George Mason University

George Mason University United States Employee Reviews

Great Place
Post Award Administrator (Current Employee), Fairfax, VAApril 13, 2015
It's a Great place to work and has many opportunities for advancement. The culture is very warm and the work/life balance is great in that you are able to balance the two without any issues.
Great for security. Terrible work environment.
Civil and Environmental Engineering Manager (Former Employee), Fairfax, VAApril 7, 2015
Pros: Healthcare. Retirement. Job Security.
Cons: Support. Leadership. Senior-Level Management.
Terrible management. No incentives. Co-workers are largely lethargic and ill-equipped to deal with technical issues. Large amount of responsibility but no accountability or support.

Great job security. Low pay.
Great non management people, poor working experience, no chance for advancement
Operations support (Former Employee), AthleticsMarch 25, 2015
If you are support staff of any kind, do NOT work in the Athletic Department (can not speak to coaches, except for high turn over rate of assistants).

Anyone in a support role is thought of as the help by your, non manager, top employees. Do this when we tell you, even though you don't work for them. It is the culture of the department and never expect any help from anyone with AD in their title. Another part of the culture is for supervisors to say no to an idea and steal it as there own. So it comes to a point of why even think of new ways to do thing. Lots of people who think of problems, but very few problem solvers, and the problem solvers always get over ruled. Also, do not expect to know what the big plans are. Management like to think the Field House is Fort Knox. So get ready to be in the dark. No new management changes since 1995. That's the reason the department has been stuck in the 80's.

No chance of a raise, other than the annul state one. No chance of advancement. .

Wish they had a rating for co-workers cause that would have raised my review a bit. Anyone that actually does work there is great, friendly, and helpful. Only worth while reason to work there.
fUN WORK ENVIROMENT
Lead Maintenance Technician (Current Employee), Fairfax, VAMarch 24, 2015
Great company to work for you can go to school for free as long as you work at mason benefits for shows and hotels great co workers all different nationality
Great Co-Workers, Requires Patience and Energy
Fundraiser Sales Representative (Current Employee), Fairfax, VAMarch 23, 2015
Pros: great co-worker interaction
Cons: undervalued.
A typical day as a Fundraiser Sales Representatives requires a good sense of energy along with persistence and patience. The job is primarily independent work as you interact with alumni,faculty, students and parents related to George Mason University. The sensitive topic discussed is trying to receive funding/donation via on-phone transactions and mailing transactions.
Great place to perform research, many opportunities for students
Cybersecurity Analyst (Former Employee), Fairfax, VAMarch 20, 2015
Worked here as a research assistant for three years. There were always interesting projects to work on and I learned a lot. Many opportunities for students.
Great environment and collegial atmosphere.
Ph.D. Student Services Coordinator (Former Employee), Fairfax, VAMarch 15, 2015
A great place to work with wonderful colleagues! So much to learn and what a great place to grow! Great hours, comfortable office.
productive and fun workplace
utility worker (Former Employee), Alexandria, VAMarch 6, 2015
Pros: free coffe
Cons: short breaks
George Mason University is a great workplace. The people are fun and good team workers. My co-workers always help me when i need help and take time to show me the way through the job related procedure.
A great institution to work for!
Faculty (Current Employee), Fairfax, VAFebruary 15, 2015
Being a faculty member at GMU has been a positive experience. I have worked with others cross-departmentally and my work and interests to promote education have always been supported.
Flexible environment
Interim Literacy Program Coordinator (Current Employee), Fairfax, VAFebruary 15, 2015
Flexible environment with nice people. Lots of resources are available for instructors, to include all types of technical trainings. It is also a friendly place to work.
Great benefits, culture sub par
Administrative Assistant II (Former Employee), Fairfax, VaFebruary 12, 2015
Great benefits, culture sub par, a 9-5 mentality. Lack of growth and a lot of state workers who work by the time clock rather than workload.
Great Enviornment
HR (Current Employee), Fairfax, VAFebruary 11, 2015
Pros: great environment
Cons: poor communication at times
I love working for the university, due to budget cuts my position went from full-time to part-time so I do feel as if I was taken advantage of in some aspects. Typical days are busy, filled with students who have questions needing answers.
Telecom Networking Lab Assistant
Telecom Networking Lab Assistant (Former Employee), Fairfax, VAFebruary 9, 2015
• Designed and implemented a remotely accessible network and system virtualization lab.
o Allows users to build internetworks of arbitrary complexity.
o Allows users to create and manage virtual machines that participate in experimental networks.
o Interfacing components (routers and VMs) through a Q-in-Q tagged switch (Cisco catalyst 4503-E switch), implemented through VLAN configurations.
• Perform routine updates for Cisco routers and the console server in the lab.
• Troubleshoot errors on routers, console server and VMware servers.
• Maintain consistent availability of the lab for remote access.
• Set up equipment and configure lab topologies for courses being offered.

