George Mason University Employee Reviews

A great institution to work for!
Faculty (Current Employee), Fairfax, VAFebruary 15, 2015
Being a faculty member at GMU has been a positive experience. I have worked with others cross-departmentally and my work and interests to promote education have always been supported.
Flexible environment
Interim Literacy Program Coordinator (Current Employee), Fairfax, VAFebruary 15, 2015
Flexible environment with nice people. Lots of resources are available for instructors, to include all types of technical trainings. It is also a friendly place to work.
Great benefits, culture sub par
Administrative Assistant II (Former Employee), Fairfax, VaFebruary 12, 2015
Great benefits, culture sub par, a 9-5 mentality. Lack of growth and a lot of state workers who work by the time clock rather than workload.
Great Enviornment
HR (Current Employee), Fairfax, VAFebruary 11, 2015
Pros: great environment
Cons: poor communication at times
I love working for the university, due to budget cuts my position went from full-time to part-time so I do feel as if I was taken advantage of in some aspects. Typical days are busy, filled with students who have questions needing answers.
Telecom Networking Lab Assistant
Telecom Networking Lab Assistant (Former Employee), Fairfax, VAFebruary 9, 2015
• Designed and implemented a remotely accessible network and system virtualization lab.
o Allows users to build internetworks of arbitrary complexity.
o Allows users to create and manage virtual machines that participate in experimental networks.
o Interfacing components (routers and VMs) through a Q-in-Q tagged switch (Cisco catalyst 4503-E switch), implemented through VLAN configurations.
• Perform routine updates for Cisco routers and the console server in the lab.
• Troubleshoot errors on routers, console server and VMware servers.
• Maintain consistent availability of the lab for remote access.
• Set up equipment and configure lab topologies for courses being offered.

Great co-workers, Great learning environment!
A Science Graduate Student's Prospective
Graduate Research Assistant (Former Employee), Fairfax, VAJanuary 21, 2015
Pros: good professors, great academics, nice coworkers, fun research projects
Cons: food on campus is expensive, lack of group projects, awful pay, poor administation, expensive parking permits, constant increase in prices on campus, no pay increases - ever
As a graduate student at this school, you may have a lot of issues getting a degree and working here. Below I'll elaborate on some of the issues and benefits of getting a degree here while working as a research assistant (GRA) or teaching assistant (GTA).

The school has great academic programs and some great professors. However, the administration of the overall university and even the departments – more... seem to have little to know consideration and respect for their graduate students. The living environment around the area has a high cost of living and significant transportation issues. However, the pay considered fair for a research assistant is awful! For a graduate teaching assistant, it's even worse ($12,500.) It is near impossible to live comfortably around here without living with 3-4 other people. No healthcare unless you get a GRA or GTA position. TA positions alone will not get you this benefit.

Each department is different, but expect to do lots of work for your advisors and professors, while focusing on your degree in the off time. As a teacher assistant expect to create lesson plans, grade, and teach for 20+ hours a week. Lesson plans are almost never passed between professors and students, but you may be able to get old lessons from previous students. For research assistant positions students sometimes work together, but there is usually little collaboration in large projects as teams. Most work is directly between yourself and your advisor.

Once you're done with a degree here, I believe you will have learned a lot. This will definitely help you once you have finished the degree, but might not get you a job right away. Being so close to DC you would think there are a lot of internships and connections, but this is not always the case. Overall, the university is great for academics and interesting research areas. As a place to work I would hate to be here for more than the time it takes to get a degree. – less
Great place to work, great professors
Graduate Teachers Assistant (Former Employee), Fairfax, VaJanuary 20, 2015
I was a Graduate Teachers Assistant. I worked with the professors in grading papers, homework and tests along with holding office hours for students to come ask questions. Usually this meant helping with homework.
Good part-time on campus job
Telephone Survey Interviewer (Former Employee), Fairfax, VAJanuary 15, 2015
You get to met a lot of different students from GMU. There is a lot of flexibility with work hours. The people you work with are great. Great environment! Friendly & administration is always accessible. Work is not challenging and pay is low.i lasjdflkajsdflk asdlfkj
We gave it the "ole college try."
Media Lab Manager & Training Coordinator (Former Employee), Fairfax, VAJanuary 7, 2015
Working at Mason started on a high note but things became rigid.

