George Mason University Employee Reviews in United States

Fun Workplace
CS Department Grader (Former Employee) –  Fairfax, VAMarch 15, 2016
Mostly take home work. Worked under a professor. Great experience. Time management was difficult at times, but efficiently learnt t o manage it.
Great healthy culture!
Challenge Course Facilitator (Former Employee) –  Manassas, VAMarch 4, 2016
The EDGE is the perfect place to work! I love the enviroment, the people, the philosophy and the challenges! Great team building outdoor challenge course with a great team of facilitators! Way to Go!
Pros
Nice outdoor challenge course, great staff, great amenities!
Cons
Impossible to have a bad day there!
Awesome to work and interact with building clients,students and coworkers
Facility Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Fairfax, VAJune 24, 2016
Lack of clear communication, decision making needs improvement, be more proactive then reactive, empower your people for the good of the goal and not self,
Pros
Having a job
Cons
lack of in house advancement
Positive response with department
Assistant Professor (Former Employee) –  Fairfax, VAApril 17, 2016
Positive response to working with students and many colleagues within the department, however it is a typically high stress academic setting with lots of intrigue to be navigated in the College. Great benefits and decent compensation.
Average workplace
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Fairfax, VAMay 15, 2015
Its OKish I believe as I only work on adhoc basis here. The work benefits are good I would say that. The management is friendly, my co workers are awesome.

Hardest part of being a GTA is grading rather than teaching.
Productive and fun environment
Recruitment Telecounselor (Current Employee) –  Fairfax, VAApril 18, 2016
You are treated with respect and dignity as an employee working under a great, hardworking management. Very flexible hours and an understanding group of co-workers who are there for you when the job becomes difficult.
Rewarding experience - questionable oversight
Learning Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fairfax, VASeptember 18, 2015
Working as a Learning Assistant was a wonderful experience as an undergraduate. The professors and students with whom you work are great. The professor I worked for personally was more than willing to help out if I hit any rough patches along the way, and the students were all there because they wanted to be there. The environment was a respectful and genial one. Everyone has a good sense of humor and if you need to cancel your hours for the day, no-one really gets up in arms about it. No questions asked. Simply because I loved the job, I ended up working more hours than I was supposed to. Plan your office hours carefully, and in the first few weeks it's best to shift hours around as much as you reasonably can to see which hours best suit the student body.

Many aspects of the job requirement are more optional than they would lead you to believe. You are supposed to spend an hour with your faculty advisor every week and spend 4 hours on prep time. As long as your faculty advisor is okay with it, neither is really required. If you know what you're doing, you should never have to look at a book to teach your subject.

Bad news? Sometimes staffing is... questionable. I was told my paycheck was tax-free, since it was technically a scholarship. The check said "Scholarship" right on it. After a snafu the first semester, we got paid on time, but come the next tax season I got hit with a $400 bill from the IRS that no one told me was coming. It took a complete overhaul of the compensation system for me to even get my money, because at first, not all the money was coming
  more... from the same places. For example, I was in the Chemistry Dept, but was paid for by the Math Dept. I had almost no oversight, because the Math Dept. wasn't really exchanging any information with the Chemistry Dept. They just handed me my checks with no questions. When I realized my first check was much later than the departmental emails said, I was sent around in circles to a bunch of different department offices, all of them saying it wasn't their department and I should try at so-and-so's office. It took me a very long time to get it straightened out, and I wasn't the only one with problems.

Many of my LA coworkers had issues reporting the hours they worked in pre-arranged formats that seemed to change every few weeks. Because I was technically contracted by the Math Department and not Chem or Bio, I didn't have to deal with any of that (hooray for no oversight?), but even in the last few weeks of school, there were still concerns over how any of it worked.

