General Dynamics Mission Systems Employee Reviews

Mechanical Engineer
Mechanical Engineer (Current Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZAugust 14, 2017
Overall work is fine. Coworkers make this place great to work. Hours/Flexibility depend on manager/department. I am fortunate enough to get 9/80 or Flex Friday. Very old mentality in the mechanical engineering department. Put in more hours, do your time, raises based on experience. Work on interesting products.
Pros
coworkers, 9/80
Cons
lack of large raises, old work mentality
Highly ethical and risk averse company.
Engineer (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 30, 2017
Good company (Large) where you can have opportunities to work state of the art bleeding technology or current technology solution engineering programs
Pros
Excellent compensation! Diverse opportunity if willing to relocate occassionally.
Cons
If you dont proactively make yourself visible through accomplishments or other, you get lost in the large company as just another number in the large org.
It's ok.
PROGRAM LEAD (Current Employee) –  Mobile, ALJuly 22, 2017
The management is not good. Communication is worst. the best part of the job is the time off. I wish they would just tell you the bad news right out of the gate and straight up like an adult. I don't like being led on.
Good pay, poor management
Sr. Advanced Manufacturing Operations Technician (Current Employee) –  Nashua, NHJuly 18, 2017
This is a good company to work for monetarily, however there is never a guarantee that your job is secure. The communication between upper management and the subordinates is very poor at best.
Good place to be invisible
Software Engineer - Senior Staff (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FLJuly 17, 2017
Management is unaware of personnel working offsite. They might as well be invisible. You could work for years in an offsite position just down the road from the main site and as long as you don't do anything to cause problems they won't know you exist.
Challenging problems, some very good people
Engineer (Current Employee) –  TexasJuly 16, 2017
A number of employees have left the company only to return after finding out that they missed the challenging technical assignments. There are a number of good people on staff who are technically sharp and fun to work with.
Poor IT/Security employee support.
INFORMATION SYSTEM SECURITY MANAGER (Current Employee) –  Virginia Beach, VAJuly 7, 2017
Poor management, disconnected support structure for the type of work I do, unrealistic expectations.
Unsure if it is simply this location, or the entire GDMS enterprise, but this is a recipe for burnout.
Pros
Flexible Schedule
Cons
Overworked, underpaid, projects underfunded.
Decent Company
Test Analysist (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NCJune 27, 2017
The work was fine. It was very long hours. I learned an increadible amounot about fiber optics and the instuments used to measure them. I did run into a problem with the union philosphy. I have always supported unions but from what i saw the union was used as a way to get what the workers wanted, no matter how bad it was for the company. The workers placed themselves before anyone else and I saw it cause many problems.
Pros
Lots of overtime.
Cons
Short breaks. I got in trouble for helping others.
Good company, poor communication among managers
ADMINISTRATOR SR (Former Employee) –  Fort Lewis, WAJune 21, 2017
I worked for this company for eight years until they decided to go through a Reduction In Force. I found out later the receptionist was on the list to have her position eliminated and they eliminated my position instead.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Alot of favortism
Helping the men and women in harms way
Sr. Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  Bloomington, MNJune 11, 2017
Huge decentralized company with exciting technical advances in tools for the US Military. My typical day was supporting numerous business units with their expenditures and Direct Labor issues.
Be very careful it could be a great place to work
Administrative Support (Former Employee) –  Richardson, TXJune 7, 2017
A typical day at work is there is no training you are basically placed right in the fire either you know what you are doing in your field or you don't no one will help you.
What I learned at GDMS in Richardson TX is that it's a bad place to work I worked their for 4 years and I had 8 managers
Management is a total joke, workplace culture really bad
The hardest part of the job is just trying to do your job without the directors secretary trying to control you and everything else she is a total control freak.
The most enjoyable part of the job is the staff not your management team just the working staff real cool.
Pros
Could be a great place to work
Cons
No diversity for a large company as GDMS with government contracts
Not a bad place to work
Logistics Specialist (Current Employee) –  MDMay 31, 2017
Management is great. The different job sites makes the job or could break it. The most enjoyable part of the job we get raises every year.
Personal time off is only 2 hrs a pay. All in all good place to work.
Great Company
Training Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Fort Gordon, GAMay 30, 2017
GDMS is a great place to work with excellent benefits. The atmosphere at the Ft Gordon site is very pro-employee and fosters an environment where employees can grow and be innovative and productive.
Senior Advanced Administrative Specialist, I.T (Current Employee) –  Fairfax, VAMay 29, 2017
Very good benefits, free coffee, great place to further a technical career such as software and systems engineering, defense applications, avionics, ship building, warship systems (radar, sonar, ship defense systems). Working outside the box is encouraged, good tools for doing your job, great management.
Pros
free coffee, good benefits, work from home
Cons
training could be better (funding for courses, degree, etc)
Overall good place to work
Lead Technician 2 / Engineering Technician (Former Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZMay 17, 2017
Easygoing environment, helpful team of people. Get to use the latest test equipment. Helpful co-workers that offer there experience so you don't get stuck. Lots of resources that enble the employee to complete tasks.
Pros
Great Benfits
Cons
Poor communication in management
Fanstatic Work Life Balance
Production Lead (Current Employee) –  Pittsfield, MAApril 28, 2017
General Dynamics is a phenomenal place to work. They understand the importance of family and value of being flexible with their employee’s workday schedule.
Pros
Flexibility / Work Atmosphere
Cons
Commute
Challenging
Principal Engineer-Technical Support (Former Employee) –  Chantilly, VAApril 26, 2017
This group of people were great - a close nit group supporting a gov contract. We did a lot to help the customer and each other. Corp was good about helping the employees.
Very Challenging place to work both personally and professionally
Engineering Integrated Logistics Manager (Current Employee) –  Taunton, MAApril 8, 2017
I'm a Logistics Engineer by trade. GD-MS has a Logistics group but no logisticians. It is run by engineers. There are no processes in place. Their reputation precedes them...
Pros
Free Coffee
Cons
Inability to get out of their own way.
Fair pay
Lead Tech (Former Employee) –  Cullman, ALApril 5, 2017
Health hazard with machining Beryllium, great bunch of guys to work with, will learn alot about machining, fair pay and benefits but the big business that GD is, they raised benefit costs a little high.
Pros
Fair pay, good coworkers
Cons
health hazard
Wonderful Field Site
Senior Engineering Technician/ESS Technician (Current Employee) –  Kings Bay, GAApril 3, 2017
A typical day at work was usually fast paced and felt meaningful. We help with the protection of our great nation, so doing something like that helped drive me to work harder. The local management was involved, but could have done more to push for the advancement of lower level workers. Having a flexible work schedule (we use the 9/80) helped with the whole work/life balance. I would have to say that the hardest part of the work is the whole 'hurry-up and wait' mentality that has plagued certain aspects of the contractor business.
Pros
Flexible work schedule
Cons
Lack of advancement

Ask a question about working or interviewing at General Dynamics Mission Systems. Our community is ready to answer.

CEO Approval