Genesis HealthCare Employee Reviews

Found 1,483 reviews matching the search
great work environment, fast pace
Clinical Admissions Director (Current Employee) –  Towson, MDJanuary 26, 2017
The work day is long fast, very busy organization. I have learned a lot as they work is very detailed oriented. Management is great, work is not micro-managed however, the expections are of the highest standards. The hardest part of the jos is just the volume of work although, it's managable. The work will keep you sitting for long periods of time. It's important remember to get up and move around.
Pros
great work environment
Cons
downsizing
Being that I am a non professional, my hours were cut to 30 hours a week last year, but remain as a full time employee..
Therapy Tech (Current Employee) –  Scranton, PAJanuary 25, 2017
My typical day at work is physical and can be stressful. I have at times, 8 therapist who rely on me to make sure they have their residents ready for therapy. I report to the DOR and the therapist any messages from the nursing staff. Maintain all the therapy equipment and keep accurate cleaning logs and temperature readings, daily.
The most enjoyable part of my day is making someone, ( resident) smile, weather through singing, telling jokes or just listening to their story.
Job security is a bonus
Occupational Therapist (Current Employee) –  Bridgeville, PAJanuary 30, 2017
This facility is a multi - site facility. We also treat residents for our contracted home health companies as well, therefore, knowing each piece of documentation/requirements to meet their guidelines.

I, and my team, have also assisted treating at the skilled nursing center above our residential community amongst other buildings as well. We learn to be very adaptable to change at a moments notice.

We promote great customer care and excellent customer service.
Pros
Job security
Cons
Wage freezes for the past few years
This nursing home has good and bad qualities
LPN Floor Nurse (Former Employee) –  Brooklyn Park, MDJanuary 31, 2017
The responsibilities given by upper nurses became a personal attack and I made a justifiable decision to leave. I gave my heart to my patience and upper management wanted to protect themselves before the patients. My nursing career of 50 years had come to a quick end.
Pros
Worked with some good people, will miss my patience.
Cons
Some staff members do not do their job, Upper management does not care to listen. Patients need more care..
Poor culture and retention
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  ColoradoJanuary 21, 2017
Worked there for almost 2 years, poor upper management, culture, pay and benefits. They pride themselves on mediocre work ethic, over working employees, little to no appreciation, and expecting a person to be "on call" outside of work hours. Employees who voice concerns are rarely listened to, and changes are not made. No raises and they do not care about retaining employees which is evident with the high turn over rates. If you're looking for a "filler" job while you search for something else then this is the place for you!
Pros
Commute, direct coworkers
Cons
Raises, pay, management
My experience
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Mount Olive, NCJanuary 5, 2017
At typical day at Genesis, can be challenging sometimes, but like most jobs, the staff members are professional and team players. Management can be a bit overbearing, but they only want what is best for the staff and the residents. Within the 4 years that I have been there, I have learned that it takes patients, compassion, communication, and understanding in order for the company to run smoothly. In my opinion, the hardest part of the job is loosing a resident, but the most enjoyable part of the job is seeing a smile on a resident or a coworkers face.
Pros
care giving
Cons
staff challenged at times
It was and very productive and welcoming family like work place.
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Parkville, MDJanuary 31, 2017
It was always something new i was learning after all I worked around and with a lot of older and wise people. Not only did my co-workers make me feel welcome and like family the patients also did. The hardest part was my hours they where dead smack in the middle of the day which interrupted my outside activities/duties. The most enjoyable part was the patients they were all so loving.
Worst place ever...run away, do not work for this company
Employee (Current Employee) –  Human beingJanuary 4, 2017
No management leadership, no help, stress level is unbearable.

The site made an error and deducted benefits out of my 12/23/16 pay, shorting me money I was owed and earned. As of 01/04/17 I am still waiting for this money owed even after I received a visa pay card but no one has loaded into my card the money.

On site management does not act or care, nor does calls to regional and corporate office heed any action.

