Gentiva Health Services

Gentiva Health Services Employee Reviews

Hospice
Office Volunteer (Former Employee), San Bernardino, CAJuly 1, 2015
Working in a Hospice environment was very interesting. Putting together the medical and EOB packets for the nurses to take to the patients home. It was sad to hear that a patient has passed away, that would be the only down fall
Supportive Staff
Occupational Therapist (Current Employee), WaJune 26, 2015
Focus on providing excellent patient care .
Fosters collaboration between team members.
Supportive management.
Focus on improving patient outcomes by providing tools for success
(CTC)/Scheduler (Current Employee), kansas city , MOJune 24, 2015
Pros: amazing clinical staff
Cons: does not match 401k any more
I used to love working for Gentiva. Recently, they were bought out by Kindred and so many things have changed. They do not take care of their employees and never will again. This is why I am looking for employment elsewhere. I really thought I could be happy here.
My office used to be very relaxed, all the employees got along and had fun together. We always got our work done in the office and would find time to take care of our wonderful clinicians by celebrating them often. This has not happened in at least a year. It used to be monthly. It is a fairly easy job to be in the office. Its so nice getting to work with many different individuals. The hardest part was doing everything alone in the office while your management was never in the office.
productive and family environment to work.
Staff Nurse LPN (Former Employee), Gaffney, SCJune 23, 2015
Pros: benefits/working environment.
Cons: none:
I enjoy the working environment/excellent management/opportunity to work their.helpful of my co-workers and educational benefits.
Warm
Volunteer (Current Employee), Flint, MIJune 23, 2015
Love this place! Very welcoming and helpful with any questions. They always reassure me that there is no such thing as "stupid question".
My life was destroyed working for them
Personal Care Worker (Former Employee), Lawton, OKJune 21, 2015
Pros: met some wonderful people and families while working for them
Cons: zero respect or concern for their employees or their safety & well-being
9 years and 1 day ago, I went to work as I had for months. My first client of the day was difficult to transfer and we were waiting for the delivery of the doctor-ordered hoyer lift. During yet another difficult transfer, I was injured. The client was safe, but it was at the cost of my body.

From the moment I called and told my supervisor I was hurt and needed to leave, I was treated with even less respect than I was already being given. When I was seen in the ER and put off work, I hand-delivered the form to the office - and was treated coldly. My life ended that day, in many ways.  – more...

My 9 year old child had to become MY caregiver, because there are STILL days that I cannot dress myself completely - he is now 18. In many ways, working for Gentiva destroyed his life too. He has to do most of the household jobs because I cannot. There are days he has to help me get out of bed - but I "don't qualify" for home health care because I am not receiving disability.

I was railroaded through the worker's compensation system, their insurance provider to date has not complied with the court order as to what they are to provide me, and even filing paperwork for a review has been fruitless because of the "big backlog".

Someone at the Lawton Gentiva office felt it necessary to start my claim for fmla without consulting me during the time I was off work and fighting their insurance provider to be able to see a surgeon. It took me NINE MONTHS before I saw a surgeon (and even then it had to be ordered by a judge and I had to prove WHY I needed to see them instead of just a physical therapist), and as a result I have permanent nerve damage in my leg and foot because the nerve root was pinched for so long prior to surgery.

I cannot get Social Security Disability, because some brilliant person at Gentiva claims I worked for weeks after my injury, which negates my claim that the injury is as severe as it is. When asked on applications when my end date of employment was for Gentiva, I honestly have no idea. Is it the date I was injured? The date of the final court hearing? The last day of the FMLA? Tried to call the office and was hung up on.

I had money taken from my checks for shares in the company, but when I tried to call the number I had years ago to find out how to cash out, I was told that there was no record of my having ever been in the program - so where did my money go?

