Gentiva Health Services

Gentiva Health Services Employer Reviews

Growth company with a passion for patients
Vice President, Training and Development (Current Employee), Atlanta, GaFebruary 3, 2015
Gentiva is an aggressively growing company both organically and through acquisitions. The service offerings are Home Health, Hospice and Community Care.

This company provides a bridge for the patient and family from acute care to post acute care in their home setting. Gentiva has great clinicians that are passionate and dedicated to providing quality care to their patients.

Gentiva's teams are diverse in culture, experience and education which benefits the patient in clinical depth and expertise.
huge turn over, uncompassionnate upper management
RN field staff (Former Employee), Austin, TXJanuary 29, 2015
Pros: good training/continuing ed
Cons: cold hearted upper management
I haven't worked with Gentian since 2004 so keep that in mind. However, while reading the other feedback I cant help but tell of my experiences...most negative. The worst part as a FT RN was that I was worked into a state of complete exhaustion. Besides working all day we had to take on call that evening , often requiring me to just keep driving out at all hours doing more admissions til 10pm!!
Eventually I was so overworked that I injured my shoulder on the job... when I showed up in a sling and in pain, I was completely ignored by management... I filled out the forms but received no follow up. Years later my injury has become chronic... thank you Gentiva!
I couldn't wait to leave this job!
The two positives were nice coworkers and a very good continuing education system.
Terrible place to work. Hope Kindred looks at Management
RN, Intake Specialist (Former Employee), Winston-Salem, NCJanuary 28, 2015
Pros: i enjoyed the actual work.
Cons: management, no policies & rules, changing hours on a dime. not paid for all the over time.
They over work you. Under pay you. Don't appreciate you. If you aren't liked by the "it" people you might as well forget it. No matter what you do it's going to be wrong. They don't train you properly. They change the rules every other day. No set policies. It's whatever they make up that day. I'm glad I don't work there anymore. It's a shame. I was hoping to hang in there & see if Kindred would take over & clean house. Which they need to do.
Enjoy working at Gentiva
Workers' Compensation Analyst (Current Employee), Atlanta, GAJanuary 27, 2015
Enjoy working for Gentiva, but the company was recently purchased and job was eliminated. Given a reasonable amount of time to find a new position.
No Advancement
I.T. Helpdesk (Contractor) (Former Employee), Overland Park, KansasJanuary 25, 2015
Gentiva was recently bought out by Kindred and is in the process of layoffs and would not recommend looking for employment there.
Staff (Former Employee), MissouriJanuary 22, 2015
Pros: co-workers, flexible hours, no on call, food
Cons: manipulation, cheap company, poor communication
When I came onboard, the company was Odyssey. It was a leading provider of hospice in our market and people wanted to work for the company. Then Gentiva came along. Zero collaboration between home health and hospice. Gentiva does not know how to run hospice and it shows, especially in declining census. As many reviewers have said, focus is on money and not patient care. A dysfunctional culture exists at this branch, but the field and office staff are what make it worthwhile. Most genuinely care. Some managers are clueless. Varying levels of accountability depending on who you are. Work hard and never complain? That just means you get more work, same pay, and zero authority to do your job. Some great opportunities exist and I will miss that. With the Harden acquisition and Kindred takeover, it seems more of the same will follow. I hope, for the sake of those I care about, that things can somehow return to the glory days of Odyssey. There are too many middle managers, except in areas that matter (such as support services). I have offered my opinions on how to improve this branch and the company but I guess I am too lowly to matter. I would welcome the opportunity to actually make systemic changes in the system but I am not holding my breath.
Productive workplace, enjoyed the job
Medical Records Coordinator (Former Employee), San Diego, CAJanuary 21, 2015
Pros: early hours, kept busy all day, supportive co-workers
Cons: no advancement, no raise in 3 years. changes in management.
Very busy Medical Records office, non-stop paperwork and filing. Enjoyed working with my fellow co-workers, very caring and supportive.
Great office staff
Reimbursement Specialist-Central Intake (Former Employee), Tampa, FLJanuary 21, 2015
Great team work and operated as a unit. I enjoyed my time with Gentiva.
Horrible management - unethical and illegal corporate practices
Hospice nurse (Former Employee), West allis wisconsinJanuary 11, 2015
This company is very poorly run on the corporate level and locally - very little care is given good patient care - more about the dollars - HUGE amount of turnover - on all levels - unstable and poor care results - shady shady shady practices go on here
Slow technological changes
CUSTOMER SUPPORT ANALYST (Current Employee), Overland Park, KSJanuary 11, 2015
Pros: good working wnvironment
Cons: healthcare benefits
Not the best - but as a job, it is stable and I am able to pay mortage payments and other bills.

