Genesis HealthCare Employee Reviews

Found 1,437 reviews matching the search
Descent starter job
Housekeeper (Former Employee) –  Payette, IDSeptember 15, 2016
When I first started there it was good I have a good boss my hours and we good and I felt the work load was fair. But after a year a new company too over the housekeeping department and that's when everything went down hill the new guy changed the schedule and the work load became too much for all of the housekeepers. that's when a lot of us got let go. I am honestly glad to not work there any more the last year there was awful!! I honestly think that nursing home needs to be shut down.
Job was great to begin with. Responsibilities quadrupled, pay never changed. Not good environment for parents.
Quality Assurance Manager Eastern Division (Former Employee) –  Charleston, WVJanuary 18, 2017
Employees are degraded for having children and putting family first. Raises are rare and work load constantly increases. You are forced to attend training and penalized for being unavailable.
Very energized enviornment with residents with fun personalities
Dietary Aide (Current Employee) –  Bethlehem, PAOctober 14, 2016
Its very fast pased and you have to be able to keep up in a timely manner. Different shifts require different job duties so I have experience in various things working in food and nutrition. Overall its not a bad place to work and the residents really will brighten your day.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Money accommodations
horrible place to work , over worked and under staffed constantly
Licensed Practical Nurse (Former Employee) –  Willow Grove, PASeptember 21, 2016
This place is not a good place to work, CNA's are understaffed and over worked. Some CNA's only listen to the charge nurses that they like. Nurses are over worked, you can never leave work on time. They give you too much work to be completed in 8 hours. Nurses never take breaks, you can forget it. If you take a lunch break, you would never leave. Management is not supportive of you. Residents make the job some what enjoyable and you will learn a lot. Genesis overall is a very stressful company to work for.
Pros
residents and some co workers
Cons
no breaks even though we have to say we received a break, Cna's understaffed and insubordinate, no support from management, They over work all nursing staff, low pay in comparison to other nursing facilities.
Company that doesn't care
SLP (Former Employee) –  MichiganSeptember 7, 2016
Worked for this company for many years. Had one horrible manager after another... Even the district managers are pathetically incompetent. Management caught falsifying paperwork or lying about employees were transferred instead of let go. Employees caught committing Medicare fraud were also transferred or just given a slap on the wrist instead of being let go. Annual reviews were often falsified or scored unreasonably low in order to not award raises. Almost every year the company announced a pay increase freeze. This company does not care about its employees.... Extremely unreasonable productivity standards that are only achieved through fraudulent activities.
Pros
Not many
Cons
Too many
Run
GNA (Former Employee) –  Long green, Baltimore, MDSeptember 6, 2016
This was my first job as a GNA and it was horrible, when you go for an interview all smiles as soon as you sign the papers and start mean look attitude from EVERYONE from the receptionist down to the residents. Everyone want you to kiss their behind and if you don't want to do it little lies start popping up about you even if you have a witness and paperwork to prove you are in the right you still get in trouble, there is a unit manager by the name of Kimi a african lady she talks to you like you are her child, gets very aggressive with you and don't give you a chance to talk. The DON looks like she do not know what she is doing and even said all she care about is the residents not the workers.
Pros
Not one thing
Cons
The management and some of the workers
2 1/2 years and no advancement or further education benefits
IS Analyst (Former Employee) –  Kennett Square, PAJanuary 17, 2017
Genesis is a place that is ok for people that are just starting out in IT. They do have unrealistic requirements for the call center. I got in because I knew and impressed someone. The call center "requires a bachelors degree... really? You need a degree to answer a phone and walk the customer through the troubleshooting steps?

This is not a typical IT environment. 99% of the tickets will be for users at the care facilities across America, so just about everything is packed and shipped out. This is almost a kinda like a IT warehouse/ pack and ship place.

