Genesis HealthCare Employee Reviews in United States

Found 1,353 reviews matching the search
Low work/life balance, unapproachable management
Speech Language Pathologist (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLApril 1, 2016
I did not enjoy my experience working for Genesis. I began working for them when they acquired a smaller company I worked for. From day 1, benefits were slowly and consistently cut. Upper management does not maintain or welcome open communication. Many employees are fearful of addressing concerns with upper management. Policies are arbitrarily and not universally implemented across the company - all for the sake of saving money, but at the cost of significant stress to the employees. I did not feel valued or appreciated. I feel I was only a work horse to pull in high productivity and treat as many Part B's as they could harass me to treat.
Pros
The patients.
Cons
High stress due to micromanaging time off, poor work/life balance, open and welcome communication with upper management is a lie
Cannot be trusted
Speech-Language Pathologist (Current Employee) –  Waterford, MIApril 5, 2016
Genesis states they will provide you with job security, great benefits, paid time off, etc, however it took me almost a year to finally get a vacation approved. With that said our contract wasn't renewed at the facility we are currently at and was notified only 30 days in advance. Genesis stated we didn't sign a no-compete so we could interview elsewhere, however when we began interviewing with the new company taking over, the new company informed us that Genesis had a binding contract with the facility stating any employee from Genesis that is hired with this new company would have to be paid a lump some to Genesis, therefore making the Genesis employees more money to hire--hindering our chances of remaining at the facility. Furthermore, Genesis refuses to pay out our PTO, although it is not our choices we are leaving. This company may seem great, however they are very sneaky and it was more of a slap in the face after all of this.
Pros
therapy team, nursing staff, residents
Cons
management, HR
No appreciation for staff, all about money and making more of it even if unethical
PTA (Current Employee) –  PaApril 4, 2016
No appreciation for employees, no raise or if it's a year that they do give a raise it a barely anything, cut back on things regarding employees like 5 year bonus but is sending employees to China to open clinics. All about getting bigger but doing NOTHING for staff. Management very unprofessional.
Pros
Free CEUs
Cons
Poor management, poor ethics, all about money with no rewards to therapists for job well done
A nice environment
Environmental Services (Current Employee) –  Eldridge, IAMarch 10, 2016
I work alone, but couldn't ask for a better supervisor. She is exceptional. The co-worker's I do have contact with periodically are awesome as well. We are treated with respect and worth. A typical day at work being by myself, is just going in and getting the job done, to the best of my ability. I have learned a lot about sanitation, self-motivation, safety and the importance of following all these things to keep a clean and safe environment for patients, employees as well as for myself. The best part of the job, is knowing I have done the job well, and it shows at the end of the night.
Pros
Benefits and little things they do for the employees
Cons
Extremely high cost health insurance
Functions poorly overall
Registered Nurse, PRN (Current Employee) –  High Point, NCJanuary 7, 2016
Management team that "knows it all"; but took 3 tries to pass the State Survey. Excellent initial process with staff development; but then hands on follow through with unit manager very poor. Unrealistic expectations regarding patient load and time management. Unappreciative team leaders. Threaten your license if someone calls off and you don't stay over to work a double shift proclaiming your liable. Only problem is, people are constantly calling off. Stack most of job duties on day shift and then brow beat you because you weren't able to get it all done in 8 hours. Acuity of patients is high (they take anybody). This was on the TCU unit. Since going PRN to other units has been a much better place to be. I recommend it as a great PRN job only.
Pros
good pay, good benefits
Cons
poorly managed, thankless job, poor staff retention
Yes I would tell others to work at the Somerton Center
Director of Clinical Reimbursement (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMarch 4, 2016
I worked with a great team of nurses and others. Had we not moved to Florida I would still be at that job. I got in by choice at 6am and work till the end of the day, anywhere from 2:30-6pm.

I am very happy to have been given the chance to do both the Educator position and then the Director of Clinical Reimbursement.

Our office did a very difficult job with the MDS, we learned from each other and bounced ideas and thoughts off each other having to do with the MDS. It overall was a fun place to do a job.
Pros
Great people to work with.
Cons
That the company cut many of the benifits
Received a lot of pressure to meet High expectations with very little time to complete all tasks.
Physical Therapist Assistant (Former Employee) –  MDJanuary 4, 2016
When I first started with Genesis it was very enjoyable. However, over the last several years pressure had gradually increased which made my job unbearable. Benefits were being cut back and it was difficult to get time off when needed. I also did not receive help from supervisors to remedy difficult situations and felt like I was running a race all day. Nevertheless, my co workers were great. We were very close and we made a great team, but they were also experiencing great difficulties meeting the Employer's excessive expectations. I stayed with Genesis longer than I should have because I loved working with my co-workers and treating the residents.
Pros
My Co-workers were wonderful and very knowledgeable.
Cons
No Support from Management.
flelxible hours poor benfits
Physical Therapist Assistant (Current Employee) –  Windsor, CTMarch 20, 2016
Most buildings are very flexible with hours but no paid holidays, must request all time off. Vacation and sick time accrued based on worked hours, so the less hours you work (if your building gets slow or if you have a difficult case load) not only to you loose money in your paycheck you loose vacation and sick time accruing.
Pros
flexible hours, fast or slowed pace, large company has lots of different places to transfer or make up hours
Cons
poor benefits, no paid holidays, accrued vacation and sick time
Rehab in boca raton, fl
Therapist (Current Employee) –  Stratford court boca ratonApril 4, 2016
Coworkers were pretty nice to work with however if you are a female therapist, you will not do well with the current manager. The higher ups don't seem to care about surveys about managers yet they have us fill them out - a joke. Benefits are getting less and less. They come up with new rules all the time about taking time off which makes it extremely difficult to get any time off.
Pros
Co workers, setting, patients
Cons
Manager, less benefits, paperwork, no intercommunication
Overall decline
Occupational Therapist (Current Employee) –  VirginiaApril 3, 2016
Genesis was a good company to work for until their recent conversion to a publicly listed company . The pressure to increase productivity in an environment where building census's are declining has created tremendous stress and very unrealistic expectations from upper management. They are also resistant to . suggestions or concerns presented to them by therapy staff.
The staff themselves are hard working, dedicated and very supportive of each other I have developed excellent working relationships in every department I have been assigned to.. Unfortunately Genesis tends to over-saturate their facilities with therapists and that combined with a low census forces employees to move around to multiple facilities or end their day early, thereby jeopardizing full time status and creating a chaotic environment.
It is unfortunate that this company has headed in the direction they have headed, reducing benefits ,increasing insurance premiums and constantly reminding staff that investors expect profit leaves the impression that their employees are not a priority,this is being reflected in a significant number of employees seeking and finding employment elsewhere.
Pros
Great co-workers
Cons
Benefits, disconnected upper management