I was driving over 100 miles a day because of their scheduler's inability to keep me in one area of the very rural county. Not that there were not enough clients in my home area - they had other workers from 30mi away coming up to my home area to care for clients that I could have while I was going to their home area to work with other clients. Financially, the fuel cost was slowly draining what little I had saved up. When I asked to be kept closer to home, I was told I could not choose where I worked, I went where they scheduled me or could look for another job.

They paid "travel time" at $6/hr - NOT mileage. I saved all my time sheets and had them with for the final hearing for my Worker's Compensation case - even the lawyer representing them and their insurance company questioned how legal this was. Even the judge questioned the legality of the practice. It was because of this method of paying that I was underpaid for about 18 months - their insurance did not calculate travel time as wages, and it was.

There was (maybe still is) a fund that employees can donate to to help a fellow employee who is having a financial hardship. Due to the loss of my income (and the insurance company insisting they knew the proper amount for my weekly checks - which was off by almost $40 a week) my son and I became homeless and were living in my car because there were no openings at area shelters. I applied to the fund in hopes of getting a little help with deposit/first month rent on a 1 bedroom place I could make work out of the weekly checks and was informed that I "was not an employee". Really? I had been going to work for clients they contracted to care for, I had been paid by their company for my hours I spent caring for those clients, but I was not an employee?

My body has been through countless injections, therapies, surgery, procedures just to keep me functioning enough to make sure my son made it to adulthood - that had become my goal. My health is deteriorating due to the years of certain medications and procedures with no alternatives available. Slowly, Gentiva's negligence is killing me, and because of the Oklahoma Worker Compensation laws, I have no legal recourse other than keep filing review requests for my case. My biggest fear is that I won't live long enough and my son will have lost not only his childhood but his only parent as well. But why should Gentiva care? Their backs turned the moment I was no longer at their beck and call to be abused and sent hither and yon with sometimes only a few minutes' notice.

Where was Gentiva? Where were my supervisors? Using my case as an example of "wrong judgement" during their training sessions. I had multiple former co-workers inform me of this when they would run into me (usually in a hospital or picking up medication) According to my supervisor, I should have let the patient hit the floor.... and his wheelchair... and his recliner. How's that for caring home care?

Seriously, if you want to work for this company, do so cautiously and because there are no other options. What you are promised on hire is not what you get. Use your voice to protect yourself, because they will chew you up and spit you out if you don't - and won't give it a second thought. – less
It is a good place to work
Accounts Payable Associate (Current Employee), Overland Park, KSJune 21, 2015
Pros: PTO
Cons: The pressure to get things done faster than almost possible
This company has good benefits and PTO. It is a good place to work and the co workers are nice to work with and willing to help you.
Great place
Coordinator - Billing / Scheduling (Former Employee), Tallahassee, FLJune 19, 2015
Pros: Weekends
Cons: Long hours
Flexible and I learn leadership skills and work with great doctors and nurses. Patient was great and learn to be more open minded.
Good Work.
data entry, filing and record keeping (Former Employee), Rocky Mount, NCJune 17, 2015
These people did a lot of challenge work and made a lot of changes in the work process for the employees. It had a lot to learn and work with.
Great Place to work - Home Care Agency
CUSTOMER SUPPORT ASSOCIATE/FRONT DESK RECEPTIONIST (Former Employee), Farmington, CTJune 16, 2015
Pros: The job was diverse and enjoyable - was able to interact with many people
Cons: My job title was eliminated
Worked directly with internal and external staff - Home Healthcare Nurses as well as inhouse staff.

Learned all facets of home healthcare while working for GENTIVA HomeCare.
it was a nice place to work
CNA/HHA (Former Employee), Avon, INJune 9, 2015
it was a great place to work at first but changed it was bought out by this company and it had changed.. i couldn't get my hours... i worked generally by myself.. the hardest part was watching patients suffer in a diffcult time
Great People
Business Office Manager and Executive Assistant (Current Employee), Dallas, TexasJune 9, 2015
Pros: Patients, Families, Team mates
Cons: Long hours and losing people you come to care for.
I love being able to work with my team. Scheduling and payroll are very important for me to take of my team. I also enjoy being able to take care patients in the field and in our inpatient unit.

