Genesis HealthCare Employee Reviews

Found 1,319 reviews matching the search
Low work/life balance, unapproachable management
Speech Language Pathologist (Former Employee) –  Tampa, FLApril 1, 2016
I did not enjoy my experience working for Genesis. I began working for them when they acquired a smaller company I worked for. From day 1, benefits were slowly and consistently cut. Upper management does not maintain or welcome open communication. Many employees are fearful of addressing concerns with upper management. Policies are arbitrarily and not universally implemented across the company - all for the sake of saving money, but at the cost of significant stress to the employees. I did not feel valued or appreciated. I feel I was only a work horse to pull in high productivity and treat as many Part B's as they could harass me to treat.
Pros
The patients.
Cons
High stress due to micromanaging time off, poor work/life balance, open and welcome communication with upper management is a lie
Cannot be trusted
Speech-Language Pathologist (Current Employee) –  Waterford, MIApril 5, 2016
Genesis states they will provide you with job security, great benefits, paid time off, etc, however it took me almost a year to finally get a vacation approved. With that said our contract wasn't renewed at the facility we are currently at and was notified only 30 days in advance. Genesis stated we didn't sign a no-compete so we could interview elsewhere, however when we began interviewing with the new company taking over, the new company informed us that Genesis had a binding contract with the facility stating any employee from Genesis that is hired with this new company would have to be paid a lump some to Genesis, therefore making the Genesis employees more money to hire--hindering our chances of remaining at the facility. Furthermore, Genesis refuses to pay out our PTO, although it is not our choices we are leaving. This company may seem great, however they are very sneaky and it was more of a slap in the face after all of this.
Pros
therapy team, nursing staff, residents
Cons
management, HR
No appreciation for staff, all about money and making more of it even if unethical
PTA (Current Employee) –  PaApril 4, 2016
No appreciation for employees, no raise or if it's a year that they do give a raise it a barely anything, cut back on things regarding employees like 5 year bonus but is sending employees to China to open clinics. All about getting bigger but doing NOTHING for staff. Management very unprofessional.
Pros
Free CEUs
Cons
Poor management, poor ethics, all about money with no rewards to therapists for job well done
The pay is what kept me there
RN (Former Employee) –  DelawareMarch 17, 2016
You have to be a strong and independent nurse to go into different facilities every day and get your work done. If you are a good, hard worker, don't expect to hear praise. They really only reach out to you if a shift has been cancelled or if you've done something wrong.
Pros
Excellent pay
Cons
Minimal support from management, no benefits
Good Employer
Nurse Practitioner (Current Employee) –  Silvis, ILMarch 30, 2016
Great benefits, good work environment, competitive salary. Positive work environment. Great coworkers, great management. Compassionate work environment. normal patient loads.
Overall decline
Occupational Therapist (Current Employee) –  VirginiaApril 3, 2016
Genesis was a good company to work for until their recent conversion to a publicly listed company . The pressure to increase productivity in an environment where building census's are declining has created tremendous stress and very unrealistic expectations from upper management. They are also resistant to . suggestions or concerns presented to them by therapy staff.
The staff themselves are hard working, dedicated and very supportive of each other I have developed excellent working relationships in every department I have been assigned to.. Unfortunately Genesis tends to over-saturate their facilities with therapists and that combined with a low census forces employees to move around to multiple facilities or end their day early, thereby jeopardizing full time status and creating a chaotic environment.
It is unfortunate that this company has headed in the direction they have headed, reducing benefits ,increasing insurance premiums and constantly reminding staff that investors expect profit leaves the impression that their employees are not a priority,this is being reflected in a significant number of employees seeking and finding employment elsewhere.
