Gentiva Health Services

Gentiva Health Services Employer Reviews

Gentiva doesnt do hospice well at all. Very corporate environment.
Patient Care Mngr. (Former Employee), Austin TexasSeptember 15, 2014
Pros: most local teams rock.
Cons: gentiva corp.
Unfortunately, hospice has become very competetive, and Gentiva likes to sit on the sidelines and cross their fingers rather than put their money where their mouth is. You can almost hear the undertones during conference calls..."please, please get admissions today. Keep pushing. NO, you cant have support. We pay hundreds of people HUGE salaries to – more... make you work more and spend less."
Decisions are made on the knee jerk. Leadership is motivated and influenced by whomever is best at sucking up. The list goes on.
You will meet awesome nurses and other folks, but dont expect the company to support your team in terms of staffing, recruitment, resources etc...
If the need offends the bottom line...forget it. – less
Gentiva Hospice in Tucson
Nurse Case Manager (Current Employee), Tucson, AZSeptember 14, 2014
Pros: supportive, provided an excellent new employee orientation, promotes autonomy, minimal on call
Cons: there are days with out lunch, hours may extend greater than 8 hours daily, may require driving fairly long distances daily
I enjoy working with this wonderful group of people. Both local management and co-workers are very supportive. They truly work together as a team when providing care.
Working Conditions
Intake Coordinator (Former Employee), Tampa, FLSeptember 14, 2014
High Stress, poorly managed and always waiting to be laid off.
Dedicated nurses and staff seeking to help patients in-home.
CSA/Behavioral Health Team Coordinator (Former Employee), Farmington, CT AND Springfield, MASeptember 10, 2014
Pros: being able to work from home
Cons: not enough staffing
*A typical day at work consisted of; Updated reference manuals to ensure compliance with agency regulations and internal policies, procedures, and standards as directed as well as respond to telephone inquiries, recorded messages and/or direct caller to appropriate party. Case managed over [40] caregivers. Prepared bi-weekly payroll. Created, maintained – more... and updated the clinician’s schedules according to authorizations and patient needs.
Prepared clinical records for new patients upon receipt of referral. Completed administrative review of clinical records at start of care and upon patient discharge. Served as point of contact for all interactions with clinical team members, administrative associates, referral sources and patients. Filed incoming documents daily. Maintained a control procedure for active patient files. Maintained a tracking system to ensure clinical records are current according to company policy and regulatory requirements. Met all work demands in a timely manner.

*What I learned from Gentiva was how to be better organized and how to work in a fast paced environment.

*The management was good.

*My co-workers were wonderful, thoughtful and considerate.

*The hardest part of the job was coordinating schedules for over 40 nurses with hundreds of patients per week.

