Genesis HealthCare Employee Reviews in United States

Found 1,353 reviews matching the search
Healthcare at it's finest.
HR Designee (Current Employee) –  Folkston, GANovember 11, 2015
I have enjoyed my job with Genesis HealthCare. It has been a pleasant place to work. I have enjoyed learning and growing with the company. A typical day at work for me would consist of paying company bills, balance checking accounts, managing facility petty cash, conducting employee interviews, facilitating orientation, reviewing scheduling and staffing, correcting time punches, completing payroll reports, and assisting staff with any human resources needs. I have learned the majority of my human resources knowledge with this company, My supervisors are very knowledgeable, helpful, and are very communicative. My co-workers have also been wonderful - we work well as a team. The hardest part of my job is getting attached to the residents that reside at this nursing facility; some pass, some get very ill. Everyday there is a different challenge, and I like to stay on my toes.
Pros
Close to home, close net group, family oriented, fun place to work.
Cons
Compensation and benefits.
Employees are bullied
Heathcare provider (Former Employee) –  Missoula, MTOctober 22, 2015
Rocky Mountain Hospice (pre-Genesis) is the only place of employment where I've ever experienced (and witnessed) bullying and intimidation by middle and executive management, write-ups for spending too much time with terminally ill patients and their families, and a staff attrition rate that was through the roof. This hospice company made consistently and astoundingly poor hiring/business choices from afar, which our local hospice team was left to account for and mop up.
When healthcare employees receive respect, consideration, compassion, and adequate compensation for their hard work, especially while taking care of terminally ill and dying patients, companies naturally grow by reputation and word of mouth - not the other way around. Unfortunately, RMH seems to have sold its soul to the almighty dollar, which is the antithesis to quality hospice care.
Pros
caring co-workers and teammates, commitment to patients/families
Cons
bullying-style of management, high attrition rate, inadequate compensation
I loved it, except management
Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA) (Former Employee) –  Colorado Springs, COSeptember 24, 2015
I absolutely loved my job at Gensis except for the management. When I first started out everyone told me how horrible it was; but I did not believe them and I wish I would have. I learned how to be a better CNA, take care of my patients and deal with different types of people. The joy that I saw on my residents faces whenever something was accomplished is what made my job worth while. It never mattered about how long of hours I worked, as long as their goals got accomplished. I enjoyed taking care of them very much especially because of how thankful they were. When I worked with the residents who were not all there, they were quite a challenge but they were still very fun. You interact with multiple personalities, learn different routines they have and how to take care of people from different cultures. Not a day went by that I did not learn something new. This career path is definitely for someone who wants to go to work and not know what to expect.
Pros
Residents, pay, benefits
Cons
flexible schedule, organized, good benefits
Assistant Director of Nursing (Former Employee) –  McAllen, TXFebruary 23, 2016
great environment to work, team work, company with great benefits, positive environment one of my most enjoyable pat of the job was to be able to make a great day for the patients.
Pros
great environment
Cons
24-7 on call
enjoyed working with the elderly, and most co-workers, enjoyed my job
Housekeeper/Laundry (Former Employee) –  Logan, WVNovember 2, 2015
always enjoyed my job for the most part until the dept. got a new supervisor. When she decided she didn't like you she made it a miserable place to work and when u talked to the higher up management it still never got better, no matter how good you did your job. Always got along good with all co-workers, enjoyed the residents.
Pros
good benefits, vacations
Cons
no job security, favoritism, unfareness
Terrible company
Rehab Technician (Former Employee) –  Madison, WISeptember 11, 2015
This company is awful. Management was micro managing, work spaces were cramped and crowded, no team atmosphere, the salary was lousy. I could deal with all of the previous points but I did not agree with the fact that they designated a patient quota to their therapists. Employees would be reprimanded if they did not fill their patient quota for the month. So in order to fill that quota therapists would pick patients that didn't necessarily need treatment but they had to fill a patient quota for that month. I believed the practice to be unethical. The worst thing is they were putting families in financial distress.
Pros
Cons
poor management, poor job culture, stressful environment, inadequate pay, awful facilies
Horrible company to work for
Speech language pathologist (Former Employee) –  PennsylvaniaSeptember 8, 2015
Worst company to work for! The company only cares about meeting productivity with unrealistic treatment minutes:RUG levels that you are required to meet or threatened to come in on the weekend to get the rest of the minutes missed.

Management will tell you what you want to hear and then turn around and do the complete opposite. Management writes up employees for no reason and upholds you to new policies that you have never received notice about.

Required to be 87% productive every day otherwise you must leave early or get written up for unproductive time.

Not allowed to use vacation/sick time as needed, every request is denied or a write up for calling in sick without a doctors note.

Low pay, with no raises. Threats to cut hours. No job security due to ending contracts, and no placement opportunities.

