General Motors Employee Reviews

Found 1,383 reviews matching the search
Steady and Consistent
Senior System Engineer (Current Employee) –  Austin, TXAugust 18, 2015
The job security and salary were satisfactory. The company promotes from within however, candidates may have 20+ years. Overall the daily tasks are repetitive and not very challenging. If you do not like change this is about as consistent as IT gets.
Pros
Promotes from within
Cons
Costly lunch and drinks
People make the difference
EIT tool room (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MIMarch 29, 2016
Over the last 35 plus years I have found that the people you work with have a huge impact on your working environment. I have been most fortunate to have work with some great people over the years. But of course you have the few that want to make things a bit challenging. I have always found some sort of compromise to work with these type of folks. People are all different and have different wants as well as needed it just as important to respect that as well.
Pros
A good safe work environment
Cons
being sick and still going to work
Would not recommend
Paint Process Engineer (Current Employee) –  Arlington, TXSeptember 7, 2016
No work/life balance
No advancement opportunities

Areas needing improvement: leadership, upper management support of middle managers, training opportunities, advancement and cross-training opportunities between departments and disciplines.
Pros
Cons
Work/life balance, advancement opportunities, lack of training
Great company bad implementation
Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Lansing, MIMarch 11, 2016
Best job I've ever had, room for advancement is limited. Management is not what it should be, at least out of my department. Overall the company is amazing, they care about the employees.
A Steady Income
Journeyman Die Maker (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MIAugust 5, 2016
I spent 29 year there but as you can imagine, factory work (I was a skilled tradesman) has its pros and cons. It was a good, steady income but the frustration of limitations and silly expectations from the union-management environment was constricting. I worked the minimum to draw a "pension" and called it quits to pursue other interests.
support from fellow technicians and engineers
Level Engineering Technician (Former Employee) –  Warren, MIJuly 7, 2016
arrive and get right on with the work-testing standards and testing methods-let me do the job as i needed-always were ready to give a hand if i needed it-equiptment software was not designed for the job,but was forced to use it-great working conditions
Pros
respect
Cons
pressure to take shortcuts in testing proceedures
Great benefits and pay.
Quality Analyst and Quality Production Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Lansing, MI 48910July 24, 2016
You can work very long hours and 6 or more days a week depending on demand for vehicles. Management is very hard on their employees and write you up any chance they get. Great company to work for, but management can be very stressful.
Pros
Benefits, pay, time off.
Cons
Management are overly hard on employees.
Good company to work for, lots of things to do
Commodity Senior Buyer (Former Employee) –  Bogotá, CUNSeptember 29, 2015
Is a company that has been evolving as the market changes. There are a lot of changes coming up regarding regarding good place to work indicators.
Pros
Employee benefits
A company with long history
Global Supply Chain Risk Management Analyst (Current Employee) –  Warren, MIJanuary 13, 2016
Hesitant for change and innovation, poor talent acquisition - smart people may advance or leave the company; a lot of people who are underqualified play politics and make simple things more difficult to accomplish than necessary. Departments work in silos.
Pros
Great benefit; fame of the organization
Cons
Poor Management; Not a good place to work for in IT
GPStrategies/Sandy Group - management non cohesive; good starting place for entry level individuals; no career growth
In-dealership product trainer (Current Employee) –  Dallas/Fort Worth metro and surrounding areasJanuary 4, 2016
Contracted to GM through GPStrategies/Sandy Group -
Pros: self management, home office, travel daily, overnights 4 or 5 nights a month
Con: Company morphed dramatically - lack of cohesive management; job responsibilities changed day to day with no alerts; demands on time and skill sets without proper training; no recompense for addtional responsibilities
Pros
Cons
Con: Company morphed dramatically, lack of cohesive management, job responsibilities changed day to day with no alerts, demands on time and skill sets without proper training, no recompense for addtional responsibilities
Hard Work
Shipping and Receiving Clerk (Former Employee) –  Bay City, MIOctober 21, 2015
Great pay, great benefits.
My co-workers were great and we were like family. Good atmosphere and great bosses. Wonderful experience.
Assembly line
Assembly Line Worker (Former Employee) –  Lake Orion, MISeptember 9, 2015
the assembly line is just what it seems to be - I assembled parts as they came down a conveyor and ensured that the parts were within coding specifications. My co-workers were amazing and always willing to help. The job became very strenuous on my body.
Pros
good money and benefits packages
Cons
strain on the body
Assembly line work in a factory setting
Assembler (Current Employee) –  Warren OhioAugust 11, 2015
I am a relief operator within my unit. I problem solve and make necessary repair on doors when necessary. My coworkers are dedicated to making a successful product to ensure future product at our plant. The most enjoyable part of my job would be the diverse population that I work with on a daily basis.
Pros
good pay and benefits
Cons
I am not working full time in my dream field
Operations is not for the weak
NOC Shift Manager (Current Employee) –  Warren, MIJuly 21, 2016
The GM Culture is a great example of how work should be but operational roles are pretty much excluded from this culture. You work hard and prove that you are worthy of advancement. As long as you are backed by a great leadership team, you can have high hopes.
Pros
Car Discount, Schooling benefits
Cons
HDHCP
Great Company
Locomotive engine assembler/Fabricator/Rebuilder (Former Employee) –  chicago, ilAugust 25, 2016
I really enjoyed working for General Motors. The company gave me great experience working in the locomotive industry. Great benefits and wages. The plant was very family goal oriented. I would have retired from this company had they not relocated to Canada.
its a job that need positive people like me
Skilled Support Operator (Former Employee) –  Warren, MISeptember 7, 2016
Well to tell you the truth my review for General motors is a neutral one. It can be a wonderful place to work due to the pay. Although the facility I worked for is an up and down business, there is sometimes layoffs, and yet there is overtime. So in ways it equals out.
Productive and excelent place to work with good lessons learning database
Product Engineer - GMSA Electrical QRD Leader (Current Employee) –  Brazil, INApril 30, 2016
I really like to work at GM, but I want to have an international experience, for that reason I'm looking for an opportunity.
GM has a good place to work, with co-workers that help and support each other, also has a excelent database with lessons learning and Best practices to lead all employee to do your best.
Pros
health insurance, stability and work environment
Security for family
Quality Technician (Former Employee) –  Doraville, GAAugust 14, 2016
I Learned how to make many repairs that helped out when fixing things at home. Great co-workers and management. the most enjoyment is during the holidays how management allows workers to decorate there line and work stations!
Pros
Great pay, Benefits, holiday time off
Cons
No A/C in the summer
Interesting job to have. It required attention to detail
Team Leader Internship (Former Employee) –  Hamtramck, MIJuly 9, 2016
The requirements were asking of you to be at your best day in and day out but it was worth it. A typical work day was hot, humid, and could be a delayed minute away from being boring. But my co workers is what made the job
Pros
lunch, work schedule
Cons
not advancement available
One of the best places to work
Quality Inspection UOP (Former Employee) –  Moraine, OHSeptember 11, 2016
Many of the jobs were hard, but the rewards were great. Great benefits, constantly learning new things, meeting new people. It was like home away from home. I learned about hard work, respect, timing, and teamwork.
Pros
great benefits, insurance, retirement.

4.2