*The most enjoyable part of the job was, the job itself. It was fast paced and very complex. – less
Teamwork
Reimbursement Specialist (Former Employee), Tampa, FLSeptember 8, 2014
Faced challenges on a daily basis with the process of collecting from Insurance companies not wanting to pay their claims.
Don't even consider working here
RN (Former Employee), CDA, IDSeptember 8, 2014
Cons: everything above
The worst job I have had in my nrsg career. I felt like a slave. Felt deceived by mgmt. Unable to put together any sense of work/life balance. The workload was over the top unreasonable, working 12-15 hr days and never feeling caught up. Working 6-8 hrs a day on my days off at home without pay. I was Gentiva consumed.
When I resigned, they withheld – more... close to $700 in pay, did not return my phone calls and I went to a lawyer. I did get paid but they attempted to denigrate my character and integrity.
I once witnessed a supervisor horribly humiliate an employee at an all staff mtg and then overheard same supervisor yelling, screaming at an employee on the phone. She was so out of control she had to leave. I did not put in a two week notice due to feelings that they would mistreat me for two weeks or fire me on the spot.
And pay per visit is only a profit for Gentiva. It works out to be very very low pay for nurses. Mgmt works a very nice timely 8-5 with lunch break. For employees no such thing. Mgmt felt defensive in telling me on hire, not an 8-5 position but never indicated 12-15 hr days.
Do not even consider working for Gentiva. There is other work out there. You will become a slave – less
Caring and dedicated coworkers
Site Revenue Coordinator to Office Manager (Current Employee), Camp Hill, PASeptember 6, 2014
Pros: co-workers, nice office, slightly flexible schedule, close to home
Cons: healthcare coverage, pay, lack of appreciation, instability
I have great co-workers who truly care about providing top notch patient care. A typical day consists of juggling multiple administrative tasks and keeping the office organized. Unfortunately there is not job security in the office, but if solid fellow management would be hired we would do amazing things!
Awful...
Home Health Specialist (Former Employee), Maumee, OHSeptember 4, 2014
Pros: nothing at all...
Cons: awful..very hostile work enviorment!
This is the worst job I have ever had in life!! Everyone is rude and disrespectful to one another! I never received any training or better yet orientation. If you say anything you will be fired. I went to work sick everyday, very unethical. Accepts patients that they cant service nor care about patients at all. They let patients sit at home for 7 days – more... before they get to them. They only take Medicare patients and will tell you they do not want any other patients because of the payer source. Management is awful, rude and will not help you with anything!! – less
Productive in Patient Care and wellness.
Medical Records Clerk (Former Employee), Lawrenceville, GASeptember 3, 2014
Pros: paid holidays, raises
Cons: no one to fill my position when out sick or vacation.
A typical day at work was fast paced, constant flow of phone calls and managing the Medical Record Department.
I have learned hot to multi-task different projects as well as set up my environment that was conducive for the other personnel in the office.
Management was up to par in making sure the office was ran in a production-line type fashion as well – more... as maintaining personable actions.
Co-workers were limited in number but everyone had an understanding of their roles in order to make the office run smoothly.
The hardest part of the job was to break away for lunch because of my personal target goals I set in place each day.
The most part of the day was at the time reports were to be pulled for analysis of documentation submission via EMR. – less
Great place to intern/ work for.
Health Services Administration (Current Employee), Southfield, MISeptember 2, 2014
Pros: great close knit family, all workers help without any issues
Cons: very demanding work
There are only a few companies in the healthcare industry with a great reputation. I am fortunate enough to have experience this first hand. I recently received a wonderful opportunity to work for one of the best companies in this industry, through an internship.

I have much respect for the individuals that are assigned to all of the filing. There – more... are so many different aspects to the filing and sorting at Gentiva Hospice. For instance, there are so many different tabs with lengthy paperwork that has to be file according to a format of a folder.

I didn’t know what to expect, when it came to Health Care Administration work. There is a lot to know, and very little room for error. I will admit at first, I was very overwhelmed with all of this administration work, and then I realized that it gets a little better as time progresses. I will say that the job is very demanding, and challenging at times, but I will not trade this in because I am always doing something, and I enjoy the challenging demand of the workplace. This is what I am pursuing my education for, and I need all of the knowledge, skills, and abilities that I can get to move to a higher level within my chosen profession. – less
CEO created a great work enviornment
Volunteer (Former Employee), Flint.MiAugust 28, 2014
Pros: free lunches, massages, holiday parties
Company was very fast passed in that the time slots for patients were to be kept full. Co-workers were friendly and worked as a team to get things done. I learned to work quickly but effectively under pressure. Learned that time management was needed to complete the days work. One of the hardest parts of the job was making sure the insurance was verified – more... and the patient safe to have an MRI before calling them in to fill a time slot. The enjoyable time was getting the slots filled and the schedule full and running smoothly.I loved working for this company. – less
By 2013 culture changed to one of hostility and mistrust
DCO (Former Employee), TNAugust 28, 2014
Pros: enviornment with support, trust and teamwork, job security
Cons: with change in supervisors came lack of upline support, lack of trust and job loss
Many negative changes occurred in 2013 with changes in upline supervisors who did not lead with honesty or caring about the staff. Turnover increased. Culture changed from employee support to reduction in force. Positions were eliminated and filled again in 6 months.
Over-utilization of Medicare/caid Visits
Past Sales Position (Former Employee), AtlantaAugust 28, 2014
Pros: the income and benefits are competitive
Cons: poor upper level management and questionable operations
Both Genteva Home Health and their various hospice companies stay in trouble most of the time for over utilization by Medicare and caid. Patients are seen far to frequently and seldom if ever discharged.

If you don't mind having having your license put at risk, this might be a decent place to work until you can find a more honest HH provider to work – more... for.

