General Motors Employee Reviews

Found 1,943 reviews matching the search
nice place to work
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Lordstown, OHJuly 17, 2017
I enjoyed my time at General Motors,no job is to hard you just have to be willing to learn the jobs,i learned to work with alot of different people alot of different attitudes you just mind your business and do your job,if you have a problem go to your supervisor and let them handle any problem with another worker they are good about that,the hardest part of the job is not knowing if you are going home at 10;30pm on Friday,the most enjoyable part of the job is just doing your job to hit the numbers for cars
Pros
do your job you have know problems
Cons
get your work done your good to go
It was a fun work place.everybody work together as a team
Warehouse supervisor (Former Employee) –  Yuma ArizonaJuly 17, 2017
Was a good company to work for.The company always took care of their employees.thing I liked about them is that they cared about safety safety came first
I really liked working there, was laid off due to seniority
Assembly Line Worker (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MIJuly 17, 2017
great job, was laid off due to seniority good place to work . I drove 2hours and 15min one way to work everyday as I really wanted to utilize my experience in the business. Downfall is many people have been laid off due to shift cuts and seniority
Great job, but I want a career
Sr. CAD Designer (Current Employee) –  Warren, MIJuly 17, 2017
Seems to be hard for me personally to get internal jobs outside of my department. I have recently completed my masters degree thinking this would help. I see people that switch jobs but I have not had any luck. I have applied for over 400 positions in 5 years with no luck. Guess I should just sit in the same spot and be happy.

GM is a great company but there is plenty nepotism. I have seen people move straight to the top on a fast track then you have people that remain in the same spot forever. It really depends on who you know and probably the school you attended.
Pros
Good Pay, Great work schedule for some, Fair benefits
Cons
Nepotism, job opportunites are poor for some, HR plays games with people
well paying job
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Moraine, OHJuly 16, 2017
you earned your pay but you were compensated. Yearly pay increases and great benefits. Diverse work force 10 hour shifts but you worked 4 days and got 5 off before they went to a 8 hour 5 day work week.
Pros
pay and benefits
Loved working for GM
Manager (Former Employee) –  Sacramento, CAJuly 16, 2017
I loved working for Gm. I worked with great people and a great manager. I would love to go back to work for them. My department got moved out of state otherwise i would.
Pros
Great team
Cons
Great benefits, horrible management.
GM (Former Employee) –  Lordstown, OHJuly 15, 2017
GM has always felt like a second family over the years. I've thoroughly enjoyed the atmosphere and being a huge part of the automotive industry. The hours itself can be rather strenuous, but the pay makes up for it.
Pros
Seeing the car building process, pay is amazing, great people
Cons
incompetent management team, short breaks, long hours
IT PMO structured environment, Awesome employees to work for and with
IT Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 15, 2017
The Austin Innovation Center is a great place if you like structured Project Management in an IT environment. PMs manage 2 - 4 projects with varying IT scope such as software development, COTS Apps, Infrastructure and EDW. Formal PMO that provides governance, process and procedures.
Pros
People, Product, Structured PMO
Great Place to Work
HR Onboarding Coordinator (Temporary Contractor) (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MIJuly 14, 2017
Great place to work. I enjoyed working there and would go back for permanent employment. Only left because of temporary contract. Best part of position was work from home days.
Should have never left
Class A Automotive Tech (Former Employee) –  VariousJuly 13, 2017
The politics in the shop are hard to deal with, the service managers are always scratching off time from your flags but the money is good and the cars are easy to work on I think compared to other brands.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Service managers who want to save GM money at your expense
Gm
District Sales Manager Direct Contact (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNJuly 12, 2017
Good company to work for if you like to move around the country and relocate your family every 3 years. Very hard on a family and very costly to the employee
Pros
you may get a co car
Cons
you will earn it
Very productive fun place to work
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Hamtramck, MIJuly 12, 2017
I love working for General Motors. Great pay and benefits. I wish I didn't get pay off of work. I can't wait for the day that I may return back to General Motors
Pros
Great Benefits and pay
Good pay and benefits
Auto Worker (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJuly 11, 2017
A big three automotive manufacturer that allowed one to live a decent life and provide for a person's family. Good benefit coverage for employees and their families.
Management backing
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MIJuly 11, 2017
I always felt like my supervisors had my back. They trusted me to do and make any and all decisions regarding my areas of control.

After the bankruptcy, many of the benefits were reduced but they are still good in comparison to other companies.
Productive and fun workplace
Strategic Senior Buyer (Current Employee) –  Warren, MIJuly 11, 2017
The workplace culture is based on respect. I have learned how to manage different personalities in different areas as per some cross functional activities. The most enjoyable part of the job is the teamwork that characterizes the company.
loved it
Designer (Former Employee) –  Warren, MIJuly 11, 2017
worked independently designing subcomponents of the main body wiring harness.

participated in weekly design reviews.

learned team center and assembly structure

mostly enjoyed the team atmosphere.
Pros
flex time
Cons
lack of confidence in my design skills
Great pay and benefits
Picker (Former Employee) –  Hudson, WIJuly 10, 2017
Typical day at work was walk 15-20 miles and pick around 1,300 parts per 8hrs, fast paced work environment. Usually have overtime every night. Union shop UAW local 722
Pros
Pay and benefits
Cons
No social life
Assembly Line Worker (Former Employee) –  TennesseeJuly 10, 2017
I learned to use multiple tools at once on an ongoing line rotating to 6 different jobs in two different areas. The managers were cool easy to get along with the hardest part lasted briefly when I was done with my hands on training. Most enjoyable part was the different people u meet and become friends With.
nice work environment
Line Worker (Former Employee) –  warren michiganJuly 10, 2017
They have a clean work environment, great team leaders, great break and lunch schedules, nice people to train you, hardest part of the job is pushing large carts loaded with parts . learning new jobs is the best part, knowledge is power.
Pros
good pay raises
Cons
getting laid off
Many IT Opportunities
GM (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXJuly 10, 2017
Growth at the Austin site has been tremendous over the past 5 years. With such growth came a wide variety of roles and opportunities for laying a foundation and making a mark on IT as General Motors.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at General Motors. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2