General Nutrition Corporation

General Nutrition Corporation Employee Reviews

Productive interesting workplace
Assistant Manager (Current Employee), Madison, ALApril 6, 2015
Pros: Laid back work environment, helping other people reach their goals, learning how to better myself and others through supplemenetation
Cons: Never see the owner, and it seems rather difficult to get an actual promotion. Because we work partially on commission.
I enjoy working for the GNC franchise I currently work for, she owns 14 stores. And is rarely ever available to talk to. The franchise is set up a little different than the corporate locations as far as we have more of a variety to choose from of products that produce a higher margin. Primarily because corporate stores push higher volumes and are able to cut costs that way without effecting the corporation as a whole. Sometimes people complain that we have higher prices, but thats partially due to the 9% royalties we pay to GNC corporate. Other than that I've been asked to be promoted to manager, but couldn't fulfill the duties due to my class schedule. I've always been in the list of top 3 employees since the day i started out of 14 stores and 142 employees total.
Friendly Place to Work With Nice Jobs
Shipping Clerk (Current Employee), Phoenix, AZMarch 17, 2015
Pros: occasional catering, friendly management, not too hard
Cons: unpredictable hours
A typical day at work for me would include many different jobs, such as wrapping pallets, loading boxes, filling out paperwork, sending e-mails, gathering products, making Excel sheets, etc. The managers in the department where I work are extremely cool and great people to work for. The hardest part for me would be making sure I get all of my hours, which is unpredictable from week to week. I enjoy the many jobs I am able to do in this position.
GNC management
Store Manager (Current Employee), Warren, MIFebruary 27, 2015
Pros: working in the health industry
Cons: salary
The management position at GNC has allowed me to cultivate my skills as a mentor, motivator, and also focusing on sales plan,
Great environment helping clients achieve their goals
Store Manager (Former Employee), Somers, NYFebruary 24, 2015
Pros: personal satisfaction in helping others succeed
Cons: n/a
I loved helping customers meet and achieve their personal goals to better themselves through living a healthy lifestyle.
Great Learning Experience
Sales Associate/Casshier (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PAFebruary 17, 2015
Pros: convenient location, reasonable prices, commission
Cons: hourly wage, times of operation, promotions
A typical day at work would include coming in first, making sure that customers don't need any assistance. Making sure no one needed assistance, then at that particular time a walk around would be fit to do at this time. A walk around is basically making sure that items on the shelves do not need to be restocked. I learned that it is very important to have patience when working with people because you never know the circumstance of what is going on. Management was acceptable except for the lateness of when schedules were distributed out. The hardest part of the job would have to be staying calm and focus when people are totally opposite. The most enjoyable part was learning different things about people and where they came from. Not only do you watch people grow but it allows you to see people adapting to new things and new people.
Productive workplace with room for advancement
Sales Associate/Health and Nutrition Advocate (Current Employee), Clay, NYFebruary 4, 2015
A typical day at work would be introducing new customers to the various products we offer and educating them on what product or program would fit their needs. I have learned that as a sales associate you must be willing to listen to the customer to find out their goals and life habits. The hardest part of the job had to be finding specific products to fit specific needs of each unique customer. The most enjoyable part of the job is when repeat customers return and have success stories due to the products I have suggested.
Educational and Informative Place to Work
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Metairie, LADecember 30, 2014
Pros: good atmosphere, educational, good team work.
Cons: large amount of information to absorb quickly, understaffed at times
Overall, GNC is a good place to work. The hours are extremely flexible and the job pays particularly well for a part time position. Sometimes, the work place gets a bit hectic, however management does a good job of training sales associates and helping to balance the workload between employees.
Competitive work environment
Sales Associate/Store Manager (Current Employee), Gibbstown, NJDecember 10, 2014
Pros: base pay with commission
Cons: limited employee appreciation
•Sell merchandise to customers by following GNC’s prescribed selling methods.

•Manage the operations, staffing, and sales/profit goals in a single assigned retail store.

•Implement evaluations and improvement strategies for the employee performance.

