Georgia's Own Credit Union Employee Reviews in United States

Not what I thought
Teller (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMarch 31, 2016
I rather not speak on my experience. Coworkers were awesome helpful we worked as a team that I did enjoy. I didn't feel management was supportive. Nothing was hard about my job. Most enjoyable was assisting members. I love assisting others and making their day.
Excellent place to work
Assistant Manager Mortgage Services (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAFebruary 17, 2016
GOCU offers many different job duties. Most jobs provide on the job training. If you enjoy working with people and being involved in community service activities you would enjoy working here.
A very nice place of employment.
Teller / Member Services (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GADecember 18, 2015
To fulfill my members needs in a quick an accurate sufficient way. To resolve any complaints they may have in a very profrossional manner.
Pros
bonus
Cons
short breaks
No stability
Member Solution Manager (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJune 9, 2015
I perform collections functions and member service issues for the company, but they are very unstable and rarely provide needed tools to complete tasks
Pros
Fun people
Cons
Too many people with power to overturn each other
Enjoyed co-workers but management speaks of teams without creating them.
Teller (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 6, 2015
It seems that full time professional tellers are no longer of interest to the management. They would prefer part time tellers that can be changed at will and will not cost them benefits.
It seems like the branches versus the downtown offices...no teamwork is created by management, but required to accomplish goals.
Pros
Branch close to home
Cons
No Breaks, only 1/2 lunch, changeable schedules, schedules not posted until Thursday or Friday of previous week, difficult to make appointments
A Terrible place to work
Vault teller (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAFebruary 22, 2015
To work a day here is like being in a prison Camp and they are all ways short staffed. Half the time you don't even get a lunch !!
Pros
good vacation decent insurance ( for now)
Cons
no compasion, horrible hr team no team effort in the branches
Chess, cookies, ping pong
Director of Collections (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAFebruary 21, 2015
Checkers and chess. Plenty of ping pong in the productive work place. There are around 500 people that work here. A lot of them are retiring.
Pros
midtown and entertainment
Cons
questionable leadership
Be very cautious!
Branch Manager (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJanuary 11, 2015
I have to agree with the comments on the "fear mongering" Human Resources Dept. They are supposed to look out for the best interests of the company while still taking care of the employees. They don't care about the employees and do not coach for improvement. Management is only interested in the numbers and not in improvement. I have seen many people who put their heart and sole into this company for years be treated poorly and no attempt was made to help them improve when the company said they needed to improve. Some of the VPs are of the old management mentality and threatening their teams and these types have no business leading other people. There are VPs here over Branch Ops that are focused on furthering their own interests and not that of the company. A good company believes in growing, developing, training and mentoring their people to success and this company doesn't do that. Moral has come to an all time low and thats sad cause this used to be a great company. Run, don't walk away from this company.
Pros
good hours
Cons
unclear expectations, very disorganized, lack of coaching
Great and Family Oriented Credit Union
Teller (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJanuary 7, 2015
My experience working at Georgia's Own was great. I learned a lot about the finance industry. The customers are are very warm and welcoming, and they were very communal. Georgia's Own is Atlanta's #1 credit union by far. Thanks GOCU!
Teller
Teller (Current Employee) –  Norcross, GADecember 14, 2014
I love the people I work with at Georgias Own Credit Union. I am part time so I do not have any type of benefits. I think they should invest more in their employees, full time and part time.
Pros
hours
Cons
30 min lunch
nice place to work
Teller (Former Employee) –  Savannah, GASeptember 8, 2014
my typical day consisted of opening producers, cashing checks, deposits , loan payments, opening and closing accounts. handling other banking insitutions members and their transactions . Management was nice. My co workers knew there was job to be done and did it. The hardest part of the job was leaving all the members that I used to help and build a relationship with. The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting new people and offering them the best customer service.