State of vermont and us department of labor are taking action on my behalf
Good for PRN work
Speech Language Pathologist (Former Employee) –  Crestview, FLJanuary 2, 2017
My PRN experience with this company was mostly a positive experience, some days better than others. The therapy staff was dedicated to positive patient outcomes and worked very well as a team to ensure success. This was the most enjoyable part of the job. The Rehab Director is professional and caring. The hardest part of the job was losing patients that had been become friends over the years. The facility in which I worked was so impressive that I placed a family member at the facility.
Pros
Therapy Staff
making my own schedule. Meeting new people at different facilities
Agency nurse (Former Employee) –  Burlington, NJDecember 31, 2016
With Genesis I was staffing agency. I got to pick what shifts and what facilities I wanted to pick up.
Typical day would involved getting report. Doing rounds for vitals and start meds. Documentation on patients and reviewing lab results and consulting with doctor. We interacted with the rehabilitation team often to see progress. Management was very flexable. The hardest part was being short staffed. Most enjoyable part was my co-workers at all the facilities. Very helpful and we worked as a team.
Terrible. No employee appreciation. Poor salary.
LPN Charge Nurse (Former Employee) –  Las Cruces, NMDecember 31, 2016
This company is simply too big for it's own good. The employees are under paid and under appreciated. They add tasks and job duties, new procedures without removing or reassigning old ones which leads to being over worked. Benefits are terrible, especially the health insurance. The premiums are outrageous and you can't even afford to go to the doctor.
Pros
Convenient Inservices and education.
Cons
Poor benefits, poor pay rate
Poor teamwork
Nursing (Former Employee) –  Gettysburg, PAJanuary 3, 2017
Serious lack of coordination and teamwork. Poor communication between residents, staff, and families. Unsafe as nurses are expected to perform too many roles. Workload of CNAs is too demanding. Lots of agency as they cant seem to keep anyone, in nursing and management. Just another corporate money making machine. And flu shots are mandatory. Pay is low, benefits are expensive. Many, many cliques.
Pros
Great therapy program
Cons
Lousy pay, low staff morale
They had bingo for the residents and maybe some other activities
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Martinsburg, WVJanuary 20, 2017
The job was not a problem for me love working there helping the residents but the place was poorly run and they put a lot on your shoulders but wasn't a problem for me but they used you and didn't care how much they put on you...
Pros
Love helping people and I love the residents and doing what can for them
Cons
The place was very poorly run and the place was falling apart...
Horrible self centered management with complete lack of concern for employees
Nurse (Former Employee) –  Fredericksburg, VADecember 28, 2016
Consistently short staffed EVERY shift EVERY day for over a year with no prospect of that changing. Management is completely self serving and changes policies to better suit them without giving staff proper notice. High and mighty management decided on multiple occasions to not answer or be unavailable when on call to work. Meanwhile one nurse and one aid are alone on a unit with 45 residents. some skilled and some long terms to clarify. Unsafe and unfair to residents and staff alike!!
New administration/nursing management create fun events for staff to get to know one another which then makes it a more comfortable work environment.
Registered Nurse Long term unit manager (Current Employee) –  Naugatuck, CTDecember 27, 2016
A warm welcoming environment which offers much opportunity for personal growth working with rehab residents transitioning back to home and long term residents for whom you have an opportunity to provide a comfortable end of life environment.
Pros
Orienting staff are provided with necessary time to learn their job with mentors.
Cons
parking spaces are limited.
Unprofessional management, unorganized, poor staffing
LVN Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXDecember 30, 2016
When concerns are taken to management and administration they are never addressed. Always short staffed with CNA's leaving the nurses to deal with unhappy patients and family members. Supplies are always low or not stocked. Not enough linen or pillows. The facility is always filthy, it never looks like it's disinfected. Frequent plumbing issues.
Pros
Plenty of overtime
Cons
Excessive work load
Horrible and stressful
Laundry and Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Fairmont, WVDecember 16, 2016
Noone got along. If all was going good, there was 1 person there that would put a crowbar in it. The tension was so thick you could cut it with a knife. No need to go to supervisors, they wouldn't do anything about it, instead, you would end up the bad person. Your make minimum wage, the union takes out initiation fees on top of their percentage, then if you want insurance, you won't have much of a paycheck. You don't get paid for 8 hrs either, even though you have to answer calls during your 30 minute lunch and because you only get paid for 7 1/2 hrs, you only get one break. This place is horrible
Pros
Non
Cons
All of the above and more
Bad place to work
LPN Charge Nurse (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHDecember 15, 2016
I worked here for 3 years and in that time there has been 4 DON and 3 administrators. Alot of favouritism. Good nurses get ran off while the bad nurses keep their jobs. Supervisors dont help at all. Administration wont come out of their office to help. Dementia unit has no activities even though they promise families 12 hours of activities. STNA are insobordinate. They keep nurses who have stolen narcotics and treat residents poorly
Pros
Patients
Cons
understaffed management is terrible
Unsafe Place to work!!!
Nurse (Current Employee) –  Louisville, KYJanuary 13, 2017
Staffing is too low making this place unsafe to work for nurses, aides and residents. Overwork the good employees that actually work. Very high turnover. Pay is below average. Health insurance is poor especially for working with sick people everyday. Multiple resident complaints. Most other companies pay better and have better working conditions.
Pros
Cons
you will burnout from short staffing, low pay
Most unorganized place you could imagine
Geriatric Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Frederick, MDDecember 8, 2016
The patients are neglected and mistreated. The staff is lazy, and a large majority do not care for the patients at all. The management only cares about money so the place is always short staffed. And they force you to work extra hours or they will fire you. The state is close to shutting the ballenger reek location down because they have a large sum of violations. This is the worst place I've ever worked, and as much as I love the patients this place needs to be shut down. It is also the lowest paid nursing home in Frederick.
Pros
Amazing pateints, pretty new building
Cons
healthcare, staff, lazy administrators, bad pay

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Genesis HealthCare. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9