Gentiva Health Services Employee Reviews

My life was destroyed working for them
Personal Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Lawton, OKJune 21, 2015
9 years and 1 day ago, I went to work as I had for months. My first client of the day was difficult to transfer and we were waiting for the delivery of the doctor-ordered hoyer lift. During yet another difficult transfer, I was injured. The client was safe, but it was at the cost of my body.

From the moment I called and told my supervisor I was hurt and needed to leave, I was treated with even less respect than I was already being given. When I was seen in the ER and put off work, I hand-delivered the form to the office - and was treated coldly. My life ended that day, in many ways.

My 9 year old child had to become MY caregiver, because there are STILL days that I cannot dress myself completely - he is now 18. In many ways, working for Gentiva destroyed his life too. He has to do most of the household jobs because I cannot. There are days he has to help me get out of bed - but I "don't qualify" for home health care because I am not receiving disability.

I was railroaded through the worker's compensation system, their insurance provider to date has not complied with the court order as to what they are to provide me, and even filing paperwork for a review has been fruitless because of the "big backlog".

Someone at the Lawton Gentiva office felt it necessary to start my claim for fmla without consulting me during the time I was off work and fighting their insurance provider to be able to see a surgeon. It took me NINE MONTHS before I saw a surgeon (and even then it had to be ordered by a judge and I had to prove WHY I needed to see them instead of just
  more... a physical therapist), and as a result I have permanent nerve damage in my leg and foot because the nerve root was pinched for so long prior to surgery.

I cannot get Social Security Disability, because some brilliant person at Gentiva claims I worked for weeks after my injury, which negates my claim that the injury is as severe as it is. When asked on applications when my end date of employment was for Gentiva, I honestly have no idea. Is it the date I was injured? The date of the final court hearing? The last day of the FMLA? Tried to call the office and was hung up on.

I had money taken from my checks for shares in the company, but when I tried to call the number I had years ago to find out how to cash out, I was told that there was no record of my having ever been in the program - so where did my money go?

I was driving over 100 miles a day because of their scheduler's inability to keep me in one area of the very rural county. Not that there were not enough clients in my home area - they had other workers from 30mi away coming up to my home area to care for clients that I could have while I was going to their home area to work with other clients. Financially, the fuel cost was slowly draining what little I had saved up. When I asked to be kept closer to home, I was told I could not choose where I worked, I went where they scheduled me or could look for another job.

They paid "travel time" at $6/hr - NOT mileage. I saved all my time sheets and had them with for the final hearing for my Worker's Compensation case - even the lawyer representing them and their insurance company questioned how legal this was. Even the judge questioned the legality of the practice. It was because of this method of paying that I was underpaid for about 18 months - their insurance did not calculate travel time as wages, and it was.

There was (maybe still is) a fund that employees can donate to to help a fellow employee who is having a financial hardship. Due to the loss of my income (and the insurance company insisting they knew the proper amount for my weekly checks - which was off by almost $40 a week) my son and I became homeless and were living in my car because there were no openings at area shelters. I applied to the fund in hopes of getting a little help with deposit/first month rent on a 1 bedroom place I could make work out of the weekly checks and was informed that I "was not an employee". Really? I had been going to work for clients they contracted to care for, I had been paid by their company for my hours I spent caring for those clients, but I was not an employee?

My body has been through countless injections, therapies, surgery, procedures just to keep me functioning enough to make sure my son made it to adulthood - that had become my goal. My health is deteriorating due to the years of certain medications and procedures with no alternatives available. Slowly, Gentiva's negligence is killing me, and because of the Oklahoma Worker Compensation laws, I have no legal recourse other than keep filing review requests for my case. My biggest fear is that I won't live long enough and my son will have lost not only his childhood but his only parent as well. But why should Gentiva care? Their backs turned the moment I was no longer at their beck and call to be abused and sent hither and yon with sometimes only a few minutes' notice.

Where was Gentiva? Where were my supervisors? Using my case as an example of "wrong judgement" during their training sessions. I had multiple former co-workers inform me of this when they would run into me (usually in a hospital or picking up medication) According to my supervisor, I should have let the patient hit the floor.... and his wheelchair... and his recliner. How's that for caring home care?

