George Junior Republic

George Junior Republic Employer Reviews

Would not recommend!
Treatment Team Coordinator (Former Employee), Grove City, PANovember 20, 2014
Pros: great health benefits!
Cons: long hours, no compensation for ot for salaried employees, no raises, liability from kids acting out
So much to say, but I don't want to bore you honestly. The rest of the SW/TTC reviews on this site say it all. Despite the excellent benefit package GJR provides, there is little that can compensate for all the duties assigned to this position. There is NO way that you can perform this job in 40 hours per week, despite what the QC officer says after performing an "audit" of job duties/performances. They do expect documentation to be in on time and tell you that "since so and so can do it, so can you". They DO communicate that "if you don't like it you can leave".... and that's exactly what I did. Although I did express numerous times to my boss that I didn't think I could take it anymore and she convinced me to "hang in there". I couldn't take any more of the 20 hour trips to court and then coming back to mounds of work that I was already behind on. I honestly liked most of the unit directors. I truly believed that they wanted to do more for us than they were "allowed", so most of the scrutiny and unrealistic expectation was not from them, but from higher up. Good luck during State Assessments! There is little room for advancement in this company. There are a lot of people there with seniority and/or preferential status, sooo unless you get in really good with someone its not likely to happen for quite some time. I really wanted to like working here. its a beautiful campus, with lots of great people working, but my family means much more to me than just being able to keep the health benefits! I had to follow my heart on this one. Not worth the time if you have a family or any kind of life!
Treatment Team Coordinator
Treatment Team Coordinator (Current Employee), Grove City, PAJune 6, 2014
Pros: free lunches in housing unit
Cons: salary and organizational culture
George Junior Republic has an excellent benefits package through PPO Blue Cross Blue Shield, but the salaries are very underwhelming, and to keep up with the paperwork load 50plus hour weeks are often required, although you will only e compensated for 40 hrs per week due to being a "salaried employee." Opportunities for advancement exist in the hierachy. You will be given fairly free reign without micromanagement, which has its benefits and drawbacks. The clientele is very diverse and challenging, and there is a wealth of job security, since the organization is private non-profit, and not dependent upon the federal or state government budget. 401 k is offered through Vangaurd. George Junior will match up to 6 percent for the first three years of employment and then at 9 percent to the emplyee's 6 percent investment.
This place was more than just a place to work
Night Security (Former Employee), Grove City, PAMarch 3, 2014
Pros: it was very enjoyable to work with the youths
Cons: it was more than 30 miles from home.
I loved the people I worked with . Environment in which I worked was more like family, I could not say enough good about it. I usually got to work half and hour early than was expected of me so I could walk to my assigned unit. My job was to check on the youths every half hour and to call in.
A safe place for troubled youth to learn behavior modification.
Clinical Manager (Current Employee), Grove City, PAJanuary 14, 2014
Pros: free meals, healthcare and benefits, consistent hours and overtime if wanted
Cons: no breaks, poor micromanaging
George Junior Republic provides troubled youth with the opportunity to grow as young adults. We provide care for youth under the categories of juvenile probation and designated home services. While at George Junior Republic youth go to school, perform daily tasks such as typical household chores, life skill training, and anger management therapy. As a Clinical Manager, I oversee eleven youth in the Special Needs 12 Unit. I work with one other Clinical Manager, an aide, and my Treatment Team Coordinator. Together we provide behavior modification for the youth in our unit as they go through their daily routine. I have learned more about the developmental process of a youth than in any other setting. The most enjoyable part of my job is helping youth move through and learn from failures in their past or present. The hardest part of my job is managing crisis situations in which youth become harmful to themselves and others.
Group home for at-risk youth.
Domestic Engineer (Former Employee), Gas City, INDecember 12, 2013
Basic "Mom" duties: cooking, supervising youth while they did household chores, transporting to and from appointments, maintaining contact with parents, counselors, supervisor, etc.
good experience working with at risk youth
Clinical Manager (Current Employee), Grove City, PANovember 30, 2013
Pros: free lunch, good experience
Cons: very low pay, quick turn around
George Junior is a perfect out of college job. supplies good experience with paperwork and people skills. working with at risk youth helped shape me into a more mature person. overall george junior is an excellent starter job, but due to very poor pay and the in ability to progress within the company it causes for a large amount of job turn around.
Productive, Altruistic workplace
Clinical Manager's Aide (Current Employee), Grove City, PANovember 26, 2013
Pros: free food
The Clinical Manager is the primary child-care personnel for the Special Needs Units. This position is designed to provide the daily services of security, safety and structure to the residents. The care, custody and supervision of the youth are primary concerns of the job.

