General Motors Employee Reviews

Found 1,674 reviews matching the search
Great Place to Work
OnStar Dealer Advocate (Current Employee) –  Harrisburg, PAMarch 25, 2017
Manage my own territory and create my own schedule. Good pay with opportunity for advancement from within. great industry to work in as well and the company always rewards employees for hard work
Academic workplace
Senior Developer/Analyst (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMarch 25, 2017
Every amenity one could want, showers, tennis courts, gourmet chefs, and much more. Excellent lighting office furniture and top class equipment The IT staff was new to IT but very eager to be the best.
good place to work
Disbursement Analyst (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIMarch 24, 2017
Lots of young people, I met my long term friends there. Almost all were temps. This facility, Cadillac division, has since been torn down so it is no longer in existence. Their A/P department was so big that each person was was responsible for vendors starting with a certain letter. Mine was "M". Hectic but fun
Pros
fun place
Cons
I typed reports, answered phones,did filing and directed client to the proper location on a daily basis.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Warren, MIMarch 23, 2017
As a Administrative Assistant i did such things as typing reports and correspondence, filing, answering phones, taking dictation and directing visitors to the proper location on a daily basis.
Pros
Always something to do and various work description made the work more interesting
Cons
Dealing with rude and ill mannered people.
Assistant
Administrative Assistant I (Former Employee) –  New York, NYMarch 23, 2017
The best Job, the greatest culture enjoyed everything about this job the hours were great. My peers were easy to work with, training was easy loved this assignment.
Highly Energetic Environment
Assembly Line Worker/Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Arlington, TXMarch 23, 2017
A typical day at work would be to get there fifteen minutes before your shift starts to set your station up, and put on your protective gear. Check to see if everything you need is available and working. It was mandatory to do quality control checks, and to relieve your co-worker who worked the previous shift.

There were times where you would get a supervisor who knew nothing about your job. They were just there to make sure the assembly line keeps moving. The atmosphere was one of work, and fun, as you interact with your brother or sister beside you or across from you, and product good quality cars and trucks.
Pros
money, bonuses
Cons
lack of concern for laborers.
love work environment
General Motors housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MIMarch 23, 2017
easy going and love what I did it was easy work environment worked with great people but at times it could be hard especially cleaning the basement it was hard and sweaty at times
Pros
easy work area
Cons
short break
Great work enviornment and benefits
Master Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Flint, MIMarch 21, 2017
Excellent company for cutting edge technology and personal growth. Job opportunities and responsibilities were available as your work experience and knowledge expanded.
long term projects
Manufacturing Engineer (Former Employee) –  Pontiac, MIMarch 21, 2017
during my time at GM, projects typically lasted 2 years. While this job security is nice, it makes moving up in the company take a long time. Overall, this was a good place to work. My position required a lot of travel. The other employees i worked with were great and we enjoyed spending time together outside of work as well.
management
Press Operator (Current Employee) –  Pontiac, MI 48342March 21, 2017
There are advanatges and disadvantages to management at my location. The benefits are excellent but its trade for the workplace culture. There can be room for advancment but itis limited
Great Place To Be An Engineer
Lead Exterior Trim CAE Engineer (Current Employee) –  Warren, MIMarch 20, 2017
General Motors has many employees that believe in a stricter dress code, or that innovation is stifled. Thankfully these people are not in charge. In my experience, whenever I have tried to do something new, I have been supported. When I raise issues, I get the help I need to address them. When I dress up like Bill Nye, well people like it.

