George Junior Republic Employee Reviews

Starter Job
Clinical Manager (Former Employee) –  Grove City, PAJanuary 9, 2017
Worked with troubled youth. Challenging but very rewarding experience. Management was very good and worked a common goal. You earned a bond with your "partner" as a police officer or firefighter would do to the psychological and behavior disorder with the youth
Pros
Sense of accomplishment; work environment
Cons
Pay.
High Stress job. Low pay. Personally rewarding
Clinical Manager (Current Employee) –  Grove City, PASeptember 22, 2016
Very high stress job for little pay. The upper management is disconnected with the direct care workers who deal with the agitated youth on a day to day basis. Plua side is the difference you make in each child's life.
Pros
Rewarding Job. Free meals
Cons
No breaks. High stress
Amazing
Clinical Manager (Current Employee) –  Grove City, PADecember 28, 2016
Best company I have ever worked for. The staff is great, job is amazing and helping children is the best benefit. Do not work at this job if your only looking for money
Fast paced work environment
Clinical Manager Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Grove City, PAFebruary 25, 2016
Most days one is able interact in a positive way with adjudicated delinquents. I learned the difference from being book smart to street smart. Management let us do what we wanted but policy ran the company. Some were able to handle the hostile conditions but some quickly figured out they could not handle the position. Hardest part of the job is being consistant and most enjoyable part is hearing thank you from the youth.
Pros
ability to switch schedules
Cons
no work breaks due to nature of the job
It's a job
Clinical Manager (Current Employee) –  Grove City, PAJuly 4, 2016
Basically I am paid to watch juvenile boys in placement all day. Its income, but not ideal for someone who doesn't like shift work.
Great place to begin
Treatment Team Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Grove City, PAApril 19, 2016
This is a great company as far as benefits and salary are concerned for my position. Learned and grew a lot during my time here but upward movement is difficult due to limited positions.
Interactive with youth and fullfiment of life changing attitudes
Clinical Manager (Current Employee) –  Grove City, PAAugust 11, 2015
Throughout the day I am interacting with the youth constantly. Teaching them life lessons is the main purpose of the job, and when you see the attitudes and behaviors change from defiant to obedient and ambitious it makes the job worthwhile.
Pros
Life Changing abilities
Cons
Youth trying to fight you
Great health benefits but no money unless you work 1,000 hrs/week
CP at George Junior Republic (Current Employee) –  Grove City, PAJuly 23, 2015
Everything depends on your unit director. Each runs a totally different program. Overall it is a secure, low paying, high stress job. You will have regular employment, lots of chances for overtime, and, unfortunately, little oversight, no trust from your employer, and no opportunities for advancement (unless you earn a MSW). Making a difference in the kids lives is great, and you can really do well if you work copious amounts of overtime, but it's high stress, high hours, and low pay. Great fit if nothing better or you plan on paying off some debts quickly (some positions offer you free housing/food/utilities).
Pros
Free housing, utilities, food, making a difference in kids' lives
Cons
Unreasonable rules that aren't even enforced, rediculously high expectations for rediculously low pay
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Grove City, PAJuly 14, 2015
I learned so much as a nurse at GJR. The employees will be the best part of working there. The youth that you work with are mostly good. I will miss it greatly. The hardest part of the job was learning where everything is on campus.
Pros
great staff and usually get free lunches
Cons
moderate pay and costly heathcare
A good place to work to learn team leadership skills
Clinical Manager Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Grove City, PaApril 16, 2012
I supervise clinical managers on an 8 hour shift. I monitor the safety and security of the youth at the facility. I write daily reports on the youth as well as run various group therapies. I have learned over the years how to work well others in a team setting. I get along well with my co-workers and enjoy working with them. The hardest part of the job is having a schedule that changes often. The most enjoyable part of the job is seeing the success of the youth progress through our motivational system.
Pros
job security
Cons
shift work, low compensation, little opportunity for advancement
Good place to work with friendly staff
Childcare Worker/Evening Security (Current Employee) –  Grove City, PASeptember 9, 2012
A typical night of work includes checking rooms to make sure youth are still there every 25 mins. keeping log book and calling front desk every 25 mins to assure that unit is secure. Sometimes getting youth up and ready for departures to court hearings. Making breakfast 1 month out of the year for religion purposes. hardest part of the job is staying up all night. 11-7 shift is rough. The people i work with are very nice and easy to get along with.
Enjoyable but not reliable
Evening Security Guard (Former Employee) –  Grove City, PAJuly 29, 2013
I worked mid-nights from 11pm-7am doing security. We had to make rounds every half hour and make a call to let them know that everything was okay or what was going on. I was not put back on the schedule after taking a week off for our wedding and because I had some back problems but was released to go back to work shortly after. I kept calling my work to get back on the schedule and they said they would put me back on and when I would go in the next day I wasn't on the schedule. I enjoyed my work there and wish that they would have put me back on the schedule.
Productive, Altruistic workplace
Clinical Manager's Aide (Current Employee) –  Grove City, PANovember 26, 2013
The Clinical Manager is the primary child-care personnel for the Special Needs Units. This position is designed to provide the daily services of security, safety and structure to the residents. The care, custody and supervision of the youth are primary concerns of the job.

