George Washington University

George Washington University Employer Reviews

demonstrated excellence in nursing
ICU Registered Nurse (Former Employee), Washington, DCJuly 21, 2014
Pros: gained invaluable nursing skills
Cons: poor work/life balance (12-hr day/night rotation)
I thought this was an amazing experience. This is a very prestigious hospital. The ICU Internship Program really sharpened my nursing skills and gave me the confidence to work in any high acuity nursing setting. The ICU in this hospital spanned across three floors and nurses had to maintain the skills to care for any critically ill patient regardless – more... of specialty (trauma, medical, surgical, neurological, cardiac, cardio-thoracic). The constant rotation among the various ICUs gave me the skills to take nursing to another level. I really enjoyed and appreciated this experience. Also, the pay was great considering it was my first nursing job. – less
Awesome!
Executive Assistant (Current Employee), Washington, DCJuly 17, 2014
It was just simply a great place to work. I was always learning new things. The people are so intelligent and have great things to share.
Student Accounts Representative (Former Employee), Washington, DC & Ashburn, VAJuly 17, 2014
The typical day at GW was to make sure the accounts were correct, answers the questions of the parents and students; due dates and payment plans. I was also responsible for crediting the accounts with departments awards, tuition benefit credit, and issuing refunds of the credit balances.
I managed the call center and the difficult calls were referred – more... to me. The co-workers were great. We worked as a team, discussing accounts for a better understanding.
The most enjoyable part of the job was knowing the the customer had been satisfied and both parties were in agreement. – less
A very great university
Teaching Assistant --- Heat Transfer Course (Former Employee), MAE DepartmentJune 19, 2014
The TA working experience brought me an unforgettable memory for me
typical nursing home
Patient Care Technician (Current Employee), Washington, DCJune 18, 2014
this was a good place to work . It was close to my home and i enjoyed taking care of the residents
typical day at work
Business Associate (Current Employee), Washinton, DCJune 14, 2014
wonderful place to work! wonderful staff and work environment
it a fun work place
Patient Care Technician (Former Employee), Washington DCJune 10, 2014
it a good place to work
my co-workers were very helpful
the hardest part of the job was the scheduling system was really not
a good one for someone with children. it a 12 hours shift which i love so much but the will schedule you day today and night tomorrow, not all baby sitter babysit at night so this was hard for me.
i love my 12 hour shift and i – more... enjoyed working with all my nurses at rehab they rock. – less
challenge
course project (Former Employee), washington DCMay 29, 2014
OpenGL Course projects, The George Washington University
Sept 2013 – May 2014
Ÿ Design several C++ and OpenGL based computer animation projects.
Ÿ Implement some OpenGL library functions and classic graph algorithms using C++.
Machine Learning Course projects, The George Washington University
Sept 2013 – Dec 2013
Ÿ Implement classic algorithms of – more... machine learning using MATLAB. – less
just as student
Student (Former Employee), Washington, DCMay 29, 2014
Use C++, Qt4 for UI graph library and develop active user interface for the portable score reader.
One of the best I've had in D.C.
Staff Accountant (Former Employee), Washington, DCMay 28, 2014
Great people and great balance of teamwork. I had a great time and the people were very friendly and kind. We discuss most of what we were doing so that we were all on the same page.
excellent
Real Estate Database Management Systems Project (Former Employee), Washington, DCMay 27, 2014
excellent

• Created and modified a couple of real estate database objects by applying Oracle Data Modeler and Developer
• Built DFD model and ERD model, also created and fulfilled the tables
• Edited and debugged PL/SQL queries
Good work atmosphere
Senior Budget Analyst (Former Employee), Washington, DCMay 13, 2014
Work on the task that I am responsible for. Co-workers were good. Learned allot in terms of people and their work habits
best time
EKG and Stress Technician (Former Employee), Washington, DCMay 8, 2014
Pros: staff
Cons: salary
Preformed EKG’s daily in the ICU/PCCU/CCU and ER.
Assisted Doctors with Stress Test and Stress Thallium’s including inserting IV’s.
Educated the RN’s and Interns on how to perform EKG’s.
Developed the training manual for incoming technicians.
Maintained the machines.
Fun place to work
Patient Care Technician/Med-Surgical Technician (Current Employee), Washington, DCMay 6, 2014
Fun and rewarding work experience; allowed for many different one to one experiences
Best place to work while you are international student
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee), Washington, DCApril 29, 2014
teaching different courses to graduate and undergraduate students.
A productive and fun workplace, and an intellectually stimulating environment.
German Lecturer (Current Employee), Washington, DCApril 25, 2014
Pros: a nice 45 minute break between the two courses i teach: time to get coffee and have a snack!
Cons: part-time employment is not compensated very well.
Typically, I commute in to Washington with the bus, then either visit the copy machine before class, or go directly to class and prepare to teach early, warming up the projectors for my technology classroom. I teach two 50 minute classes, with a 45 minute break in between. I often have to walk a few blocks to my second class, as it is an urban campus. – more... I get my exercise! The students on this campus are very bright and challenging to work with, in a very positive way. I enjoy my mornings!