Seriously, if you want to work for this company, do so cautiously and because there are no other options. What you are promised on hire is not what you get. Use your voice to protect yourself, because they will chew you up and spit you out if you don't - and won't give it a second thought.
Pros
met some wonderful people and families while working for them
Cons
zero respect or concern for their employees or their safety & well-being
Should have listened...........HUGE TURNOVER
RN Case Manager (Former Employee) –  AlabamaJanuary 17, 2016
I read all the reviews prior to accepting the job, most being negative and let's just say, I SHOULD HAVE LISTENED. They say they pay good but in actuality they do not because you REALLY have to work for the little 'good' they do pay you. My pet peeve was the long hours I worked OFF the clock and was never compensated. If corrections are to be made they constantly send you emails and expect you to finish it with that timeframe whether you are off, sick, whatever. Mileage is a joke. As far as you drive you can barely get enough money to fill up your tank for the week! A typical day would be getting a schedule THE DAY OF. VERY SELDOM would you get a schedule the night before. Sometimes the schedules were not ready until AFTER 9-10am! Schedulers seemed lost a lot of times and even frustrated with management. Then you have to find out where your patients area, inform them you are coming and pretty much map out your day. You would be lucky to start at a decent time, but there were SOME good days. You spend the day driving ALOT, seeing patients and God forbid if a patient cancels or even if something happens, it throws your schedule COMPLETELY off. At even if you finish early seeing all of your patients then they want you available to see more until 5pm. They constantly call throughout the day adding more and more people to your caseload. You get paid off the amount of patients you see so if some cancel and you don't have anymore to see that day then financially that messes you up. Between traveling and seeing a full caseload you will spend 8-10 hours, on a good day. If the census  more... of patients is low, that's another concern because you lose money. Some weeks paychecks can be good then others, especially if you are down on patients, can be awful and there is no financial compensation.
A lot of times when there were admissions, patient's information were not even accessible or even up to date or maybe the patient is not even at home yet because they may still be in the hospital. This is where management SHOULD step in. For the most part some MCPs are lazy, some are helpful, leave it at that. They were not on one accord, very seldom could give a set answer. Seems as if they could never give a complete answer, one manager tells you to do one thing, you do it and then it backfires with another manager. Policies always changing. Everyone is soooooooooo focused on documentation that you get overwhelmed. Even if you get off work let's say 3pm, as a RN CASEMANAGER your night will consist of charting and corrections they have sent back. They are constantly emailing you even if you are OFF, it can get SO VERY OVERWHELMING. If you have kids, I would not suggest to take this job as a RN Case manager. I have kids and even when I got off I was at meetings, practices trying to complete charting, doing their homework with them trying to complete charting, etc. That was the hardest part of my job, when I saw it pulled away from my children- I had to let it go. If you are single and do not have much of a life then it may be better. And sad thing is they are always adding more things to be done or additional things to chart. An LPN has less paperwork, more field work they just get floated around a lot more. Co-workers were pretty ok, like I said it has a huge turnover rate which includes field clinicians and office staff. The most enjoyable part were my magnificent patients! This is what makes nursing worthwhile! I loved meeting new patients throughout the city and surrounding area-it was like gaining family!!!
Pros
Flexibility (somewhat)
Cons
Just read the summary
NO ORIENTATION AT ALL, YET EXPECTED TO KNOW THE RULES
Advantage Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Stroud, okDecember 3, 2012
I should have known it was going to be difficult to work there when in the interview the Supervisor stated she was "the best" supervisor EVER. As an Advantage case manager, I had a large territory to cover each month, no orientation from anyone and a lot of redundant paperwork after hours. The RNs that shared the small office were less than helpful as one had been terrorized and was unable to answer simple questions and the other had quit (along with her sister) then came back and preceded to treat me as though I was less than human because I was a LPN. She made it very clear she wanted me out and her sister back. One way was to sing along with Christmas music, another was to use a scent pot with very strongly scented candles. I have an allergic reaction to strong chemical smells. When I turned it off one day, she became angry and stated she "couldn't stand the smell of smoke coming off me and it would stay on!" Funny, but the "best supervisor" smoked strong cigarettes and the RN practically sat in her lap every Monday. The RN refused to return my greetings in the mornings, refused to schedule meetings with members with me. The one time she could not get