GENEX Employee Reviews in United States

Hostile Work Environment
Medical Bill Examiner (Former Employee) –  North Syracuse, NY 13212July 8, 2016
Horrible Horrible place to work. Had a co-worker who was supposed to share my job with me but I ended up doing all the work because she was either on her cellphone or desk phone all day and sometimes both at the same time
Cons
Terrible place to work for.
Nurse (Former Employee) –  CAMay 25, 2016
High turn over rate; Job security is not good; Management need more training - run business like the 3rd world Communist country.
Pros
Cons
Healthcare; Mangement needs more training; Terrible place to work: over work and under paid
Great place to work.
Documnet Coordinator/Biller/ Adminstrative Support (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCMay 23, 2016
Like working with the Case managers, Learned about workers comp case management. a few of my co-workers are great and enjoy working with them, The hardest part of the job is seeing the favoritism to one employee.
Pros
Lunches bought at end of month
Cons
favortizm
Excellent Company
Registered Nurse, Medical Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Fairfax, VAApril 10, 2016
Excellent company to work for for personal growth. Must be able to set your own schedule and be self disciplined. Upper management is always willing to help.
No leadership, team or opportunities.
Nurse Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHMarch 15, 2016
Three days into my orientation, I was given a 30 claim case load. A week into my training, a full caseload which included claims for which my supervisor had done nothing for a year on. I truly loved my co-workers. They're great and hard--working. However, that's not enough when they don't say anything about the work environment and awful leadership. Our supervisor was an embarrassment. She constantly made mistakes and was wrong to the point that it made our job unbearable. Her mistakes and the fact she was literally unable to do her job correctly, made our job incredibly hard to do. Our entire team went to our manager with our concerns, legitimate concerns, with concrete evidence. We were told that something would be done. For a year, we were told to hold on, something would be done. She understood, she saw what was going on and yet.... nothing was done. She's still there and truly good people that knew what they were doing and worked hard have left because of it.

People are managed by intimidation and fear at this company. It's a bully atmosphere. You can't even ask for office supplies without getting growled at. It's so very sad because the people that are the work horses know that if the upper management/supervisors didn't do that, it would be amazing. The actual job isn't hard. People work hard. They're good at what they do. However, the unhappiness and sadness and fear they have because of the incompetence of management? That's ridiculous.
At this branch, we aren't able to work from home. The branch manager was apparently burned once and
  more... won't allow it. Some of the nurses work occasionally from home but... there's no reason our job couldn't be solely a work from home position. It probably wouldn't be as bad if it were. The politics of management would be farther away. I had an amazing review last year and got a 1% raise. However, the company that owns Genex then bought two new companies... It's just not a positive place. The employees obviously aren't appreciated. No one's ever said to me, "Hey. Thank you for doing a good job' other than the employer and employees I work the claims for. MY employer doesn't. The benefits aren't that great... Good luck here.  less
Pros
You can pay to wear jeans into work. Some co-workers are nice. The job's not hard.
Cons
Management rules by fear, Bullying atmosphere. No raises. No opportunities for advancement.
Very flexible schedule, I worked from home.
Medical Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Racine WIMarch 3, 2016
My manager was very helpful always available by phone or e-mail. Company provided all of the equipment to perform the job from home. Excellent benefits.
Pros
Manager and office staff very accessible and helpful.
Cons
Driving to appointments sometimes a challenge.
Move on, if you need work/life ballance
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  CTMarch 3, 2016
You are assigned visits as far away from home to maximize cost to client.
Managers are not clinical and are only interested in ridiculous wordy reports, where you repeat yourself until you are sick!!!
You are encouraged to maximize billing in every area, travel, traffic delays, office delays, wait time, you name it....
End of month is crazy, you are paid 40 hours/week, which is a 4 week month is 160hours!
No rocket science there.... however you are expected to bill the client.... depending on time with the company... 300-400hrs per month!!!!

