Gentiva Health Services Employee Reviews

Productive place to work.
CSR - Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Austin, TXFebruary 4, 2016
Office Manager was caring and helped me do better. Learned to multitask and learned not to take everything personal. Learn to be a better listener because sometimes all somebody need is a person who really listens to what they have to say.
RN (ppv) Hickory, NC
Home Health RN (Former Employee) –  Hickory, NCFebruary 3, 2016
I really enjoyed working with this company. They "invested" sufficient time thru the company system university to orient u to Gentivas' style of Home Health Care. The same can be said about "preceptor time." I actually learned several new treatment techniques, I was impressed ! The pay was good & weekly which helped a lot. Benefits were decent.

The biggest problem was no pay while completing mandatory company/CMS paperwork AFTER getting home. Usually anywhere from 4-6 hours! I "lost" a lot of pay d/t this situation! Even though this time spent was placed on my weekly time sheet, I didn't get paid for it! If it wasn't for this fact, I would probably still be working there.
Pros
Free CEU's; great coworkers; friendly management
Cons
See above; possible no lunch breaks on the road;
Great employer
Medical Billing Collector (Current Employee) –  Overland Park, KSFebruary 2, 2016
Great employer, very involved in employees well being at work. Holds frequent activities to boos company morale. Only downfall is high expectations
Case Manger
Case Manager-Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Kenosha, WIFebruary 1, 2016
Typical day starts at 8am, with a case load of patients from 6-8 depending on needs of company. Schedule changes frequently, charting is usually delayed by management of patient case load. Manage anywhere from 10-30 patients typically. Phone usage between calling management, physicians, ancillary team, family is a large portion of day. Need to be very organized and meticulous in record keeping. Typical day driving is anywhere from 4 hours or more. Usual time back to home is around 5-6PM , with usually a couple phone calls at home and hours of charting to do. On call phone for 7 days in a row, with no extra pay to go out to see patients, very little pay for being on call, and you get phone calls anytime of the night, and are expected to report everyday to the office the phone calls you received by 8am
Pros
Work is very personal with patient and rewarding
Cons
Time spent working and life balance is very unequal
love working with ppl I can bond with. espescailly when it comes down on doing one on one daily livings.
CNA/Caregiver (Former Employee) –  Childress, TXJanuary 29, 2016
I've been certified as a c.n.a since 2001. Love doing what I do. I feel like I have alot to offer and I can really make see it for their selves and in others eyes as well.
Pros
just being involved in ones life
Cons
dont understand
Caring and knowledgeable colleagues
Site Revenue Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Southfield, MIJanuary 22, 2016
Working in Hospice is truly a blessing. Obviously experiencing death is the most difficult part of the job. However knowing that dying is apart of living and the care that is provided at the end of life for hospice patients and their families is what brings the joy.

I learned valuable customer service skills during my tenure. In Hospice the saying is "you don't get a second chance at helping a family during a loved ones death".
Pros
Being apart of so many families
Cons
Family dynamics
career
Electronic Health Records Externship (Former Employee) –  Columbus, GAJanuary 19, 2016
american express was very knowledgable to work for doing customer service talking to customers letting them know their balances ordering their cards, exchanging their rewards poits for different services instead of using money
taco bell food industry taught me to have a lot patient with different personalities with the co-workers and customers
Pros
free meals
Cons
co-workers attitudes and walking out or not showing up on shift
Very caring and professional environment
Volunteer - Chart Auditing, Medical Records (Former Employee) –  Bakersfield, CAJanuary 18, 2016
Gentiva was a very caring and professional environment to work. It was a pleasure to volunteer with them and be a part of something that deeply touched the patient and their family.
Should have listened...........HUGE TURNOVER
RN Case Manager (Former Employee) –  AlabamaJanuary 17, 2016
I read all the reviews prior to accepting the job, most being negative and let's just say, I SHOULD HAVE LISTENED. They say they pay good but in actuality they do not because you REALLY have to work for the little 'good' they do pay you. My pet peeve was the long hours I worked OFF the clock and was never compensated. If corrections are to be made they constantly send you emails and expect you to finish it with that timeframe whether you are off, sick, whatever. Mileage is a joke. As far as you drive you can barely get enough money to fill up your tank for the week! A typical day would be getting a schedule THE DAY OF. VERY SELDOM would you get a schedule the night before. Sometimes the schedules were not ready until AFTER 9-10am! Schedulers seemed lost a lot of times and even frustrated with management. Then you have to find out where your patients area, inform them you are coming and pretty much map out your day. You would be lucky to start at a decent time, but there were SOME good days. You spend the day driving ALOT, seeing patients and God forbid if a patient cancels or even if something happens, it throws your schedule COMPLETELY off. At even if you finish early seeing all of your patients then they want you available to see more until 5pm. They constantly call throughout the day adding more and more people to your caseload. You get paid off the amount of patients you see so if some cancel and you don't have anymore to see that day then financially that messes you up. Between traveling and seeing a full caseload you will spend 8-10 hours, on a good day. If the census  more... of patients is low, that's another concern because you lose money. Some weeks paychecks can be good then others, especially if you are down on patients, can be awful and there is no financial compensation.
A lot of times when there were admissions, patient's information were not even accessible or even up to date or maybe the patient is not even at home yet because they may still be in the hospital. This is where management SHOULD step in. For the most part some MCPs are lazy, some are helpful, leave it at that. They were not on one accord, very seldom could give a set answer. Seems as if they could never give a complete answer, one manager tells you to do one thing, you do it and then it backfires with another manager. Policies always changing. Everyone is soooooooooo focused on documentation that you get overwhelmed. Even if you get off work let's say 3pm, as a RN CASEMANAGER your night will consist of charting and corrections they have sent back. They are constantly emailing you even if you are OFF, it can get SO VERY OVERWHELMING. If you have kids, I would not suggest to take this job as a RN Case manager. I have kids and even when I got off I was at meetings, practices trying to complete charting, doing their homework with them trying to complete charting, etc. That was the hardest part of my job, when I saw it pulled away from my children- I had to let it go. If you are single and do not have much of a life then it may be better. And sad thing is they are always adding more things to be done or additional things to chart. An LPN has less paperwork, more field work they just get floated around a lot more. Co-workers were pretty ok, like I said it has a huge turnover rate which includes field clinicians and office staff. The most enjoyable part were my magnificent patients! This is what makes nursing worthwhile! I loved meeting new patients throughout the city and surrounding area-it was like gaining family!!!
Pros
Flexibility (somewhat)
Cons
Just read the summary
past manager
chess piece (Former Employee) –  United StatesJanuary 10, 2016
Beware if trust is an issue. Your corporate managers will lie and deny any an everything. Mergers vs acquisition that is the question.
Pros
Cons
management untruthful
Great job; Made harder by Management
Medical Social Worker (Current Employee) –  Piscataway, NJJanuary 8, 2016
My work day consists of a combination of calling patients and their families, making patient visits, documentation.

