George Mason University Employee Reviews

Program Assistant
Program Assistant (Current Employee) –  Fairfax, VAMarch 13, 2017
I absolutely enjoy being the program assistant for the education department where I help keep data in order while using Microsoft Office and other softwares.
Supportive Work Environment
University Supervisor for Teacher Interns (Former Employee) –  Fairfax, VAMarch 12, 2017
The young Teacher Interns are respectful and eager to learn. The support staff and professors adhere, both in word and in deed, to a philosophy that promotes social justice.

Everyone strives for the betterment of one another and toward the improvement of the program in order to produce better teachers for the future of America.
Awesome Job Security but little pay or advancement
Administrative Assistant III (Current Employee) –  Fairfax, VAMarch 6, 2017
Working at George Mason is awesome; great co-workers and the ability to help students on their way to adulthood. The downfall is that raises aren't given yearly and advancement could be minimized if your field is not academics. But I would definitely recommend a friend depending on the life goals of the friend; if the friend is more interested in raising a family verses building a career, Mason would be a great place for them. Mason is also a great place for an individual in academics or sociology.
Pros
Great work/life balance, job security, and benefits (if you are able to take advantage of them)
Cons
Limited opportunites/ monetary pay is minimal
Nice place for your studies
Web Developer/Designer (Former Employee) –  Fairfax, VAFebruary 24, 2017
GMU is one of the best universities to study for Computer science with a pool of proficient professors and research. I enjoyed my time here with best career and extra-curricular activities.
Enjoyable environment
Client Services Assistant (Current Employee) –  Fairfax, VAFebruary 21, 2017
A typical day at work is answering phone enquiries and helping students and parents who come to the Office of Student Financial Aid with their queries about their accounts. I have learned how to use the Banner student data software and about both federal and private aid options for students. The management and workplace culture is friendly and comfortable to work in but the most difficult part of my job is not being able to help everybody. We hear about some very difficult situations but unfortunately our powers to help are limited. The most enjoyable part though is when we succeed in helping put students through university.
Fun and relaxed Job
Services Concierge (Current Employee) –  Fairfax, VAFebruary 20, 2017
Enjoyable atmosphere that can be laid back with a very good workplace atmosphere. Can be a physically taxing job, but in the end it is good work for a decent pay.
Excellent place to study and work
Faculty Member & manager, Bioengineering Lab (Current Employee) –  Fairfax, VAFebruary 18, 2017
Bioengineering students are very intelligent and have Passion for helping those who need their talent most
George Mason University believe and proud its culture diversity among the students and staff
Pros
Funn and Passion for all diversity
Cons
It is growing very fast
Great atmosphere, flexible hours
Box Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fairfax, VAFebruary 16, 2017
The supervisors have a welcoming and inclusive attitude. Employees are friendly and energetic--the box office was a fun place to work. They offer plenty of training opportunities to ensure that each employee is proficient in their tasks.
Great
Intern (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 15, 2017
I loved working at various locations in Aviano. When I worked at the movie theater, we did everything from preparing for customers to cleaning the theater after the showing. It was a great high school job. My job as an interpreter gave me great experience and exposure to the interpreter/translator world and it is definitely something I would like to do in the future.
Great University
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Fairfax, VAFebruary 12, 2017
I worked as research assistant and it was a great experience. I got a chance to work for the USDA federal project where i learned a lot about data and analytics.
IT Tech
IT Technician (Current Employee) –  Fairfax, VAFebruary 6, 2017
I am a Technician that works on 140 computer. I work to update computer like window updates and computer part that need to be fixed. i would with couple of people who help me do this huge task.
Very productive and knowledge gaining
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Fairfax, VAJanuary 27, 2017
I basically had to teach HTML, CSS, microsoft access, App development and deal with students projects in building a website.

I always enjoyed interacting with my students. I made sure to always make the class interactive.
Being an Undergraduate Teaching Assistant at George Mason University helps me learn more and share my knowledge with other students
Undergraduate Teaching Assistant for CS262 (Current Employee) –  Fairfax, VAJanuary 27, 2017
I am an Undergraduate Teaching Assistant for a C Programming class. My responsibilities include helping students do the labs and challenging projects.
I loved the people I worked with
LEAD Office (Former Employee) –  Fairfax, VAJanuary 25, 2017
The staff was amazing but certainly under appreciated by the university. There was also a lot of changes happening at the university all the time and their time wasn't always appreciated.
Good company culture, of course dependent on the department.
Academic Advisor (Current Employee) –  Fairfax, VAJanuary 21, 2017
Good company culture, of course dependent on the department. Pay is based on federal guidelines so not much of wriggle room there.
Loved my graduate school experience
Graduate Student (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VAJanuary 17, 2017
It took me a while to get through the program as I was working full time but I really enjoyed my instructors, they were for the most part very good mentors. I was very grateful to be able to do 2 study abroad which gave me a global view of Arts Management
Productive and challenging workplace
PR Chair/First Generation Initiatives Coord. (Current Employee) –  Fairfax, VAJanuary 16, 2017
Both of my current jobs at George Mason have been a pleasure to contribute to. A typical day at work includes helping students find aid to continue their higher education, helping to guide students to resources which help them navigate through every day college life, or planning the summer Student Transition Empowerment Program (STEP) for high school seniors.

I have learned that challenging myself in my work leads to great results; I work well under pressure and enjoy the rewards of making education accessible to others.

My coworkers have the same passion and drive as I have, in order to to succeed as both students, and young professionals. I enjoy working with those who have a sense of humor and don't mind pushing me to work harder.
Excellent Career
Assistant Athletic Director for Recreation (Former Employee) –  Fairfax, VAJanuary 16, 2017
Recreation Director of large student body. Reviewed playing areas for safety concerns, posted game results, established new team schedules, handled complaints and rules infractions, etc.
Hardest part of job was making schedules for large numbers of teams to fit in a limited number of time availabilities, and disciplining an individual or team for flagrant rules infractions.
Pros
Fun job, working with a lot of students, some involvement with varsity athletics
Cons
Some late hours, rules disagreements
Great place
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fairfax, VAJanuary 15, 2017
Challenging environment to work in great work culture , one can find help everywhere . This is the place everyone is looking for.
productive and fun workplace
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Fairfax, VAJanuary 12, 2017
- Good work environment
- Co workers are supprotive
- Learned many leadership, organisational, managerial skills
- Most enjoyable part is to work with understanding professor.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at George Mason University. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2