Hospice is very rewarding and makes a difference in family lives.
Good management
ADMISSIONS COORDINATOR (Former Employee), Wheat Ridge, COJune 8, 2015
The hospital was ok to work for, it was very overwhelming and needed more help at times. When census was low there was never any guarantee that your shift could be picked up, therefore, I missed getting my hours because I was not needed
Rewarding but with much challenges
Occupational Therapist (Former Employee), Charlotte, NCJune 6, 2015
Pros: Flexibilty, autonomy, company benefits, hardworking and supportive coworkers
Cons: Wide radius, pay per visit, unavailability of patients to treat therefore a VERY unstable pay check, lots of unpaid time doing documentation
A typical day includes scheduling your patients and driving to see them whether in their homes or an ALF. They may or may not be there even when a visit was scheduled. In this case, you are paid mileage and a missed visit rate which is substantially lower than a visit rate. For the most part, this is a quintessential setting for an Occupational therapist. Here you are in the client's natural and functional environment therefore whatever modification or adaptation that is done, is the real deal and not simulated. This can be challenging but very much rewarding. Being able to adapt someone's – more... stove or washing machine for example, enhabling them to be independent and seeing the joy in their eyes, is an exhilarating feeling. On the other hand, recognizing that this is not the safest setting for the patient and recommending intervention that may involve having them leaving home, can be distressing.

If you don't have a prn job or the only working member of your family, think carefully before signing on as your income will not be steady. A solution to that is to go as a contractor if that option is available. Like every where else management has issues but the reality is, there is no eutopia. Someday I hope to return to this setting when the pay is salaried vs ppv or I am financially stable and don't mind. – less
Team enviroment, great place to work
Lead AR D.M.E Specialist (Former Employee), Atlanta, GAJune 1, 2015
I enjoyed my time at Gentiva, the department I worked in, worked together as a team, whether work related or personal. I would have retired from Gentiva, had they not outsourced the D.M.E. department.

Followed up on all self pay claims, responsible for training new employees, Maintained a monthly revenue goal of over 350K
Would not recommend
CSM (Former Employee), Marlborough, MAMay 25, 2015
Pros: You do learn some things
Cons: Poor work life balance
Experience as far as things learned was pretty good
Orientation was disorganized
Coworkers: Newer ones were decent and professional, most of the older ones who had being there longer were awful, acting like it was a constant turf war and like somebody was trying to take their job.
Management: If I could rate below a zero, I would, besides one manager, the rest including the executive director was very unprofessional, lots of cultish like preferential treatment with hidden agendas going on.
You are blamed for a anything even when the patient is wrong.
Poor work life balance
Rewarding to work with the patients and family
Case Manager (Former Employee), Birmingham, ALMay 23, 2015
The documentation too long and it was redundant. It left little time to give quality patient care and educate families.
gentiva
Senior Home Health Specialist (Current Employee), San Jose, CAMay 20, 2015
ok company with benefits and management available to manage you. Very unorganized company with high racial profiling of their employee's and mistreatment of certain specific genders and races
Family-like environment
Social Services Coordinator (Current Employee), Beaumont, TXMay 19, 2015
Pros: Co-workers
Cons: on call
Enjoyed working with patients and families in their home environment. My co-workers were my favorite part of working with Gentiva. Always willing to help or offer support. Management can be clique-ish but still mostly is understandable and has your back.
Great Place to work!!!
Electronic Health Records Intern (Current Employee), Columbus, GAMay 14, 2015
Great people to work with very helpful and compassinate about there work. I do volunteer work for them i love it there great.

1 2 3 4 5

About Gentiva Health Services

Gentiva Health Services is a gentle giant. As one of the┬ánation's largest home health care and hospice services firms, the company – Read more

Gentiva Health Services Salaries