Georgia-Pacific Employee Reviews in United States

You can do better
Operator (Former Employee) –  North Las Vegas, NVFebruary 10, 2016
Poor work/life balance. 12 hour rotating shifts, with a 30 minute pre-shift meeting everyday. And sometimes they'll keep you late if there's a mess to clean up. (12.5+ hour shifts.. not even sure if that's legal, but they do it). At one point my work schedule was changed 4-5 times in less than 6 months.
The pay isn't good enough when considering the knowledge, fast pace, stress and danger involved with the job. The pay scale is also very vague, unfair, and political. This is the type of company that will pay 2 different employees doing the EXACT same job two different wages; thus creating an atmosphere of competitiveness and resentment. I mean, can you imagine working next to somebody who is doing the same task as you but you're making a dollar less than them? Holidays and personal days are paid out at 8 hours, even though employees work 12 hours.
Acquiring a raise is difficult. It consists of a lengthy review process which can take months to complete. But to even get the process started an employee has to constantly 'remind' management or even threaten to quit. I, myself, was with the company for over 6 months before they started my '90-day review'.
It's a very thankless and unsatisfying place to work. If you've done a good job, you won't hear anything. But, if you've made a mistake, expect to be criticized, critiqued, and spoken to by management. You'll also hear gossip and 'he said/she said' from other employees.
There isn't much job security or advancement. If you learn too much in one area, you'll never get moved or promoted. I worked with individuals
  more... who, basically, had so much experience in a certain area that the company would pass them over for jobs in other areas just to keep them where they were. It's also very easy to get terminated if you violate one of the numerous safety policies/procedures. The facility lost $1 million in 2015 and is currently struggling to become profitable.
Management personnel are only concerned with numbers and how they look to their supervisors. Nothing else.
The job culture here is horrendous. This is probably one of the most hostile and stressful places that I've ever worked.
Pros
Okay hourly wage
Cons
Company policies, Pay scale, Pay discrepancies, Pay raises, Long work hours, Fiberglass, Management personnel
Fast paced environment within a growing industry
Utilities Production Leader (Current Employee) –  Monroeville, ALOctober 21, 2015
There is never a dull moment. There are so many areas that can be affected with one mistake, it can be more than challenging. The company truly strives to be 10,000% environmentally compliant. They set parameters that are well below most state requirements. It is an excellent model for integrity and compliance.
They hire from previous CO-OPs.
There are multiple programs in place for safety, environmental and performance improvement, but there are not enough employees to adequately manage. Therefore, the little things tend to be forgotten and resurface at the wrong times.
The company is very large and diverse. Haven't met a person yet that doesn't greet you with a smile. Most are eager to lend a hand and corporate is becoming more involved; providing support.
Cannot give a fair review for the entire corporation. This review is based off of the few mills that I have worked at or supported within the southern region.
Pros
Large company, better benefits, advancement opportunities
Cons
Large company-equals red tape, very time demanding
Production
Supply Operator (Current Employee) –  Fort Dodge, IAFebruary 28, 2016
The pay is the only good thing because you will work all the time. You never know if you are working weekends till Thursday or Friday. You will also work a rotating scheduled of 8-12 hour days. Management is terrible, they only focus on getting their numbers and couldn't care less about the employees. They preach safety, only after someone is hurt. The Union is awful. Management and the Union don't get alone and try to undermine each other every chance they get. The only reason someone should work here is if they are desperate for money, because as soon as you are qualified you will be forced to work 12 hour days
Pros
Money
Cons
Do youself a favor dont work there
Operator (Former Employee) –  Monroeville, ALFebruary 28, 2016
Horrible dirty place to work no advancement no time at home expected to work 12 14 hours a day for 6 days a week most of the time pay is horrible start out at 10 dollars per hour will take 3 months to get to 11 or 12 and then will have to wait 9 months to get more but you probably want get anything esle basically what im saying is that there isnt anything good about working there if you try getting a job there just go talk to some employees there before you do they will tell you the same thing on top of that Hr will lie to you and make it sound like a dream job there full of it
A lot is asked, little is given.
A recognized leader (Current Employee) –  Kansas City, MOJuly 4, 2015
Georgia-Pacific at it's heart is supposed to be governed by Market Based Management. A framework established by Charles Koch that prizes ideals such as Integrity, Compliance, and Humility. The reality of the situation is that the front line managers very seldom adhere to these guiding principles and so the business actually suffers around it. Since I've hired in, our employee turnover rate has hovered around 48%. This is a combination of long hours, heavy workload, high expectations and a line of progression that punishes employees for having more seniority. The longer you work for them the more likely you are to end up on a shift you don't want.
Pros
Decent pay, As much overtime as you want
Cons
Too many hours, Unrealistic expectations, Poor management, inadequate compensation
Worst place to work do not work here
Forklift Operator/Warehouse/driver (Current Employee) –  Antioch, CASeptember 28, 2015
This is the worst place to work very poor management a lot of politics here. Favoritism and the schedule is horrible. They would even schedule you on your days off without even telling you the schedule changes daily so you can never make plans. Your life would end coming here you won't be able to go out and enjoy life with your family, you will bearly see them good luck. Everyone is unhappy working here everyone is out looking for new jobs this place is not worth it trust me I'm trying to save you DO NOT WORK HERE !!!!!
This place is Goin to the ground.
Cons
don't plan nothing on the weekend
relief operator (Former Employee) –  McCormick, SCAugust 14, 2015
Poor management. Management always tell you what you do wrong but they never say anything about the good things employees do. You might get a raise every 3 to 4 years. Your working hours are never the same. They're are never consistent with the work schedule. You have managers that knows nothing about the industry but they can tell you how to do the job. Poor pay the only way you'll make money is working overtime.