Unfortunately, because our classrooms are spread out on the GW campus, I do not see my colleagues much. We also teach at different times, so we all commute into Washington at different times, as well.

The hardest part of my job is maybe the commute! I love my work, but the commute takes a chunk of time out of my day, and I am very much impacted by traffic and weather on the way to work.

The most enjoyable aspect of my work is the interaction with my students. I fully enjoy seeing them progress in their language learning. I also love to interact with my colleagues when we find time! – less
Productive work place, great learning enviroment
Cashier (Current Employee), Washington, DCApril 22, 2014
This job helped me with skills like punctuality, patience, and it allowed me to increase my knowledge in customer service and the retail basis of the field.
ORTHO/NEURO/REHAB dept
Patient Care Technician (Former Employee), Washington, DCApril 10, 2014
Pros: pretty decent pay
Cons: management, scheduling
Before I start, I must mention that this depends completely on what floor you work on, and what position. This review pertains to being a Patient Care Tech in the rehab wing, which is shared with ortho/neuro. Beware: there is a HUGE turnover rate here. Let that be an indicator.

From the first day of being there, I could tell how unhappy the staff was, – more... from the Techs to the nurses, from the janitors to the secretaries. If it was ever possible, the mood got worse as time went on, largely thanks to the immediate nursing managers. People are desperate to move on with their lives after spending just a few months in this wing.

Scheduling: 12 hour days are hard enough as it is. The manager who makes the schedule will change it last minute, so remember to check her work the SECOND it comes out. Warning for the newbies, you will be given leftover shifts that your "seniors" do not fill. That means adjusting your sleeping cycle a good 2-4 times per week. It's normal to feel as if no one, especially the managers, cares about you, as long as the schedule is filled.

Management: Currently, there are 3 nurse managers. 2 of them (will not name names) will yell and squabble right in front of everyone (but will give the staff a long lecture about professionalism). They will say incredibly offensive things about you behind your back to other staff members. A new rule/regulation will be posted just about every 2 weeks, depending on the managers' mood, making it hard for anyone to follow. They will seem to play dumb when it comes to employee complaints, yet make excuses for their own short comings and point the finger at nurses/techs when our HCAPS ratings go down. We will forever be understaffed, mis-scheduled, and mistreated. Oh and as stated before, fight tooth and nail for your schedule, it will be different from the one you submit to them, no matter how early you present it to the scheduling manager.

Nurses: Most are very very good, but you will get sucked into their drama that they have with each other. The rehab side has older/slower nurses, while ortho/neuro will generally have younger/more active nurses. Thus, less teamwork on the rehab side. SOME nurses will ignore their pages so the techs will have to take so much of it on their own. One nurse specifically, would hide in empty rooms to avoid work, but that's only one. Was it a coincidence that she seems to be the main brown-noser with the managers too?

In summary: This department specifically, can seem like a bad high school drama for the most part. Even if you're not part of the drama, it will affect your day, schedule, and workload. If you're a tech, forget most of what you learned in the medical field about actual medicine; you will be for the most part, wiping butts and cleaning beds, all while being yelled at. If you want to learn, advance, and really use your clinical skills, try going to another department such as the ED. You will not be learning nor advancing very much in this dept. – less
Teaching Institution with Adaptive Environment
Clinical Supervisor Acute Pain Management Service (Current Employee), Washington, DCMarch 28, 2014
Wonderful teaching institution, has provided opportunities for growth within field of work.
great location and pleasant work environment
Office Receptionist (Former Employee), Washington, DCMarch 26, 2014
Pros: the location and the amenities around
Cons: the hours avail
Very nice place and wonderful coworkers. Best management team and always willing to assist when needed.

1 2 3 4 5

About George Washington University

The George Washington University's name is just one more reminder of the regard the nation holds for its first president. Chartered – Read more

George Washington University Photos