General Mills

General Mills Employee Reviews

fast paced place to work
Select staffing - Coordinator/Supervisor/trainer (Former Employee), chanhassen, MNJuly 31, 2015
Pros: all the hours you want
Cons: overnights and 7 days a week is hard
my typical day consisted of checking in temps and assigning work stations, rotating breaks and managing the production floor and making changes as needed
Good company with a lot of veterans.
Packaging Operator (Current Employee), West Chicago IllinoisJuly 31, 2015
Pros: Good benefits.
Cons: high rate of management turnover
Good company to work for ,with low turnover ,good benefits .
Company focus on production and quality.
Trained to learn many pieces of operating equipment.
Excellent place to work
Machine Operator/Material Handler (Current Employee), West Chicago, ILJuly 27, 2015
Pros: Excellent pay and benefits
Cons: plant is shutting down
I enjoyed working at General Mills the compensation was high and the benefits were amazing. The plant is shutting down soon, it will be hard to find another job that will provide me with the benefits that General Mills did.
general mills
general Labor (Former Employee), Hannibal MoJuly 27, 2015
Pros: Team work
Cons: short breaks and not very good benefits for the workers
Working at general mills the job was great and there was a lot of team work there, but when it came to management it really wasn't y that good they would sit in there office and complain that we weren't going fast enough and we were going as fast as we all could . The hardest part of the job was trying to keep up with the convayor belt because it is like have a bunch of small toy cars coming at you all at once and it was very hard to keep count and check the product to see if it was bad or good. I enjoyed my job the most is when we would all get there we would just chill and talk about how the team was going to do that day or what we all needed to work on to make our jobs easier that night
Job was good
Packing maintenance mechanic (Current Employee), West Chicago, ILJuly 25, 2015
Enjoyed the work and the people. Unfortunately the plant is closing and I have to move on. Work weeks were long with forced over time does not make it easy to have time with my family.
Great Company overall
Logistic tech (Current Employee), West ChicagoJuly 22, 2015
Worked for over 5 years in the DC. Overall great atmosphere. Great pay and benefits. Unfortunately they are closing my plant.
quiet and productive type of place
line worker, packer and machine operator (Former Employee), covington, gaJuly 22, 2015
on a typical day at work I would build boxes for different kinds of cereal. we had three breaks every 3 hours . sometimes the machines would break down and we could have the option to leave work early or stay to clean up spilled cereal in certain areas.
Great people and work/life balane
Brand Planner (Current Employee), Minneapolis, MNJuly 21, 2015
Phenomenal people! Great work/life balance! Lots of restructuring, interesting to see where management will take the company...
Good pay and benefits
Vercon Filler (Former Employee), Carson CAJuly 21, 2015
The job itself wasn't bad, management and most employees made it awful. Also, there were 14 lines running all week when I got hired and only 7 when I decided to leave.
relax and exited for every new day.
Fruit dumper production (Current Employee), carson caJuly 14, 2015
Pros: beautiful environmet to work.
Cons: somehow demanding at times
a typical day at work for me consist of clocking in, greetings my co workers, talk about what is next for us to do to improve todays performance. the hardest part of my is not been able to give more, knowing I am able to do so. i really do love my job, is fun well preserve on values towards us the employees.
decent place to work
Packer (Former Employee), Lookout Valley, TNJuly 14, 2015
Pros: weekends off
Cons: benefits
company treated employees fair,pay was decent, coworkers was awesome,benefits was not very good,overtime was awesome when offered,
Better leadership required
Production Operator (Current Employee), Lodi, CAJuly 11, 2015
Need to focus on task at hand, and not so much on being best friends. better teamwork and communication needed. Mange people calling off better.
Great Benefits and Job Culture.
Cereal Line Operator (Former Employee), Belvidere, ILJuly 10, 2015
Pros: Free Cereal in the lunchroom
Cons: Too many Cheifs' and not enough indians
Fast paced production environment, Great Benefits, Competitive pay, Great Teamwork environment, Two 30 minute breaks for 8 hour shifts and three for 12 hour shifts.
General Mills
Machine Operator (Former Employee), Methuen, MAJuly 9, 2015
Pros: n/a
Cons: n/a
Maintained a safe environment by utilizing E-stop +1 and Lockout Tagout procedures .Execute thorough quality checks on a regular basis with significant accountability. Operated, cleaned, and maintained high-speed Gogurt fillers with a focus on continuous improvement and system performance. Contributed as a member of the carton sealer & former Autonomous Maintenance team driving out defects, setting appropriate centerlines and lubrication. Trained in and actively practiced the 8 technologies (Fasteners, Lubrication, Drive Systems, Transmission Systems, Motion Systems, Hydraulics, Pneumatics, Controls Systems). I felt great going to work and the team I worked with was exceptional. I truly enjoyed my employment at General Mills
Structured
Manufacturing Engineering Associate (Current Employee), Cedar Rapids, IAJuly 8, 2015
I am in a 24 month program, encompassing three different job descriptions. The first year I was a System Engineer for the Fruit Shapes Processing/Packaging system. I was a technical resource for the system proving support with troubleshooting, downtime, and goal setting. I initiated productivity saving projects, and did loss time analysis to justify capital expense. I also worked with the maintenance and operational leaders to guide future improvement plans on the system. I helped lead packaging plant tests and the refresh/ initiation of two production SKU's. Since May 2015, I have been working on third shift as a Operational Team Leader. As a team leader on third shift, I manage the people,the machinery along with packaging commitments. My primary systems are Fruit by the Foot and Fruit Roll ups, additionally I can provide support for our Flex packaging lines, Gushers, and Shapes systems. I support my teams, by being a liaison to first shift resources and as a direct resource for issues that occur on my shift. I am responsible for changeovers that occur on my shift, ensuring we hit our packaging commitments, and I also schedule the operators nightly. Additionally, I motivate my teams to hit high performance and safety goals.
Short Cited
Engineert (Former Employee), Minneapolis, MNJuly 8, 2015
This company is in such a cost-cutting mode that it is no longer going to have long-term technology development activities.
Safety Driven and customer focused.
team member (Current Employee), Joplin, MOJuly 1, 2015
General Mills is completely driven on safety. No work like balance. They constantly are adding duties to the team members and mandatory meetings not during normal working hours. If operators say no, they are looked unfavorable.
Is a very fun place to work, many new people, great money and benefits.
wearhouse worker temp. (Former Employee), Martel, OHJune 28, 2015
Pros: money, benefits, fun work place, new people, and many more.
Cons: long hours, hard to get in.
there are many different areas you could work in general mills. You could learn a lot about food products and other items. you learn to drive and operate heavy machinery. you get to meet many people from all aspects of the world. you do have to be careful of making mistakes and think clearly so meditation and externalize is highly recommended. you don't always get time off but when you do you are well rewarded by enjoying yourself with much of the money you made. all in all it is a very well worth it job that could change you and the lives of your family forever.
Company facing major challenges
Marketing Manager (Current Employee), marketingJune 27, 2015
Pros: Smart people, great campus
Cons: Too much focus on MBA
Recent restructure has left a lot of holes. Major functions feel devalued and it is affecting work. People are really struggling with leadership that has not change at all with restructure. Major need for growth but no plan on how to grow.
Good company filled with good people
Associate Human Resources Manager (Former Employee), MissouriJune 27, 2015
Almost everyone you meet at GMI is a good person who cares a lot about the company's long term success. Like most companies there are a few people who treat it is as a job but most really enjoy the company.
Headquarters