I am looking for more challenges and advancement.
good company
Account Executive (Current Employee), FLJanuary 6, 2015
solid company to work for. fast-paced work environment. good people employed by Gentiva
Still uses paper
Patient Care Secretary (Former Employee), Denton, TXJanuary 5, 2015
Very busy office. Everyone has a job to do and they do it. You need to know what you are doing because not much training
Great benefits, shady company
Admission's Coordinator (Former Employee), Terre Haute, INJanuary 5, 2015
Pros: benefits
Cons: high turn over
Constant turn over in staff. Great benefits. Shady company with minimal training and education.
excellent group of therapists
Occupational Therapist Registered/Licensed (Former Employee), Crestview, FLJanuary 4, 2015
Busy work environment with a push for productivity. Excellent company regarding following rules and regulations.
Terrible management communication
RN Case Manager (Former Employee), AlabamaJanuary 3, 2015
Pros: decent pay
Cons: everything else
Loved many of the people in the office, but the politics were crazy. No raises ever. They do not care about your family, which you never see thanks to unreasonable hours and on call. I worked for the hospice side and would never recommend them to anyone. Was told more than once to leave a dying patient so I could do an admission. No compassion even though they so hypocritically sell themselves as such.
Productive Woprkplace
Care Team Coordinator (Current Employee), Charlotte NCDecember 30, 2014
• Attends morning meeting everyday at 9am
o Goes through Billing report with schedulers and Nursing Managers to ensure what patients were opened to obtain FTF.
• Calls MD office‘s to get FTF visit dates for patients who do not have a FTF visit date in Unity.
• Run PPS billing report to review outstanding claims.
• Track in incoming orders periodically through the day via Order tracking report in GentivaLink
• Follow up orders not returned within two week timeframe in order tracking report
• Upload signed orders into patients chart for billing.
• Maintaining clinician daily schedules
• Tracking medical service orders in and out for billing
• Billing medical supplies
• Administrative support for clinicians
Will work you to death!
RN Case Manager (Former Employee), Anywhere, KansasDecember 29, 2014
Pros: nothing
Cons: everything
When Gentiva took over EVERYTHING went down hill!! Very demanding and constantly on call. Expected nurses to market. Management very unprofessional. There is so many things wrong with this company can't even began to go into everything. Do not work for them or use their services!!
RN Case Manger
RN Case Manager (Former Employee), Atlanta GeorgiaDecember 27, 2014
Pros: able to manage your own time
Cons: not enough breaks during the day
I love Hospice. I had worked in a hospital setting for 4 years and decided that it was time to move on as I was good and talking with families and letting them know when enough is enough. So I had started with Odyssey and loved my job every day and liked that I left positive memories with the family and patient. I was with them for 5 years. I then tried to go back in the acute care setting and it did not work well. my train of though had changed from working hospice. I have learned so much from hospice ex. the different levels of care , subq lines that I never knew you could do and then also learning that every family is different. I love working with my co workers I wish that I could spend more time with them but have learned to use my Chaplin, CM, SW when needed. The hardest part of the job is still have emotion but able to keep a wall up during the difficult times. I strongly believe that you are there for the family.
The most enjoyable part of my job is working with my families. I consider it a major reward that a family would allow me into their home and treat me like family. There are still several families that have me come over and help with their love ones while the work or etc.

The only thing that I wish that I had orientation on is Georgia paperwork as it is very different from Texas.

Thank you for considering me.
Good company to work for.
Home health case manager (Current Employee), Oklahoma City, OklahomaDecember 22, 2014
Gentiva is a great home health provider and has allowed me to learn many new areas in my nursing career.
Giving Quality care to home bound patients through staff excellence and compasion
Field Nurse (Former Employee), Salisbury NC covering Rowan CountyDecember 15, 2014
Pros: strong nursing supervisors, supportive team members, hours are flexible, benefit and compensation packages are immediate and far reaching for new employees.
Cons: long unpaid hours, micromanagement by branch director in all aspects of nursing care. frequent policy changes
At Gentiva, the disciplines of nursing, physical and occupational therapies provide home care services for adult patients. All team members are highly trained and knowledgeable, offering patients a full team approach to care.

About Gentiva Health Services

Gentiva Health Services is a gentle giant. As one of the nation's largest home health care and hospice services firms, the company – Read more

Gentiva Health Services Photos