out of a meeting, she arrived late, interrupted me talking to the member, did not say a word to me, left and then waited 2 days to give me her paperwork so I could do mine. But my favorite thing was on office Monday when the RN would ease drop on my conversations with members and then rush to the supervisor tattling when she thought I had made a mistake. The "best supervisor" would then come in the small office and proceed to  more... "explain" to me why I couldn't do what the RN thought I had said. The RN would interrupt and abjectly apologize to me for saying anything and then run after the supervisor crying that she didn't want to cause trouble, it was just she didn't want our office to be in trouble. I informed the supervisor of the RN's attitude and was told I was wrong, the RN would not display that type of behavior. This supervisor was in the office once a week, it that, due to overseeing two offices. She informed me that she did not want to be called for every little thing and expected me to know the questions needing to be answered. My reply was if I didn't know the questions, how was I to ask? I knew my job as a CM, I did not know how Gentiva wanted things done. No one at the office seemed to know and when I did call or text the supervisor, she sounded put out and questioned why I didn't ask someone in the office, if she answered. I knew a week before that I would not be working past my 3 month evaluation as the "best supervisor's" tone of voice turned when ever she spoke to me. The smirk on the RN's face was another clue. I spent most of my time fixing mistakes the former (sister) CM had made, doing paperwork that was not required by AAU, and trying to schedule 33 members in home visits before the 23rd of each month, this with having to spend every Monday in the office doing calls and paperwork. I found out too late that Gentiva expected CM's do monthly phone visits, that they have "floating holidays" that ruin a schedule, and that the CTC and RC made daily calls to the supervisor about me, but never in serviced me on anything I was doing "wrong".  less
Pros
good office staff, can work at home
Cons
never received benefits, too much territory to cover, no orientation at all
Mismanagement Runs Rampant.
Medical Records Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Petersburg, VaJuly 14, 2015
The job itself would have been wonderful if it weren't for the mass of awful management running the place. There are too many people who think they run the place and no one takes real charge or has any clue what is going on from day to day. There is so much finger pointing and gossip that it makes work nearly impossible to accomplish. The management is also comprised of bullies and use threats and lies to get what they want out of you. I was directly asked at one point, what they had to do to get the work out of me. No one is properly trained, the turn over is so high that they start throwing people around to different positions with no training and no help. The Petersburg and Richmond offices are in shambles and regardless of how much "money" they make, the staff is miserable and the compassion is completely out the door. It is sickening to listen and hear the management at staff meetings pointing fingers at all the staff they have had issues with in the last month and then giving employee of the month to the person who they want to suck up to because they are going to abuse them in the coming months and unfortunately for them they are too stupid to realize it. To them a gift card makes up for all the abuse, I however, don't take that sort of mess from anyone. You treat me well all the time, give me proper training and help and then we can talk. If you abuse, threaten and belittle me, I will not perform to your liking. This job is hard enough as it is, knowing that the nurses and aids are helping people in the last moments of their lives as well as the families cope with the  more... death of a loved one, you would think that compassion would extend into the company as well. You would be 100% wrong, there is zero compassion for the employees and the only care is about the money. Which I feel could be greater if only they treated their staff properly. You treat your staff well, they are happier, they perform better, the company gets more positive feedback and more business is made. However, this is not how Gentiva, excuse me, the Richmond and petersburg offices chose to do business. They instead want to push and shove their employees to the breaking point and then when they are no longer any use to them cut them lose, regardless of how well they actually did their job. Disgusting and unbelievable place with heartless, cruel and useless management. DO NOT WORK FOR THIS COMPANY. I am telling you, not only do they try and mess with you emotionally they will fire you for no good reason and they pay you peanuts. Not to mention no one knows anything about anything there, it is always some one else's problem. Avoid a problem and find work somewhere else. I promise you won't regret passing on this opportunity.  less
Pros
The job itself was fun and easy.
Cons
Horrible management, gossiping, lies, threats, bullying, emotional manipulation and mismanagement galore.
Two best days with this office were the day I accepted position and the day I resigned
RN Case Manager (Former Employee) –  North Charleston, SCJune 14, 2013
Corporately, I have no complaints about Gentiva itself.

