George P. Johnson Employee Reviews in United States

#1 ranked global event and experience marketing agency
Event Program Manager (Current Employee) –  San Carlos, CANovember 25, 2014
I have had the opportunity to work on some of the best and biggest events in the high-tech industry from concept to onsite execution. At GPJ you definitely put in long hours and hard work, but after a successful event and happy clients, it was all worth it. I work with amazing, creative, strategic people every day. It's inspiring!

GPJ offers great health benefits, PTO and an ESOP. Growth/Advancement is not so great. There isn't much room to grow up/out of current position(s). Pay scales are ok for agency standards, but don't increase much year over year.

New changes in upper management are exciting and they are bringing fresh ideas to move the company forward.
Pros
esop, working on high-level events
Cons
career growth is poor
Fun and exciting company developing brand loyalty for our clients.
Engineer detailer / CNC Programmer (Current Employee) –  Torrance, CAAugust 29, 2014
George P Johnson is a great company to work for. We build Trade show Exhibits for major corporations. This is very fast paced building environment because of strict time restrictions due to Show date deadlines.
George P. Johnson is a great place to start
EVENT LOGISTICS MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Rego Park, NYAugust 6, 2014
I started my career at George P. Johnson and learned a lot while I was there. While the company culture is a lot of fun and the team is great to work with, the compensation is really low in comparison to other companies out there.
Amazing culture of creativity and enthusiasm
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Boston, MAJune 20, 2014
I rarely had face-to-face time with my executives, due to either extensive travel schedules or working from NYC office (I was based in Boston). I work autonomously and without much direction for the 3rd in line of a global company. There was a camaraderie and infectious passion about the work being produced at GPJ and the contribution each of us made. I had no typical days. I often was able to work from home if my boss was traveling. I worked nights and weekends as needed, which was often. I feel communication is the absolute key to success when supporting a C-level exec. There were some kinks to be worked out on that front as my boss has less than stellar communication skills (he admits this wholeheartedly and said I should begin by taking a mind reading course). But we addressed this issue quickly and ended up with an extremely efficient and trustworthy relationship. My boss had not experienced this before in his 17 years with the company and not only did we both reap the benefits, all of his direct reports did as well. I became his voice to many of these reports and streamlined many processes associated with Quarterly Board presentations that had be muddled and confusing prior to my hire. I loved the challenge. Hardest part of my job was a 3 hour round trip commute to the office. Had my boss not retired in conjunction with my moving to Fairhope, AL from Boston, I would have worked remotely with quarterly trips back to Boston.
Pros
able to work remotely often, increased work/life balance
Cons
long commute, initial issues with communication
Great workplace and great people to work with
Registration Lead (Contract) (Former Employee) –  San Carlos, CADecember 5, 2013
While at GPJ I was the "Team Lead" for the registration department working on 2 major events. Working in the registration department required taking hundreds of calls and emails from attendees on a daily basis bringing daily challenges and making each day very unique. Working at GPJ I learned how to manage multiple projects effectively while keeping customer satisfaction at the highest priority. I had a great team of 10-12 registration representatives who were bright and sharp and we were able to work well under high pressure situations and service over 100,000 attendees. I enjoyed the fast paced work environment and the culture of GPJ.
Pros
free coffee (starbucks), tea, hot coco
Cons
long hours and lots of overtime required
Top agency
Executive Director (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 8, 2013
Hired by President/CEO to launch a new tradeshow division in Chicago which lead to other office expansions in San Jose and Boston. Built from ground-up these divisions and diversified business into in-store banks upon signing of $10M contract. Left the firm after the banking division faltered operationally which presented a host of problems for the company and me.
Pros
best of class
Cons
be careful what you wish for
Very Professional.
Carpenter (Current Employee) –  Auburn Hills, MIJuly 30, 2013
Great place to work. I was with them for 15 years and learned an enormous amount.
The people were great to work with.
Great learning environment
Marketing Intern (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNApril 3, 2013
Good professionals that help you along the way. They are friendly and care more about you than just being a co-worker/intern.
Fast paced
Assistant Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Auburn Hills, MIDecember 13, 2012
• Managed and meticulously budgeted OEM and Tier-1 auto show projects,
-i.e., Detroit, Chicago, & New York Auto Shows; budgets ranging from $50,000 to $250,000
• Assigned segments of all major Chrysler Auto Shows to stay within scope of project
• Monitored progress of internal departments to stay on a targeted schedule
-i.e., 3D Design, CAD Engineering, Graphics and Purchasing
• Established needs of all clients’ expectations on an individual basis
• Communicated with customer regularly in order to meet and exceed their expectations
• Tracked all costs associated with projects daily
friendly environment
Graphic Designer Tech (Current Employee) –  La Vergne, TNJuly 19, 2012
Is a busy production company where everyone is hands on in all departments and learned great team work skills. Even the management would get their hans dirty to see a project meet deadline.
My co-workers are very patient and encouraging to work with.
The job is never hard, just have to train your mind and body to sustain long working hours. those long hours also comes with perks, pizza and overtime.
University required internship
IT Intern (Current Employee) –  Auburn Hills, MIApril 20, 2012
I could not have been happier with my experience at GPj, my internship here turned out to be far better than ever imagined. It is really difficult to describe the things I learned and worked with but there are a few things I can share. This was the first international company I had ever supported, which brought about a whole new avenue of ways to support users around the globe. While working in support, I was able to learn about many different systems I only had a little experience with previously. I learned about Oracle's JDEdwards ERP system, Active Directory, Lotus Notes Domino, GPJ custom applications, PGP encryption, SEP and more! I created the "system survival" training for new hire employees and trained over 200 individuals in the process. I successfully resolved 1000+ support tickets while working for GPJ, and provided support to 25 offices globally. Most of the time the hardest support tickets were the most rewarding.
Pros
free lunches, opportunity to build upon existing skill sets, location close home
Cons
lack of permanent employment, benefits etc.