George Junior Republic Employee Reviews in United States

Fast paced work environment
Clinical Manager Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Grove City, PAFebruary 25, 2016
Most days one is able interact in a positive way with adjudicated delinquents. I learned the difference from being book smart to street smart. Management let us do what we wanted but policy ran the company. Some were able to handle the hostile conditions but some quickly figured out they could not handle the position. Hardest part of the job is being consistant and most enjoyable part is hearing thank you from the youth.
Pros
ability to switch schedules
Cons
no work breaks due to nature of the job
n/a
Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  Grove City, PANovember 19, 2015
It was a wonderful experience to learn from and get on the right track to a better education and job opportunities. i appreciate them for helping me thru that time
Interactive with youth and fullfiment of life changing attitudes
Clinical Manager (Current Employee) –  Grove City, PAAugust 11, 2015
Throughout the day I am interacting with the youth constantly. Teaching them life lessons is the main purpose of the job, and when you see the attitudes and behaviors change from defiant to obedient and ambitious it makes the job worthwhile.
Pros
Life Changing abilities
Cons
Youth trying to fight you
Great health benefits but no money unless you work 1,000 hrs/week
CP at George Junior Republic (Current Employee) –  Grove City, PAJuly 23, 2015
Everything depends on your unit director. Each runs a totally different program. Overall it is a secure, low paying, high stress job. You will have regular employment, lots of chances for overtime, and, unfortunately, little oversight, no trust from your employer, and no opportunities for advancement (unless you earn a MSW). Making a difference in the kids lives is great, and you can really do well if you work copious amounts of overtime, but it's high stress, high hours, and low pay. Great fit if nothing better or you plan on paying off some debts quickly (some positions offer you free housing/food/utilities).
Pros
Free housing, utilities, food, making a difference in kids' lives
Cons
Unreasonable rules that aren't even enforced, rediculously high expectations for rediculously low pay
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Grove City, PAJuly 14, 2015
I learned so much as a nurse at GJR. The employees will be the best part of working there. The youth that you work with are mostly good. I will miss it greatly. The hardest part of the job was learning where everything is on campus.
Pros
great staff and usually get free lunches
Cons
moderate pay and costly heathcare
Deadend job
Former CM/aid/night worker (Former Employee) –  Grovecity PAJune 26, 2015
The benifits are the only possitive part of this company. It is truly a revolving door type of business. There is little to no potential to advance unless you are in the "in" crowd. The work expectations required by every staff is unreasonable. The only possition that requires little to no training and also pays the least is Night Security. This possition can be done by a trained monkey and in that they pay the workers as little as possible. When complaints come in they answer by saying "there is the door". This is a non profit company that makes millions and only the top 1% ever get raises or bonues. Pay freeze ineffect and has been for the last 3-4 years. The money comes in but the pay does nothing. WHen a raise is given the insurance goes up to match the raise. Great place to work if you also want to collect welfare, WIC, or anyother support because that support will be he only thing that will put food on the table and cover your bills, unless you love working 80+ hours over time every week and do not wish to have a life.
Pros
Benifits that cover just about everything
Cons
The whole business employee relationship
the most enjoyable part of my job
Clinical manger aide (Former Employee) –  Grove City, PAFebruary 18, 2015
To see kids get what they need to work one and being able to see them grow while they are there. building relationships with the kids
Pros
kids
Cons
pay
Would not recommend!
Treatment Team Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Grove City, PANovember 20, 2014
So much to say, but I don't want to bore you honestly. The rest of the SW/TTC reviews on this site say it all. Despite the excellent benefit package GJR provides, there is little that can compensate for all the duties assigned to this position. There is NO way that you can perform this job in 40 hours per week, despite what the QC officer says after performing an "audit" of job duties/performances. They do expect documentation to be in on time and tell you that "since so and so can do it, so can you". They DO communicate that "if you don't like it you can leave".... and that's exactly what I did. Although I did express numerous times to my boss that I didn't think I could take it anymore and she convinced me to "hang in there". I couldn't take any more of the 20 hour trips to court and then coming back to mounds of work that I was already behind on. I honestly liked most of the unit directors. I truly believed that they wanted to do more for us than they were "allowed", so most of the scrutiny and unrealistic expectation was not from them, but from higher up. Good luck during State Assessments! There is little room for advancement in this company. There are a lot of people there with seniority and/or preferential status, sooo unless you get in really good with someone its not likely to happen for quite some time. I really wanted to like working here. its a beautiful campus, with lots of great people working, but my family means much more to me than just being able to keep the health benefits! I had to follow my heart on this one. Not worth the time if you have a family or any  more... kind of life!  less
Pros
great health benefits!
Cons
long hours, no compensation for ot for salaried employees, no raises, liability from kids acting out
Treatment Team Coordinator
Treatment Team Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Grove City, PAJune 6, 2014
George Junior Republic has an excellent benefits package through PPO Blue Cross Blue Shield, but the salaries are very underwhelming, and to keep up with the paperwork load 50plus hour weeks are often required, although you will only e compensated for 40 hrs per week due to being a "salaried employee." Opportunities for advancement exist in the hierachy. You will be given fairly free reign without micromanagement, which has its benefits and drawbacks. The clientele is very diverse and challenging, and there is a wealth of job security, since the organization is private non-profit, and not dependent upon the federal or state government budget. 401 k is offered through Vangaurd. George Junior will match up to 6 percent for the first three years of employment and then at 9 percent to the emplyee's 6 percent investment.