This office in particular is almost impossible to please, no matter how hard one works or how well you perform. There is no respect for one's personal time/life, no help when overloaded with too many patients. Promises constantly made for "help on the way" and then nothing provided. Managers not available to help field staff for visits, despite promises to do so. Branch manager has never even made a home health visit in entire career. No respect for territories management or input from field nurses working these territories. The only competent (and incredible) nurse manager in this office was bullied out altogether, leaving the nursing staff with no competent resource available to them. No raise of any kind in over 2 years. Suggestions for solutions to problems by Case Managers are disregarded; "rules" in the office change daily according to the agenda and preference of the branch manager. been enforced in this office, despite numerous employee complaints. The branch manager is able to freely "witch hunt" anyone using hostility, fabrication of violations, and constant changing of the "rules", which is blamed on corporate for having made and changed, though corporate HR confirms are either unethical, untrue or noncompliant with labor guidelines.

All documentation is hand written and excessive. Effective communication does not occur between management and field staff, leaving field staff to fend for themselves.

Loved my patients, loved my practice with the patients. Appreciated co-workers (other nursing and supportive
  more... staff), though everyone overworked. Learned invaluable knowledge about home health, hospice, case management and true nursing care, mostly from wonderful medical directors, chaplains and social workers. Medical directors with home health office INCREDIBLE.

Corporately, learning opportunites available online for training. Benefits were competitive with industry. Unfortunately, despite what seems to be an appropriate corporate culture, none of it has been enforced in this office, despite numerous employee complaints. I have heard of other Gentiva offices in the area where none of this type of behavior is a problem, and would likely not be tolerated. Maybe those offices would be a better consideration for employment opportunities.
Pros
benefits were competitive with industry, coworkers mostly supportive of each other, training online available
Cons
no help when overloaded, no respect for personal time; favoritism; hiring of "yes men" for benefit of branch manager, often with no experience; creates a hostile, toxic, punitive and staff splitting environment
great place to work
Vice President Business Initiatives (Current Employee) –  AtlantaDecember 4, 2013
I began my career in Home Healthcare/Hospice in 1989 at Healthfield, Inc. Healthfield is the company that merged with Gentiva in 2006. I spent ten years working at Healthfield beginning as a college student in the role of Pharmacy Tech and wore many other hats during that time culminating with being Operations Manager of the Respiratory and DME Division. I left Healthfield in 1999 and began working in Sales Management in Medical Sales, specialty areas being respiratory, wound, urological and diabetic products. During that decade, I was fortunate to be able to grow as a manager of people and learned to successfully hire and direct a sales force.
In 2010, I was brought on board to Gentiva, shortly before the Odyssey acquisition, and challenged with the task of developing a division to increase Hospice referrals for Gentiva. In order to increase hospice referrals, my first responsibility was to build a sales and clinical program to bridge the gap between Gentiva and Odyssey. This process began within the total overlap markets for Gentiva consisting of 288 locations in 90 markets.
There are two components to the Gentiva bridge program Clinical and Sales. Within the clinical portion, I directed the development of new clinical educational programs based on having the patient in the right level care at the right time. These programs facilitate a greater awareness for the nurses when a patient is declining on service. Thus, over a period of time the nurse is triggered to initiate education to the patient and caregivers regarding the benefits of Hospice. Then, per the Marketing/Educational
  more... Program we created, our Hospice experts come and sell the patients/caregivers on Hospice. As a result of this program we saw a decrease of 35% in deaths on our Home Health services. We are currently 156% over plan for patients moving from Home Health to Hospice from 2011 to 2012.
My role within the Sales portion of the program began with evaluating the existing sales force ensuring skill sets meshed with corporate needs and making necessary adjustments. I continued with developing the sales strategy, providing training, and implementation/direction for both sales teams in Gentiva's overlap markets to sell both Hospice and Home Health. The teams consist of 427 sales representatives. Currently, I manage ten direct reports (Regional VP’s) that direct the sales representatives in these overlap markets. We launched this program in October 2011. To date, we have seen a 25% increase in Hospice admission in these overlap markets. During the past year, the Bridge Division generated $26 million in incremental revenue.
Psych nurses, don't waste your time
Behavioral Health RN (Former Employee) –  Kingsport, TNNovember 21, 2012
If you become a psych nurse with Gentiva Home Health, you are granted the opportunity to perform a mental status exam, a geriatric depression screening, and observe for any possible side effects of psychotropic medications with your one or two "psych" patients maybe once or twice a week. The remainder of your time as a "psych" nurse will be spent performing wound care and multiple dressing changes at least six times a day.
When you are the "psych" nurse on-call which by-the -way is every other weekend, you get to take an extended, scenic driving tour which illustrates the magic and beauty that is rural, poverty- stricken Appalachia. As you drive over 150 miles a day to see the other "psych" nurse's medical patients as well as your own, you can feel confident that you are the only "psych" nurse that Gentiva has covering the entire area between the TN/VA state -line in Bristol to the Green County border in Bulls Gap which includes the areas of Rogersville, Churchill, Persia, and Surgoinsville.
As an added bonus, the company decided that it was a sound fiscal decision to eliminate the after-hours/ on-call coordinator and require the on-call nurse answer every phone call that is made to the office after 5:00 pm and on the weekends. The infinite wisdom behind this decision's frugality and flippant nature will become apparently clear as you answer the on-call cell phone with your left hand and with your right hand, navigate hairpin turns while plummeting down a mountain on one-lane dirt road in the depths of Hawkins County all the while giving the caller life changing information
  more... such the regular office hours, the office fax number, the name of your supervisor or explaining to a patient's family member for a sixth time today that you can not make home visit to simply take her mama to the bathroom.
When you get done seeing the patients, you can look forward to a relaxing evening at home which includes at least four hours or more of completing redundant paperwork. As a Gentiva nurse, your rate of pay for the visit is determined by the paperwork that is completed for that visit. The paperwork must be completed and turned in within 24- 48 hours of your visit, if you want to get paid.
Gentiva's Behavioral Health/ Psych Home Health nursing is a joke. The typical psych diagnosis is dementia with behavioral disturbance. Due to the pathophysiology of dementia, these behavioral disturbances are usually symptoms of disease progression. Psych nurses, don't waste your time.
Pros
good money
Cons
working 60+ hours a week, never-ending paper work, driving 100+ miles a day
Got Brains? Got Ethics? Then don't work for Gentiva Hospice.
RN (Current Employee) –  Rhode IslandAugust 22, 2014
This is the most disgusting blatantly fraudulent
Hospice Nursing agency . Patients get minimal care at best. Mostly nursing home patients some home patients that have been denied admission from everyone else. Barely have time to see your patients. Rarely do you spend a half hour with a patient. Basically order medications and equipment to be shipped to patients. When we have to admit a patient when the admission nurse is busy... Basically were told it's an eligibility screening and admit.
BUT ,Don't you dare screen and NOT admit.

