Gentiva Health Services Employee Reviews in United States

Great coworkers, entitled management
RN Case Manager Hospice (Current Employee) –  AlabamaApril 19, 2016
Truly value my time with coworkers out there trying to give the best experience to hospice patients and their families. The case managers generally try and take care of each other but burn out is evident. Morale is low and this is because management will threaten you, pile on more work, and never rescue their staff when overload happens. Text messages with all caps, multiple exclamation points, and innuendo do not a happy staff make.
Pros
Good pay, autonomy, loving field staff
Cons
management that have no intention of leaving the safety of their desks to provide support
Great company but as a nurse you have NO LIFE outside of work
CASE MANAGER (Former Employee) –  NCApril 19, 2016
Management and company are great but you have no personal life outside of work. You see patients all day then go home and document for hours at a time. Their form of communication is all e-mail so you better be on your tablet all the time or it gets lost in the shuffle. The benefits here are phenomenal though, lots to choose from, they even offer pet insurance which has been great. The only thing I would change is their communication style. Pick up a phone and call someone during the day.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Bad work life balance
Productive and professional place to work
Staffing Coordinator/payroll (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXApril 15, 2016
Great place to work, multitasking is a must in this field. Works with clients and providers on a daily basis. The most enjoyable part of my job is making a difference when it comes to my clients. The hardest part is keeping up with all the daily issues that you have to deal with on a daily basis. My co-workers are very professional even when we a rough day. We do have our ups and downs but we can always move pass it and move forward for a better tomorrow.
Pros
Great pay & fun eviroment
Cons
Hard to get time off to handle your personal matters
Family Oriented
Volunteer/Intern (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAApril 11, 2016
The staff within the agency environment is family oriented and warming. Visiting terminally ill patients and meeting patients are rewarding but can be emotionally draining I have learned to maintain boundaries with patients as as well as staff. Management commit to open communication with staff member if there are any suggestions or issues regarding patients. the most difficult part of the job is traveling between patient visits during peak times of traffic. The most enjoyable part of the job is providing emotional and social support to patients and families.
Pros
weekly interdisciplinary team meetings/ (discussions)
Cons
emotionally draining
Competent RN -admitting Nurse in home health and accomplishing OASIS accurately per state standard policy
RN - Start Of Care /Admitting Nurse (Current Employee) –  Stockton, CAMarch 31, 2016
> Does 3 start of care in a day and complete documentation on time per Medicare ruling.
> Hardest part of the Job is documentation and coordination
> Most enjoyable part of my Job is meeting different people in all walks of life and able to help them to cope up with their illnesses or any health problems within the scope of responsibilities.
Horrible Place
RN Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Dothan, ALMay 2, 2016
Worked there for 6 months, volunteered for extra hours to try and help out because they were so short-staffed; then when things got tough, they started cutting jobs. Management is horrible, only look out for themselves. Director has no loyalty to anyone but herself! Wouldn't recommend this place to anyone!
Pros
Good co-workers, bad managers.
Cons
12 hour days, multiple expectations, no appreciation, then expected to pull call.
Your job is your life
Staff Nurse (Current Employee) –  New Albany, MSMarch 27, 2016
The money is good but the work is all consuming. You have ridiculously difficult patient loads then spend your evening doing the paper work. You are required to do your mandatory training on your own time at home. They just pile more and more work on the staff and offer very little help.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
There is no limit to what your supposed to do in a work day, the office is very hands off with patient care, they offer very little assist with high patient loads and do not have a clue when enough is enough
Office staff always gets their hours, field staff, if its slow go home unpaid.
HHA/CNA (Former Employee) –  San Jose, CAApril 29, 2016
Worked their for many years, constant management change, managers acted like high school kids with their clicks, luckily my pts loved me. The plus side of this job flexible, nice coworkers and lovely pts who made my day.Benefits and pay were good enough to put up with the bad management.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Expensive benefits and sometimes hours cut short
Enjoyed the challenges and the patients
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOMarch 16, 2016
I managed an average of 12 cases at a time where home visits occupied the majority of my work day. I enjoyed working with our patients and assisting their family with their home health care. The doctors relied on my knowledge and expertise to keep them advised of our patient's progress and to clearly describe their state of health in order for the doctors to prescribe the necessary medications and treatment program.
Excellent job, decent benefits, complex work environment
LPN (Current Employee) –  Monroe, NCMarch 10, 2016
Love the autonomy and allowance to provide necessary service to the client. That however is restricted by poor work/life balance d/t extensive documentation often needing completion at home during family time. Must be available, weekends, holidays and on call. High turn over d/t stress, must have good organization skills to succeed. Clinicians are amazing and supportive, management is supportive but distant and often does not understand circumstances and stress.
Getting to set my own schedule with my clients at our convenience and see a change for the better in their lives and know that I was a huge part of that change.
Pros
Automony
Cons
Benefits recently reduced, unpredictable pay, Autonomy often means you are on your own totally
Poor company/employee relationship
Rehab Director (Former Employee) –  Hauppauge NYMarch 9, 2016
Having spent almost 6 years here I saw a significant and drastic change in the culture. With significant turnover of field staff and regular changes of the corporate structure there was a sense of distrust. The compensation model was flawed and punished good employee's at time's when productivity expectation couldn't be met.
Pros
Cons
most everything about the company
Great workplace with very good management
LPN (Former Employee) –  Lees Summit, MOMay 24, 2016
This workplace was one of my favorite. Excellent manager who was honest and appropriate with staff and delegation. Taught me excellent nursing skills that I continue to use to this day. Would not have left this company if I would not have moved to Florida, and was able to move to full time. Would strongly consider working for this company again.
Turnover rate is very high and to many changes, no statbility
Patient Care Secretary (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXMarch 14, 2016
Company doesn't give a sense of stability with the name changes, turnover (i.e management, employees, VP) just to name a few. Nothing is set in stone.. I feel as if I could go is each day and leave not having a job at 5p when I get off.
Pros
co workers are great and caring
Cons
upper management, is sneaky and not supportive as they say they are
Employees were mostly great, lots of stress.
Payroll Data Entry Clerk (Former Employee) –  Tacoma, WAMarch 5, 2016
For the better part of my employment the people were great, I looked forward to being there until my retirement. But during the last two years things got stressful throughout the company with lots of insecurities. The company is still there, so is the stress level per a current employee.
Pros
People were great.
Cons
Extreme stress, little down time.
Gentiva is a wonderful place to work.
Home Health Aide (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NCMay 14, 2016
Gentiva cares about their employees and the patients they serve. The pay is not great, but is competitive. My co-worker are wonderful. The hardest part of the job is the driving, I put about 150 miles on my car a day. The most enjoyable part of my job is seeing my patients.
Pros
Work independently.
Cons
Not consistent with hours of work.
Gentiva Account Executive
Account Executive (Former Employee) –  Fort Payne, ALFebruary 23, 2016
I had a wonderful experience with Gentiva. I began making sales calls in 3 counties in Alabama and by the time I left I was covering 5. I would highly recommend this company. The only reason I left was due to cutbacks on gas mileage reimbursement. I had an hour drive everyday.
Pros
Enjoyed working with people and selling home health and hospice services
Cons
long distance to work
RN (ppv) Hickory, NC
Home Health RN (Former Employee) –  Hickory, NCFebruary 3, 2016
I really enjoyed working with this company. They "invested" sufficient time thru the company system university to orient u to Gentivas' style of Home Health Care. The same can be said about "preceptor time." I actually learned several new treatment techniques, I was impressed ! The pay was good & weekly which helped a lot. Benefits were decent.