Want to know more about Genesis HealthCare?

Ask a question
The pay is what kept me there
RN (Former Employee) –  DelawareMarch 17, 2016
You have to be a strong and independent nurse to go into different facilities every day and get your work done. If you are a good, hard worker, don't expect to hear praise. They really only reach out to you if a shift has been cancelled or if you've done something wrong.
Pros
Excellent pay
Cons
Minimal support from management, no benefits
Genesis is an alright place to work, used to be great
RN OR Scheduler (Current Employee) –  Davenport, IAFebruary 1, 2016
I enjoy my co workers, the communication skills need to be improved upon throughout the organization. I used to have more autonomy in my position but with a newer director she tends to over micro manage everything, and it causes her performance to be less than optimal. Genesis does not follow their own policies when it comes to people transferring in and out of departments; which affects staffing and customer service.
Pros
If you show up and do your job, you keep your job
Cons
Expensive healthcare benefits with poor coverage
Nice coworkers but corporate doesn't care.
Office Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Newark, NJMarch 2, 2016
Sometimes coworkers act like children.
Few people are accountable.
Benefits are taken away yet employees expected to soldier on.
Cost of health insurance is crippling for some.
Avoid this company if you can.
Pros
Co-workers are decent.Shorter hours so I can leave early from the soul draining work.
Cons
Pay. Benefits. Executive leadership. Lack of profitability.
Worst company out there!!!
Speech Pathologist (Fulltime) (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYMarch 15, 2016
The rehab staff I worked with was awesome! The company itself was the worst rehab company I have worked for in 32 yrs!! Bottom line: Poor management support. Cut benefits/pay across the board yet acquiring new facilities daily. Unethical. No annual reviews. Rude managers
Pros
Cons
All of the above
Complicated, Stressful
cna (Current Employee) –  Brightwood Follansbee, W.V.November 16, 2015
I have been working for genesis HealthCare for years now.And our management team only thinks of us cna as a name and number.You go to them with problems and all you here is I'll take care of it.But does it ever get done (NO)...We have been through several administrators and none seem to stay more than 4 years..They tell u what u want to here to get u in the door.But don't follow through with there words.Some of our nurses think it's above them to help cna's out.but we have some that are great with having no problem helping us out.My cna coworkers all work as a team we do what it takes to get the job done!! Are scheduling is not too great at this time.They do what the want with it and who cares about what u think or you have going on in your life they don't care.
Pros
Salary, Benefits, cna coworkers, resident's
Cons
Management, Short Staffing
Good Employer
Nurse Practitioner (Current Employee) –  Silvis, ILMarch 30, 2016
Great benefits, good work environment, competitive salary. Positive work environment. Great coworkers, great management. Compassionate work environment. normal patient loads.
Don't even apply!
COTA/L (Current Employee) –  Allentown, PAApril 4, 2016
All they do is take away! NO holidays off! Just took away Thanksgiving and Christmas! Must work 2 weekends a month... No raises, high productivity requirements. Terrible morale!!!
Pros
Cons
all
Sun Healthcare was taken over by Genesis, it was all downhill from there
unlisted (Former Employee) –  Madison, CTDecember 21, 2015
Genesis is not a great company to work for. The benefits are awful, very expensive. Unfortunately, like many healthcare companies the bottom line is the bottom line. Since the company went public it has gone from bad to worse.
The turnover rate is so high, it Is hard to even know coworkers anymore.
Very often not enough staff.
Stress level very high at all times.
Pros
working with the residents and trying to make their lives better.
Cons
company only interested in making money
Great People
Manager (Current Employee) –  southeastNovember 2, 2015
The upper management staff within this region acts like a sorority, in that one can never be better than the other. With that said nothing gets done, or at least nothing gets done correctly. You have a meeting about a meeting about another meeting before anything gets accomplished. The benefits for a healthcare company are sub-par, which is surprising. Could be a great company if they knew how to build a culture and take care of the staff that's willing to work for the pennies they dole out, from the millions they take in. But this is the world we live in now.
Pros
Good people
Cons
Poor upper management
Great co-workers
Staffing Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Kennett Square, PAMarch 19, 2016
Lack of communication from upper management. Worked with great co-workers and staff. Lots of turnover within the company.
Pros
Flexible work schedule
Cons
Low pay and high benefits

2.9