General Growth Properties Employee Reviews

Strong culture and great people but opportunities limited
Anonymous (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMarch 7, 2017
A lot has changed at GGP since the bankruptcy - the culture has greatly improved, I work with people I genuinely like and admire and the work life balance is excellent - I'm never there past 5:30. The problems I've encountered are the personnel decisions that are made are baffling - they'll let productive, knowledgeable people walk out the door while they'll promote people who just seem to walk around and chat all day. Also advancement opportunities are hard to come by - its a good place to go for experience but don't plan to move up the ladder quickly there unless you know someone. The compensation is what I call average - not bad but not overly generous either.
Pros
Great culture, cool people, work life balance
Cons
Limited opportunities for advancement, average compensation
Marketing is disposable
Marketing Assistant (Former Employee) –  UTNovember 16, 2016
I worked for one of the mall management teams in the Marketing department. I often had new Marketing bosses because of re-organization. GGP has a love-hate relationship with marketing. I've seen the marketing manager position get removed and then a few years later brought back and then removed again at multiple locations.
Pros
Decent pay with great benefits, local management can be more tolerable than corporate
Cons
Marketing is seen as disposable.
Shopping Centers
EXECUTIVE ASSISTANT TO CEO'S (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 8, 2016
The world of shopping centers is continually evolving. It is a demanding business with challenges that has bricks & mortar yet competes with the online world and still is relevant. The company's mission statement is accurate. Management is demanding yet open to suggestions and not "stuck in the mud mind-set." You are expected to do the best you can, to strive for the highest benchmarks, hit them and keep on going! You may have periods of time that require some killer hours but as part of a team you pull you part until the job is done. The best part of the job...is the people.
Pros
Pay, holidays, benefits
Cons
If in shopping centers you will work traditional holidays.
Great Vision
Group Business Development Representative (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOAugust 23, 2016
Company has great vision and outperforms competition. Has successfully risen from bankruptcy in 2008. Great properties and primary focus has been to be the leader in the market.
Pros
flexible travel schedule, good team building, great benefits
Cons
Advancement when field employee
Good for some not for others
Sr. Director - FP&A (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 6, 2017
Your experience will heavily depend on what department you work in. In general, there isn't a lot of growth. If you're early on in your career, that's ok, it's a great name to have on your resume. If you're mid-career it is hit or miss as to whether you will have any opportunities to grow or advance.
great work life balance
Corporate Accountant (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILFebruary 18, 2017
Nice place to work though advancement and good pay is hard to come by. So great for people who do not mind being in the same spot for a long time or in search of stability...
Good company that cares about its people
Housekeeping (Current Employee) –  Savannah, GAMarch 1, 2017
My team was small and close knit. The upper management respected family life and understood those needs. Building was old so always had alot to do. Enjoyed working here and the experience.
Extremely stressful workplace
Lease Accounting Lease Accountant-Billing (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 25, 2016
1st 7years of service extremely pleasant, stressful, but rewarding. Last 1 1/2 extremely unpleasant environment and under different management.
Pros
Personal Gym
Cons
Unstable & unproductive environment. An extremely stressful environment with no clear direction.
Mission is to operate the "Best In Class Malls"
Group Business Development Representative (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKApril 8, 2015
As a leasing rep for two Regional indoor mall properties, I have the pleasure of working in a multi-cultural environment.

I enjoy meeting people who have not only a desire to work in this industry, but those who have a plan to fulfill their dreams and to succeed in their new mall business adventure.

Traveling throughout the five state region, canvassing and prospecting for new potential tenants at other mall properties is fun and challenging. Every year is a new experience....it's a review process, monitoring how better or worse the retail industry is faring.
Pros
Company Culture, Great Benefits
Work Life balance
Property Accountant (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILMay 31, 2016
Work load is fairly easy and work life balance is great. Preach a lot about culture, but does not seem to be changing much.
It is okay in the sense I am working although the compensation in not quite where I want.
Safety/Receiver (Current Employee) –  Honolulu, HINovember 20, 2012
For the moment I do enjoy working for this company in the sense that it does provide financial assistance for my family until I can find better employment. The environment is okay in that hardly any problems are encountered during my shift. But I do enjoy the amount of time alloted to be with my family.
Pros
work schedule is at night from 2300hrs to 0700hrs in the morning.
Cons
not enough compensation to help my family in a very significant way.
Productive and Independent workplace
Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORFebruary 29, 2016
Great for self-reliant or driven individuals. Never and end to the work but always keeps you on your toes and is great if you can keep up with it. I learned quite a bit about the legal issues of maintaining retail spaces. Management was par for the course and my co-workers a hole in one. Great people working here. Hardest part was where I would be called to fix something I had never touched before but would figure it out like a puzzle. This job requires a lot of imagination and attention to detail. However, if these are things you excel at then it is what makes the job so enjoyable.
Pros
Can take your two 10-min breaks and lunch at your leisure
Cons
Must document all activities during work in a daily report, Consistent communication via radio w/ 10-codes knowledge
Good Company To Work For
Business Development Representative (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 2, 2015
Good company to work for with lots of training and support. Usually work with a very diverse group of people. Good benefits.
I started with The Rouse Co in 1990 and it had about 500 people at that time. It was acquired in 2004 by GGP.
Console Operator-Receptionist-Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  10440 Little Patuxent Parkway- Columbia MD 21044March 19, 2012
GGP is a striving company to work for, with many opportunities for advancement and wonderful supervisors to work for and many co-workers who are always available when assistance is needed.
Pros
hr is always available to help with benefits, listed goals for yr. and acquired a bonus.
Great benefits
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Hoover, ALMarch 11, 2015
GGP is a good company to work for. The benefits are wonderful. I would love the company to invest in me or give me opportunities to advance. I want to know my company wants to invest in my growth as much as I invest my time in doing the best job possible.
Great real estate environment
Senior Director (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILApril 13, 2016
A lively organization which provides growth opportunities for professionals that lean in, work hard supporting the enterprise mission.
Great company with great core values
Senior Marketing Manager (Former Employee) –  Des Moines, IAAugust 22, 2013
Amazing company to work for. Had great resources and support.
Pros
good work/life balance, valued family, strong values, great benefits
Real Estate
Senior Property Accountant (Former Employee) –  Chico & HoustonSeptember 28, 2013
Great company! Possibilities of advancement within the company.
Pros
Great benefits, interesting job.
Cons
Centralized accounting to corporate offices
Was a great place before their BK
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lynnwood, WAOctober 24, 2012
The only reason I left was because I couldn't be promoted because I didn't have a degree. Other than that prior to their BK the benefits and time off were more than fair and the company was a good place to work.
Faneuil Hall Marketplace:Nice to chat with merchants, watch the various shows, sit and enjoy the view.
Administrative Assistant /Receptionist Support (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAMay 29, 2012
*Greet my co-workers, break the ice of being @ work. Juggling work, helping various departments stay ahead.
*I 've learned that my co-workers are apart of my work life and we are like a family and there should be trust and a fun place to work.
*Management can be for or against - depends on the bottom line; money may be tight and the environment can be all work and no play.
*Co-workers: We all have common goals a pay check and get the work done right.We had trust got along and had fun.
*The hardest part of the job is knowing something and knowing that it must be kept confidential.
*Getting up to go to a job and work around people you enjoy; especially when you feel like you could be paid more, but you go because you do what you like and you love what you do.
Pros
i could listen to music, had an hour for lunch, came in early, flexiable hours during the fall season

Ask a question about working or interviewing at General Growth Properties. Our community is ready to answer.