No need to expand on other issues are there are many and can you really trust these sites are confidential????
Pros
You work from home
Cons
You have to complete reports same day, so no family life!!!
Productive environment
Medical Billing Specialist (Former Employee) –  Wayne, PAJanuary 15, 2016
My typical day was training employees on updated material, quality checked workflow and processed claims. Pretty good management team and coworkers.
Pros
Good environment
not a fun place to work
medical review (Former Employee) –  FloridaJanuary 12, 2016
It is ok for someone who does not want to be on the phone with customers, independent, and always meet quotas on a daily basis.
Every day is different, with 8-12 hr days
Field Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXNovember 18, 2015
Long work days, Learn how to coordinate care, communication, resolving issues, with providers, and patients.
Enjoy being in the field, and helping patients.
Pros
Work in the field and not in office
Cons
salary position with 8-12 hour days
Not good balance of work/home
Medical Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Troy, MINovember 8, 2015
Compensation package is not bad. Everyone is definitely micromanaged. There is no balance between work and home. You are expected to be on the road all day and on the computer reporting in the evening. There is not much time for home life.
Pros
Good wages, benefits
Cons
No balance between work and home
Adminisitrative Assistant
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Schaumburg, ILOctober 22, 2015
I work with 3 other administrative assistants and they have trained me, taught me PC skills when necessary. I work for 22 case managers and I do their reports, letters, and invoicing from our clients. In between that projects from my branch manager, assistant branch manager and office manager come up and I help out with that either independently or with my co-workers.
Pros
3 home days a month
Cons
GENEX is looking a little shaky and I'm afraid of losing my job.
No Work Life Balance/Work alot of overtime without pay
MEDICAL CASE MANAGER-REGISTERED NURSE (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOOctober 20, 2015
GENEX Services is company that anyone searching for a medical case management career should avoid. To understand their focus you need to know their history. GENEX was formed by buying-out smaller, regional independent case management companies. Small businesses that focused on the skills of nurse and vocational professional experts and not the billable hours that GENEX is so determined to be their driving force. All of these smaller companies were formed by nurses and vocational experts that built their businesses on their reputations for their abilities to provide the best case management services in their respected areas of practice. The senior management has been at the helm for 20+ years and is not at all concerned with the case manager’s day-to-day work. GENEX Services’ sole focus is billable hours and revenue generated by each case manager. There is no registered nurse or vocational senior manager, only business and marketing executives without a true knowledge of what a case manager does and experiences on a daily basis.

Billable hours is how the company tracks the case manager’s productivity which within itself is not a horrible thing. However, there is a huge amount of work-time that the case manager performs that is not allowed to be billed, i.e. Care Plans, reading medical records/file review, account guidelines, discussing the case with the customer and many more. A disconnect between the actual work day and quotas. The case manager gets paid a salary and can bonus but this is nearly impossible and if you are lucky enough to reach the bonus threshold,
  more... the bonus does not make up for the time and effort the case manager spends to reach this goal. If you chose to work for GENEX Services, plan on working a minimum of 12 hours per day and weekends just to meet management’s daily/monthly billing quota.

The GENEX Marketing team will sell case management services to the large insurance companies agreeing to multiple stipulations and restrictions on the case manager that result in case manager performing ALOT of work that is never accounted for in their daily/monthly productivity. Your GENEX manager might tell you that you’ll need to “be creative” with your billing which translates into you inflating your billable hours to account for your “not allowed” billable time. This too seems easy enough but when you review your customer guidelines you’ll find that the customer, especially the larger insurance companies, have strict maximum billable time allowed.

You might think you can voice your concerns with your manager but you’ll be wrong. Branch Managers are just the mouth piece of upper management. They receive their bonus based on your productivity and so up the ladder it goes. The Branch Managers are replaced just as quickly as the case managers if they are not making the goals set by the executives. Remember the sales team write checks that the case managers can’t cash but the senior management endorses.

On top of all of the political BS, GENEX Services’ computer system is out-dated by at least 15 years. Working from home seems like a great working arrangement until you can’t log-in or your computer keeps booting you out of the GENEX main server. More down time that you can not account for towards your productivity. Plan on working late nights just to keep up with the computer system. Also the reporting system is far from being efficient. You’ll spend a lot of non-billable time duplicating your reporting in order to meet the URAC and customer guidelines/standards, also not counted towards your productivity. The template letters are outdated and full of errors so plan on spending many non-billable hours reformatting and writing your own letters. Management has no interest in correcting the problems. Then there is also the 150+ billing codes that you need to know when and where to use not to mention the numerous other codes from the individual insurance companies that they require you to use. The customer guidelines are forever changing and some of them are quite expansive, 100+ pages, all non-billable time.

