George Mason University

George Mason University Employer Reviews

Good people bad management
Event Coordinator (Former Employee), Fairfax, VAFebruary 9, 2014
Was a great place to meet liked mind people but the administration was happy not wanting to move forward and try new ideas.
Opportunities to Serve
Director of Technology, Infrastructure & Security (Former Employee), Fairfax, VAJanuary 20, 2014
The University allows dedicated employees to make a difference and serve with impact.
Productive work environment
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee), Fairfax, VAJanuary 19, 2014
GEORGE Mason University is an institution of international academic reputation providing superior education for students to develop critical, analytical, and imaginative thinking and to make well-founded ethical decisions.
A great place to work
Office Assistant (Current Employee), Fairfax, VAJanuary 17, 2014
Very interactive place to work. It is interesting to learn about the University as a whole.
Good as an Employer
Web Developer (Former Employee), Fairfax, VAJanuary 15, 2014
Interesting work and culture around. Co-workers are professional and great to work with.
Okay Place to work
Desk Assistant (Former Employee), Fairfax, VAJanuary 8, 2014
Pros: fun
Cons: low wage
Compensation is low but its an exciting and fun place to work.
Reasonable place, Bureaucracy to the moon
Graduate Research Assistant (Current Employee), Fairfax, VAJanuary 3, 2014
I was a graduate student and research assistant. I was lowest on the totem pole in terms of preferences. Luckily, there's still a decent amount of flexibility in the University because it's a relatively new institution.
The Best University in NOVA
Technical Manager (Senior Design Project) (Former Employee), Fairfax, VAJanuary 2, 2014
Experience and knowledgeable professors.
Very challenge and demanding curriculum.
Great Senior Design or Capstone projects
reseach assistant for my PHD advisor
Research Assistant (Former Employee), Fairfax, VAJanuary 2, 2014
The research assistant job at George Manson University was to work with my PHD advisor on various research projects, with certain part directly related to my PHD dissertation.
great work enviorment
Grounds Maintenance (Current Employee), Fairfax, VADecember 16, 2013
i enjoyed working at mason a lot of hard work and the hours were perfect
Great company to work for
Student (Current Employee), Fairfax, VADecember 9, 2013
Really smart folks and interesting work. Company cared about employees.
N/A
Executive Assistant to Department Chair (Current Employee), Fairfax, VADecember 8, 2013
My job varied from day to day depending on the semester. This is a fun and challenging job. The most enjoyable part is that you see students graduate, and that is such a proud moment for them.
Great for professional growth
Resident Director (Former Employee), Fairfax, VAOctober 7, 2013
Pros: campus resources
Cons: staff turnover
GMU provides a culture of constant change, which is designed for progress and development. The growth of the institution is great, but the ever changing environment does not always seem to provide stability in programs. Students, faculty and staff are dedicated to ensuring that Mason is a diverse and welcoming environment for all.
Academic
Senior Design Project - Housing Project (Former Employee), Fairfax, VAOctober 4, 2013
Senior design projects at George Mason University teach you different aspects of civil engineering and design. It teaches us engineers how a project in real life is brought in to conception and converted to actuation.

Many challenges were faced while working on our first design project as a group. Faculty and management were of immense help towards – more... overcoming those challenges and helping student engineers in their design. – less
good
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee), Fairfax, VASeptember 24, 2013
Innovation is the tradition in GMU.
Creative and support are most popular reason
lot of diversity among students fun to be around campus
Graduate Teaching Assistant in Systems Engineering (Current Employee), FairfaxAugust 15, 2013
very lively environment around..good faculty..excellent working environment.the most learning experience to be around such renowed professors and such good calibre of students
Honestly, it really depends on your supervisor.
assistant (Former Employee), fairfax, VAAugust 12, 2013
Pros: free classes
Cons: when academics run programs, it's a coin flip.
I had a generally good experience. I think that they like to load the work very heavy on the managers and staff thinking they can do a lot with less, but it becomes overwhelming. Then again, it really depends on the supervisor, because the supervisors tend to protect their own if they like you, or leave you out to be preyed upon if not. I learned a – more... lot about the inside of higher education and honestly, it's a little like learning how laws and sausages are made, excuse the old expression... – less
Fun work place
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Fairfax, VAAugust 11, 2013
It is a fun work place were you can learn quickly and work efficiently if you put your mind to it. Its all about team work here.
A job that provided a feeling of great satisfaction
Adjunct Professor (Current Employee), Fairfax, VAAugust 10, 2013
Pros: the satisfaction of meeting new people and watching them graduate.
A typical day at work consisted of meeting with potential students to discuss programs of study, also meeting with current students to discuss programs issues and guides. I learned I could work very well with students and establish rapport with each of them. My co-workers were fellow administrators who I worked with daily. We worked well with each other – more... and could turn to each other in times of need. The hardest part of the job was the frenzy that came with the start of the new semester. Everyone needing help. This only lasted the first two weeks of the semester and then things settled down.
I found the most enjoyable part of the job was making new friends with the students in the programs we offered. I got to admit them, guide them through their studies, and then watch them graduate. – less
creative idea
Research Assistant (Current Employee), Fairfax, VAJuly 24, 2013
i. Identifying the semiconductor production system features;
ii. Revising the local convergence algorithm;
iii. Simulating the semiconductor production environment by VC++2010