Gentiva Health Services

Gentiva Health Services Employee Reviews

Great workplace with collaborative atmosphere.
Care Team Coordinator (Former Employee), Seattle, WAJuly 27, 2015
Great management staff. My coworkers were experts in their field who were willing to share knowledge with those working with them.
I enjoyed the challenge
Records Coordinator (Former Employee), Lawrenceville, GAJuly 17, 2015
Uploading information to patient charts
Answering the phones.
Calling doctor office to obtain signed documents
Through HIPPA released information to Attorneys
Co-workers great to work with
Hardest part was getting signed documents back from doctor office
The most enjoyable was closing out a patient chart marking complete
Always a pleasant work day.
Administrative Volunteer (Former Employee), Pleasanton, CAJuly 15, 2015
When volunteering here, I was always told how much I was appreciated. I was always treated with respect and kindness, which is why I kept my administrative volunteer position for two years.
PCA Personal Care Assistant (Former Employee), Hugo, OKJuly 15, 2015
I enjoyed working for Gentiva. The office people treated you fairly and respected the providers. The staff cared for its clients. My mom was a client of theirs before she passed. I met the provider that cared for her while I was working and she did an excellent job. My mom never had any complaints with her. I would go back to work for this company if I had the opportunity. The best part is taking care of the elderly and disabled. It is nice to walk into a house and see their smiling faces when you appear.
Mismanagement Runs Rampant.
Medical Records Coordinator (Former Employee), Petersburg, VaJuly 14, 2015
Pros: The job itself was fun and easy.
Cons: Horrible management, gossiping, lies, threats, bullying, emotional manipulation and mismanagement galore.
The job itself would have been wonderful if it weren't for the mass of awful management running the place. There are too many people who think they run the place and no one takes real charge or has any clue what is going on from day to day. There is so much finger pointing and gossip that it makes work nearly impossible to accomplish. The management is also comprised of bullies and use threats and lies to get what they want out of you. I was directly asked at one point, what they had to do to get the work out of me. No one is properly trained, the turn over is so high that they start throwing people around to different positions with no training and no help. The Petersburg and Richmond offices are in shambles and regardless of how much "money" they make, the staff is miserable and the compassion is completely out the door. It is sickening to listen and hear the management at staff meetings pointing fingers at all the staff they have had issues with in the last month and then giving employee of the month to the person who they want to suck up to because they are going to abuse them in the coming months and unfortunately for them they are too stupid to realize it. To them a gift card makes up for all the abuse, I however, don't take that sort of mess from anyone. You treat me well all the time, give me proper training and help and then we can talk. If you abuse, threaten and belittle me, I will not perform to your liking. This job is hard enough as it is, knowing that the nurses and aids are helping people in the last moments of their lives as well as the families cope with the – more... death of a loved one, you would think that compassion would extend into the company as well. You would be 100% wrong, there is zero compassion for the employees and the only care is about the money. Which I feel could be greater if only they treated their staff properly. You treat your staff well, they are happier, they perform better, the company gets more positive feedback and more business is made. However, this is not how Gentiva, excuse me, the Richmond and petersburg offices chose to do business. They instead want to push and shove their employees to the breaking point and then when they are no longer any use to them cut them lose, regardless of how well they actually did their job. Disgusting and unbelievable place with heartless, cruel and useless management. DO NOT WORK FOR THIS COMPANY. I am telling you, not only do they try and mess with you emotionally they will fire you for no good reason and they pay you peanuts. Not to mention no one knows anything about anything there, it is always some one else's problem. Avoid a problem and find work somewhere else. I promise you won't regret passing on this opportunity. – less
I enjoy working with great RNs and patients.
Medical Social Worker (Current Employee), Pleasanton, CAJuly 14, 2015
I like the independence of the job and freedom to create our own schedules as Medical Social Workers. A great place to really enhance your medical knowledge around death and dying.
