Genzyme Employee Reviews in United States

very good physical enviroment and people are warm and welcoming
Senior Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, MAMay 4, 2015
I am located in the company headquarters in Cambridge. It is an extremely peaceful and healthy environment. The individuals that I interact with are professional, polite and eager to welcome new employees/contractors. It is a great feeling of teamwork and they emphasize respecting employees and contractors. Anyone blessed enough to be hired at Genzyme is extremely fortunate. The hardest part of the job for me is also the easiest part of the job and that is logistics and communication. I love to multi-task and have had multiple opportunities to use my skills in my position. I am an avid event planner and have had the pleasure of working with an event planning team that is / has been outstanding.
Pros
Cafeteria on site, Building is outstanding
Cons
On-boarding might take some time
People I work with are very nice
Quality Assurance Specialist (Current Employee) –  Northborugh, MADecember 9, 2013
People I work with are very nice. Company has very good benefits.
Re Organization Announced
Regional Accounts Director (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, MAJuly 29, 2015
Global restructuring announced. Cautious of what impact that will have on the Genzyme affiliate here in US. Could change the culture of our business unit.
Pros
biotech heritage
Cons
owned by a French Company
They offer a great benifits package.
Lab Animal Technologist lll (Former Employee) –  Framingham, MaSeptember 19, 2012
They offer a lot of training and educational advancement. It is a fast paced environment with a wide variety of projects to work on. The culture is very company specific, geared towards friendlyness.
Pros
good people, very friendly
Cons
not a very strong upper management team, the rules tend to change frequently and depends on who you speak to.
Fun place to be employed, great benefits, great corporate culture
Senior Clinical Sales Specialist (Former Employee) –  Long Beach, CAJune 29, 2015
Call on doctors to promote specialty products, work transversely with partners, develop and execute business plans, comply with regulatory, lunch n learns.
Pros
Helping patients with unmet needs
Great workplace Enviroment
Manufacturing Assistant II (Former Employee) –  Ridgefield, NJJanuary 18, 2015
A typical day at work included line production. Pulling products from warehouse for next projects according to FDA. Storage and preparation of product for scientist. Daily training of GMP(Good Manufacturing Practices) through online coursework and classroom training. The co workers were a diversity of cultures. The hardest part of the job was the sporadic changes of hours. The most enjoy part of the job was the constant training.
Pros
state of the art break room and locker room
Cons
sporadic work hours
Friendly and diversed employees and good working environment, easily accessible to Red line
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, MAMay 10, 2012
I have been a contractor at Genzyme since 10/11 to present and so far it appears to be a great place to work.

The only concern I have at the moment is employment stability. Since Genzyme has been acquired by Sanofi and is still going through an integration period, I feel very uncertain about employment stability and what direction the company is going in.

The company overall is a nice place to work, great people to work with and a very pleasant environment which I like.
Pros
free, coffee, tea, milk, cream, beverages, inexpensive cafeteria, flexible schedule, managers appreciate their admins regularly, nice size cubes and no micro-management
Cons
company's stability in question, low moral, the unknown
Genzyme Review
HVAC Engineer II (Current Employee) –  Framingham, MAJuly 7, 2014
A typical day at work
A typical day can be either 100 % busy or very slow.

What you learned
I have learned a great deal about time and work management working at Genzyme.
Also, in addition to Engineering skills I have learned a bit about leadership and project management.

Communication at genzyme between upper management and Employees can be shaky at times.

your co-workers
I have not had any issues with co-workers.

the hardest part of the job
The commute to the job was hard.

Also, since genzyme is a Pharmaceutical company the documentation and training was hard to deal with at times.

