General Motors Employee Reviews

Found 1,868 reviews matching the search
great union
Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, KSJune 25, 2017
good union job. great union people you make great money with the best benefits and yearly bonuses .great family activities at the union hall and lots of beer
Pros
safe work environment
Cons
management
Very productive in every manufacturing aspect.
Manager (Former Employee) –  Ypsilanti, MIJune 24, 2017
Excellent place to work. Many opportunities for advancement. Treated everyone with dignity and respect. Excellent place to work. Opportunity to meet and work with people from all around the world.
Pros
Excellent work environment.
very good place to work
Sales Purchase Branch Manager (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, Dallas, Austin, Bryan and Houston TXJune 24, 2017
27 years employed prior to retiring. Excellent place to work and for the most part I enjoyed my time with GMAC. Affords advancement opportunities for those with initiative and achieving operational ojbectives
Pros
Good salary and excellent benefits
Cons
Generally requires relocation for advancement opportunities
Fun Work Place, Plenty of Learning Opportunities
Assembly Line Worker (Former Employee) –  Warren, OHJune 23, 2017
Learned plenty of jobs, got to play a part in a group setting. Had fun meeting new people, working with different people, and getting to know them. Getting more work experience, and getting to work on something much bigger then myself.
Pros
Getting to work with amazing people.
Cons
Rough on the body
Home town work area
Safety Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Arlington, TXJune 23, 2017
All around good working environment. Safety top priority with Gm.
Working with top notch employees.
Culture is outstanding.
Quality products produced.
Learned a lot while working at General Motors and the fellow employees were great
Line operator (Former Employee) –  Detroit hamtramckJune 22, 2017
Overall great place to work and the benefits are great. Great place to grow and expand if cats are selling. The fellow employees are very welcoming and eager to teach new employees.
Pros
Benefits pay union
Cons
Layoffs
the team that i worked with everyday made work worth it
Production worker (Current Employee) –  Brownstown, MIJune 22, 2017
If it wasn't for the team I worked with at General Motors I don't know if I would be able to continue to work at that good. The pay was really good but the way they treat their workers are horrible and know one should have to work like that.
GM Life
Software Developer (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 22, 2017
Not a bad company at all, Just a lot of office politics and red tape that make getting through a project tough. Management is all about getting the business whatever they want when it comes to requirements and that usually hinders the deadline of the project everytime.
Good company to work for
Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Lordstown, OHJune 22, 2017
Salary and bonus makes the rough days better. The union has a way of making things a little harder to accomplish. Learned a lot about how to become a better overall leader.
A Place With Talent
Senior Technical Writer/ Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIJune 22, 2017
I work with a very talented team. Everybody is good at their job. Great life/work balance. My job has a very flexible schedule so that is a big plus ..
Management and the union worked as one, was not in employees best interests.
Parts inspector (Former Employee) –  Rochester, NYJune 21, 2017
This was a nice company to work for. Advancement was not always available to the hourly worker, management usually moved management.

The company went to a point system, for any reason you had to miss work, or if you were going to be late, you would be written up. It did not matter the reason, it was called Doc 8.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Required to work 3 Saturdays of each month.
Very Pleasant Overall Experience
Performance Analyst (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 21, 2017
The hours are very reasonable and are usually quite flexible. I was able to touch a little bit of everything and allowed my skills to improve. However, because it is such a large corporation, the bureaucracy can really impede work effort.
Pros
Very Good time flexibility
Cons
Size of company
Very good work place
Woodbridge Sequencing Center (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJune 21, 2017
I Love My Work Environment, I Just Wish They Never Would Have Closed Down.I like my coworkers,also my boss.I also loved coming to work an everybody had a positive attitude even when things were going bad it was a very comfortable place to work.
Benefits
Cons
The Union
security
Leader (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJune 20, 2017
good salary and bonus program
Plenty of work, but little to no advancements.
Health insurance is not upto par with same size companies.
Hardest part of the job is that most of decision are made in Detroit
The mot enjoyable part is that there is much opportunity to grow the program.
Pros
good salary and bonus
Cons
very little to no advancements and health insurance is not upto par with large companies
productive fast pace environment
Assistant Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Flint, MIJune 20, 2017
Other than job security, working for General motors has been a great experience. I have experienced little to no drama, and everyone was focused on the job. Supervisors and upper management often praised and made sure good work was recognized and appreciated.
Pros
fixed schedule with rotations for over time.
Cons
no job security. I have worked for GM twice now with false promises.
GM is a great company to be a part of the team.
Die Integration Engineer Closures (Former Employee) –  Warren, MIJune 20, 2017
My experience with General Motors was excellent. A great team to be a part of, while being very supportive. The work itself was very rewarding. Enjoyed every minute.
Pros
Very smart Management staff
Good place to work.
Assembly Line Worker (Current Employee) –  Fairway, KSJune 19, 2017
You can learn a lot of different jobs while employed at GM. The management teams are helpful, the team leaders are helpful also.
The only thing I don't like about working at GM are the constant layoffs.
Pros
Free Healthcare
Cons
Too many layoffs
Great facility to expand your knowledge within engineering
Maintenance Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Bedford, INJune 19, 2017
GMPT is a great facility to learn all the processes involved within Die Casting. Each day is always different from the next. My time spent within the facility has taught me a lot in regards to both mechanical and process engineering. I have worked alongside the launch team to provide assistance for our new development. I have learned how to use various types of equipment and how to accurately read a shot curve. In regards to the shot curve, I can diagnose potential issues within the machine, which could cause poor quality in our castings. I have learned a lot about the properties of aluminum and what could cause common defects and how to correct it. My current department has me primarily involved with CNC machines. The facility as a whole as a lot to offer and the management will go out of their way to ensure you have a good understanding of any issue you may face. The most enjoyable part of my job is working alongside the various skilled tradesman to diagnose and resolve an issue we may encounter. Granted, my position is a hands off position, but most workers will allow the extra help, which in turn helps me understand a majority of the repairs. The most difficult part of my job is the heat within the facility. It is a foundry environment, which is not climate controlled, so the summer time is a bit of a bear. However, I have found it will keep you involved enough to where the heat will not be a factor.
Pros
Great Staff, Good work personnel, great pay, great benefits
Cons
Extremely hot in the summer, A lot of overtime
Just awesomeness
Loss Recovery Clerk (Former Employee) –  Arlington, TXJune 19, 2017
My time with GM was a great opportunity ,I had to close my chapter with GM due to family members that were ill.
I am now looking to continue my life with a great co to where I can exceed my expectations to the fullest!
Pros
N/a
Cons
N/a
Good Company
Senior Data Engineer/Architect (Current Employee) –  Chandler, AZJune 18, 2017
Good Company benefit. So far I am enjoying working in GM. As I am finishing my MBA degree, Now I will be looking for Management for in IT department.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at General Motors. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2