the job is having a inventory in excess of 100 million dollars for a standard time frame of 5 months. The most enjoyable part is finishing with no lose of equipment.
Pros
I enjoyed working with and meeting new people
Cons
Being away from my family for a minimum of 10 months a year
Very passionate about what they do!
Executive Administrative Assistant/Data Manager (Former Employee) –  Needham, MAAugust 30, 2016
Employees are very passionate about their jobs! They develop excellent product for the government systems part of GD. I worked for this company when they were also part of GTE.
Pros
Team
Once a technical powerhouse currently losing it's edge
Engineer (Current Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZFebruary 22, 2016
The engineering staff and the technical know how made General Dynamics (once Motorola) a leader in the communications industry. Due to the current management style annual earnings has become more important than customer satisfaction. On the positive side there is a lot of diversity in individual assignments. Co-workers are friendly and get together outside of work often.
Staff Contract Manager (Former Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZMarch 31, 2016
Typical government contractor environment. Beige walls and linoleum floors. Minimal training budget, essentials only, plenty of politics and constant reorganizations.
Pros
Typical government contractor environment
Cons
Typical government contractor environment
Gained experience working with challenging customers
Contracts Manager (Former Employee) –  Huntsville, ALMarch 30, 2016
I learned a lot about working with challenging customers and co-workers. I had a nice high-walled office with a door. An ergonomic review was needed and the company provided the recommended accommodations.
Pros
Free ice, clean building
Cons
Square peg - round hole
Where your career goes to die
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZFebruary 23, 2016
There is little to no advancement in the organization as a whole. It is a toxic environment filled with cronyism and backstabbing. You will not acquire any skills and there is no training in most areas. The engineers are good people and very talented, but the managers will keep them down because they feel threatened.
Pros
Free Coffee
Cons
Everything else
Great Place to Work
RF Engineering Technician (Former Employee) –  Fairfax, VAJuly 9, 2016
Great management and benefits. Flexible work hours, tough objectives and talented personnel made the job an amazing experience.
Pros
Benefit, flexibility, professional
Cons
N.A
General Dynamics
Senior Staff Engineering Technician (Former Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZMarch 20, 2016
My direct manager was excellent. I was highly complimented for my accomplishments while there and repairing equipment he hadn't been able to find someone to properly repair previously.

The shift was nice, early morning to about 3:30pm, and I had every other Friday off.

My Co-workers were good, but not the best or friendliest I've worked with. But there are some bruised ego's everywhere you go when you have high capabilities.

The hardest part of the job was that I was on my own to study schematics and learn the fix the radio sets I was responsible for on my own. The pay was also sub-par for what they asked of you.

The schedule and being so close to my home was the most enjoyable part, and the fact my boss was actually my neighbor.
It was very hard on him when he couldn't get a job req. opened prior to my contract running out, and I know it cost the department terribly when the bean counters cut the contractors.
n/a
Training Support Supervisor, LandWarNet School (Current Employee) –  Fort Gordon, GAJune 23, 2016
Good work environment at this location, which is one of the smaller GDMS locations. Management is fine. Had a good boss and peers.
Pros
Free coffee/tea
Great Company
Systems Engineer (Current Employee) –  Pittsfield, MASeptember 27, 2016
Flexible work schedule, very supportive of military life, always engaged in some type of project and you are able to chose your career path.
Good work life balance but lacks career growth opportunities
Analyst (Current Employee) –  Santa Clara, CAJanuary 19, 2016
The company is well positioned to continue growing but severely lacks a kind of company culture that makes people excited to work there. It's a comfortable job but promotions come slowly and the work gets boring very quickly.
Pros
Easy, comfortable, good work-life balance
Cons
Boring, little room for growth, not a fun work environment
Great Place to work!
Lead Engineering Technician (Current Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZJune 6, 2016
Great place to work, challenging environment to learn and grow. Flexible work schedule. Good pay and benefits. Great people to work with.
Old Fashioned work environment
Mechanical Design Engineer (Current Employee) –  Greensboro, NCFebruary 20, 2016
Old Fashioned work environment
chaotic mix of management
constantly in flux.
Flexible Hours.
unvoiced expectations.
Poor management to employee communication (they are slowly getting better)
Great Team Environment
Field Support Rep Staff (Current Employee) –  Fort Lewis, WANovember 27, 2015
I have thoroughly enjoyed working for General Dynamics Mission Systems for the 6 plus years that I have been employed at General Dynamics Mission Systems. I have been surrounded by some of the brightest individuals in the industry and have learned so much from these individuals while being employed by General Dynamics Mission Systems.
Pros
Great environment to learn and grow as a proifessional
Cons
You travel more than 50 percent of the year
Lack of direction, but good people
Engineering Lead (Current Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZNovember 2, 2015
The people who work at GD are all very nice, it's a lovely place to work in terms of flexibility and work/life balance. Management does a good job of sticking up for employees.

That being said, there is very little control over the direction your career goes. You will get bounced around from one project to the next with little regard for making the best use of your skills or where you want to go with your career in the future.
Translator and Cultural Advisor (Current Employee) –  indiabaSeptember 22, 2015
Cultural and language advisor for development of military software for Arabic user
Responsibilities included translating conventional and military terms and graphics to Arabic; reviewing existing Arabic translations for accuracy; advising software designers on Middle-Eastern computer usage patterns and military doctrine; and assisting Human Factors usability analysis. Test engineer for international military software product. Review and execution of tests on international command and control systems, including Arabic modes where appropriate
Awesome Company!
Chief, Security Operations (Former Employee) –  Beale AFB, CAJanuary 6, 2016
Awesome Company. Highly recommended. My only reason for moving is a loss of contract and no other GD work in my area. Loved the job, location and co-workers. Great mission, Great Job!

General Dynamics Mission Systems Reviews by Location