I would not work for this company under any circumstance. – less
The atmosphere was fast paced and constant revolving
Payroll Specialist (Former Employee), Overland Park, Ks.August 27, 2014
The typical day at Gentiva consist of daily process changing I learned to process payroll using the different time keeping system, PS, Chase Pay cards etc. The management at Gentiva was focused for results. The co-workers were helpful and had the team player attitude. The hardest part of the job was making sure that everything balanced. The most enjoyable – more... part of the job was the satisfaction knowing that the employee was correctly paid. – less
Got Brains? Got Ethics? Then don't work for Gentiva Hospice.
RN (Current Employee), Rhode IslandAugust 22, 2014
Pros: good quality catheters for patients .
Cons: dishonest, unethical, fraudulent, embarrassing, company.
This is the most disgusting blatantly fraudulent
Hospice Nursing agency . Patients get minimal care at best. Mostly nursing home patients some home patients that have been denied admission from everyone else. Barely have time to see your patients. Rarely do you spend a half hour with a patient. Basically order medications and equipment to be shipped – more... to patients. When we have to admit a patient when the admission nurse is busy... Basically were told it's an eligibility screening and admit.
BUT ,Don't you dare screen and NOT admit.

Saddest thing is when the nurse doing the admission has a question about the patient we are told to call the sales marketing liaisons, and NOT the physician. We're specifically told not to call the physicians. The liaisons lie and make up info and never have documentation to back anything up . Especially true with Assisted Living facilities . But I DO call the physicians since I prefer medical info from an MD, and not the sales account executives which are now called " Hospice Specialists". They aren't nurses, they aren't even manicurists .These people should sell herbal life, or give out cheese samples at BJ's or SAMs Club.

I can't wait to quit here.

I'm saving names and medical record numbers of patients I was forced to admit despite them not meeting criteria . I'll give them to Medicare and the Rhode Island attorney general .Yeah, gentiva has a " confidential hotline " staff can call to report fraud. I know of two people that did so and within a couple of months they were fired because of trumped up
Complaints. Not confidential at all, not when the area director and manager call you to meet and discuss " the matter" with you.

You will hate the quality of care your relegated to giving your patients since you are always overloaded with cases. You will hate the unethical mission of the company. You'll feel for the managers who's hands are tied since they aren't allowed to ever back up a nurse when she's right and they know it. I'm sure it's worse for the managers.

Don't work here. It's just so sad that any Hospice has come to this . – less
Got Brains? Got Ethics? Then don't work for Gentiva Hospice.
RN (Current Employee), Rhode IslandAugust 22, 2014
Pros: good quality catheters for patients .
Cons: dishonest, unethical, fraudulent, embarrassing, company.
This is the most disgusting blatantly fraudulent
BUT ,Don't you dare screen and NOT admit.

I can't wait to quit here.

Don't work here. It's just so sad that any Hospice has come to this . – less
Productive work atmosphere
Account Executive (Former Employee), Westbury, Long IslandAugust 15, 2014
Typical day involves meeting with home healthcare referral sources - MDs, SNFs and Hospitals etc.,
Convey any pertinent information to MDs and staff regarding status of patient referrals if necessary.
Meet with and develop relationship with new referral resources and communicate information on why Gentiva is the very best provider of home healthcare – more... services.
Do presentations to groups of Docs, Social Workers, Hospital Staff and Office personnel on the range of services that the company provides.
Meet with internal staff and AVP of sales regularly.
Develop new ways to reach clients. – less
HOSTILE
RN (Former Employee), IndianaAugust 14, 2014
wondering if they are paying people to write good reviews . company preaches about pt care but $ comes first. Managment is constantly changing. Opinions of staff are not considered. Work hours are unreasonable. Classic case of people being put in positons that they do not belong causing staff, patients and their families to suffer. You must watch corporate – more... complaince vidoes before starting which encourage you to call upper chain with concerns when in fact they could give a s%^& – less
Volunteer Student (Former Employee), Southfield, MIAugust 13, 2014
Pros: social and laid back atmosphere
Cons: working with families and the end of life care of their loved ones
While Volunteering for this company I enjoyed working with the staff, sitting in on meetings and helping in every department. Loved the location and atmosphere
Rewarding, challenging, positive
Home Health Specialist (Current Employee), Nashville, TNAugust 11, 2014
Positive work place, great staff, not always a positive environment, not much support from upper level management, poor training.

1 2 3 4 5

About Gentiva Health Services

Gentiva Health Services is a gentle giant. As one of the nation's largest home health care and hospice services firms, the company – Read more

Gentiva Health Services Photos