Gentiva Health Services Employee Reviews

Excellent job, decent benefits, complex work environment
LPN (Current Employee) –  Monroe, NCMarch 10, 2016
Love the autonomy and allowance to provide necessary service to the client. That however is restricted by poor work/life balance d/t extensive documentation often needing completion at home during family time. Must be available, weekends, holidays and on call. High turn over d/t stress, must have good organization skills to succeed. Clinicians are amazing and supportive, management is supportive but distant and often does not understand circumstances and stress.
Getting to set my own schedule with my clients at our convenience and see a change for the better in their lives and know that I was a huge part of that change.
Pros
Automony
Cons
Benefits recently reduced, unpredictable pay, Autonomy often means you are on your own totally
RN (ppv) Hickory, NC
Home Health RN (Former Employee) –  Hickory, NCFebruary 3, 2016
I really enjoyed working with this company. They "invested" sufficient time thru the company system university to orient u to Gentivas' style of Home Health Care. The same can be said about "preceptor time." I actually learned several new treatment techniques, I was impressed ! The pay was good & weekly which helped a lot. Benefits were decent.

The biggest problem was no pay while completing mandatory company/CMS paperwork AFTER getting home. Usually anywhere from 4-6 hours! I "lost" a lot of pay d/t this situation! Even though this time spent was placed on my weekly time sheet, I didn't get paid for it! If it wasn't for this fact, I would probably still be working there.
Pros
Free CEU's; great coworkers; friendly management
Cons
See above; possible no lunch breaks on the road;
Poor company/employee relationship
Rehab Director (Former Employee) –  Hauppauge NYMarch 9, 2016
Having spent almost 6 years here I saw a significant and drastic change in the culture. With significant turnover of field staff and regular changes of the corporate structure there was a sense of distrust. The compensation model was flawed and punished good employee's at time's when productivity expectation couldn't be met.
Pros
Cons
most everything about the company
Case Manger
Case Manager-Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Kenosha, WIFebruary 1, 2016
Typical day starts at 8am, with a case load of patients from 6-8 depending on needs of company. Schedule changes frequently, charting is usually delayed by management of patient case load. Manage anywhere from 10-30 patients typically. Phone usage between calling management, physicians, ancillary team, family is a large portion of day. Need to be very organized and meticulous in record keeping. Typical day driving is anywhere from 4 hours or more. Usual time back to home is around 5-6PM , with usually a couple phone calls at home and hours of charting to do. On call phone for 7 days in a row, with no extra pay to go out to see patients, very little pay for being on call, and you get phone calls anytime of the night, and are expected to report everyday to the office the phone calls you received by 8am
Pros
Work is very personal with patient and rewarding
Cons
Time spent working and life balance is very unequal
Profit is all they care about
RN Staff (Current Employee) –  RGVJune 30, 2016
Horrible place to work. Unethical managers whose job is to profit and cut expenses at the expense of patient care. They demand employees only have 40 hrs at the end of the week yet call you and demand you see extra patients. Members of the sales team are paid in excess of 100k per year while the nurses and aides are doing all the hard work and grossly underpaid and bully them into working OT yet won't pay you for it. Shows you where their primary interests are. Sales reps are given large monthly bonuses and take referral sources out to eat at the best restaurants in town all on the company dime while aides and nurses struggle to find time to eat a decent lunch. Stay away from this company.
Pros
Cons
Unethical business practices, patient care takes the back seat
Your job is your life
Staff Nurse (Current Employee) –  New Albany, MSMarch 27, 2016
The money is good but the work is all consuming. You have ridiculously difficult patient loads then spend your evening doing the paper work. You are required to do your mandatory training on your own time at home. They just pile more and more work on the staff and offer very little help.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
There is no limit to what your supposed to do in a work day, the office is very hands off with patient care, they offer very little assist with high patient loads and do not have a clue when enough is enough
Great oportunities, hard to have good work/life balance as fulltime RN
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Augusta, GAJuly 12, 2016
Loved the patients and their families and helping bring support to them. Support team was awesome and hard working. Expectations were high to see patients and document and follow through on all changes in allowed time. Did receive compensation for documentation time, just hard to have time for life outside of work, documenting, and being on-call. Very thorough orientation.
Pros
opportunities for service, great relationships with patients, families, and care team members
Cons
didn't feel support from management to balance work/ life, company unable to hire and maintain enough nursing staff
Horrible management.
On Call Nurse (Former Employee) –  OhioAugust 10, 2016
Worked as an on call nurse for about 6 months. I had no hospice experience and they allowed me to shadow another on call nurse for two days as my orientation. Then they put me by myself!! After certain hours the managers wouldnt answer calls when I needed them. There is nothing more frustrating then being at a patients house who called because of an issue and not knowing what to do and no one will answer their phone. A few of the managers had no clue when you ask them questions. They were always changing paperwork and never kept the on call staff in the loop as to what was going on. When you went to them with complaints they did not care. Per Medicaid and Medicare guidelines their is criteria that patients have to meet to qualify for certain services. Managers would tell you to bring the patients onboard for these services knowing they did not meet the criteria. They are unethical and only care about the bottom line, making themselves money!!! It is a very cliquish and they lie.
Pros
Nothing.
Cons
Management is horrible, poor work and home life balance, unethical practices.
Open work environment, and very joyful and respectful people to work with.
Medical Assistant Extern (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TXSeptember 22, 2016
There was no typical day at work when it came to my externship with Gentiva Hospice. I was able to work in the office, out on the field visiting patients in multiple locations, or at their 24/7 outpatient clinic. I enjoyed working there during my externship, and was glad that I was able to make a difference in peoples lives. My coworkers were very respectful, and hardworking. I am glad that I had the opportunity to work with such fun, caring people. The hardest part of the job, i would say; was the organization of papers, files, and taking inventory for the supplies. The most enjoyable part of the job is visiting the patients, and being able to have music therapy with some of the patients. And to be able to see the change in their character, and see that the music triggers a certain memory which they cherished; it was quite rewarding really. It gave me a sense of pride and accomplishment.
Pros
Lunch was sometimes provided, the employees were very nice and helpful, the office was a clean/ organized environment
Cons
I had to use my own transportation to visit the patients.
Demanding and rewarding work
Hospice Specialist/Account Executive (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXOctober 23, 2015
Challenging service/solution to sell. Great group of sales and clinical professionals. I enjoy the opportunity to be out in the community every day.