I will say this. It is very easy to lose your work life balance. Nobody will tell you you need to work less, and many people feel pressured to work too much. In my experience this pressure to work is imagined. In fact, I once told a Vehicle Chief Engineer that I couldn't solve his problem right now, because I had to run home and take care of my 6 month old dog. After taking care of my pup, I came back in and finished resolving the issue. I large part of why I love working at GM is because of the work life balance offered. It is important that you do your job, but your life matters too, and people at GM understand that.
Pros
Availability of knowledge, resources
Cons
South East Michigan isn't as nice as the Keweenaw, or Leelanau
Proactive and fun workplace
Engineering Manager Future Programs Small Car (Former Employee) –  Technical Center, Warren, MI.March 20, 2017
Great place to work. Work well with employees and very fair in promotions. Compensates employees very well. Extensive travel
is the hardest part of this job.
Pros
Great pay
not so hot
Alternate Dispute Resolution Representative (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXMarch 20, 2017
You don't have sick time and if you call in sick they keep hounding you to make up the time. they dont pay you if your out sick. the holidays either. They promise you a certain amt to pay you but they don't pay that amt.
Cons
Productive and fun work place with rewarding pay and lots of hours
Product Handler (Former Employee) –  Flint, MIMarch 19, 2017
I loved working for General Motors. The pay was great, I was treated well, and got all the hours I asked for , which was 12 hour day 7 days a week .I worked almost every department ,,The machine floor pistons and rods department got most of the hours, and I was lucky because that's where i hired in is pistons and got loaned out in the rod department quite frequent! Thank you GM for employing my father and giving me a chance to have clothes on my back and food in my tummy and then a chance to work my self as an adult.
Pros
Union
Cons
The temporary employees didn't get a union but worked more hours then any one.
Old school and old boys club
Senior Manager (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIMarch 18, 2017
Having worked up through the ranks for more than a decade in the IT unit, I can say with good authority that the company is still very much an old school culture, dominated with management that has been around for 20-30 years. Employees are treated mostly as resources than real people and career advancement/progression/mentoring is not a company priority, although some managers do take responsibility for their individual team members, but given there is limited support from corporate, they are limited to opportunities they can facilitate.

The work/life balance can be decent depending on what unit you work with, but it is fairly common to not push yourself too much and get by without issues. High performers do stand out, but given the bureaucracy, it is a matter of luck how close you are to your management for career progression. Often times folks with flexibility choose to move to another company, while others with restrictions struggle to move upwards.

If you are looking for sense of accomplishment and have a strong drive to deliver, GM should probably not be your first choice but if you are looking for a good/decent work life balance, this would be a nice long term choice.
Pros
Bonuses on good years
Cons
Old school culture pretending to be like Google/Facebook etc. but do not even offer free coffee
Money maker
Customer enrollment & acct maintenance (Former Employee) –  Arlington, TXMarch 17, 2017
Pay is great but you will earn it, benefits are amazing. 6 day work weeks. Internal temp not properly maintained. Some jobs are extremely difficult
Enjoyable place to work and good coworkers
TEAM LEADER/PRODUCTION WORKER (Current Employee) –  Tonawanda, NYMarch 16, 2017
I work 2nd shift as a team leader, for the generation 5 engine. on an average day I start at 230, attend our daily team leader meeting. I goo to the assembly line check the build schedule for the day, check my area for safety hazards, if parts are restocked or have been ordered. Update my teams build, process and development board, write my rotation log and perform the daily process verification audits, weekly safety and layered audits. Overall management on my shift is knowledgeable, supportive and very responsive. GM,is a nice place to work, the people are fun to be round and makes my job as a team leader not so stressful. I've lead 2 teams since being hired fulltime and had the pleasure of learning how to maintain various operations and equipment.
Pros
GREAT PAY AND BENEFITS.
Cons
WORK/LIFE BALANCE. MANDATORY OVERTIME.
Bankruptcy changes everything
Staff Assistant (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIMarch 16, 2017
I was displaced/early retirement as a result of the bankruptcy. I had a wonderful experience with the company prior to that event. I was promoted from a vehicle platform warranty reduction lead to the staff assistant position in the technical assistance call center mainly due to a manager that was sensitive to my desire to minimize my daily commute.
Pros
New experience
Cons
Removed my from manufacturing
Great Company to work for
Telecommunication Mobile Analyst (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIMarch 15, 2017
The best part about this position, was that you can help people and had a great team at the workplace. If you were to ask my previous employers, and associate how they would describe me, I am confident they would reply; “Shryell has a deserved reputation for maintaining composure under stress, managing a multitude of tasks and challenges, all with skilled discretion and concern.”
Success at failure
Operator (Current Employee) –  Bedford, INMarch 14, 2017
The harder you work the worse you're treated. Management is oblivious at best and blatantly asinine at worst. The culture promotes negativity and resentment. Honestly, it was hard for me to see this realization. I took the job to make a difference; yes, the pay and benefits are nice, but at the end of the day I'm miserable there. The hardest part is learning that the only way to make is to look busy and avoid management. I'm ashamed to say American made is no longer the greatest production statement. I'm looking for another job.
Pros
benefits and decent pay
Cons
culture and negativity

Ask a question about working or interviewing at General Motors. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2