I have learned that there is not always a connection between dedication to ones patients and management's desire to put patients first.

Best part of day - visiting patients.
My co- workers are extremely dedicated and congenial. Too bad the management is not the same.

Hardest part of job is when my patients pass away.

I've learned that no one is indespensible.
Pros
Great work and colleagues.
Cons
Management is not well trained.
Good company to work for.
Staff RN (Former Employee) –  Palm Desert, CAJanuary 8, 2016
Gentiva offers chances to improve your customer skills coupled with safe delivery of nursing care.. There is a team approach and your ideas are given consideration. Management is supportive. Co-workers function witrhout a great of supervison. A typical shift was not stressful and you felt that you had accomplished your goals for that day.
Pros
Pleasant place to work
Cons
Need more hours in a day to completely accomplish goals
Good place to work. Cares for their patients
LPN (Current Employee) –  Sevierville, TNJanuary 6, 2016
I have had good experiences at Gentiva homehealth. I am still employed there. Due to our census low, I am not getting enough work. I only want to work 2-3 days per week.
Pros
Organized
Cons
Not enough work
Wonderful place to work
Care Team Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MODecember 30, 2015
Management is AMAZING! Great place to learn and make wonderful friends! Very family oriented! Plus, they spoil you with home made lunches and BBQ's!!
Pros
Home made lunches
Focused more on documentation and reimbursement than patient care. Management is unfair and shows favortism to certain employees.
RN Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Russellville, ALDecember 30, 2015
While at Gentiva I was often given other employees responsibilities because they would complain and whine. I was always very professional and respectful to my supervisors and yet they would allow other employees to have special perks that I was not offered.
Pros
Salary and one on one patient care
Cons
everything but the salary and one on one patient care
not a bad place to work, just a lot of new face,s
Cna/hha (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MODecember 28, 2015
very productive workplace a lot of new changes since our merger but overall it,s okay we strive to give the best patient care available, patients always come first that's our primary goal
Pros
no hassles liberty
Cons
geographics
Growth and productions
Records Coordinator 1 and Care Team Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Boynton Beach, FLDecember 28, 2015
My typical day at Gentiva consisted of answering phone, filing , aduting charts . Staffing, Human resources, luncheons , meetings . Managment was my stepping stone for Home Health here is were I grew into my position and furthering my educations in this field .The hardest part of the job was trying to get the Plan of Treatments signed by the doctors office . The most enjoyable part off the job is we kept the office always filled with laughter and a sense of family.
Pros
The monthly luncheons we had with the entire office
Cons
Shorts breaks
Travel position
Clinical Manager Specialist (Current Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZDecember 16, 2015
This has and still is a great place to work. Have learned much about going into sites that require a lot of support. Rebuild programs and teams.
Pros
Travel
Cons
None at this time
be prepared
RN (Current Employee) –  Albuquerque, NMDecember 14, 2015
Although there are many wonderful employees who continue with this company to care for our patients, the company itself does not provide great support to its employees.
The bottom line is money.
Overwhelming amount of work
office worker (Former Employee) –  MarylandDecember 12, 2015
They need to do something about the extra long hours. There's no work/life balance. The compensation could be better for salaried staff.
Pros
It's a job
Cons
Forced to work through lunch and work way past your scheduled shift.