Saddest thing is when the nurse doing the admission has a question about the patient we are told to call the sales marketing liaisons, and NOT the physician. We're specifically told not to call the physicians. The liaisons lie and make up info and never have documentation to back anything up . Especially true with Assisted Living facilities . But I DO call the physicians since I prefer medical info from an MD, and not the sales account executives which are now called " Hospice Specialists". They aren't nurses, they aren't even manicurists .These people should sell herbal life, or give out cheese samples at BJ's or SAMs Club.

I can't wait to quit here.

I'm saving names and medical record numbers of patients I was forced to admit despite them not meeting criteria . I'll give them to Medicare and the Rhode Island attorney general .Yeah, gentiva has a " confidential hotline " staff can call to report fraud. I know of two people that did so and within a couple of months they were fired because of trumped up
Complaints. Not confidential at all, not when
  more... the area director and manager call you to meet and discuss " the matter" with you.

You will hate the quality of care your relegated to giving your patients since you are always overloaded with cases. You will hate the unethical mission of the company. You'll feel for the managers who's hands are tied since they aren't allowed to ever back up a nurse when she's right and they know it. I'm sure it's worse for the managers.

Don't work here. It's just so sad that any Hospice has come to this .
Pros
good quality catheters for patients .
Cons
dishonest, unethical, fraudulent, embarrassing, company.
Terrible office staff
LPN (Former Employee) –  Chipley, FLOctober 14, 2013
A typical day at work includes arriving to work on time, waiting for schedule changes, greeting co-workers (management) with bad attitudes, and no appreciation shown for all the hard work put in for the care provided to patients/families.

The Branch Manager never smiles, lacks empathy, and doesnt get to know her employees. Expressing your complaints/concerns to her is like talking to a brick wall.

The hardest part of the job is not knowing what your walking into in an individuals home, schedule changes throughout the day so your lucky if you get a phone call from the Patient Care Secretary (who sits in the office and EAT and GAIN WEIGHT all day). Also the hardest part of the job is being made available for work as needed only to have ABSOLUTLEY NO JOB SECURITY. Unfortunately, patients were always complaining about not knowing who their RN case manager was or what happened to their HA that they had for 2+ years. Supervisors were not doing their job, but leaving it up to the LPN, HA, or whoever showed up to their home to explain the confusion.

In addition to the above, the hardest part of the job is the constant wear and tear on your vehicle, increasing gas prices, and lack of safety when entering patients homes.(ex. dogs, drugs, poor housing, no cell phone reception etc.)

The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to be available for the terminally ill patient and provide relief for the grieving famalies.