Advancement? Don't get your hopes up. I expressed interest in several other positions that would get me out from under my current passive/aggressive manager. They will not provide in house training to bring their employees up through the ranks.
Pros
Good lunch places within walking distance
Cons
Stagnant work environment.
Great company to work for.
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Seaford, DENovember 14, 2016
Love the staff, Residents, and Management. Residential care is thorough, and not half way done. Very clean, and on point with the residents ADL's. The employees really care about their residents almost as if they were family, and thats how I feel they should be taken care of.
Pros
Good Hours
Cons
None.
Fellow Co-workers and Patients are great
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Silver Spring, MDAugust 31, 2016
The company is great in the beginning but if you are looking to further expand in the company that is hard for they are more willing to bring in an outsider than to move internally. Once you build a relationship with the staff and patients, its like a family setting. Some management can be harsh but I haven't experienced that much in my 9 years.
Pros
good family setting (if thats what your looking for)
Cons
no room for growth in company
The Patients were awesome
Dietary (Former Employee) –  Ridgewood, NJSeptember 5, 2016
I really enjoyed working here. I love the patients and the food especially. Things started getting sour once my manager got fired and we were lacking in a lot of areas, Food, Equipments not to mention staff. It ended being only a few of us working and the work load began overbearing so I decided to leave. Other than that it was fun and I enjoyed working with younger staff
Pros
Free Lunches, the staff are awesome
Cons
cheap
good experience
RN Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Torrance, CAJanuary 13, 2017
it is a great places to gain some nursing experience. As a RN, you do pretty much a little of everything, including med pass, dressing changes, admissions, and discharges.
Pros
many iv starts, iv med administration
Cons
staffing is not good, could never call out sick (when i was really sick) because there a very few RNs.
Company with goals
Human Resources Manager (Former Employee) –  Quakertown, PAAugust 30, 2016
Overall, the facility in Quakertown was a great place to work with a family like atmosphere and comfortable work environment. The facility cared abut employees and did the best that they could do within the bounds of Genesis. Genesis is too focused on financials and needs to accept people for people and that is the business that we're in, to take care of people.
Pros
Great co-workers and environment
Cons
Low wage scale and poor benefits
Dissatisfied
LPN Charge Nurse (Former Employee) –  Muscle Shoals, ALSeptember 3, 2016
What I thought was going to be a great company turned out to be a nightmare! Very poorly managed, unfair treatment, company! Would not recommend to anyone! Supervisory Staff very hateful to you! Co-workers allowed to treat you however with no repercussions! Management played favorites! Way too much paperwork, too many patients, schedule was just way too long! You were very over - worked, & under payed!
Pros
Not any
rewarding environment
Housekeeping department (Current Employee) –  Cedar Grove, NJSeptember 1, 2016
The years that I worked for Genesis I worked in the housekeeping department where I was afforded the opportunity to meet many wonderful co-workers and managers. They helped mold me into the individual I am today, through motivating me to be the best I can be. With words of encouragement and motivation to pursue my dreams and now accomplishing them. I enjoyed my time there, however as with any success comes change and now it is time for me to move on and advance myself in the healthcare field. I look forward to learning even more from my new found career and hope that I can continue to grow as an individual.
Pros
I learned how to operate many large equipment/machines.
Cons
I did not like the change in company within the housekeeping department
Enjoyed working for Genesis/Great Boss--Jessica O'conner
RRT (Former Employee) –  West Palm Beach, FLAugust 25, 2016
It was a pleasure to work for a Genesis at different rehab/subacute facilities. It was a great experience to help patients weaned off life support safely and go home. Also, it was a pleasure to work with speech therapy as well as physical therapy, the nurses, and physicians in helping the patients get better and go home.
Pros
Great boss! Jessica O'connor/ Great Severance package
Cons
Laid-off/ went from full time to PRN
Ok place to work
Maintenance Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Klondike center louisville kyNovember 7, 2016
Overall an ok place to work other than the benefits could be way better , it's almost cheaper to take the finest than to rather buy the insurance that's offered. The raise is a choke a big 1 percent and 401k matching yea what is that .
Pros
Friendly and professional environment
Cons
Really no room for growth
Great co-workers, Terrible management
Certified Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  Salisbury, NCDecember 30, 2016
I am a CNA working the skilled units. Genesis has high acuity patients. Patients are all mixed in together 30yr-100yr. Alzheimer patients, rehab and self care on the same halls. The census is often low so they may cut staff for the day. There is a whole hall that has been empty for over a year.
Teamwork at this facility can be excellent. There are alot of people at this facility that want to do good work and care about their patients. The patient load is very reasonable but the pay is terrible for experienced staff. Nurse and CNAs. Supplies are often low. The management team has taken an excellent facility and turned it into a place with a high turnover for both staff and residents because they care more about money then patient care, or respecting the staff that works hard to care for their patients with little support.
Pros
Co-workers, teamwork
Cons
Bad managment, low pay for experience, high turnover
Great place to work. Great staff.
Recreation Director (Current Employee) –  Ravenswood, WVSeptember 14, 2016
My work hours are good. My Administrator is open to suggestions. I was able to advance within my position. The staff work together as a team for the good of the resident. The hardest part is the passing of long term residents. The most enjoyable part is making a difference in the residents day to day life. Providing means for quality of life.
Do not take care about employees
PTA (Current Employee) –  Washington StateAugust 16, 2016
I loved working for this company when I first started. They have great educational programs and clinical support. But the push lately has been to micromanage employees and meet the bottom line. It is difficult to get vacation time and the benefits are expensive. Our manager is awesome but she works all of the time in order to compete all duties and treat patients. There is very little staff to help out when people call out sick. A lot of people are quitting.
Pros
Good clinical support and education
Cons
No focus on retaining employees or employee needs
unappreciated
CNA - Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Avondale, AZDecember 12, 2016
This place is so understaffed that employees are working over time in order to care for the residents. Horrible place to work they have no appreciation for their employees. They could care less about you they are all about money.
Pros
Cons
short staffed unapprecitive

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Genesis HealthCare. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9