Pros
great health insurance
Cons
no room for advancement
All together different environment
former employee (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJanuary 20, 2016
This company drives culture through a set of principles. They also have a group that has sole responsibility to facilitate driving that culture throughout the enterprise. That is a great thing! However, beyond the training, the company gives mulligans to any and everyone that needs them in any situation they deem necessary. It's amazing to me that they continue to allow behaviors that are not conducive to the principles that they try to instill in each employee.
Pros
Driving culture at a high level
Cons
Out of touch with employee needs and aspirations!
Horrible place
utility worker (Former Employee) –  Brunswick, GAFebruary 7, 2016
This company has no respect for people or familys. They give no notice in having to work beyond your already long schedule. They dont care about your needs away from work. Keep in mind, they work you 6 days a week, 12 to 14 hours each day. They give no thanks for the work and pride you give when your there. Your just a lumber production number to this company and do trust they make sure you know that. Turn around is high because of this. Horrible company by far
Pros
NO pros
Cons
no advancement, no pride in this company
Good pay, and helped me get in healthier shape!
Laborer (Former Employee) –  Pine Mountain, GASeptember 23, 2015
It was hard work and hours due to the shift changing every few days. It was really hot and really cold with the seasons. I really do miss it though, I was at the best shape I have been in years, fast paced and I didn't have to deal with people really. Just had to do my job correctly and to regulation while music jamming in my head.(no I was not listening to actual music!!)
Pros
Paid breaks, raises, hours, beneifits, and great exercise!
Cons
Some men were flirty, and some I guess just didn't think it was a place for females, .... some needed additude adjustments, .... hot/cold!
Senior Transportation Planner-West Coast Brokerage (Former Employee) –  Green Bay, WIDecember 5, 2015
This was a great place to work. The only reason I left is because I moved to Madison for a relationship. The management actually cared for the employees and the people were fun to work with.
Pros
work/life balance, fun place to work
Cons
pay was a little on the light side
Great Growing Experience
Physical Distribution Manager (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNMarch 11, 2016
I grew and learned how to become a man while on the job. This company believed in me so much that I was promoted 3 times in less than 5 years. I was the highest ranking African American in the southeastern section of the company. I had great employees and a challenging work environment. I loved most being able to hire young men and groom them into adulthood as I grew myself. I was an awesome experience.
Pros
Great Pay
Cons
Long hours, 7 days a week
Job is stressful, and swing shift is not for many people!
Pulping technician (Former Employee) –  Green Bay WiAugust 15, 2015
Management in departments use intimidation tactics to scare people of job loss . Job advancement is created by favoritism and not by persons performance. Swing shift with 12 hour shift and mandatory on call list makes family life very tough, especially when you have to work holidays.
Pros
Competitive pay
Cons
Poor management and bad bonus pay program.
Excellent Company
Data Analyst - Intern (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GASeptember 27, 2015
Superb work culture
Great learning environment
Excellent Mentorship
Best Managers

I have worked in many companies but I am confident that the kind of environment one can experience and the work-life balance that can be maintained at Georgia Pacific is not possible anywhere else. It has been an amazing and enriching experience
Pros
Great Learning environment
Good
Manager (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAFebruary 22, 2016
Unique culture, not very diverse, great way to learn about corporate America. The MBM values are used differently by everyone.
Cons
lack of diversity
Mt. Jewett Pa. General utility worker
General utility (Former Employee) –  Mt. Jewett PaApril 8, 2015
Great pay and benefits. The management at this facility sucks. They do a whole lot of preaching about safety, however when you raise a safety concern your offered an excepted resignation. Then black balled from going to a different facility because according tho their HR you walked out. It is impossible to balance home and work life regardless of what facility you are at. It is often joked that 90% of the employees are divorced and that is about accurate. It is because they will and can keep you there 12 hours a day, 6 days a week. And you will do it for the pay. They also have a habit of hiring a lot of ring chasers. So If your single/wanna be divorced and have no children or other responsibility's you will love it!
Pros
pay and benifits
Cons
Everything else
Spray Line Operator (Former Employee) –  Madison, GAMarch 4, 2016
This is a very productive company very busy all day. I leaned that only the strong survive. Management was ok. Co-workers had to work as a team to get things done.The hardest part of job was the climate very hot is a understatement. The most enjoyable part was being off spending time with family
Pros
OVERTIME
Cons
CLIMATE
Great Learning Experience
Associate (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GANovember 5, 2015
GP is a great learning experience. Being a manufacturer who also has brands gave insight to the B2B and C2C perspective.
Pros
Room for advancement if you know the right people
Cons
No real on-boarding or training offered outside of the companies management philosophy
This was a fun and loving place to work
Machine Operator (Former Employee) –  Centerville, MSJanuary 25, 2016
A very productive place that you can learn how to do manything. you get the chance to learn how to operate all kinds of machinery. I love working with management, and my co-worker,we all got alone like one happy family. the hardest part of the job was when the chains break, and every thing get stoped up. The most enjoyable part of the job was when everything was running good, and making producting.
Its not a job its a career
Boiler/utilities Manager/CSO fire protection (Current Employee) –  Warm Springs, GAAugust 24, 2015
Good place to work with plenty of opportunity for advancement as long as you work hard. Once you've made it to the top be perpared to be challenged. Good thing is their plenty of training.
Pros
Pays well with good benefits
Cons
Long hours---------long weeks.