Pros
Great co-workers
Cons
Benefits, disconnected upper management
Functions poorly overall
Registered Nurse, PRN (Current Employee) –  High Point, NCJanuary 7, 2016
Management team that "knows it all"; but took 3 tries to pass the State Survey. Excellent initial process with staff development; but then hands on follow through with unit manager very poor. Unrealistic expectations regarding patient load and time management. Unappreciative team leaders. Threaten your license if someone calls off and you don't stay over to work a double shift proclaiming your liable. Only problem is, people are constantly calling off. Stack most of job duties on day shift and then brow beat you because you weren't able to get it all done in 8 hours. Acuity of patients is high (they take anybody). This was on the TCU unit. Since going PRN to other units has been a much better place to be. I recommend it as a great PRN job only.
Pros
good pay, good benefits
Cons
poorly managed, thankless job, poor staff retention
Received a lot of pressure to meet High expectations with very little time to complete all tasks.
Physical Therapist Assistant (Former Employee) –  MDJanuary 4, 2016
When I first started with Genesis it was very enjoyable. However, over the last several years pressure had gradually increased which made my job unbearable. Benefits were being cut back and it was difficult to get time off when needed. I also did not receive help from supervisors to remedy difficult situations and felt like I was running a race all day. Nevertheless, my co workers were great. We were very close and we made a great team, but they were also experiencing great difficulties meeting the Employer's excessive expectations. I stayed with Genesis longer than I should have because I loved working with my co-workers and treating the residents.
Pros
My Co-workers were wonderful and very knowledgeable.
Cons
No Support from Management.
I loved it, except management
Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA) (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COSeptember 24, 2015
I absolutely loved my job at Gensis except for the management. When I first started out everyone told me how horrible it was; but I did not believe them and I wish I would have. I learned how to be a better CNA, take care of my patients and deal with different types of people. The joy that I saw on my residents faces whenever something was accomplished is what made my job worth while. It never mattered about how long of hours I worked, as long as their goals got accomplished. I enjoyed taking care of them very much especially because of how thankful they were. When I worked with the residents who were not all there, they were quite a challenge but they were still very fun. You interact with multiple personalities, learn different routines they have and how to take care of people from different cultures. Not a day went by that I did not learn something new. This career path is definitely for someone who wants to go to work and not know what to expect.
Pros
Residents, pay, benefits
Cons
Nice coworkers but corporate doesn't care.
Office Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Newark, NJMarch 2, 2016
Sometimes coworkers act like children.
Few people are accountable.
Benefits are taken away yet employees expected to soldier on.
Cost of health insurance is crippling for some.
Avoid this company if you can.
Pros
Co-workers are decent.Shorter hours so I can leave early from the soul draining work.
Cons
Pay. Benefits. Executive leadership. Lack of profitability.
Great People
Manager (Current Employee) –  southeastNovember 2, 2015
The upper management staff within this region acts like a sorority, in that one can never be better than the other. With that said nothing gets done, or at least nothing gets done correctly. You have a meeting about a meeting about another meeting before anything gets accomplished. The benefits for a healthcare company are sub-par, which is surprising. Could be a great company if they knew how to build a culture and take care of the staff that's willing to work for the pennies they dole out, from the millions they take in. But this is the world we live in now.
Pros
Good people
Cons
Poor upper management
Worst company out there!!!
Speech Pathologist (Fulltime) (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYMarch 15, 2016
The rehab staff I worked with was awesome! The company itself was the worst rehab company I have worked for in 32 yrs!! Bottom line: Poor management support. Cut benefits/pay across the board yet acquiring new facilities daily. Unethical. No annual reviews. Rude managers
Pros
Cons
All of the above
Complicated, Stressful
cna (Current Employee) –  Brightwood Follansbee, W.V.November 16, 2015
I have been working for genesis HealthCare for years now.And our management team only thinks of us cna as a name and number.You go to them with problems and all you here is I'll take care of it.But does it ever get done (NO)...We have been through several administrators and none seem to stay more than 4 years..They tell u what u want to here to get u in the door.But don't follow through with there words.Some of our nurses think it's above them to help cna's out.but we have some that are great with having no problem helping us out.My cna coworkers all work as a team we do what it takes to get the job done!! Are scheduling is not too great at this time.They do what the want with it and who cares about what u think or you have going on in your life they don't care.