Some of it was fantastic. Some of it was ridiculous. Take what you will from this.
Pros
flexible hours, great community, wonderful advisors
Cons
getting paid gets weird, no one can code a website to save their lives
Below average
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  VirginiaApril 7, 2016
Very little opportunities for advancement if not a full time faculty member. Admins usually are in the same position for 30-years without support to advance their career. Admins are overworked and underpaid.
Pros
Cons
Overworked and underpaid admin positions.
Supportive Instructors
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fairfax, VAMarch 2, 2016
Felt happy when the acquaintances i made helped me with a great start on my first day and we had meetings once in two weeks, where we discussed how good we were progressing and were successful in teaching the students. I learnt many new things while working here as an GTA.
The Best school in the world to work for
Student Researcher (Former Employee) –  Fairfax, VAMay 8, 2016
the most knowledgeable staff to work with. I still stay in contact with many of my former colleagues 8 years after greduation
Pros
very intelligent faculty and staff
Cons
lunch selections could be better
Hope it would increase the chances for international students.
HR Assistant (Current Employee) –  Fairfax, VAFebruary 18, 2016
It is good to work in a good environment and there are a lot of challenges for people have not worked in U.S. before. However, I learnt much from the work and suggest the school should offer more opportunities fro international students.
Diner Associate (Current Employee) –  Fairfax, VAApril 15, 2016
I enjoy the relationships that I have built with the students that attend the school. I have enjoyed the dedication it has taught me working the overnight shift and still keeping a smile on my face and going above the call of duty daily,
Engaging learning experience
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Fairfax, VAApril 1, 2016
Working as a research assistant for GMU has been a very rewarding experience all-around. I love feeling valued for the work I do, and for actively contributing to the research and development of the projects of my professor employers.
Fun Place to Work and study
RESEARCH ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Fairfax, VAFebruary 24, 2016
Helped me a lot to develop myself
Professors were very helpful
The work was challenging for me especially because I was doing programming and my background is Networking but I worked to my fullest potential and was able to complete all the tasked assigned to me
George Mason is a great college
Sikh Student Association as an intern (Current Employee) –  Fairfax, VAMarch 23, 2016
George Mason is a great college. The teachers are amazing and very intelligent. The university provides insight on how to improve as a student and within the ongoing workforce.
Pros
Good environment
Cons
Not too much school spirit
Athletics
Head Coach Woman's Rowing (Current Employee) –  Fairfax, VAApril 26, 2016
Competitive environment with sport prioritized by publicity and potential of revenue. Separated by athletics and academics with great academic pedigree surrounded by the DC area.
Fun & Interesting
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee) –  Fairfax, VAApril 18, 2016
The Work that is assigned for you takes over 20 hours to complete, but you only get paid for 20 hours. Apart from that, everything is fine.
Pros
free lunches, tuition waiver
Cons
short breaks
Beautiful campus and area
Assistant Coach (Former Employee) –  Fairfax, VAMay 9, 2016
The campus was beautiful, but the area was very exspensive. Other than that, there was not any issuses at all. Leaving was sad because of all the peoolpe
A Great Opportunity to Advance Both Your Career and Education
Budget/Financial Analyst (Former Employee) –  College of ScienceDecember 24, 2015
The typical day at work doesn't exist. GMU is a dynamic place to work, and often that dynamism can border on chaos.One moment you are working of the annual budget for the Physics Department, and the next you are reviewing OMB regulations on the Fly America Act for traveling faculty and staff,
Pros
Free College Education
Cons
High Attrition Rate
University Educator
Professor in Communication (Current Employee) –  Fairfax, VANovember 25, 2012
I have been employed as an adjunct professor in communication for decades at George Mason University my Alma Mata. I teach public speaking and interpersonal communication. A typical day include preparing students to give introductory speeches, informative speeches, technology speeches, persuasive speeches, oral interpretations, debating, impromptu speeches and writing speech analysis. In interpersonal communication, students do movie reviews, problem solving discussions, team teaching via experiential learning and writing observation and skill development papers.

Management at George Mason University University is the State of Virginia. My co-workers are fellow adjuncts and full time faculty. As a former graduate of GMU and love for teaching and learning, I enjoy what I do with proven outcomes.
Pros
giving back to community
Cons
compensation and advancement

4.2