Whay Ive learned from past experiences until meeting them is that not every job or its coworkers are as corrupt as them. God opens doors to bigger and better opportunities
  more... when one is wrongfully slammed in your face. Smiling.  less
Pros
helping someone, away from the drama in the office
Cons
difficult to provide thorough patient care when office staff is not in tune with reality
Professional Team Player looking for a company to Grow with that appreciates hard work
Insurance Collector (Current Employee) –  Overland Park, KSApril 20, 2013
My current position is demanding and detailed. Each day as an Insurance Collector I have a quene of claims that it is my responsibility to solve the problems causing them not to either be settled or to be submitted in a timely manner. We do not have a true break schedule but are expected to respect that we get one in the morning and one in the afternoon and use them wisely. We also have a half hour lunch that can be taken from 11 a.m. - 1 p.m. and we do not clock in or out but am expected to respect the time limit. We do not clock in or out but log in and out of our computers as a way to show our hours and fill out a time sheet that is kept online. We are assigned to teams and each team works a different area of the Country. We are expected to meet deadlines for quarterly close and awarded for keeping Credit and Debit Goals, of which I've successfully acheived most quarters. Each team has a Supervisor and their is an Area Manager and Director. Problem solving is a very strong skill of mine and that is necessary in this position. Multi-tasking and organization are also very necessary to this position and these are the things I love about the job. I believe the hardest part of the job is often times having to work in an environment that is too loud and unprofessional but there is no part of the actual job I truly dislike. I have learned a lot more about the Insurance Industry through my current position and made several new friends of my co-workers.
Pros
not to far to commute, pot-luck lunches, company picnic, not punching a time card, fast paced.
Cons
communication lacking between departments, favoritism over job performance.
Solid company, clinical excellence, speciality programs excellent
Home Health Specialist (Current Employee) –  CAJanuary 28, 2014
I am a Home Health Specialist and am out in the field everyday trying to distinguish my agency from the others in my territory. Between our Home Health Compare clinical data compiled by the Center for Medicare and Medicaid, our low 30 day hospital readmission rate and the professional clinicians that work in my branch, my job is relatively easy. We have a great fall prevention program called Safe Strides and are soon getting a Cardiopulumonary specialty program which is what our market needs. We deliver excellent and sophisticated clinical care where patients want to be treated - in their homes. Home health is a lot less expensive than care delivered in other settings and Gentiva does a great job in that delivery. We have our challenges with reimubursement levels declining but the company is adjusting well and looking into the future to be proactive. The hardest part of my job is the extreme focus on Medicare patients given the rise in Medicare Advantage patients. There has lately been some management turnover but Gentiva attracts good qualified people and I am certain the new managers will be as savvy and professional as the last. I would highly recommend applying at Gentiva as I believe you will find employment here a pleasant experience. You will learn a lot and have the priviledge of delivering care in a setting unlike any other.
Pros
specialty programs are excellent, lots of freedom to do your job well.
Cons
the changes going on in healthcare make it a bit challenging.
Rewarding but with much challenges
Occupational Therapist (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJune 6, 2015
A typical day includes scheduling your patients and driving to see them whether in their homes or an ALF. They may or may not be there even when a visit was scheduled. In this case, you are paid mileage and a missed visit rate which is substantially lower than a visit rate. For the most part, this is a quintessential setting for an Occupational therapist. Here you are in the client's natural and functional environment therefore whatever modification or adaptation that is done, is the real deal and not simulated. This can be challenging but very much rewarding. Being able to adapt someone's stove or washing machine for example, enhabling them to be independent and seeing the joy in their eyes, is an exhilarating feeling. On the other hand, recognizing that this is not the safest setting for the patient and recommending intervention that may involve having them leaving home, can be distressing.

If you don't have a prn job or the only working member of your family, think carefully before signing on as your income will not be steady. A solution to that is to go as a contractor if that option is available. Like every where else management has issues but the reality is, there is no eutopia. Someday I hope to return to this setting when the pay is salaried vs ppv or I am financially stable and don't mind.
Pros
Flexibilty, autonomy, company benefits, hardworking and supportive coworkers
Cons
Wide radius, pay per visit, unavailability of patients to treat therefore a VERY unstable pay check, lots of unpaid time doing documentation
Get ready to not have a life
RN field (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GANovember 22, 2012
A typical day was leaving the home at 7 am, seeing 10-12 units and not returning home till around 6 or 7 pm and then sitting down to complete charting for the next 3-4 hours, go straight to bed and then start all over again.Mandatory meetings scheduled for the next day that last 1-2 hours each but you are contacted at 8:30 - 9:00 pm AFTER you have already called your patients for the next day and know that it is too late to try and call them again. Having to rush through patient care because you have so many patients to see and still have to chart. To do the job the right way, you have to be prepared to spend a minimum of 45 minutes on each patient, expect 20-25 minutes of that to be strictly charting. The LifeSmart system is very buggy. You may be asked by your MCP to document things in the system that you did not do to cover them. You will be sitting 90% of your day. Expecting therapists to perform nursing duties that they are not qualified to do. Also, getting home and finding out that you were added 1-2 more patients that you were not informed about and that really can't wait till the next day so out you go again. Once you figure out what you make per unit and then figure in the drive time and charting time, your pay is drastically cut almost in half for what you put into it. If you want a fast paced, busy job that they money does not equal out, then this is the job for you. You will be contacted repeatedly when you are off work.
Pros
great co-workers that you can ask for help at any time, good benefits
Cons
long hours, not enough quality time with the patients

