Georgia's Own Credit Union Employee Reviews

Run and dont look back...
Senior New Account Representative (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GANovember 27, 2017
Working for this company is like looking in the rear view mirror while attempting to drive forward. It's impossible... Just stop while your ahead and look for a career with another company. Thank me later!
Pros
Customers are pretty decent
Cons
Benefits & Management, Compensation...
Fairly New
Personal Financial Specialist (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAAugust 30, 2017
I have only been with the company a few short months and can already tell that it's a great place too work. I came from another bank where there was a lot of sales pressure but not here. Also the training is very thorough.
Pros
The hours
Cons
Short lunches
"it's not worth the stress"
Processor (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAAugust 17, 2017
this department is very unorganized , you may have the job title of processor but may be asked to process, do Intake ,subordinations etc with no support at all.The management team really doesn't care how it gets done they just want it done , the lack of support , favoritism , and borderline workplace bullying it is a very unprofessional department with no training at all.
Pros
Overtime
Cons
the department
Did not enjoy
Member Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAAugust 10, 2017
Did not enjoy. Very stressful. High turn over rate. Unprofessional and not family orientated. Some co-workers made it an enjoyable place to work. Others made it miserable
Good staff, poor structure
Assistant Vice President of Branches (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJuly 5, 2017
Enjoyed the staff, but became frustrated with the disconnect between main office and the branches. Communication between Senior Management and Management was poor. Morale became low.
Great Staff
Bank Teller (Former Employee) –  Marietta, GAJune 15, 2017
Looked forward to serving the members. They were very nice, funny and considerate. Staff there was fun to work with as well. Great manager. Lunches were only 30 minutes.
Georgia's Own Credit Union
1st Mortgage and Home Equity Loan Processor (Temp) (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJune 12, 2017
The managerial staff is not helpful, they apply unnecessary pressure, lack of managerial skills, lack of managerial support. Manager is clueless from job duties, do not recommend anyone to work for the mortgage division of Georgia's Own
staff is very unprofessional
Management applies more than one job duty without support, the management is clueless on team building
Pros
great location to commute to
Cons
poor managerial skills from management
Run
Teller (Former Employee) –  GeorgiaAugust 29, 2016
If you are looking for a company that cares about the employees as much as the members. Than you need to stop reading and look some where else. They manage their employees as though one warm body were interchangeable with another.
Pros
Very involved in the community.
Cons
30 minute lunches
Ga's Own review
Branch Manager (Former Employee) –  Morrow, GAJune 15, 2016
I enjoyed my time with Georgia's Own Credit Union. I was the branch manager at their new Morrow office and achieved huge financial success for the company; far exceeding management expectations.
Pros
Great Salary
Cons
No job security
Not what I thought
Teller (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMarch 31, 2016
I rather not speak on my experience. Coworkers were awesome helpful we worked as a team that I did enjoy. I didn't feel management was supportive. Nothing was hard about my job. Most enjoyable was assisting members. I love assisting others and making their day.
Excellent place to work
Assistant Manager Mortgage Services (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAFebruary 17, 2016
GOCU offers many different job duties. Most jobs provide on the job training. If you enjoy working with people and being involved in community service activities you would enjoy working here.
A very nice place of employment.
Teller / Member Services (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GADecember 18, 2015
To fulfill my members needs in a quick an accurate sufficient way. To resolve any complaints they may have in a very profrossional manner.
Pros
bonus
Cons
short breaks
No stability
Member Solution Manager (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJune 9, 2015
I perform collections functions and member service issues for the company, but they are very unstable and rarely provide needed tools to complete tasks
Pros
Fun people
Cons
Too many people with power to overturn each other
Enjoyed co-workers but management speaks of teams without creating them.
Teller (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 6, 2015
It seems that full time professional tellers are no longer of interest to the management. They would prefer part time tellers that can be changed at will and will not cost them benefits.
It seems like the branches versus the downtown offices...no teamwork is created by management, but required to accomplish goals.
Pros
Branch close to home
Cons
No Breaks, only 1/2 lunch, changeable schedules, schedules not posted until Thursday or Friday of previous week, difficult to make appointments
A Terrible place to work
Vault teller (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAFebruary 22, 2015
To work a day here is like being in a prison Camp and they are all ways short staffed. Half the time you don't even get a lunch !!
Pros
Good Vacation decent insurance ( for Now)
Cons
no compasion, horrible HR team NO Team effort in the branches
Chess, cookies, ping pong
Director of Collections (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAFebruary 21, 2015
Checkers and chess. Plenty of ping pong in the productive work place. There are around 500 people that work here. A lot of them are retiring.
Pros
Midtown and entertainment
Cons
Questionable leadership
Be very cautious!
Branch Manager (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJanuary 11, 2015
I have to agree with the comments on the "fear mongering" Human Resources Dept. They are supposed to look out for the best interests of the company while still taking care of the employees. They don't care about the employees and do not coach for improvement. Management is only interested in the numbers and not in improvement. I have seen many people who put their heart and sole into this company for years be treated poorly and no attempt was made to help them improve when the company said they needed to improve. Some of the VPs are of the old management mentality and threatening their teams and these types have no business leading other people. There are VPs here over Branch Ops that are focused on furthering their own interests and not that of the company. A good company believes in growing, developing, training and mentoring their people to success and this company doesn't do that. Moral has come to an all time low and thats sad cause this used to be a great company. Run, don't walk away from this company.
Pros
good hours
Cons
unclear expectations, very disorganized, lack of coaching
Great and Family Oriented Credit Union
Teller (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJanuary 7, 2015
My experience working at Georgia's Own was great. I learned a lot about the finance industry. The customers are are very warm and welcoming, and they were very communal. Georgia's Own is Atlanta's #1 credit union by far. Thanks GOCU!
Teller
Teller (Current Employee) –  Norcross, GADecember 14, 2014
I love the people I work with at Georgias Own Credit Union. I am part time so I do not have any type of benefits. I think they should invest more in their employees, full time and part time.
Pros
hours
Cons
30 min lunch
nice place to work
Teller (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GASeptember 8, 2014
my typical day consisted of opening producers, cashing checks, deposits , loan payments, opening and closing accounts. handling other banking insitutions members and their transactions . Management was nice. My co workers knew there was job to be done and did it. The hardest part of the job was leaving all the members that I used to help and build a relationship with. The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting new people and offering them the best customer service.