General Motors Employee Reviews

Found 2,151 reviews matching the search
One of the top companies to work for.
Project Engineer-Materials Engineering (Former Employee) –  Warren, MISeptember 22, 2017
Team culture, good recognition and rewards for accomplishment, coworkers were friendly, social functions, weekly team meetings to discuss issues and find resolutions, plenty of management support.
Pros
Team effort
Cons
Productive, but not the most fun work place
SENIOR DESIGNER (Former Employee) –  Warren, MISeptember 22, 2017
My overall work experience at GM was good. My Supervisor was too busy to get to know me. He said, he wanted to get to know me, but never did.

The most enjoyable part of the job was that you were always busy.
Pros
No time clock. Hours were based on the honor system.
Cons
My Supervisor being too busy to get to know me.
Pretty good job!
Auto Assembly Worker (Former Employee) –  Lordstown, OHSeptember 21, 2017
I worked in different departments. First on the Light Lines, driving cars on a car treadmill (to keeps the miles on the odometer low) so minor repairs could be made that were missed due to complications on the assembly line. Then I worked using a hydraulic device that tightened all 5 wheel bolts at once on the right side tires. I also worked in the Body Shop putting a bolt and any necessary shims on the bottom of the left front fender as the car was moving on the assembly line.
Pros
Good pay.
Cons
Monotonous
Temps get screwed
Forklift Driver (Former Employee) –  Wentzville, MOSeptember 21, 2017
As a temp you have no real rights, no paid days off, you are required to work friday, saturday and sunday if needed, You do all the work the permanent workers do and get none of the bonuses.
Pros
steady work
Cons
no appreciation
Versatile culture
Senior Adviser (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXSeptember 20, 2017
Healthcare benefits are high.
The number of cases we have right now is very high. And we are expected to work each case every 3 days. It is very difficult with 55 cases and more. Each case takes from 5 to 30 minutes to work. Due to these facts, it is very stressful. These customers are having car problems.
Pros
None I can think of at the moment.
A wonderful Life!
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Alpharetta, GASeptember 20, 2017
I recently retired after 32 years of service. What an awesome Company that I was so glad to be a part of. I was always challenged. GM provided me and my family with a wonderful life. I have enjoyed years of learning, growing and experiencing outside the box thinking. GM was my workplace of choice. The employees and what the do individually as well as collectively for communities goes unknown. My days were always very busy. Each day was a new day. I was able to work independently, my opinion mattered, I was able to give my input and thoughts.
Pros
401K, benefits, retirement, vacation, work areas, employees, salary
Awesome Team Families
Laborer (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MISeptember 20, 2017
It was a wonderful place to work, I enjoyed being a part of a family. The work can be fast paced at times, but it's fun to be challenged. I would definitely recommend this job to others.
productive an fun workplace with a computer room
Assembly Line Worker (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, KSSeptember 19, 2017
Very close to home, a lot of friendly employee's no problems with the union when you need to speak to someone. the job is what you want it to be when your looking for a good work environment.
Pros
free gloves
Cons
short breaks
Extremely Helpful and Team Based Environment
Customer - Supplier Relations Representative (Current Employee) –  Toledo, OHSeptember 19, 2017
While working at GM the co workers and management work in a team environment to achieve a goal. We all work together to accomplish set goal on time and in budget.
Poor management
Assembly Line Worker (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, KSSeptember 19, 2017
Management is terrible and are against you most of the time even if something is their fault and you have the proof. They ignore their own safety precautions in order to have quantity over quality.
Pros
Competetive pay, great benefits, advancement is possible
Cons
Management is cluecless on how to run a proper car plant, low sales = long layoffs and possible loss of employment.
nice work environ
Programmer/Analyst (Former Employee) –  Roswell, GASeptember 19, 2017
stay away from operations!! very long hours. else is very structured and depends on supervisor. choose your path here with vigor or be reassigned to a different group.
productive
Quality Tech (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOSeptember 19, 2017
this was a great place to work we just got slow during some months and I needed a steady job for my family but have nothing bad to say about he company and was treated fairly by my employer.
working for GM
Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Arlington, TXSeptember 18, 2017
a very serious place to work with great benefits and good people to work with. I learned a lot about working on cars and trucks that I believe can benefit me in other working fields outside of the General Motor's industry.
Pros
clothing alotments
Cons
short breaks and great benifits
Location very handy- close to home
control technician (Current Employee) –  Spring Hill, TNSeptember 18, 2017
No paid time-off, hours awfully early (6 a.m. start time) although I AM working for sub-contracting company M.S. as my employer. The location is unbeatable; 15 minutes from home!
Pros
Occasional free lunches
Cons
NEVER allowed to sit down whilel working
Fast paced and challenging =)
MRP CONTROLLER II (Current Employee) –  Arlington TxSeptember 18, 2017
GM is a fact paced and challenging place to work. Challenging yet very rewarding. Every day is a different challenge and the most rewarding part is coming together as a TEAM and finding resolution to issues.
Pros
Diversity
Cons
no advancement in Indirect Material department
Good pay, lots of politics
Finance Director (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MISeptember 18, 2017
Finding good bosses can be very hit or miss. Pay is good, but politics is very, very thick. The company gets too sidetracked on the latest 'projects du jour' that create a lot of busy work and distract people from adding value.
great coworkers throughout the whole plant.
Automotive Assembly Worker (Current Employee) –  Fairfax, KSSeptember 18, 2017
Fast pace automotive assembly with little to no warning of low sales and chance of layoff. A typical work day includes the production of 400 cars or more.
Pros
great benifits
Cons
it took three and a half years to get hired.
Dayton Operations all closed
Business Analyst/Market Manager (Former Employee) –  Dayton, OHSeptember 18, 2017
At one time, Dayton was home to 6 General Motors divisions including one assembly plant. At this point in time, all divisions have been either closed or sold
Very slow advancement if any.
Assembly (Former Employee) –  Lake Orion, MISeptember 17, 2017
Nearly no chance for advancement, not even to full time status; however they treat you like full time by working you indefinitely and as many hours as they please. They just don't give benefits, vacation days, seniority, good pay or timely raises.
Pros
It's a paycheck, sort of.
Cons
No future dead end job.
Enjoyed most of the people I worked with.
Asslember (Former Employee) –  Kansas city, KansasSeptember 17, 2017
It was great to only work Monday through Friday and had all paid Holidays off. It was a fast paced job, and if you put your effort into learing all the jobs, the other employees would jump in and help you if needed. I really enjoyed working there.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at General Motors. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2