Comment – February 1, 2013

What are units? If you get paid X for a regular visit and Y for admission visit are they assigned points? If you get paid PPV for the drive time/visit and documenting that visit, do you get paid an hourly rate for say going to staff meeting or working on NON visit related paperwork. Moving up to CT soon and may change to home care but not a fan of working for free lol. Does the full time RN do the recerts etc...paperwork not related to an actual visit and management of caseload/care coordination or does the clinical manager do that paperwork? And if the full time RN does it do you get paid for that? Also is it feasible and normal to get your work done between 8-5.. Thanks for any input.

Dedicated nurses and staff seeking to help patients in-home.
CSA/Behavioral Health Team Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Farmington, CT AND Springfield, MASeptember 10, 2014
*A typical day at work consisted of; Updated reference manuals to ensure compliance with agency regulations and internal policies, procedures, and standards as directed as well as respond to telephone inquiries, recorded messages and/or direct caller to appropriate party. Case managed over [40] caregivers. Prepared bi-weekly payroll. Created, maintained and updated the clinician’s schedules according to authorizations and patient needs.
Prepared clinical records for new patients upon receipt of referral. Completed administrative review of clinical records at start of care and upon patient discharge. Served as point of contact for all interactions with clinical team members, administrative associates, referral sources and patients. Filed incoming documents daily. Maintained a control procedure for active patient files. Maintained a tracking system to ensure clinical records are current according to company policy and regulatory requirements. Met all work demands in a timely manner.

*What I learned from Gentiva was how to be better organized and how to work in a fast paced environment.

*The management was good.

*My co-workers were wonderful, thoughtful and considerate.

*The hardest part of the job was coordinating schedules for over 40 nurses with hundreds of patients per week.

*The most enjoyable part of the job was, the job itself. It was fast paced and very complex.
Pros
being able to work from home
Cons
not enough staffing
RUN AWAY!!!
. (Former Employee) –  MassachusettsApril 23, 2014
Do not let this company fool you, they have done it to countless employees that have all left for the same reasons!! You will regularly work after hours and on weekends (it's not uncommon to work 16 hours in a weekend and then be expected to continue with your regular workload during the week), so don't expect any type of work/life balance. The amount of driving you will have to do will become obscene and the company's expectations of ETA are completely unreasonable, especially during high peak traffic times. They will lead you to believe that you will be well supported and valued by the team; however you will eventually experience the polar opposite. You will rarely be acknowledged or appreciated for your work (except for the first few months), so if you need validation, expect it to come solely from your patients. Management is incredibly dysfunctional and lacks communication/professionalism. Job stability will rely on the census, which has not been ideal for many years (several individuals have been laid off or fired on the spot with no notice). Trust/loyalty is hard to come by, including through issues brought to the attention of HR, which are ultimately deferred back to management with serious repercussions.