Once you start questioning management about their policies they find any way they can to write you up.
Cons
Management, RUG levels, productivity
nutrition and care
Dietary Aide (Current Employee) –  Frankfort, KYDecember 11, 2015
It has been a good place to work like most places it has its quirks. The people are great. The pay and benefits could be better. Work in a nursing home. The management could be better.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
no benefits; minimum pay; no advancement
Not a good place to work
Care Manager (Current Employee) –  Moorestown, NJJanuary 14, 2016
patient to nurse ratio is 1:16 normal subacute rehab is 1:10.
pay is very low
benefits are horrible
management doesn't assist on the floor
Not worth the pay
nurse (Former Employee) –  Waldorf, MDJanuary 4, 2016
Poor management skills from department heads, not very organized, low benefits. It amazes me how they can expect so much from one person and yet fail to compensate for all your hard work.
process payroll
Payroll Processing Analyst (Current Employee) –  Kennett Square, PAJanuary 26, 2016
constantly busy, no down time, always something to do. fast pass working envernment with not the best benefits. not that great of a company looking out for their employee.
Not a good place to work
Unknown (Former Employee) –  Hadley, MAJanuary 12, 2016
Management is not fair to all employees. Genesis keeps taking away employee benefits. Not fair pay for work performed.

Unethical practices
productive
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hatboro, PAFebruary 1, 2016
I enjoyed working there I had great pts and upper staff it was hard at times but I enjoyed taking care of others that were in need
Pros
great benefits
always something
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Zanesville, OHSeptember 6, 2015
worked there for a yr. never received my 90 day raise. they always had an excuse for them not too give you a raise. failed to tell me when mandatory meetings were, and had wrote me up as call offs on those days therefore refused to give me any raises and a bad record. instead of employers informing nursing staff what it was that they were supposed to do, we (employees) have to tell them ourselves. which has created a very explosive, stressful, hateful work place.
Pros
free food, working independently at times.
Cons
you will not get a raise, they will take other depts words over yours if you are told on.
Poor management
Therapist (Current Employee) –  FloridaDecember 16, 2015
They have poor management with consistent low moral. The companies compensation with PTO and wages is not competitive with other rehabilitation companies.
great place to work
Help Desk Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMDecember 22, 2015
This company has a fun environment in which to work. Very friendly and has lots of fun activities to raise funds for various needs.
Steady work with good security and benefits
Occupational Therapist (Current Employee) –  Bedford, NHNovember 7, 2015
Overall my time with Genesis has been productive. The company provides many opportunities for self driven growth as a clinician including education, mentor-ship, experience, and enthusiastic peers who support your needs as an ethical clinician. I have begun investing in a 401K and have taken advantage of ample PTO. I have met some wonderful peers while working with this company and developed some deep friendships.

As far as work culture has gone, corporate culture has been dizzying. Quarterly calls from corporate constantly remind us that we are appreciated for our hard work but we are still losing money and need to work harder. The culture is depressing and disheartening.

Program managers give mixed messages as to how to navigate systems within the company making advancement challenging. In my time interacting with managers and clinical specialists I hear wonderful things about advancing in corporate however, I see no support for peers who have been seeking advancement in corporate. Again disheartening.

I love being an Occupational Therapist. I love my challenging case loads and complex practice settings. Genesis is a good company for early experience to the new clinician. It is not as rewarding for a more experienced clinician.
Pros
free CEU education, ample PTO, 401K, affordable healthcare access for individual, job security
Cons
low wages, poor potential for advancement in company, corporate culture
Applicants beware
LPN (Former Employee) –  Sandpiper, Wichita ksOctober 9, 2015
There is always a big turnover in staff and you will often work short handed. The CNA's are consistently insubordinate and the ADON will back them. The ADON is very unprofessional and bias.Try to take care of 25 residents without any support and your ADON yelling at you in the hallways in front of your colleagues. This was the most stressful work environment ever.The best part of my job was taking care of my residents.
Pros
Residents, company benefits
Cons
ADON
High turnover rate of managers. Busy work day.
Physical Therapist (Current Employee) –  Phillipsburg, NJSeptember 12, 2015
Co-workers great and strong teamwork. High turnover rate of managers and overall poor leadership. Compensation low with no raises in 5 years and cut in hours. Terrible medical benefit coverage with high co-pays and family deductible.
Pros
Great co-workers with strong work ethic and team approach
Cons
Poor management and no raises and poor healthcare benefits
This job was not what it was promised to be.
Evening Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Teays Valley, WVSeptember 26, 2015
I was promised a job that was 8 am to 430 pm. RARELY happened I was usually stuck until 8 every night. I was salary and was NEVER given time off to compensate me for the difference. I would not recommend this job to anyone. Management was absolutely horrible. The staff was amazing but like me they always got screwed over.

2.9