General Motors Employee Reviews

Found 1,547 reviews matching the search
Brought jobs back to the U.S.
Sr. Systems Engineer (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXFebruary 16, 2017
Kudos to our CIO for bringing all the overseas contract support jobs back to the United States.

No more frustrations dealing with off shore support.
Pros
car discounts
Cons
no remote site work (WFH) allowed
Limited Growth Opportunity
Group Leader (Former Employee) –  Lordstown, OHFebruary 15, 2017
From 2002-2010, GM Lordstown was just not a good place to be. Favortism designated who would progress and who would not. Leadership team lacked vision and could not see potential. As a result, many good people left and went on to better places with more opportunity.
Very good company to work for !!
Op-Tech- Module Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati OH- Springhill TNFebruary 15, 2017
Worked there 25yrs all good wished I stayed for my 30yrs for full retirement. Retired in 2009 after the 2007-2008 during gm bankruptcy. Company offering buyouts then so I
Took it ! My wife died in 2007.
Pros
Excellent Benefits
Cons
Long LONG HRS MANDATORY OT!!
productive and fun
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXFebruary 14, 2017
very fun place to work and satisfaction to keep customers happy at all times and make sure they are satisfied with vehicle and GM family
Mostly a good place to work
Dimensional Engineer (Former Employee) –  Lake Orion, MIFebruary 13, 2017
The work culture can be good or it can be bad. I worked in two GM plants and had several different job assignments from Toolmaker to Dimensional Manager
Good Place to work
Document Control Coordinator (Contract) (Former Employee) –  Tonawanda, NYFebruary 13, 2017
I loved working for GM, they trained us with everything we needed. The people and atmosphere was a great place to work. The future advancements just was not there. I loved working with the QS9000 team and the management.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Not long term
Team member who gets along well with members and management
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Lordstown, OHFebruary 13, 2017
Enjoyed working at every job I've been employed with. I am a hard working team member and get along well with others. I do not miss work and can easily learn new skills.
Pros
Good location and worked well with team members and management
Cons
Layoffs and uncertanity of employment due to gas cost, automation and down sizing employees
Material Handler (Current Employee) –  Lansing, MIFebruary 12, 2017
My time working with General Motors have been pretty well. The general management was great, overall the company did not seem to get certain issues resolved quickly or efficiently. I worked in the parts area, prepping and sorting parts. The enjoyed the atmosphere of the shop, it wasn't too loud like others I have been in.
Pros
Union, good breaks, holidays off
Cons
Poor benefits, hours
Fun place
Sequencer/striper (Current Employee) –  Lansing, MIFebruary 11, 2017
Good place to work if you don't have kids.
Needs better pay, I work in the subsystem.
Needs better job security and balance.
Needs more organization.
Quality Cooridinator
Quality coordinator- Led (Former Employee) –  Moraine, OHFebruary 11, 2017
General Motors was the best employer that I have worked for. I led a team of 58 quality inspectors for the Moraine Assembly Plant. We built sport utility vehicles. The job was to identify, find a fix, and preventive measures to prevent it from happening again. I enjoyed the challenge, it was my favorite part of the job.
Learned a great amount of jobs and the great people to work with
Assembly Line Worker (Former Employee) –  Lordstown, OHFebruary 11, 2017
everyday was never the same. going into work you never knew what job you would be doing until you checked in with the foreman at the beginning of your shift. i learned a variety of different jobs. some of which included- how to build door latches, install front door and back door check links, back door regulators, front door wire harnesses, front door mirrors, etc. management was never really the same. i was very fortunate to work with very reasonable and great guys. there was never really any culture that i saw.
Pros
the money was great
Cons
short breaks
Very wonderful company.
Inspector/Packer (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MIFebruary 11, 2017
The comapny gave out good benefits. Nice hours. Wonderful training programs as well. Managers were very respectful. Coworkers were very nice and helpful
Very tedious work enviroment
Assembly Worker (Former Employee) –  Wentzville, MOFebruary 10, 2017
This is a factory position so be prepared to work hard and stand on your feet for long periods of time. The pay was good and had a set schedule but the job was tedious.
Pros
Full service cafeteria, casual dress code, great pay, job stabilty
Cons
long hours, tedious work
Shipping and Receiving (Current Employee) –  Warren, MIFebruary 10, 2017
Safe place to work. Good for someone in skilled trades. Temp positions have no security. The union is fantastic for employees that are hired into the company.
Pros
Clean
Cons
Unconsistant
Great Job
Machine Operator/Assembler (Former Employee) –  Lordstown, OHFebruary 8, 2017
General Motors was a wonderful job. I loved the fast pace atmosphere. I learned how important the quality of your work can effect the overall product as a whole. I felt as though management could have done better with communication. The hardest part of the job for me was getting in the rhythm of the jobs and switching jobs so frequently. I absolutely loved staying active and being hands on and having the opportunity to drive forklifts and tuggers,
Great opportunities
Network Administrator (Former Employee) –  Monroe, LAFebruary 8, 2017
I loved working at my favorite company . I gained valuable experience by working in the department and even though I was not an engineer , I was prepared to become a leader even before I was aware of my own potential. I would definitely recommend students, employers, potential employees to check this company out and give them a chance, it will change your life for the better.
Competitive work environment
Machine Repairman (Current Employee) –  Spring Hill, TNFebruary 8, 2017
Every day is a learning experience dealing with people and equipment issues to maintain production requirement. Having supportive leadership is a plus in maintaining a favorable workplace.
Pros
Leaders appreceiate resourceful employees.
Cons
Mandatory overtime occasionally
great learning expierence
Forklift Operator/Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Flint, MIFebruary 7, 2017
Cool place to work. I was able to learn a great deal. Getting paid every week was a bonus. The work enviroment wasnt bad ive dealt with worse. I would work there again if chosen.
Pros
pay and benefits
Cons
poor supervisors
Management needs to spend some time at the plants.
GM GPO Chief of Staff - Staffing Analyst (Former Employee) –  Parma, OHFebruary 7, 2017
Management needs to spend some time at the plants, on the plant

floor. They are not really in tune with what goes on at the sites.

There would be a great benefit for them to know what projects entail.
Pros
benefits and people
Cons
The downsizing - not knowig what is coming next
Assembly line worker and security guard
Assembly Line Worker and security guard (Former Employee) –  Kokomo, INFebruary 6, 2017
Like d working at General Motors. Great benefits and retirement. Learned many components of factory work. Friendly people and got along with all who I worked with. Met and made many lasting friendships while there.
Benefits
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at General Motors. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2