Georgia's Own Credit Union

Georgia's Own Credit Union Employee Reviews

Enjoyed co-workers but management speaks of teams without creating them.
Teller (Former Employee), Atlanta, GAMay 6, 2015
Pros: Branch close to home
Cons: No Breaks, only 1/2 lunch, changeable schedules, schedules not posted until Thursday or Friday of previous week, difficult to make appointments
It seems that full time professional tellers are no longer of interest to the management. They would prefer part time tellers that can be changed at will and will not cost them benefits.
It seems like the branches versus the downtown offices...no teamwork is created by management, but required to accomplish goals.
A Terrible place to work
Vault teller (Current Employee), Atlanta, GAFebruary 22, 2015
Pros: good vacation decent insurance ( for now)
Cons: no compasion, horrible hr team no team effort in the branches
To work a day here is like being in a prison Camp and they are all ways short staffed. Half the time you don't even get a lunch !!
Chess, cookies, ping pong
Director of Collections (Current Employee), Atlanta, GAFebruary 21, 2015
Pros: midtown and entertainment
Cons: questionable leadership
Checkers and chess. Plenty of ping pong in the productive work place. There are around 500 people that work here. A lot of them are retiring.
Be very cautious!
Branch Manager (Current Employee), Atlanta, GAJanuary 11, 2015
Pros: good hours
Cons: unclear expectations, very disorganized, lack of coaching
I have to agree with the comments on the "fear mongering" Human Resources Dept. They are supposed to look out for the best interests of the company while still taking care of the employees. They don't care about the employees and do not coach for improvement. Management is only interested in the numbers and not in improvement. I have seen many people who put their heart and sole into this company for – more... years be treated poorly and no attempt was made to help them improve when the company said they needed to improve. Some of the VPs are of the old management mentality and threatening their teams and these types have no business leading other people. There are VPs here over Branch Ops that are focused on furthering their own interests and not that of the company. A good company believes in growing, developing, training and mentoring their people to success and this company doesn't do that. Moral has come to an all time low and thats sad cause this used to be a great company. Run, don't walk away from this company. – less
Great and Family Oriented Credit Union
Teller (Former Employee), Atlanta, GAJanuary 7, 2015
My experience working at Georgia's Own was great. I learned a lot about the finance industry. The customers are are very warm and welcoming, and they were very communal. Georgia's Own is Atlanta's #1 credit union by far. Thanks GOCU!
Teller
Teller (Current Employee), Norcross, GADecember 14, 2014
Pros: hours
Cons: 30 min lunch
I love the people I work with at Georgias Own Credit Union. I am part time so I do not have any type of benefits. I think they should invest more in their employees, full time and part time.
nice place to work
Teller (Former Employee), Savannah, GASeptember 8, 2014
my typical day consisted of opening producers, cashing checks, deposits , loan payments, opening and closing accounts. handling other banking insitutions members and their transactions . Management was nice. My co workers knew there was job to be done and did it. The hardest part of the job was leaving all the members that I used to help and build a relationship with. The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting new people and offering them the best customer service.
Have to agree with the "fear mongering" HR group
Manager (Current Employee), Current employeeAugust 6, 2014
Pros: vacation and company pays for healthcare (for now). members becoming part of your family
Cons: unapproachable upper mgmt, and lack of training for some upper mgmt who got their positions on the "buddy-buddy" system
GOCU used to be a very good company to work for. Member service used to be great and something that was really important to management and what the company stood for. There is a new group of HR people from commercial banks who have really changed the culture of the company. This is evident in the way employees are now being treated by being limited to what they can do and HR is involved in too many – more... aspects of the working environment. They are not approachable and have been successful in making employees fearful of their jobs. Members are quickly noticing the changes and are verbal in saying, "This used to be a great credit union to be a member of". Many employees who have worked hard for their positions have been quickly dropped from their titles from the new HR group too. Changes are being made that the CEO would not agree with, as he has mentioned many times to employees that family comes first before work. Changes need to be more transparent with CEO because he truly does care and is a very people oriented person. The only positive still left is the vacation time. – less
Was once a great place to work
Teller (Current Employee), Atlanta GaJuly 23, 2014