The biggest problem was no pay while completing mandatory company/CMS paperwork AFTER getting home. Usually anywhere from 4-6 hours! I "lost" a lot of pay d/t this situation! Even though this time spent was placed on my weekly time sheet, I didn't get paid for it! If it wasn't for this fact, I would probably still be working there.
Pros
Free CEU's; great coworkers; friendly management
Cons
See above; possible no lunch breaks on the road;
Caring and knowledgeable colleagues
Site Revenue Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Southfield, MIJanuary 22, 2016
Working in Hospice is truly a blessing. Obviously experiencing death is the most difficult part of the job. However knowing that dying is apart of living and the care that is provided at the end of life for hospice patients and their families is what brings the joy.

I learned valuable customer service skills during my tenure. In Hospice the saying is "you don't get a second chance at helping a family during a loved ones death".
Pros
Being apart of so many families
Cons
Family dynamics
career
Electronic Health Records Externship (Former Employee) –  Columbus, GAJanuary 19, 2016
american express was very knowledgable to work for doing customer service talking to customers letting them know their balances ordering their cards, exchanging their rewards poits for different services instead of using money
taco bell food industry taught me to have a lot patient with different personalities with the co-workers and customers
Pros
free meals
Cons
co-workers attitudes and walking out or not showing up on shift
Growing local branch with excellent employees and coworkers
RN (Current Employee) –  Cookeville, TNFebruary 16, 2016
Good overall company to work for. Gentiva was purchased by Kindred at home and marked corporate improvement seen from management and company. Recommend hospice for those willing to go the extra mile for your patients.
Pros
Always get at least 40 hours. Encourage education and time off
Cons
Overtime on occasion, drive time can be alot