Have to agree with the "fear mongering" HR group
Manager (Current Employee) –  Current employeeAugust 6, 2014
GOCU used to be a very good company to work for. Member service used to be great and something that was really important to management and what the company stood for. There is a new group of HR people from commercial banks who have really changed the culture of the company. This is evident in the way employees are now being treated by being limited to what they can do and HR is involved in too many aspects of the working environment. They are not approachable and have been successful in making employees fearful of their jobs. Members are quickly noticing the changes and are verbal in saying, "This used to be a great credit union to be a member of". Many employees who have worked hard for their positions have been quickly dropped from their titles from the new HR group too. Changes are being made that the CEO would not agree with, as he has mentioned many times to employees that family comes first before work. Changes need to be more transparent with CEO because he truly does care and is a very people oriented person. The only positive still left is the vacation time.
Pros
vacation and company pays for healthcare (for now). members becoming part of your family
Cons
unapproachable upper mgmt, and lack of training for some upper mgmt who got their positions on the "buddy-buddy" system
Was once a great place to work
Teller (Current Employee) –  Atlanta GaJuly 23, 2014
Some changes were made to this company that change the integrity of all that we stand for.
Pros
nice employees and mostly nice managers
Cons
new fearmongering hr department, short lunches
workplace
teller (Former Employee) –  atlanta gaJuly 14, 2014
A typical day of work would basically include cash handling,customer service,opening/closing accounts,loan management
Pros
9-5, off weekends, quiet environment
Cons
short breaks
Don't Walk But Run
Long Time Employee (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GaJune 6, 2014
I worked for this company for many years in just about every role imaginable. I came to this job as a college graduate already having ample years of banking experience, including management and supervisory. But after witnessing countless unwarranted promotions, many unqualified and inexperienced outside hires for key positions, all the while being told that I lacked the right skills or I needed additional training or grooming to even be considered for advancement was more than I could take. In truth,there was not a single person at this Credit Union that could have told you anything about my experience or what was on my resume. Even the experience and vast knowledge of the industry and the organization gained at this very Credit Union itself was devalued toward the end of my tenure there. Understand that I was a hard working, loyal, good and reliable employee for this organization for a long time who did everything asked of me, and could have easily retired there if I had no ambition whatsoever. I was not your typical disgruntled employee. Sadly, when I finally gave notice, not one single person from management or HR contacted me to inquire as to why a long time employee was leaving their service. They could have cared less. It's a great company if you just want a job with benefits. If you are looking for something more, don't waste your time.
Pros
good benefits and friendly coworkers
Cons
incompetent management/zero employee development/corporate culture/ below market compensation
Great Place to work
Teller (Former Employee) –  Marietta, GAFebruary 27, 2014
Great Place to work.Good co-workers to work with. Management
is approachable.
Pros
healthcare paid by employer
Not so great
Loan Officer (Current Employee) –  Alpharetta, GAFebruary 24, 2014
Georgia's Own Credit Union is a great place to work for, benefits are great however when it comes to promotions and raises.. not so great.
Pros
members are great!
Cons
short breaks, always short staffed and not appreciated.
n/a
Lead Teller (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJanuary 5, 2014
They say that its a friends and family work place, but it turn around to a working for that company and not the company working together places you. This credit union in so divided the back office doesn't like working with the branch and the branch don't like working with the back office, not a team at all. The management is very good in the branchs that I have worked in, in the downtown are.
Easy Going Place to Work
Teller (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GADecember 19, 2013
It can get pretty busy and demanding but there is job security and its very diverse
Fun place to work and learn about the mortgage industry as well as other financial services
Mortgage Loan Processor (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GeorgiaSeptember 5, 2013
Ga. Telco Credit Union, which is now Georgia's Own Credit Union was my first job out of college. I learned a lot about the financial world from this company, so I have nothing but love for them. I learned about banking, mortgage loan originating, processing, and loan closing procedures. Overall just a great credit union I would recommend working for if given the opportunity.
Pros
great learning environment for cross training experience
Cons
low compensation