I work 1-9 with the kids almost every day of the week. I have great co-workers and we make a great team. The hardest part of my job is not being able to take the kids off campus. The most enjoyable part is when a kid wants me to meet their family; it means a lot to me.
takes a special person
Clinical Manager (Former Employee), Grove City, PAOctober 30, 2013
working with youth in the justice system takes a toll on you but when a youth gets and completes the program its all worth it
Safe environment with staff ready to assist in case of an Emergency
Clinical Manager (Current Employee), Grove City, PAOctober 14, 2013
While working with at-risk youth sometimes situations can be very touch and
Co-workers were only good part of this place
Clinical Manager (Former Employee), Grove City, PASeptember 26, 2013
Pros: other clinical managers, benefits
Cons: unit directors, campus supervisors, pay, shift work, 16 hr weekend days
The insurance was low cost and actually pretty good. Lots of overtime available in unit and at other buildings if interested in working it. Co-workers were awesome to be around, but unit directors as a group were pretty incompetent and only care about perception of GJR and not employee morale. They tell you one thing then and quickly recant. I was told multiple times during staff meetings "I didn't say this but ...." And the advice was always to tell us to restrain a kid for basically no reason.
Management has their priorities all wrong when it comes to employees. They have their favorites and frown on hard workers within their buildings. They care only about perception and don't do investigations when the court placed youth make insane accusations against staff. Just discipline staff even when other staff can verify the kid was lying.
Was told once by CEO in a Christmas bonus letter that we were basically lucky to get $110 for a bonus but the company donated over $200,000 to the school district for a computer lab and are constantly tearing down perfectly acceptable buildings to build new ones so they bring in more special needs kids which they can charge more money for than 'normal' kids.
I could go on and on but overall, a poor place to work due to higher ups.
Low pay
Clinical Manager (Current Employee), Grove City, PAJuly 31, 2013
Low pay, management undervalues its workers. Poor hours and stressful environment. Good job for starting out after college but not a career.
Enjoyable but not reliable
Evening Security Guard (Former Employee), Grove City, PAJuly 29, 2013
I worked mid-nights from 11pm-7am doing security. We had to make rounds every half hour and make a call to let them know that everything was okay or what was going on. I was not put back on the schedule after taking a week off for our wedding and because I had some back problems but was released to go back to work shortly after. I kept calling my work to get back on the schedule and they said they would put me back on and when I would go in the next day I wasn't on the schedule. I enjoyed my work there and wish that they would have put me back on the schedule.
Stressful
Social Worker (Former Employee), Grove City, PAJuly 7, 2013
Pros: able to build relationships with clients over a long period of time, residential setting allows one to see client progress and growth, crisis intervention experience, vast array of clients and mental health cases available to you
Cons: not compensated for long hours, high stress / crisis environment, clinical supervision is greatly lacking, dual roles with clients
Management works on a reactive philosophy rather than a proactive one. Counselors here are underpaid, overworked, and required to give extra hours but not compensated. They fill the roles of social worker, therapist, court advocate, transportation coordinator, and clinical manager but are not acknowledged for the expertise that they may be able to provide. Upper management has the mentality and has stated "if they don't it like they can leave" rather than address morale issues, reduce / reorganize workload responsibilities, or improve quality of care for the clients.
Decent job to start out of school
Clinical Manager (Current Employee), Grove City, PAJuly 1, 2013
Job isnt bad at all. The only bad thing would be the pay. Excellent benefits, but if you're looking long term, this is not the job for you.
Bad Place to work
Clinical Manager (Current Employee), Grove City, PAApril 22, 2013
Pros: co-workers
low pay, stressful. good management and co-workers make it bearable
Frontline Employees Treated Like Second-rate Citizens
Social Behavioral Counselor/CP-A (Current Employee), Grove City, PAApril 18, 2013
No raises, not even cost of living. Excellent Benefits, and great perks, but only after the youth are done with them (i.e. horseback riding, gym)
worked with at-risk youth
Clinical Manager (Former Employee), Grove City, PAMarch 26, 2013
monitor youth behavior in units. make sure youth do their assigned chores. may have to restrain youth at times when they get out of line.
Good place to work with friendly staff
Childcare Worker/Evening Security (Current Employee), Grove City, PASeptember 9, 2012
A typical night of work includes checking rooms to make sure youth are still there every 25 mins. keeping log book and calling front desk every 25 mins to assure that unit is secure. Sometimes getting youth up and ready for departures to court hearings. Making breakfast 1 month out of the year for religion purposes. hardest part of the job is staying up all night. 11-7 shift is rough. The people i work with are very nice and easy to get along with.
A good place to work to learn team leadership skills
Clinical Manager Supervisor (Current Employee), Grove City, PaApril 16, 2012
Pros: job security
Cons: shift work, low compensation, little opportunity for advancement
I supervise clinical managers on an 8 hour shift. I monitor the safety and security of the youth at the facility. I write daily reports on the youth as well as run various group therapies. I have learned over the years how to work well others in a team setting. I get along well with my co-workers and enjoy working with them. The hardest part of the job is having a schedule that changes often. The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing the success of the youth progress through our motivational system.
Social Doctor for at Risk Adolescents
Caseworker for emotionally disturbed teenagers (Former Employee), Ithaca, NYApril 16, 2012
Pros: first job
Cons: really were none
The George Junior Republic in Ithaca, New York served as a home, school and training program for adjudicated juveniles. They came from several states so they were far from home. They all came very angry. Some liked the program which was run by the youth in a Republic format. Others continued to act out and ran away. The campus was open. I saw a caseload of twenty adolescents weekly and wrote notes. There were many other volunteer hours spent at the Republic. After two years they decided to hire MSW's which I was not at the time. The therapy approach was milieu therapy so that by living, working and going to school, young adults were supposed to have a stable environment to developed goals for their future.