There are many rewards in this industry, however after almost five years I am ready for a change
Pros
Satisfaction knowing that you are making the difference in the lives of the patients we are serving, opportunity to educate and empower the community to make educated healthcare decisions
Cons
Tough market, extremely competitive. Can be very demanding. Sometimes difficult to find a work-life balance
Bullying is encouraged.
LVN Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 5, 2016
Worked for this company 2 different times with a total of 9 years with them. I've seen them change names, been hostile taken over by kindred and I've seen management come and go. The current management encourages co-workers to bully co-workers. Example I had been attacked while in call, no workers comp coverage forget that I took time off to get all my marbles again and this co-worker went through the entire staff stating" she didn't get attacked she just wanted the time off." Filed a formal grievance after being constantly confronted by then and it never got resolved. Called the compliance line still waiting for a resolution.....now what kind of attorney would believe or even take a case like this? This is the San Diego California office that I used to work @ I gave notice and booked out of there.I still don't know what to do with the mental abuse I endured. However there will be repercussions as I am interviewing attorneys as I write this.
Cons
Understaffed, bullying of other nurses, management ignores even formal grievances.
Big Company, big heads
Home Health LPN (Former Employee) –  Bradenton, FLJuly 28, 2016
This company used to be great to work for until it went under new management. Then as usual everyone thought they knew what was best and forgot the real reason why nurses have jobs...patients!!! There was so much extra stuff and micromanaging that it was nearly impossible to take proper care of your patients. Sad. If the management changed I would go back in a heartbeat. The rest of the staff was AMAZING!
Pros
good pay, benefits
Cons
management, not a "defined" area you worked in, changed according to how people in charge felt about you ;(
Emotional abuse and manipulation
Therapist (Former Employee) –  TallahasseeOctober 6, 2015
Everyone is basically a new employee and everyone is miserable. Just saying that the corporation is disorganized would be a complete understatement. Your supervisors (of which I had several) will bully you and your colleagues. The right hand doesn't know what the left is doing 24/7. The harder I tried the worse it got. Several times I could hear someone crying in the director's office. Several times the director would call everyone into a meeting and then shout about what a terrible job we were doing. That's always great for morale. I encountered unprofessional and belittling behavior constantly via email and over the phone. Your caseload will be greater than you can manage. Patient care is less important than how many people you can see a day. I had so many patient's tell me that someone came in the door just as fast as they went out. That's not what I would want my loved one to face when in need. Quantity over quality. This is a toxic work environment and only breeds more negativity. This is only a job I would take if NOTHING else were available.
Pros
Salary
Cons
No work/life balance. Poor communication. High turnover.
Awesome Director, under management terrible and does mot support patient needs ot medical staff
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Athens, ALAugust 14, 2016
Great Director! Terrible secondary management and undermine director, staff and patients. Regional and Adminstration of Regional Office aware nothing done support or help. Salary seems great until they work you down to really making minimum wage and patients schedules thrown off daily so medical staff and patients suffer because of lower management incompatiency
Turnover rate is very high and to many changes, no statbility
Patient Care Secretary (Current Employee) –  Dallas, TXMarch 14, 2016
Company doesn't give a sense of stability with the name changes, turnover (i.e management, employees, VP) just to name a few. Nothing is set in stone.. I feel as if I could go is each day and leave not having a job at 5p when I get off.
Pros
co workers are great and caring
Cons
upper management, is sneaky and not supportive as they say they are
Stay out of the office politics. Stay out of the office as much as possible.
Spiritual Care Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNOctober 6, 2015
There is no job security. In 3 months, 3 personnel were dismissed and 5 personnel resigned. PRN served as a full-time employee for nine months with a caseload of 60+, when position was advertised, it was given to a person outside of company with less pastoral experience. There are no opportunities for promotions.
Pros
The ability to work with patients and family members.
Cons
Management has no concern for personnel. If an employee is not favored by management, they will be dismissed and/or forced to resign.
Great job; Made harder by Management
Medical Social Worker (Current Employee) –  Piscataway, NJJanuary 8, 2016
My work day consists of a combination of calling patients and their families, making patient visits, documentation.

