General Motors Employee Reviews

Found 1,935 reviews matching the search
Productive and fun
Human Resources (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIJuly 23, 2017
Great culture and environment to be part of as a leader in the industry around the globe. Believe in the organizations goals and commitments. Career oriented and driven company.
Love cars
Paint Department (Former Employee) –  TennesseeJuly 22, 2017
General motors is a great place to work. Decent management but overall it's a great place to work all except that u have to be a temporary employee forever.
Working for GM
Team leader (Current Employee) –  Spring Hill, TNJuly 22, 2017
I have worked at GM for 32 yrs. I learned a lot there and was challenged to move forward in several areas of the company. good for young professionals.
Pros
Good to develop your skills
Cons
Fast paced can wear you out.
decent
PRODUCTION SUPERVISOR - GA (Current Employee) –  Arlington, TXJuly 22, 2017
decent benefits, work too much, environment is challenging and stressful. decent work, too much benefits, environment is stressful and challenging. too much work.
Promote Growth
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIJuly 21, 2017
I have had an overall positive experience at GM. I find that there is a lot of room for growth within the company. Making good relationships is an important factor.
Pros
Growth
Cons
Stressful
Great place, If you're full-time
SSO (Current Employee) –  Warren, MIJuly 20, 2017
If you're a temp for this company, you pretty much stay a temp. You work besides a full time employee to receive non of the benefits that he or she would get and you're more than likely doing more work then they are. It's going on 5 years and yes it's a group of us that are still temporary.
Typical Warehouse Position
Assembly (Former Employee) –  Wentzville, MOJuly 20, 2017
I worked for GM for over 30 years and then retired. It was your typical warehouse position on the assembly line. Hard work with descent compensation and union support.
production worker
Production Line Worker (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MIJuly 19, 2017
Worked here for a year and it is a great company but was laid off and hope to get recalled and be put full time employment with full time benefits. Thank you
Good Place to begin a Career
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIJuly 19, 2017
Good place to begin your career. Helps build your career as well as may open some doors for opportunity in the future, The workplace culture is very good and open as possible.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Pay, Growth
Fast Paced JJob
Production Worker/Trainer (Former Employee) –  Lordstown, OHJuly 19, 2017
I would work for 8-12 hours a day. The management varies. You never have a manager in your area for more than 4 months and than they switch to a different manager. There is a union and they help you out a lot. I enjoyed having the benefits at work and the pay was great. I didn't like how there was no job security and they treated the temporarily workers horrible. The higher seniority people would do that a lot with the temp workers. I have learned how to build a car . I learned numerous of jobs and how to work in a fast paced area and on a time limit. I also learned how to work on midnight shifts as well.
Pros
Great Pay/Benefits
Cons
No job security and too much emphasis on senority
Busy, hardwork
Assembly Line Worker (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, KSJuly 17, 2017
You go to your work station and relieve the worker from the previous shift. Make sure you have all your supplies to continue to keep the line moving. Work hard, but efficient make sure that you follow your steps to ensure that your job is done correctly. Hardest part is making sure the job is done correctly every time you touch a vehicle with no mistakes. The most enjoyable part of this job is finishing a day knowing that your hard work will ensure that the customers have a safe reliable vehicle to transport their families.
Pros
Good pay, great benefits
Cons
Layoffs, no flexibility
Not good career move.
Big Data Engineer (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 17, 2017
The role I was hired for turned out to be different from what I wanted. I saw no opportunity for advancement. I was essentially put into an entry level position.
nice place to work
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Lordstown, OHJuly 17, 2017
I enjoyed my time at General Motors,no job is to hard you just have to be willing to learn the jobs,i learned to work with alot of different people alot of different attitudes you just mind your business and do your job,if you have a problem go to your supervisor and let them handle any problem with another worker they are good about that,the hardest part of the job is not knowing if you are going home at 10;30pm on Friday,the most enjoyable part of the job is just doing your job to hit the numbers for cars
Pros
do your job you have know problems
Cons
get your work done your good to go
It was a fun work place.everybody work together as a team
Warehouse supervisor (Former Employee) –  Yuma ArizonaJuly 17, 2017
Was a good company to work for.The company always took care of their employees.thing I liked about them is that they cared about safety safety came first
I really liked working there, was laid off due to seniority
Assembly Line Worker (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MIJuly 17, 2017
great job, was laid off due to seniority good place to work . I drove 2hours and 15min one way to work everyday as I really wanted to utilize my experience in the business. Downfall is many people have been laid off due to shift cuts and seniority
Great job, but I want a career
Sr. CAD Designer (Current Employee) –  Warren, MIJuly 17, 2017
Seems to be hard for me personally to get internal jobs outside of my department. I have recently completed my masters degree thinking this would help. I see people that switch jobs but I have not had any luck. I have applied for over 400 positions in 5 years with no luck. Guess I should just sit in the same spot and be happy.

GM is a great company but there is plenty nepotism. I have seen people move straight to the top on a fast track then you have people that remain in the same spot forever. It really depends on who you know and probably the school you attended.
Pros
Good Pay, Great work schedule for some, Fair benefits
Cons
Nepotism, job opportunites are poor for some, HR plays games with people
well paying job
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Moraine, OHJuly 16, 2017
you earned your pay but you were compensated. Yearly pay increases and great benefits. Diverse work force 10 hour shifts but you worked 4 days and got 5 off before they went to a 8 hour 5 day work week.
Pros
pay and benefits
Loved working for GM
Manager (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAJuly 16, 2017
I loved working for Gm. I worked with great people and a great manager. I would love to go back to work for them. My department got moved out of state otherwise i would.
Pros
Great team
Cons
Great benefits, horrible management.
GM (Former Employee) –  Lordstown, OHJuly 15, 2017
GM has always felt like a second family over the years. I've thoroughly enjoyed the atmosphere and being a huge part of the automotive industry. The hours itself can be rather strenuous, but the pay makes up for it.
Pros
Seeing the car building process, pay is amazing, great people
Cons
incompetent management team, short breaks, long hours
IT PMO structured environment, Awesome employees to work for and with
IT Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 15, 2017
The Austin Innovation Center is a great place if you like structured Project Management in an IT environment. PMs manage 2 - 4 projects with varying IT scope such as software development, COTS Apps, Infrastructure and EDW. Formal PMO that provides governance, process and procedures.
Pros
People, Product, Structured PMO
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at General Motors. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2