If you chose to work for GENEX Services, go into this position with eyes wide open. Expect to be frustrated, have no family life and most of all, whatever GENEX offers you as a salary, double it because it still will not be enough to compensate you for everything that you will sacrifice and all of the work you perform.
Pros
work from home
Cons
work from home all hours and days of the week to meet job demands
Work day
RN UR/TCM (Current Employee) –  Wayne PASeptember 24, 2015
I am working from home as utilization review nurse and telephonic case management nurse. This is how I as able to go to school full time evenings to continue my education. Calling on providers offices for medical information to review request such as MRI to follow state guidelines. Since my RN license is in a compact state I am able to working the different states that also have compact licensing. I work closely with the adjuster for the different insurance companies who we are contracted with to determine if claimants need a field case nurse or telephonic case nurse. Communication with the employer, employee and provider to help the injured worker return to work as soon as possible in some work capacity. Most of my work day is on the phone and reviewing state regulation but at the same time I have developed a relationship with the different adjuster and medical staff at the providers office.
Pros
Flexiable schedule hours, work in pj's
Cons
No face to face interaction with coworkser; lonleness at time
Overload of case files
Nurse Case Manager (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CASeptember 9, 2015
A typical day with Genex consists of driving 6 hours or more per day, then staying up until midnight charting and writing reports - 5 days of driving and charting, nights and weekends writing reports! - I learned a lot about case management and customer service. I learned that I am valuable and that I am not a robot. No one can handle working 350 hours per month and losing life balance. The management is completely lacking and their judgment is not beneficial or efficient for the company. There is a very high turnover - over 65 nurses have left in less than a year from our region alone, and multiple lawsuits pending. The co-workers are lovely. They are the only thing worth staying for. The hardest part of the job is the complete lack of support from management and the lack of training. You are basically set up for failure. The most enjoyable part of the job, other than the incredible nurses to work with, is the excellent caliber of doctors and gracious patients.
Pros
incentive pay if over 176 hours per month
Cons
incentive pay works out to minimum wage take home earnings; horrible management
Ok
Quality Assurance Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Islandia, NYAugust 25, 2015
It is an ok place to work, nothing to special and it has decent health benefits that are a good thing to have in the world today.
Case Management duties
case manager (Former Employee) –  Orange, CAAugust 9, 2015
First thing in the morning I check messages and make calls, check and reply to emails. I then review my visit schedule for the day and confirm doctor visits, also remind IW of doctor visit. I attend doctor visits, make recommendations to the care plan and discuss MMI. Following my visits I do activity reports and write letters. I email CEs with updated information from the day's visits.

I like a manager who is knowledgeable and a good resource person.

I work as a team, helping cover visits. I brainstorm with coworkers about cases.

The hardest part of the job is finding a way to work with noncompliant IWs.

The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing an IW return to work.
I also enjoy the autonomy the job affords.
Pros
staff meeting monthly to stay updated
Cons
conflicting visits with no available coverage
Good Buisness
Administrative Assistant/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, ALAugust 6, 2015
People are great and the job keeps you busy daily. My job had a lot of codes and guidelines that changed often. I enjoyed the job a and will miss it.
Medical Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCAugust 1, 2015
The most enjoyable part of this job is meeting new people. The co-workers and supervisor are awesome to work with. It's great to see the injured worker making progress towards goals.
Pros
Able to set schedule.
Cons
Driving your own vehicle
Lame
Field Medical Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Wimington, NCJuly 25, 2015
Horrible company to work for! Was bought out by Genex from a smaller case management company that was wonderful and treated their employees with respect and dignity - something Genex knows nothing about! Little training on complicated system, no help from management , very deceitful billing practices & flat out lies to employees about what expectations really are...I came with a very experienced case management background when the buy occurred yet I was laid off due to "no available work"!

2.8