Pros
Salary, Benefits, cna coworkers, resident's
Cons
Management, Short Staffing
A nice environment
Environmental Services (Current Employee) –  Eldridge, IAMarch 10, 2016
I work alone, but couldn't ask for a better supervisor. She is exceptional. The co-worker's I do have contact with periodically are awesome as well. We are treated with respect and worth. A typical day at work being by myself, is just going in and getting the job done, to the best of my ability. I have learned a lot about sanitation, self-motivation, safety and the importance of following all these things to keep a clean and safe environment for patients, employees as well as for myself. The best part of the job, is knowing I have done the job well, and it shows at the end of the night.
Pros
Benefits and little things they do for the employees
Cons
Extremely high cost health insurance
Terrible company
Rehab Technician (Former Employee) –  Madison, WISeptember 11, 2015
This company is awful. Management was micro managing, work spaces were cramped and crowded, no team atmosphere, the salary was lousy. I could deal with all of the previous points but I did not agree with the fact that they designated a patient quota to their therapists. Employees would be reprimanded if they did not fill their patient quota for the month. So in order to fill that quota therapists would pick patients that didn't necessarily need treatment but they had to fill a patient quota for that month. I believed the practice to be unethical. The worst thing is they were putting families in financial distress.
Pros
Cons
poor management, poor job culture, stressful environment, inadequate pay, awful facilies
Don't even apply!
COTA/L (Current Employee) –  Allentown, PAApril 4, 2016
All they do is take away! NO holidays off! Just took away Thanksgiving and Christmas! Must work 2 weekends a month... No raises, high productivity requirements. Terrible morale!!!
Pros
Cons
all
horrible place to work , over worked and under staffed constantly
Licensed Practical Nurse (Former Employee) –  Willow Grove, PASeptember 21, 2016
This place is not a good place to work, CNA's are understaffed and over worked. Some CNA's only listen to the charge nurses that they like. Nurses are over worked, you can never leave work on time. They give you too much work to be completed in 8 hours. Nurses never take breaks, you can forget it. If you take a lunch break, you would never leave. Management is not supportive of you. Residents make the job some what enjoyable and you will learn a lot. Genesis overall is a very stressful company to work for.
Pros
residents and some co workers
Cons
no breaks even though we have to say we received a break, Cna's understaffed and insubordinate, no support from management, They over work all nursing staff, low pay in comparison to other nursing facilities.
enjoyed working with the elderly, and most co-workers, enjoyed my job
Housekeeper/Laundry (Former Employee) –  Logan, WVNovember 2, 2015
always enjoyed my job for the most part until the dept. got a new supervisor. When she decided she didn't like you she made it a miserable place to work and when u talked to the higher up management it still never got better, no matter how good you did your job. Always got along good with all co-workers, enjoyed the residents.
Pros
good benefits, vacations
Cons
no job security, favoritism, unfareness
rewarding environment
Housekeeping department (Current Employee) –  Cedar Grove, NJSeptember 1, 2016
The years that I worked for Genesis I worked in the housekeeping department where I was afforded the opportunity to meet many wonderful co-workers and managers. They helped mold me into the individual I am today, through motivating me to be the best I can be. With words of encouragement and motivation to pursue my dreams and now accomplishing them. I enjoyed my time there, however as with any success comes change and now it is time for me to move on and advance myself in the healthcare field. I look forward to learning even more from my new found career and hope that I can continue to grow as an individual.
Pros
I learned how to operate many large equipment/machines.
Cons
I did not like the change in company within the housekeeping department
Great co-workers
Staffing Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Kennett Square, PAMarch 19, 2016
Lack of communication from upper management. Worked with great co-workers and staff. Lots of turnover within the company.
Pros
Flexible work schedule
Cons
Low pay and high benefits

2.9