Great co-workers, Great learning environment!
A Science Graduate Student's Prospective
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee), Fairfax, VAJanuary 21, 2015
Pros: good professors, great academics, nice coworkers, fun research projects
Cons: food on campus is expensive, lack of group projects, awful pay, poor administation, expensive parking permits, constant increase in prices on campus, no pay increases - ever
As a graduate student at this school, you may have a lot of issues getting a degree and working here. Below I'll elaborate on some of the issues and benefits of getting a degree here while working as a research assistant (GRA) or teaching assistant (GTA).

The school has great academic programs and some great professors. However, the administration of the overall university and even the departments seem to have little to know consideration and respect for their graduate students. The living environment around the area has a high cost of living and significant transportation issues. However, the pay considered fair for a research assistant is awful! For a graduate teaching assistant, it's even worse ($12,500.) It is near impossible to live comfortably around here without living with 3-4 other people. No healthcare unless you get a GRA or GTA position. TA positions alone will not get you this benefit.

Each department is different, but expect to do lots of work for your advisors and professors, while focusing on your degree in the off time. As a teacher assistant expect to create lesson plans, grade, and teach for 20+ hours a week. Lesson plans are almost never passed between professors and students, but you may be able to get old lessons from previous students. For research assistant positions students sometimes work together, but there is usually little collaboration in large projects as teams. Most work is directly between yourself and your advisor.

Once you're done with a degree here, I believe you will have learned a lot. This will definitely help you once you have finished the degree, but might not get you a job right away. Being so close to DC you would think there are a lot of internships and connections, but this is not always the case. Overall, the university is great for academics and interesting research areas. As a place to work I would hate to be here for more than the time it takes to get a degree.
Great place to work, great professors
Graduate Teachers Assistant (Former Employee), Fairfax, VaJanuary 20, 2015
I was a Graduate Teachers Assistant. I worked with the professors in grading papers, homework and tests along with holding office hours for students to come ask questions. Usually this meant helping with homework.
Good part-time on campus job
Telephone Survey Interviewer (Former Employee), Fairfax, VAJanuary 15, 2015
You get to met a lot of different students from GMU. There is a lot of flexibility with work hours. The people you work with are great. Great environment! Friendly & administration is always accessible. Work is not challenging and pay is low.i lasjdflkajsdflk asdlfkj
We gave it the "ole college try."
Media Lab Manager & Training Coordinator (Former Employee), Fairfax, VAJanuary 7, 2015
Working at Mason started on a high note but things became rigid.

A typical day was looking for projects and helping my team work through them. Finding creative projects for students within the confines of a state educational system was difficult but so worth it when the staff worked through to find economical solutions.

The hardest part was dealing with the ever increasing constraints place on me and my team.

The most enjoyable part was watching staff create...nothing better than that.
Encouraging work place
Web Developer (Current Employee), Fairfax, VADecember 23, 2014
I worked as a student and as a pat time employee. The experience was good overall. I am a competent web developer & designer, so I got along very well with all the professors and department employees that I found myself working with.
Educational and fun
Student Research Assistant (Former Employee), Fairfax, VADecember 13, 2014
As a research assistant in the College of Health and Human Sciences, I was able to work with many different professors on their projects with as much guidance as I needed. I did data analysis, literature reviews, IRB forms, and grant proposals. A lot of respect is shown my administrators in this position.
Experience allow opportunities to showcase developed skill set in adminstrative management
Area Coordinator (Former Employee), Fairfax, VADecember 8, 2014
Pros: exciting time to be a staff member at george mason, housing was truely embraced by the university community
Cons: as a live on staff memember, privacy was sometimes difficult to maintain
An unique experience that provided many opportunities for our staff to create and tailor a housing program to the needs of the university outside the typical university model. As an area coordinator, I met with a small team under the leadership of the Assistant Director to plan and coordinate processes that supported and in line with the mission of the university. This position demanded a great deal of creativity and teamwork which proved to be strong tools I brought to the table. I found staff extremely supportive and driven.

1 2 3 4 5