Genesee & Wyoming Inc. Employee Reviews

Do Not Work For This Company!
Conductor (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORSeptember 11, 2016
This is the absolute worst company I have ever been employed by. The management team is a complete joke. They are all a bunch of class 1 railroad rejects. You know they are bad when they are too big of scum bags to be kept on at places like UP or BNSF. Everything is so mismanaged. I had a manager threaten me with discipline for not violating the federal hours of service law. The pay is a joke especially for the amount of work and consistent 12 hour days. It is absolutely impossible to take any time off even for medical purposes. I once went into the ER and was in and out of the hospital for a week. When I returned to work, I was threatened with my job. That was the last straw for me, I quit soon after.
Poor leadership and discipline
Switchman (Current Employee) –  OhioSeptember 6, 2016
Management is a joke, and so is the discipline. You can no call no show multiple times and still have a job. It is honestly the most unorganized company I have ever worked for. They preach safety, but some of their rules are so stringent that they make absolutely zero sense and they hinder the ability to work efficiently. You have little chance of advancement unless you belong to the "good ole boys" club. If you absolutely need a job or you have little railroad experience, go ahead and apply. You will at least get the experience needed to go to a better railroad company. If not, I strongly advise to avoid this company.
Pros
Ok benefits
Cons
Almost everything else
By far worst company,management I have ever worked for in the 19 years Ive been able to work
Conductor/Engineer (Former Employee) –  Cera/tpwAugust 5, 2016
They don't care about discrimination first off, their management team is like junior highers to class 1 railroads as I have worked for class 1 for 10 years and they are light years ahead of this tiny class 3. When you have bad management it breads bad employees and that's what I dealt with the whole time. The preach family first but will do whatever their desire to cut your family off. Take insurance away even and cut your hours for them to make more money.
Pros
NONE
Cons
Alot
Do NOT work for this company
Laborer/ ex conductor (Former Employee) –  IllinoisJune 10, 2016
Do not work for this company.....they work you like a dog and treat u like scum for little pay.... when minimum wage goes to 15 an hour you will barely make more than someone working at taco Bell.... there is no job security even with a union. The management team bullies you and have absolute power with absolutely no common sense.... the insurance isn't bad but definitely not worth the mental anguish they put you threw. Treat others how you would like to be treated...... if that was true we would all be in a paper bag lit on fire on someone's front porch cause that's what these people treat you like.
Pros
Absolutely none
Cons
Everything about this job
Great Company
Manager (Current Employee) –  TexasMarch 24, 2016
Wonderful company to work for. They take care of their employees and benefits are great. The region is new so there is some learning processes.
Pros
People, culture and benefits.
Cons
Region is new and in learning phase
It's just terrible.
Conductor (Current Employee) –  Rail Link RegionDecember 26, 2015
Terrible. Politically motivated, the safety culture they preach is strictly to cover their own behind, and no chance of advancement from the bottom even with experience. Management has no idea what they are doing, and besides base compensation if you hire on with no railroad experience, has hardly any redeeming qualities. The only thing i can say about them besides that is that they won't get rid of you if they don't have to.
Pros
401k, Health Insurance isn't bad
Cons
Ineptitude at almost every level of management, scheduling inefficiencies.
Rail Link-Mountain West Region
Transportation (Former Employee) –  VariousSeptember 5, 2015
Don't even waste time with this politically motivated company. If you are not in the old Rail America you won't fit in with the team out there.

Worst bonus structure I've ever seen. Unskilled leaders and poor judgment in perforners. Basic railroading skills at best.
Pros
Had a bit of a life at times
Cons
Non-competitive incentives for managers. Good Ole boys club.
Unprofessional
Conductor (Former Employee) –  MeridianAugust 26, 2015
This is the worst company to work for. Management is terrible and they do wrong by their employees. If you want to succeed I would not get on with this company. Very unprofessional!!!
Culture built around safety and people
Trainmaster & DSLE (Current Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAMay 8, 2015
The worst days at my present job are better than the best days I had with my previous employer. The pay was a major step back, but the quality of life, focus on individual well-being, and professionalism fills the monetary void from the last company I worked.
Pros
Culture, Employees, Executive Team
Cons
Compensation and Benefits

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Genesee & Wyoming Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.

2.2