•Managed the revenue of the store which includes cash handling, delivery of deposits to the bank, and deposit reconciliation.
solid company
Sr. Executive Assistant (Current Employee), Pittsburgh, PANovember 14, 2014
Pros: provide many benefits for employees (free fruit, health fairs, etc)
Cons: lacking in communication
GNC is a good solid company with its corporate headquarters in downtown Pittsburgh. Many long time employees.
Great company to work for
General Manager (Former Employee), Florence, ALOctober 14, 2014
Pros: loved helping people with health goals and talking with them
Cons: 65 miles from i live and cant afford to commute anymore.
Ive enjoyed my time with GNC but am looking for a company with better advancement opportunities.
Productive sales environment, knowlege based sales.
Sales associate/ Manager (Former Employee), Cincinnati, OHSeptember 15, 2014
Pros: employee discounts and free products to test.
Cons: constant changes in marketing, high employee turn-over rate
In a typical workday I would be in charge of processing payroll, training employees, meeting sales plan for each day/ year. I would interact with many different types of customer and find the products that best met their needs and show them new supplements that may benefit their lifestyle. We had to constantly keep up with new merchandiding guidelines and change visual marketing tools within the store. Sales chaged on a regular basis, and we had to keep up with changing prices according to sales and progressive markdowns of products with lim ited shelf life. It was fun and challenging learning about new products and hiring and training new employees to work in the same challenging environment.
Good Experience, fair pay, good work/life balance.
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Grapevine, TXAugust 9, 2014
Pros: fair pay, decent hours, overall good company
Cons: hours can be low, some slow days
The job was good; you get paid commission on certain items so you could make more than minimum wage. For a starting job it's nice to have, although the benefits for part-time aren't much but I didn't expect it to be. As for a typical day, it consisted of helping customers find products, or answering their questions about products. Most customers were nice which made the job a lot more enjoyable. Sometimes the hours were low maybe 20 a week if that, which could be bad for some but good for others who maybe just want some experience. Also some days can be very slow with just a few customers stopping in which can make it boring and hurt chances for commission items. Overall I really liked the job.
Exciting
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Centerville, UTJuly 15, 2014
Pros: freedom at the workplace
Cons: not enough training or hours
Get to learn all the new and upcoming supplements on the market. Help build supplement plans to meet every customers personal goals. Typically worked alone but had a great manager. Hardest part of the job is sales.
Competitive, fun, yet difficult
Part-Time Sales Associate (Former Employee), Brookfield, CT, Danbury, CT, Newtown, CTJune 24, 2014
Pros: good people, fun environment, learn a lot about health, overall good time.
Cons: too much work, while being paid next to nothing.
Whether you were a sales associate or a manager, you had responsibilities way above your pay grade. As an associate, i was responsible in handling customers, cleaning shelves, maintaining inventory, reading about new products, and more, while working alone.
I did get to learn a lot about health, and i had fun doing it. The commission is scarce, but after you learn a lot about the products and know what you're selling, it isn't hard to come by. It is definitely harder than any entry-level job, because in order to be a good salesman at GNC, you really need to know your product, and working in a mall you will need to know about a lot of products for a lot of different types of people of all ages.
On feet mainly all day either cleaning or helping others.
Part-Time Worker (Current Employee), Portland, TXMay 30, 2014
Currently only my manager and I work together. I help customers all day or whenever I may go into work. My manager and all my other higher ups only support us part-time employees and full-time employees. The hardest part of my job is really just dealing with people who are closed minded, but I stay smiling and happy to just help them. The most enjoyable part of my job is that I learn something new everyday on some products that I don't know much about and that I get to help someone every day and help them achieve their goals.
FUN
Sales Consultant (Former Employee), Gulf Breeze, FLMay 22, 2014
Pros: flexible hours
Cons: standing for large amounts of time
Had a great time working for this company. I learned alot more about health and fitness while working here. Management was great and understood my need for flexible hours. The hardest part of the job is standing for large amounts of time and the most enjoyable part is interacting with customers and sharing my knowledge of health and supplements.
Sales oriented
Sales Associate (Current Employee), Kokomo, INMay 14, 2014
Pros: discounts
Sales and time management are crucial. Co workers are nice and friendly, the hardest part about the job is dealing with difficult customers.
Rewarding sales/customer service position
Key Holder/Assistant Manager (Former Employee), New York, NYApril 22, 2014
Pros: comission alongside hourly wage
Cons: full-time shifts last 12 hours in most corporate locations and you're not allowed to sit
Functional for those who enjoy building sales relationships through good customer service. Individual performance is not blemished by any failure to meet store goals.
Terrific Atmosphere
Retail Sales Associate (Current Employee), Viera, FLApril 14, 2014
Working at this job has helped me develop an even stronger sense of truly helping people live well and placing their needs before my own. I enjoy being around all of my coworkers, and also enjoy being able to provide and exceed the expectations of my customers by making their thoughts and goals my priority while they are asking me questions.
Had one of the best manager of my career. wonderful learning experience.
PRODUCTION AND DISTRIBUTION SUPERVISOR (Former Employee), Pittsburgh, PAApril 1, 2014
Pros: excellent compensation & benefits at the time. great learning opportunities.
Cons: very uneven work/life balance.
Most of my co-workers were wonderful. One of the most difficult things was constant change while promotions were in progress.

About General Nutrition Corporation

GNC, the leader in the development and manufacture of dietary supplements, is committed to producing the highest quality products – Read more

General Nutrition Corporation Salaries