George Mason University Employee Reviews in United States

N/a
Director of Public Safety (Current Employee) –  Fairfax, VAJuly 20, 2016
I would not like to give a review since every perspective is different for various reasons, I will say don't ever expect a raise in salary, salaries have lost 5% over the past 7 years. We are payed the lowest average salary in the Commonwealth's education system and we live in one of the most expensive areas in the USA. Turnover is now approaching 40%.
Pros
State civil service protections.
Cons
low pay, traffic, congestion
Great place to gain experience while working for the university
Support Center Analyst (Current Employee) –  Fairfax, VAJuly 6, 2016
Great learning experience while working with colleagues, students and faculty. I learned to handle many different, and in some cases difficult, situations in a effective and efficient manner. I also learned how university IT systems are implemented and how they function.
The most enjoyable part of the job was helping fellow students with their IT issues.
Great relationships, terrible benefits
First Hand (Former Employee) –  Fairfax, VAJuly 6, 2016
I had a fun time during my stay at Mason. However after working for two years I decided it was time to find a position where I might be able to grow and gain a higher salary. I was considered a part-time employee even though I was working 40 hours a week from August until May. The pay just proved to not be enough for me in the end, along with the fact that benefits would not even be put on the table. I loved my boss, and the projects I was given forced me to think creatively and outside of the box which was something that I loved about the First Hand position
Pros
fun interesting projects, no harsh restrictive rules, had fun parties
Cons
no benefits, low pay, too much time off with no pay.
Fast paced
Classroom Support/Event Support Technician (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VAJune 25, 2016
A typical day consisted of checking all the classrooms to ensure that audio-visual equipment was working properly, checking all requests for support and ensuring that those requests would be covered by a Classroom Support staff member, ensuring that all equipment stored in-office for checkout was in working order, standing by for any emergency requests for support.

I learned a great deal about A-V tech in the 21st century including sound systems, projectors, computers and all of their components, and how to trouble shoot.

Management was very hands-on and thorough in training and helping the employees to effectively develop their support skills.

My co-workers were great and we worked well as a team to support one another when one of us needed assistance.

The hardest part of the job was sometimes working short staffed and spreading ourselves a little thin. The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to satisfy customers' needs and being congratulated on a job well done.
Pros
Great work environment, convenient location
Cons
This was a wage only position, no benefits
Awesome to work and interact with building clients,students and coworkers
Facility Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Fairfax, VAJune 24, 2016
Lack of clear communication, decision making needs improvement, be more proactive then reactive, empower your people for the good of the goal and not self,
Pros
Having a job
Cons
lack of in house advancement
Great Place!
Library Specialist II (Current Employee) –  Fairfax, VAJune 21, 2016
I have been hear for nearly a year I am happy here! My department staff is professional, friendly and supportive. They are open to suggestions to make the workflow better and give credit to individuals who provide them. The most difficult part of my job is the commute to Fairfax from Maryland. Great Place to be!
Pros
Transportation Benefit, Great Healthcare Benefits, 12 Free Course Hours
Cons
Salary
Excellent place to work if they give you a full time position.
UNIVERSITY INSTRUCTOR (Current Employee) –  Fairfax VaJune 9, 2016
Getting a course to teach is up to the chair of department. Specially in the summer. In fall and spring they need adjunct and they give you course. In summer they only give it to full time faculties and their friends. I fee a little favoritism is going on in the department.
Pros
It is a good place to work for full time faculties. I like to get a permanent job at GMU.
Cons
I can not be correct to answer this because I am not a full time faculty member.
Learn as you go kind of atmosphere, friendly people who taught me a lot
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fairfax, VAMay 24, 2016
I worked very open and friendly people who showed me many new things. I was given the opportunity to work with very expensive lab equipment and very intelligent individuals to complete projects. I mainly did desk work part time trying to add my ecological expertise to the coastal vegetation's impact on stormwater attenuation.
Pros
Learned a lot, flexible hours/ schedule, paid internship
Cons
would have preferred more supervision at times
Beautiful campus and area
Assistant Coach (Former Employee) –  Fairfax, VAMay 9, 2016
The campus was beautiful, but the area was very exspensive. Other than that, there was not any issuses at all. Leaving was sad because of all the peoolpe
The Best school in the world to work for
Student Researcher (Former Employee) –  Fairfax, VAMay 8, 2016
the most knowledgeable staff to work with. I still stay in contact with many of my former colleagues 8 years after greduation
Pros
very intelligent faculty and staff
Cons
lunch selections could be better
Energetic and enthusiastic staff who love interacting with children.
Summer Camp Counselor (Former Employee) –  Fairfax, VAMay 5, 2016
This particular job experience was very worth-whiled because I had the opportunity to work with children which is something I desire to do in my future. I learned a lot about the carpooling process and how to set up signs in order to direct the children to their correct location. The most enjoyable part of this job by far was being able to participate with the children in their small performances towards the end of the week and help them build their confidence throughout as well.
Pros
Decent hours and breaks
Easy job
Fire Alarm Technician (Former Employee) –  Fairfax, VAMay 5, 2016
Clean and comfortable work environment. Pleasant co-workers. Learned how to program fire alarm systems on computer.
Pros
Easy job
Cons
Long commute
Athletics
Head Coach Woman's Rowing (Current Employee) –  Fairfax, VAApril 26, 2016
Competitive environment with sport prioritized by publicity and potential of revenue. Separated by athletics and academics with great academic pedigree surrounded by the DC area.
Productive and fun environment
Recruitment Telecounselor (Current Employee) –  Fairfax, VAApril 18, 2016
You are treated with respect and dignity as an employee working under a great, hardworking management. Very flexible hours and an understanding group of co-workers who are there for you when the job becomes difficult.
Fun & Interesting
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Fairfax, VAApril 18, 2016
The Work that is assigned for you takes over 20 hours to complete, but you only get paid for 20 hours. Apart from that, everything is fine.
Pros
free lunches, tuition waiver
Cons
short breaks
Positive response with department
Assistant Professor (Former Employee) –  Fairfax, VAApril 17, 2016
Positive response to working with students and many colleagues within the department, however it is a typically high stress academic setting with lots of intrigue to be navigated in the College. Great benefits and decent compensation.
Diner Associate (Current Employee) –  Fairfax, VAApril 15, 2016
I enjoy the relationships that I have built with the students that attend the school. I have enjoyed the dedication it has taught me working the overnight shift and still keeping a smile on my face and going above the call of duty daily,
Below average
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  VirginiaApril 7, 2016
Very little opportunities for advancement if not a full time faculty member. Admins usually are in the same position for 30-years without support to advance their career. Admins are overworked and underpaid.
Pros
Cons
Overworked and underpaid admin positions.
Great place
Strength and Conditioning Coach (Current Employee) –  Fairfax, VAApril 6, 2016
The weight room and athletic facility are beautiful. Individual sport coaches are easy to work with. The Athletes care and work hard. Fun environment.
Engaging learning experience
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Fairfax, VAApril 1, 2016
Working as a research assistant for GMU has been a very rewarding experience all-around. I love feeling valued for the work I do, and for actively contributing to the research and development of the projects of my professor employers.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at George Mason University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2