Great place to volunteer to learn office skills.
Administrative Volunteer (Current Employee), Mobile, ALJuly 14, 2015
Pros: They provide lunch at times.
Cons: No pay and benefits
Productive work place with supportive management.
The more skills you learn through volunteering the more you personally grow and develop. I enjoy meeting new people everyday and I am eager to learn more to become more productive.
Patient Care Secretary
Patient Care Secretary (Former Employee), Lake Oswego, ORJuly 9, 2015
Seeking a facility that values good communication and people skills to transfer my expertise and motivation I have
gained to help further my skills and education
Patient care secretary who continually maintains a positive attitude while interacting with demanding clients.
Serves as the primary point of contact for both in-house and external phone and website queries, and who goes
above and beyond basic administrative tasks and takes on multiple projects at once. Excellent work ethic and
strength in boosting company morale.
Basic Life Support for Healthcare Providers, Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, Microsoft PowerPoint, Corel
WordPerfect, Internet research Certified Nursing Assistant. Proven ability to maintain a safe environment for
patients and staff. American Medical Technologist member (AMT)
political environment with a dedication to home health services
HIPAA Training Specialist (Contract) (Former Employee), Kansas City, MOJuly 8, 2015
Pros: team members
Cons: compensation
Lots of politics and unfair practices with the corporation. Offers lots of great services for patients. Lots of members let go for innocuous reasons,
Productive, rewarding
Home Health Nurse (Current Employee), Ormond Beach ,FlJuly 6, 2015
Pros: flexible hours
Cons: non at the moment
A typical day of work would be going to see patients in their homes after they have been discharged from either the hospital or a rehabilitation facility. I have gotten to see another side of nursing aside from working in the hospital setting. Now I am able to see the patients at home. My managers are easy going and friendly. The hardest part of my job is seeing patients who are not able to take care of themselves, who are struggling financially to pay for health care, home living expenses. The most enjoyable part of my job is being able to teach the patient how to take care of themselves, medically.
Hospice
Office Volunteer (Former Employee), San Bernardino, CAJuly 1, 2015
Working in a Hospice environment was very interesting. Putting together the medical and EOB packets for the nurses to take to the patients home. It was sad to hear that a patient has passed away, that would be the only down fall
Supportive Staff
Occupational Therapist (Current Employee), WaJune 26, 2015
Focus on providing excellent patient care .
Fosters collaboration between team members.
Supportive management.
Focus on improving patient outcomes by providing tools for success
(CTC)/Scheduler (Current Employee), kansas city , MOJune 24, 2015
Pros: amazing clinical staff
Cons: does not match 401k any more
I used to love working for Gentiva. Recently, they were bought out by Kindred and so many things have changed. They do not take care of their employees and never will again. This is why I am looking for employment elsewhere. I really thought I could be happy here.
My office used to be very relaxed, all the employees got along and had fun together. We always got our work done in the office and would find time to take care of our wonderful clinicians by celebrating them often. This has not happened in at least a year. It used to be monthly. It is a fairly easy job to be in the office. Its so nice getting to work with many different individuals. The hardest part was doing everything alone in the office while your management was never in the office.
productive and family environment to work.
Staff Nurse LPN (Former Employee), Gaffney, SCJune 23, 2015
Pros: benefits/working environment.
Cons: none:
I enjoy the working environment/excellent management/opportunity to work their.helpful of my co-workers and educational benefits.
Warm
Volunteer (Current Employee), Flint, MIJune 23, 2015
Love this place! Very welcoming and helpful with any questions. They always reassure me that there is no such thing as "stupid question".
My life was destroyed working for them
Personal Care Worker (Former Employee), Lawton, OKJune 21, 2015
Pros: met some wonderful people and families while working for them
Cons: zero respect or concern for their employees or their safety & well-being
9 years and 1 day ago, I went to work as I had for months. My first client of the day was difficult to transfer and we were waiting for the delivery of the doctor-ordered hoyer lift. During yet another difficult transfer, I was injured. The client was safe, but it was at the cost of my body.