Pros
free lunches in housing unit
Cons
salary and organizational culture
This place was more than just a place to work
Night Security (Former Employee) –  Grove City, PAMarch 3, 2014
I loved the people I worked with . Environment in which I worked was more like family, I could not say enough good about it. I usually got to work half and hour early than was expected of me so I could walk to my assigned unit. My job was to check on the youths every half hour and to call in.
Pros
it was very enjoyable to work with the youths
Cons
it was more than 30 miles from home.
A safe place for troubled youth to learn behavior modification.
Clinical Manager (Current Employee) –  Grove City, PAJanuary 14, 2014
George Junior Republic provides troubled youth with the opportunity to grow as young adults. We provide care for youth under the categories of juvenile probation and designated home services. While at George Junior Republic youth go to school, perform daily tasks such as typical household chores, life skill training, and anger management therapy. As a Clinical Manager, I oversee eleven youth in the Special Needs 12 Unit. I work with one other Clinical Manager, an aide, and my Treatment Team Coordinator. Together we provide behavior modification for the youth in our unit as they go through their daily routine. I have learned more about the developmental process of a youth than in any other setting. The most enjoyable part of my job is helping youth move through and learn from failures in their past or present. The hardest part of my job is managing crisis situations in which youth become harmful to themselves and others.
Pros
free meals, healthcare and benefits, consistent hours and overtime if wanted
Cons
no breaks, poor micromanaging
Group home for at-risk youth.
Domestic Engineer (Former Employee) –  Gas City, INDecember 12, 2013
Basic "Mom" duties: cooking, supervising youth while they did household chores, transporting to and from appointments, maintaining contact with parents, counselors, supervisor, etc.
good experience working with at risk youth
Clinical Manager (Current Employee) –  Grove City, PANovember 30, 2013
George Junior is a perfect out of college job. supplies good experience with paperwork and people skills. working with at risk youth helped shape me into a more mature person. overall george junior is an excellent starter job, but due to very poor pay and the in ability to progress within the company it causes for a large amount of job turn around.
Pros
free lunch, good experience
Cons
very low pay, quick turn around
Productive, Altruistic workplace
Clinical Manager's Aide (Current Employee) –  Grove City, PANovember 26, 2013
The Clinical Manager is the primary child-care personnel for the Special Needs Units. This position is designed to provide the daily services of security, safety and structure to the residents. The care, custody and supervision of the youth are primary concerns of the job.

I work 1-9 with the kids almost every day of the week. I have great co-workers and we make a great team. The hardest part of my job is not being able to take the kids off campus. The most enjoyable part is when a kid wants me to meet their family; it means a lot to me.
Pros
free food
takes a special person
Clinical Manager (Former Employee) –  Grove City, PAOctober 30, 2013
working with youth in the justice system takes a toll on you but when a youth gets and completes the program its all worth it
Safe environment with staff ready to assist in case of an Emergency
Clinical Manager (Current Employee) –  Grove City, PAOctober 14, 2013
While working with at-risk youth sometimes situations can be very touch and
Co-workers were only good part of this place
Clinical Manager (Former Employee) –  Grove City, PASeptember 26, 2013
The insurance was low cost and actually pretty good. Lots of overtime available in unit and at other buildings if interested in working it. Co-workers were awesome to be around, but unit directors as a group were pretty incompetent and only care about perception of GJR and not employee morale. They tell you one thing then and quickly recant. I was told multiple times during staff meetings "I didn't say this but ...." And the advice was always to tell us to restrain a kid for basically no reason.
Management has their priorities all wrong when it comes to employees. They have their favorites and frown on hard workers within their buildings. They care only about perception and don't do investigations when the court placed youth make insane accusations against staff. Just discipline staff even when other staff can verify the kid was lying.
Was told once by CEO in a Christmas bonus letter that we were basically lucky to get $110 for a bonus but the company donated over $200,000 to the school district for a computer lab and are constantly tearing down perfectly acceptable buildings to build new ones so they bring in more special needs kids which they can charge more money for than 'normal' kids.
I could go on and on but overall, a poor place to work due to higher ups.
Pros
other clinical managers, benefits
Cons
unit directors, campus supervisors, pay, shift work, 16 hr weekend days
Low pay
Clinical Manager (Current Employee) –  Grove City, PAJuly 31, 2013
Low pay, management undervalues its workers. Poor hours and stressful environment. Good job for starting out after college but not a career.
Enjoyable but not reliable
Evening Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Grove City, PAJuly 29, 2013
I worked mid-nights from 11pm-7am doing security. We had to make rounds every half hour and make a call to let them know that everything was okay or what was going on. I was not put back on the schedule after taking a week off for our wedding and because I had some back problems but was released to go back to work shortly after. I kept calling my work to get back on the schedule and they said they would put me back on and when I would go in the next day I wasn't on the schedule. I enjoyed my work there and wish that they would have put me back on the schedule.
Stressful
Social Worker (Former Employee) –  Grove City, PAJuly 7, 2013
Management works on a reactive philosophy rather than a proactive one. Counselors here are underpaid, overworked, and required to give extra hours but not compensated. They fill the roles of social worker, therapist, court advocate, transportation coordinator, and clinical manager but are not acknowledged for the expertise that they may be able to provide. Upper management has the mentality and has stated "if they don't it like they can leave" rather than address morale issues, reduce / reorganize workload responsibilities, or improve quality of care for the clients.
Pros
able to build relationships with clients over a long period of time, residential setting allows one to see client progress and growth, crisis intervention experience, vast array of clients and mental health cases available to you
Cons
not compensated for long hours, high stress / crisis environment, clinical supervision is greatly lacking, dual roles with clients