Please read up in this company prior to job acceptance and know that so many lives have been negatively effected (physically and mentally) after working with Gentiva. There are even outstanding lawsuits against the company for Medicare fraud.
Pros
somewhat competitive salary, but not worth the driving
Cons
too many to list.
carry a crystal ball
rather not say (Former Employee) –  morehead cityMay 9, 2015
orientation- u r given a packet and told to figure out library computer and do online competency classes for weeks. then u travel along with whomever. they do this to say u were oriented a certain amount of time. u dont train on ur laptop til on ur own and the important clinical parameters and guidelines are not covered. until u r off orientation and do something "wrong" , then they start keeping track of all u are doing "wrong"and get labeled a " problem", so they do not assume the responsibility for ur ill- trained actions.
all clinicians- know ur licensure guidelines and contact ur governing body if in doubt. and if u see u r being asked to do something beyond ur scope or that they r restricting u from doing what u can- " for gentiva reasons", quit on the spot because u r going to b constantly baffled by what u should do.
time and money- u wont hav a life afterwork cause theres no way to get all done duting work hrs. and u dont get paid for it. the lowest mileage reimbursement around.
patient care- u will care but they wont. just about whatever they want to pass the blame onto you for.
coworkers- nursing helpful, therapists backstabbing to cover their own job security. they want u but only if u play by the wrong rules- and u will figure that out quickly. like high school cliques. they pass the buck answering questions which all turn out to b different, to avoid extra work and responsibility, or because they werent trained correctly and dont know; but they will act like they do.
Pros
nothing
Cons
all of the listed
company unappreciative of CNA's work, new hires wages higher then older employees wages
Certified Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXSeptember 10, 2015
A typical day at work begins very early in the morning, I usually have to wake my patient up gently and explain clearly and slowly to my patient what is about to take place (ADL's) and explain step by step what is to happen next to include the steps taken to dress my patient and prepare them for their day....if time permits I sit and visit with them to provide companionship and make them feel comfortable and not make them feel as they are a person and not just another warm body taking up space.
I have learned over the past 15 years just how much knowledge and history my patient has to share with anyone who is willing to take the time and listen and appreciate what they have to share.
it is vital to be a "team player" because we as health providers are in this field for the same reason....to take care of our elderly, especially for those patients who do NOT have family members who do not take the time to visit or care for their loved one.
The hardest part of my job is to say "good - bye" to our terminal patient when his/her time has come, and to also say "good-bye" to the family members who have welcomed you into their home for so long and made me a part of their family for whatever amount of time I spent with the family.
The most enjoyable part of my job has been usually when I first walk in and the patient greets me with a big smile...a warm hand shake, or just a certain look the patient gives me as o walk in.
Pros
being a team player.
Supportive work environment with room for advancement
RN Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Southborough, MAOctober 8, 2013
Each day can be different and although your day may be planned out in advance it can change at any moment. You may have planned on seeing certain patients but then you receive a phone call that one of your patients has a change in condition or there is a referral with possible admission. This position requires an individual to be very flexible and able to change entire day at a moments notice.

Being the RN case manager in this role is both challenging and rewarding. Working with patients that are on hospice and managing their end of life care can be quite a challenge. It requires the ability to manage their care in almost every aspect you can think of from medication management to patient/family education, pain/symptom management, and coordination of care

The hardest part of this job is the patient loss. We can have patients on hospice for several years and those relationships built with those individuals and their families can be strong and when they pass away that loss can be difficult.

At the same time the most enjoyable part of the job is working with these patients and their families and being help to help provide them with the best possible care at the end of their life.
Pros
diverse patient population, ability to spend more time with patients when needed.
Cons
being on-call. break time can be limited depending on the day.
More work than compensation (long hours of charting and communication, often unpaid); Poor management of personnel, office is disorganized; Turnover!
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  New Albany, MSNovember 15, 2013
I have had a horrible experience with Gentiva. I knew I was taking a salary cut, but it was going to be worth it (in theory) because I would have a flexible schedule and be home with my family more. Ha. My paycheck was cut by 2/3. My schedule is somewhat flexible, but must be changed with a phone call. And those hours at home are spent documenting, communicating, changing, correcting, and re-doing way too much. My kids hardly ever see me any more. Office personnel do not effectively communicate with each other or the field staff. Complaints are brushed off or rote explanations are given, but nothing changes (to the positive). This company pays their field nurses less than 1/5 of what they charge the patient/insurance for visits. NO training is given, employees basically "wing it" until they figure out (through trial and error and fixing their mistakes) what's going on. That is NOT effective use of time. A few minutes of real training is much more cost-effective than a few minutes of correcting a mistake that never should have been made. I could go on, but since I have nothing positive to add, it would be inundating. I love the patients, but I also have bills to pay.
Pros
i don't have to get up at 4:30 am anymore, and i still love my patients!
Cons
everything else.
RN Case Manger
RN Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Atlanta GeorgiaDecember 27, 2014
I love Hospice. I had worked in a hospital setting for 4 years and decided that it was time to move on as I was good and talking with families and letting them know when enough is enough. So I had started with Odyssey and loved my job every day and liked that I left positive memories with the family and patient. I was with them for 5 years. I then tried to go back in the acute care setting and it did not work well. my train of though had changed from working hospice. I have learned so much from hospice ex. the different levels of care , subq lines that I never knew you could do and then also learning that every family is different. I love working with my co workers I wish that I could spend more time with them but have learned to use my Chaplin, CM, SW when needed. The hardest part of the job is still have emotion but able to keep a wall up during the difficult times. I strongly believe that you are there for the family.
The most enjoyable part of my job is working with my families. I consider it a major reward that a family would allow me into their home and treat me like family. There are still several families that have me come over and help with their love ones while the work or etc.

The only thing that I wish that I had orientation on is Georgia paperwork as it is very different from Texas.

Thank you for considering me.
Pros
able to manage your own time
Cons
not enough breaks during the day