I work 1-9 with the kids almost every day of the week. I have great co-workers and we make a great team. The hardest part of my job is not being able to take the kids off campus. The most enjoyable part is when a kid wants me to meet their family; it means a lot to me.
Pros
free food
good experience working with at risk youth
Clinical Manager (Current Employee) –  Grove City, PANovember 30, 2013
George Junior is a perfect out of college job. supplies good experience with paperwork and people skills. working with at risk youth helped shape me into a more mature person. overall george junior is an excellent starter job, but due to very poor pay and the in ability to progress within the company it causes for a large amount of job turn around.
Pros
free lunch, good experience
Cons
very low pay, quick turn around
Social Doctor for at Risk Adolescents
Caseworker for emotionally disturbed teenagers (Former Employee) –  Ithaca, NYApril 16, 2012
The George Junior Republic in Ithaca, New York served as a home, school and training program for adjudicated juveniles. They came from several states so they were far from home. They all came very angry. Some liked the program which was run by the youth in a Republic format. Others continued to act out and ran away. The campus was open. I saw a caseload of twenty adolescents weekly and wrote notes. There were many other volunteer hours spent at the Republic. After two years they decided to hire MSW's which I was not at the time. The therapy approach was milieu therapy so that by living, working and going to school, young adults were supposed to have a stable environment to developed goals for their future.
Pros
first job
Cons
really were none
This place was more than just a place to work
Night Security (Former Employee) –  Grove City, PAMarch 3, 2014
I loved the people I worked with . Environment in which I worked was more like family, I could not say enough good about it. I usually got to work half and hour early than was expected of me so I could walk to my assigned unit. My job was to check on the youths every half hour and to call in.
Pros
It was very enjoyable to work with the youths
Cons
It was more than 30 miles from home.
n/a
Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  Grove City, PANovember 19, 2015
It was a wonderful experience to learn from and get on the right track to a better education and job opportunities. i appreciate them for helping me thru that time
Treatment Team Coordinator
Treatment Team Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Grove City, PAJune 6, 2014
George Junior Republic has an excellent benefits package through PPO Blue Cross Blue Shield, but the salaries are very underwhelming, and to keep up with the paperwork load 50plus hour weeks are often required, although you will only e compensated for 40 hrs per week due to being a "salaried employee." Opportunities for advancement exist in the hierachy. You will be given fairly free reign without micromanagement, which has its benefits and drawbacks. The clientele is very diverse and challenging, and there is a wealth of job security, since the organization is private non-profit, and not dependent upon the federal or state government budget. 401 k is offered through Vangaurd. George Junior will match up to 6 percent for the first three years of employment and then at 9 percent to the emplyee's 6 percent investment.
Pros
free lunches in housing unit
Cons
salary and organizational culture
Stressful
Social Worker (Former Employee) –  Grove City, PAJuly 7, 2013
Management works on a reactive philosophy rather than a proactive one. Counselors here are underpaid, overworked, and required to give extra hours but not compensated. They fill the roles of social worker, therapist, court advocate, transportation coordinator, and clinical manager but are not acknowledged for the expertise that they may be able to provide. Upper management has the mentality and has stated "if they don't it like they can leave" rather than address morale issues, reduce / reorganize workload responsibilities, or improve quality of care for the clients.
Pros
Able to build relationships with clients over a long period of time, Residential setting allows one to see client progress and growth, Crisis intervention experience, Vast array of clients and mental health cases available to you
Cons
Not compensated for long hours, High stress / crisis environment, Clinical supervision is greatly lacking, Dual roles with clients
Deadend job
Former CM/aid/night worker (Former Employee) –  Grovecity PAJune 26, 2015
The benifits are the only possitive part of this company. It is truly a revolving door type of business. There is little to no potential to advance unless you are in the "in" crowd. The work expectations required by every staff is unreasonable. The only possition that requires little to no training and also pays the least is Night Security. This possition can be done by a trained monkey and in that they pay the workers as little as possible. When complaints come in they answer by saying "there is the door". This is a non profit company that makes millions and only the top 1% ever get raises or bonues. Pay freeze ineffect and has been for the last 3-4 years. The money comes in but the pay does nothing. WHen a raise is given the insurance goes up to match the raise. Great place to work if you also want to collect welfare, WIC, or anyother support because that support will be he only thing that will put food on the table and cover your bills, unless you love working 80+ hours over time every week and do not wish to have a life.
Pros
Benifits that cover just about everything
Cons
The whole business employee relationship

Ask a question about working or interviewing at George Junior Republic. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9