I have learned that there is not always a connection between dedication to ones patients and management's desire to put patients first.

Best part of day - visiting patients.
My co- workers are extremely dedicated and congenial. Too bad the management is not the same.

Hardest part of job is when my patients pass away.

I've learned that no one is indespensible.
Pros
Great work and colleagues.
Cons
Management is not well trained.
Hard working group of dedicated health care professionals serving in the home care setting
Area Administrator & Branch Director (Former Employee) –  Liverpool, NYSeptember 1, 2016
The employees were outstanding in caring for home care patients; it was an honor to work with everyone in all disciplines.
Further, it was very gratifying knowing the progress made clinically and in our patient's quality of life.
No two days were the same and I enjoyed the variety of work.
Pros
Gratifying work
Cons
Many hours worked each day
Family Oriented
Volunteer/Intern (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAApril 11, 2016
The staff within the agency environment is family oriented and warming. Visiting terminally ill patients and meeting patients are rewarding but can be emotionally draining I have learned to maintain boundaries with patients as as well as staff. Management commit to open communication with staff member if there are any suggestions or issues regarding patients. the most difficult part of the job is traveling between patient visits during peak times of traffic. The most enjoyable part of the job is providing emotional and social support to patients and families.
Pros
weekly interdisciplinary team meetings/ (discussions)
Cons
emotionally draining
Difficult for sales team to anticipate care giver potential
Regional Sales Director (Former Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJune 1, 2016
Most work appears to be getting as much medicare business as possible under the guise of "what's best for the patient" . No chain of command. If sales reps didn't like doing what they were trained to do the usual reaction was to complain to top management. Top management let this happen and did a poor job of communicating this information.
Pros
Very few
Cons
Sales Bonus tied to ability of Nurses and therapists completing care which happened infrequently

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Gentiva Health Services. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7