A typical day was looking for projects and helping my team work through them. Finding creative projects for students within the confines of a state educational system was difficult but so worth it when the staff worked through to find economical solutions.

The hardest part was dealing with the ever increasing constraints place on me and my team.

The most enjoyable part was watching staff create...nothing better than that.
Encouraging work place
Web Developer (Current Employee), Fairfax, VADecember 23, 2014
I worked as a student and as a pat time employee. The experience was good overall. I am a competent web developer & designer, so I got along very well with all the professors and department employees that I found myself working with.
Educational and fun
Student Research Assistant (Former Employee), Fairfax, VADecember 13, 2014
As a research assistant in the College of Health and Human Sciences, I was able to work with many different professors on their projects with as much guidance as I needed. I did data analysis, literature reviews, IRB forms, and grant proposals. A lot of respect is shown my administrators in this position.
Experience allow opportunities to showcase developed skill set in adminstrative management
Area Coordinator (Former Employee), Fairfax, VADecember 8, 2014
Pros: exciting time to be a staff member at george mason, housing was truely embraced by the university community
Cons: as a live on staff memember, privacy was sometimes difficult to maintain
An unique experience that provided many opportunities for our staff to create and tailor a housing program to the needs of the university outside the typical university model. As an area coordinator, I met with a small team under the leadership of the Assistant Director to plan and coordinate processes that supported and in line with the mission of the university. This position demanded a great deal of creativity and teamwork which proved to be strong tools I brought to the table. I found staff extremely supportive and driven.
Nurturing Culture
Employee Relations Assistant (Current Employee), FairfaxDecember 5, 2014
Working for HR at Mason was my first job out of college. Mason has a nurturing culture and promotes personal development.
George Mason University is a wonderful place to work.
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee), Fairfax, VANovember 29, 2014
A typical day as a Graduate Assistant for New Century College includes preparing for class lecture and developing various lecture materials.
Relaxing Environment to Work
Knowledge Management Associate (Current Employee), Arlington, VANovember 13, 2014
GMU is a very relaxing place to work as people are genuinely nice. The main problem is that there isn't mu h room for professional growth at the University and this makes a lot of talented individuals leave to seek better opportunities someplace else.
Fun and rewarding work
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Former Employee), Fairfax, VAOctober 23, 2014
Pros: paid tuition, flexible work schedule, self-managed, self-paced
Cons: small stipend, inconsistent workload
The job consisted of preparing lesson pans, teaching courses (usually one full course, or multiple review sessions for another professor), holding office hours, and grading students' work. Through the process I was able to learn high-level mathematics, some computer programs, and how to deal with many students in one course. Much of the work could be done at any time, and this made it easier to allocate – more... time for studying. There is one graduate coordinator who gives teaching assignments each semester, but most of the actual work is self-supervised. The co-workers were other graduate students, in a very friendly environment. The job itself was not very difficult, though during mid-terms and finals it could be tough to make sure time was assigned efficiently between studying and teaching duties. The best part of the job was the rewarding feeling of helping students get through difficult courses and grasp challenging concepts. – less
Nice place to gain experience and network.
Laboratory Assistant (Former Employee), Fairfax, VAOctober 23, 2014
I learned a lot about my field of study and had many opportunities to network. Management was nice and good to work with. The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting new people and teaching them.
Challenging environment to work
Graduate Teaching Assistant (Current Employee), Fairfax, VAOctober 21, 2014
The job is to teach students how to do java programming, grading their assignments. It makes us to prepare well, so we can explain our students well.
Exciting job in athletics.
Exe. Admin. Asst. to Asst. VP/Dir. of Athletics (Current Employee), Fairfax, VAOctober 14, 2014
Fast-paced daily work. Must enjoy athletics and the ups/downs of teams winning and loosing.
Poor