The most enjoyable part of the job
Working on actual Engineering projects.
good and challenge place to work
Project Coordinator/Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Westborough, MAMay 23, 2015
Work is 24/7, with timelines that are almost impossible to attain. Great company to work with. Collaborative environment. The hardest issue is that the technical experts and subject matter experts are over resourced, so it is difficult to complete a project within the specified parameters.
everyone at genzyme feels the good days of this company has passed
Lab (Former Employee) –  Allston, MAJune 1, 2015
everyone at genzyme feels the good days of this company has passed. This company at this time is just making money off of the drug they have on the market. They are not really looking to grow just maintain.
What great opportunity for quality personnel to gain the experience of working at a biotech facility under FDA consent decree.
Quality Assurance Senior Compliance Specialist (Former Employee) –  Fall River, MANovember 29, 2012
Genzyme Corporation has been innovative in developing therapies for small patient populations. These patients would have had nowhere else to turn and are enjoying a quality of life because of what Genzyme does. Being involved with a company in consent decree allowed the quality staff some great experience. I wouldn't trade that experience for any other work experience that I have had over my career.
Pros
great quality experience to be a part of an organization in consent decree.
Cons
lack of flexibility on the work schedule.
Everyone is miserable at Genzyme
Associate Director, Global Cell Bank Manufacturing (Former Employee) –  Framingham, MAJuly 9, 2014
The management culture at Genzyme focuses on driving people into the ground. There is no emphasis on development, innovation, or putting people in the right positions to succeed. Most people who I worked with were stressed beyond belief trying to manage too many priorities, while there were others in the organization who coasted.
Overall a good Company
Manufacturing Technician (Former Employee) –  Framingham, MAApril 22, 2015
Fast pace work, co-workers are good. The company is overall a good place to work. The hrs. are long but enjoyable. The management is good to work with and flexible.
Fired the day after Christmas due to budget cuts! Sanofi has ruined Genzyme
Clinical Trial Administrator (Current Employee) –  Cambridge, MADecember 31, 2012
The company is a complete mess since the hostile takeover in 2011. Budgets are now at the mercy of Sanofi (who treats Genzyme like a baby at the nipple) and they give you very little advance notice when things change (namely layoffs!). I sincerely hope Genzyme becomes Sanofi's money pit and their losses outweigh any sort of gain! Bigger they are harder they fall...
Management is null. My team was unaware of my layoff until I called them. Pointless communication chains. Don't even bother with the questions or comments- they don't go anywhere.
I wouldn't bother applying unless you need a temporary job or experience. The only way Sanofi seems to be profiting from Genzyme is by cutting them out of the equation all together and taking their patents. I doubt "Genyzme" will exist by the end of this decade....
Pros
no ones really seems to care what's going on there.
Cons
if you're a person who has pride in thier work and would like it to be rewarded stay far away.
Great people to work with,Facilities are dated
Senior Manufacturing Associate (Former Employee) –  Framingham MaNovember 7, 2014
Typical day at work was a 15 min morning meeting between shifts to discuss what was achieved during the last process shift, any deviations, equipment issues. The shift schedule would then be discussed and technicians assigned. This meeting was repeated at the end of the process day.

I learned to interact with the many departments required to get the work done, for example maintenance and metrology. I also learned how to perform preventive maintenance on columns, process skids and valves which I had not been exposed to before.

my management team was very supportive and always acknowledged when the team had done well. They of course would bring concerns when deviations occurred but always listened to the team to find the root cause

My co-workers was a diverse group. I worked well with everybody. I was a primary trainer in all the process steps and column packing. went on nights for 3 -4 months to train new shifts

Hardest part of the job was adapting to unavoidable last minute schedule changes

I enjoyed working with my team, sharing my knowledge with others and knowing that the products we made improved patients lives
Excellent work environmet, great team.
Global Safety Medical Reviewer (Consultant) (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MAOctober 10, 2014
Great company to work with. Worked remotely reported
to office one week of the month. Worked with a great team that were available for assistance 24/7.

A typical days work included but not limited to:
Perform medical review of clinical trial and post-market pharmacovigilance narratives for each case and perform review of literature publications to identify valid adverse drug event reaction report. Create reports to ensure medical content and MedDRA coding and for reporting requirements, participate in preparation of safety reports to regulatory agencies and partner companies. Serve as a subject matter expert and medical resource for continuous improvement projects within Drug Safety in collaboration with other groups.
Pros
the availability to work remotely
Stay Away!!
Facilities (Former Employee) –  Lynnwood, WashingtonAugust 26, 2013
The employees there are great, but some departments do not work well with others and don't support fully the expectations of teamwork.

Management likes to pass the buck too much.

My Manager took way too much time off, came in late, left early.

HR was useless for any conflict resolution.

Good old boys attitude.

They keep so-called "temps" working there for years never making them permanent employees.

But they do have some great employees that were a joy to work with.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
very poor management, lack of support, my manager took way too much time off and was hardly there for decision making, passed the buck t
Excellent, strong positive value-drive company.
Pharmaceutical Technician (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MANovember 1, 2013
Genzyme develops critical, specific medications for a small segment of the population. They donate a percentage of their efforts to research and funding those who can't help themselves. The environment is clean, orderly, regulated. Management is stable and fair. I would have stayed on, but needed to join my fiancee in her hometown.
Pros
nice environment. stable company with a humanitarian mission statement and great management.
Cons
sometimes stressful. all-nighters required at times, but not very often.
very profesional, met a lot of great people. Learned plenty of new things.
Buffer Operations - Sr Manufacturing Technician (Former Employee) –  Allston, MAJanuary 30, 2013
Got to work met with the prior shift and discussed the schedule and turn-around needed for the shift. Had the opportunity to cross train in different departments. Management was always available and the co-workers were helpful. The hardest thing was getting thru the 12 hour shift cause at times your body or mind would just be exhausted. I enjoyed learning all the different processes and meeting a lot of new people.
Frustrating
Documentation Specialist (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJanuary 18, 2015
Poor cooperate environment in terms of cooperation and sharing of information. Departments don't communicate with one another and there does not seem like there is enough room for advancement given the current situation.