Genesee Community College Employee Reviews

stressful environment with little leadership involvment
Assistant of Human Resources (Former Employee) –  Batavia, NYJuly 13, 2017
2 stars would be all that I would rate the college
Little Leadership involvement. Not structured well for growth ability and little training or advancement opportunities.
Pros
discounted lunches
Cons
management
Great place to work when in college
Tutor and Lab Assistant in the Macintosh Lab (Former Employee) –  Batavia, NYJuly 12, 2017
Working at GCC was a great way to get more computer skills and make money on the side. Also sometimes there was free time when the Lab was empty to work on homework for classes.
Great office experience for college students.
Work Study Student- Admissions (Current Employee) –  Batavia, NYJune 12, 2017
Working here was like being put into the real world but less professionally. The work assigned to you is not overwhelming, and you get to see how people actually act in the workplace. Answering phones and helping new student be admitted is the basis of this job. As you can probably guess, you talk and interact with a variety of personalities, and you learn a lot about yourself as a person when dealing with this.
You also give tours to prospective students so yu have to learn both how to interact with a stranger you probably will never see again but also sell the school.
Pros
Can do homework. Flexible hours. Not overwhelming.
Cons
Low maximum hours.
a closed community that is difficult to penetrate; the most difficult part of the job was the isolation
Instructor (Former Employee) –  Batavia, NY 14020February 17, 2017
Working with students was the best part of GCC. Over my ten year employment there, I saw the leadership in my department change 4 times. In each instance, the new person would completely revamp the previous person's work until the last person removed all autonomy from the instructors reducing them to information delivery systems and eradicating creativity.
Pros
flexibility of part time, dealings with students
Cons
isolation, lack of autonomy
Very neat set up
Computer Lab Assistant (Current Employee) –  New York, NYDecember 1, 2016
My working career at Genesee Community College has been a very interesting experience for me. I've met workers throughout the years to realize how hard working some people are and sometimes how lazy. I've also experienced the real life work environment with just working as a work study in college, which is good because it gets college students the chance to know what happens next in life. At times it can be challenging with the low hours and low pay rates, but all in all everybody gets along. The hardest part of my job is not being able to work with the people I normally get along with. The most enjoyable part of my job though, is getting along well with my boss but still being able to do my job correctly. I've learned so much working here and I know I have far much more to learn but whatever it is, I know I'm ready.
Pros
Get to work on homework while in work study
Cons
Low pay and not enough hours
fun work place
Student events facilitator, IT (Former Employee) –  Lima, NYMay 14, 2016
genesee community college was a very thrilling and exiting experience. i learned alot and advice peope to seek them out.
College was fine
Student (Former Employee) –  Batavia, NYJanuary 18, 2016
It was very interesting & I received good grades. I met a lot of interesting people and learned a lot about the human body.
Pros
I like to learn.
Sales experience
Intern (Former Employee) –  Batavia, NYOctober 25, 2015
When I worked for the Batavia Muckdogs, I learned sales techniques through cold calling to season ticket holders. I also sold promotional nights to local restaurants and group ticket packages to families and other companies. Here i was given a list of people to call, past and present season ticket holders and asked if they were renewing. We also sold sponsorships for around the ball park to local companies and restaurants around town.
Productive and Fun Workplace
Work Study Student (Current Employee) –  Batavia, NYApril 5, 2015
I start my morning with a coffee, fill in my shift, fill out my time card.
I would pick up the phone and transfer calls to offices inside the student activities office.
The hardest part of my job would be to have answers right away for people.
The most enjoyable part of my day was doing tasks for my co-workers.
Pros
Free coffee, free food, amazing boss
My Genesee CC expereince
Laboratory Assistant (Former Employee) –  Batavia, NYOctober 30, 2014
As a Computer laboratory assistant I was responsible for maintenance of the lab as well as assisting students that are in in the lab. maintenance of the lab can consist anywhere from keeping track of printing paper through out the lab, the number of students in the lab each hour, which computers that might be broken. I had a motivating staff to work with who seemed to enjoy helping the students, which was my favorite part of the job. I really didn't find any task to be difficult
Pros
keeps you caught up with the school programs
Cons
you see most of the students the attend Gcc
Great job great co workers
Cleaner/Janitor (Former Employee) –  Batavia, NYSeptember 30, 2014
I was in housekeeping dept. Cleaned various parts of building.
Pros
good pay
Cons
overnights
very educational
Senior Library Clerk (Former Employee) –  Batavia, NYJuly 13, 2014
coworkers were nice to work with. worker who trained me was lacking alot of information i should have been taught not very good.
met many nice people.
Pros
meeting new people
Cons
not getting answers to questions
Wonderful place to work
Adjunct History Instructor (Former Employee) –  Albion, NYJuly 2, 2014
Never felt like work. Where else can you get paid to talk about something you love?
This is a college
General Studies and Physical Therapy Assistant (Current Employee) –  Batavia, NYFebruary 21, 2014
It's a good school, small enough to have smaller classroom settings for more attention with work.
Pros
not having huge classes
Cons
distance, too competitive to get into programs
High energy, fun environment
Event Staff (Former Employee) –  Batavia, NYMay 14, 2013
In a fast pace atmosphere attending to athletes with high spirits was fun and easy. A few things that I learned was paying close attention to the games and stayin gin tune with other co-workers so the game could flow. The hardest part of the job was understanding the game and the easiest part was making sure the fans were energized.
Pros
Fun surroundings, high energy
Cons
Not enough hours
Good place to teach
ADJUNCT INSTRUCTOR (Current Employee) –  Batavia, NYMarch 24, 2013
Good place to teach, helpful and resourceful staff, good training
I was an awesome YMCA helper.
Upward Bound Teachers Aid (Former Employee) –  Batavia, NYJanuary 7, 2013
I helped kids with food and other activities they needed. It was fun and I learned alot about teamwork and leadership.
Pros
thge satisfaction i helped kids
Fun
Computer Lab Tech (Former Employee) –  Batavia, NYJanuary 3, 2013
Fun environment. Loved working with and helping the students. Was the perfect job for me.
Pros
if there is no student that need help you can work on your own homework while on the clock.
Able to utilize my teaching skills and help out other nursing students
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Batavia, NYSeptember 3, 2012
Typical day was to focus on topics and test questions in an area that a student was not understanding very well. It helped me in reviewing old material and understand various students learning styles. The hardest part of my job was feeling like their success in that topic was all on me, but I enjoyed meeting students with the same desire and compassion in wanting to become an RN.
Pros
it was a paid position
Great people working together to produce superior opportunities for students and staff
Public Relations Assistant (Current Employee) –  Batavia, NYJune 8, 2012
Freedom to be creative; team collaboration; unlimited growth opportunities