Pros: nice employees and mostly nice managers
Cons: new fearmongering hr department, short lunches
Some changes were made to this company that change the integrity of all that we stand for.
workplace
teller (Former Employee), atlanta gaJuly 14, 2014
Pros: 9-5, off weekends, quiet environment
Cons: short breaks
A typical day of work would basically include cash handling,customer service,opening/closing accounts,loan management
Don't Walk But Run
Long Time Employee (Former Employee), Atlanta, GaJune 6, 2014
Pros: good benefits and friendly coworkers
Cons: incompetent management/zero employee development/corporate culture/ below market compensation
I worked for this company for many years in just about every role imaginable. I came to this job as a college graduate already having ample years of banking experience, including management and supervisory. But after witnessing countless unwarranted promotions, many unqualified and inexperienced outside hires for key positions, all the while being told that I lacked the right skills or I needed additional – more... training or grooming to even be considered for advancement was more than I could take. In truth,there was not a single person at this Credit Union that could have told you anything about my experience or what was on my resume. Even the experience and vast knowledge of the industry and the organization gained at this very Credit Union itself was devalued toward the end of my tenure there. Understand that I was a hard working, loyal, good and reliable employee for this organization for a long time who did everything asked of me, and could have easily retired there if I had no ambition whatsoever. I was not your typical disgruntled employee. Sadly, when I finally gave notice, not one single person from management or HR contacted me to inquire as to why a long time employee was leaving their service. They could have cared less. It's a great company if you just want a job with benefits. If you are looking for something more, don't waste your time. – less
Great Place to work
Teller (Former Employee), Marietta, GAFebruary 27, 2014
Pros: healthcare paid by employer
Great Place to work.Good co-workers to work with. Management
is approachable.
NOT SO GREAT
Loan Officer (Current Employee), Alpharetta, GAFebruary 24, 2014
Pros: members are great!
Cons: short breaks, always short staffed and not appreciated.
Georgia's Own Credit Union is a great place to work for, benefits are great however when it comes to promotions and raises.. not so great.
n/a
Lead Teller (Former Employee), Atlanta, GAJanuary 5, 2014
They say that its a friends and family work place, but it turn around to a working for that company and not the company working together places you. This credit union in so divided the back office doesn't like working with the branch and the branch don't like working with the back office, not a team at all. The management is very good in the branchs that I have worked in, in the downtown are.
Easy Going Place to Work
Teller (Current Employee), Atlanta, GADecember 19, 2013
It can get pretty busy and demanding but there is job security and its very diverse
Fun place to work and learn about the mortgage industry as well as other financial services
Mortgage Loan Processor (Former Employee), Atlanta, GeorgiaSeptember 5, 2013
Pros: great learning environment for cross training experience
Cons: low compensation
Ga. Telco Credit Union, which is now Georgia's Own Credit Union was my first job out of college. I learned a lot about the financial world from this company, so I have nothing but love for them. I learned about banking, mortgage loan originating, processing, and loan closing procedures. Overall just a great credit union I would recommend working for if given the opportunity.
If you are looking for a career, this is not the place.
clerical (Former Employee), atlanta georgiaFebruary 23, 2013
Pros: health insurance if free for emplyee's
Cons: no breaks, overworked employees with very little chance for advancement
No structure, outdated technology, middle management staff
unproductive and lack formal management training and leadership, very little chance for career advancement. (former employee)
Productive work environment for a small credit union.
Member Service Representative (Current Employee), Atlanta, GANovember 10, 2012
Pros: lunch is provide for departmental staff and rewards can be earned from different promotion specials
Cons: small credit union so career advancement is limited
Good place to work if you are starting out in the financial industry. Benefits to full time employees along with paid vacation and holidays.
Unorganized
Credit Union (Former Employee), Atlanta, GAJune 25, 2012
This company is lacking in a lot of areas. Very unorganized. Little room for advancement because the company is relatively small. Training is lacking. Well informed management is lacking. A typical day for me was boring. I had to found things to keep my mind occupied because work responsibilities were not evenly distributed. Overall, this place will work for you if you seek a simple job, but if you seeking career building responsibilities do not settle for less by working here.

Georgia's Own Credit Union Salaries