From the moment I called and told my supervisor I was hurt and needed to leave, I was treated with even less respect than I was already being given. When I was seen in the ER and put off work, I hand-delivered the form to the office - and was treated coldly. My life ended that day, in many ways.

My 9 year old child had to become MY caregiver, because there are STILL days that I cannot dress myself completely - he is now 18. In many ways, working for Gentiva destroyed his life too. He has to do most of the household jobs because I cannot. There are days he has to help me get out of bed - but I "don't qualify" for home health care because I am not receiving disability.

I was railroaded through the worker's compensation system, their insurance provider to date has not complied with the court order as to what they are to provide me, and even filing paperwork for a review has been fruitless because of the "big backlog".

Someone at the Lawton Gentiva office felt it necessary to start my claim for fmla without consulting me during the time I was off work and fighting their insurance provider to be able to see a surgeon. It took me NINE MONTHS before I saw a surgeon (and even then it had to be ordered by a judge and I had to prove WHY I needed to see them instead of just – more... a physical therapist), and as a result I have permanent nerve damage in my leg and foot because the nerve root was pinched for so long prior to surgery.

I cannot get Social Security Disability, because some brilliant person at Gentiva claims I worked for weeks after my injury, which negates my claim that the injury is as severe as it is. When asked on applications when my end date of employment was for Gentiva, I honestly have no idea. Is it the date I was injured? The date of the final court hearing? The last day of the FMLA? Tried to call the office and was hung up on.

I had money taken from my checks for shares in the company, but when I tried to call the number I had years ago to find out how to cash out, I was told that there was no record of my having ever been in the program - so where did my money go?

I was driving over 100 miles a day because of their scheduler's inability to keep me in one area of the very rural county. Not that there were not enough clients in my home area - they had other workers from 30mi away coming up to my home area to care for clients that I could have while I was going to their home area to work with other clients. Financially, the fuel cost was slowly draining what little I had saved up. When I asked to be kept closer to home, I was told I could not choose where I worked, I went where they scheduled me or could look for another job.

They paid "travel time" at $6/hr - NOT mileage. I saved all my time sheets and had them with for the final hearing for my Worker's Compensation case - even the lawyer representing them and their insurance company questioned how legal this was. Even the judge questioned the legality of the practice. It was because of this method of paying that I was underpaid for about 18 months - their insurance did not calculate travel time as wages, and it was.

There was (maybe still is) a fund that employees can donate to to help a fellow employee who is having a financial hardship. Due to the loss of my income (and the insurance company insisting they knew the proper amount for my weekly checks - which was off by almost $40 a week) my son and I became homeless and were living in my car because there were no openings at area shelters. I applied to the fund in hopes of getting a little help with deposit/first month rent on a 1 bedroom place I could make work out of the weekly checks and was informed that I "was not an employee". Really? I had been going to work for clients they contracted to care for, I had been paid by their company for my hours I spent caring for those clients, but I was not an employee?

My body has been through countless injections, therapies, surgery, procedures just to keep me functioning enough to make sure my son made it to adulthood - that had become my goal. My health is deteriorating due to the years of certain medications and procedures with no alternatives available. Slowly, Gentiva's negligence is killing me, and because of the Oklahoma Worker Compensation laws, I have no legal recourse other than keep filing review requests for my case. My biggest fear is that I won't live long enough and my son will have lost not only his childhood but his only parent as well. But why should Gentiva care? Their backs turned the moment I was no longer at their beck and call to be abused and sent hither and yon with sometimes only a few minutes' notice.

Where was Gentiva? Where were my supervisors? Using my case as an example of "wrong judgement" during their training sessions. I had multiple former co-workers inform me of this when they would run into me (usually in a hospital or picking up medication) According to my supervisor, I should have let the patient hit the floor.... and his wheelchair... and his recliner. How's that for caring home care?

Seriously, if you want to work for this company, do so cautiously and because there are no other options. What you are promised on hire is not what you get. Use your voice to protect yourself, because they will chew you up and spit you out if you don't - and won't give it a second thought. – less
It is a good place to work
Accounts Payable Associate (Current Employee), Overland Park, KSJune 21, 2015
Pros: PTO
Cons: The pressure to get things done faster than almost possible
This company has good benefits and PTO. It is a good place to work and the co workers are nice to work with and willing to help you.
Great place
Coordinator - Billing / Scheduling (Former Employee), Tallahassee, FLJune 19, 2015
Pros: Weekends
Cons: Long hours
Flexible and I learn leadership skills and work with great doctors and nurses. Patient was great and learn to be more open minded.
Good Work.
data entry, filing and record keeping (Former Employee), Rocky Mount, NCJune 17, 2015
These people did a lot of challenge work and made a lot of changes in the work process for the employees. It had a lot to learn and work with.
Great Place to work - Home Care Agency
CUSTOMER SUPPORT ASSOCIATE/FRONT DESK RECEPTIONIST (Former Employee), Farmington, CTJune 16, 2015
Pros: The job was diverse and enjoyable - was able to interact with many people
Cons: My job title was eliminated
Worked directly with internal and external staff - Home Healthcare Nurses as well as inhouse staff.

Learned all facets of home healthcare while working for GENTIVA HomeCare.

1 2 3 4 5

About Gentiva Health Services

Gentiva Health Services is a gentle giant. As one of the┬ánation's largest home health care and hospice services firms, the company – Read more

Gentiva Health Services Salaries