Georgia-Pacific

Georgia-Pacific United States Employee Reviews

productive & responsible
Mechanic (Former Employee), easton paDecember 11, 2014
Pros: free education, free 2 lunch breaks
Cons: health care
everyone's day is well scheduled
Georgia Pacific offered me education at Northampton Community College for 2 years
Management was fine
Co-workers are nice people and good workers
The hardest part was the very hot atmosphere especially in summer time
The most enjoyably part is fixing the machines and start the lines for production. the challenging part of the job was awesome.
Everyone i worked with over the years were very professional always.
Palletizer Operator Wills (Former Employee), Camas WaDecember 9, 2014
Operating a state of the art computer controlled robotic palletizer and poly wrapping machines.Trouble shooting malfunctions.I learned over the years that there is a solution to almost every problem, and you will find it if you work at it long enough.My co-workers at G.P. were always supporting and helping this each other problem solving.The hardest part of this job was maintaining a fast paced production rate while receiving truck load shipments of operational supplies.The most enjoyable part of this job getting to know all the fine folks i have been able to meet over the years.
SAP, Benefits Administration, Retirees, Unions,
HUMAN RESOURCE GENERALIST, QA ANALYST (Former Employee), Atlanta, GADecember 2, 2014
Georgia Pacific was a great company to work for in the downtown Atlanta area. It was my introduction to SAP, Retirees and unions. The environment is professional and it was apparent that they cared for their employees. Great place to work!
Old school business with new world views
Human Resources Associate (Current Employee), Atlanta, GADecember 1, 2014
Pros: ability to develop and advance without office politics.
Cons: no free parties, lunches or employee gatherings.
Georgia Pacific is a not a company you are looking for if you enjoy free meals, gift cards and other perks. The compensation philosophy is based on total compensation for total contribution/value creation. This is not a seniority based company however. Within two years I managed to receive two raises of 10%. I am in a development program that lets me interact with all parts of the business from engineering directors to the president of the business. There are loads of opportunities for development and the team I work with is always very helpful and open to challenge which as young inexperienced employee means a lot. It is however a boring work environment. I work in the corporate center which basically looks like a building from the 50s but does not have the crazy fun dinner parties mystic you would see in Madmen. When talking to friends that have these parties or lunches and free gyms it really can be a bummer. However I look at this experience as an investment in myself so with that outlook it has been rewarding. I am sure that one day however the lack of any sort of social aspect at work will lead me to finding somewhere else to work.
Safety Safety Safety
Chop Saw Operator (Former Employee), Cuba, MONovember 23, 2014
Pros: great pay
Cons: fake hypocretes
From the time I started till the time I got fired all this company preached about was safety, Everything was highlighted with yellow paint. Everything had cages around it painted yellow. You could'nt even change you saw blade with out two locks on the power source and a signature from a supervisor who was constantly trying to talk to the young girl who was freshly out of high school. They constantly tried to catch you doing what was thought of as the unsafe way to do things. They thought anything was unpreventable and even an act of God could have been avoided. We had to were hard hats ,safety glasses ,steel toed shoes ,gloves ,and bright orange shirts tucked in. The day that there glue gun broke and sprayed me in the face with 375 degree Fahrenheit glue hardly anything was said. Especially when I had to challenge them for my unemployment.
Working to keep things safe.
Utility Worker (Former Employee), Hosford, FLNovember 18, 2014
Pros: good money, friendly people
Cons: dangerous work
A typical day at work would include showing up at work, have a team meeting, clock in, go out and start working, making sure that all of my area is clean so that the men that work on the machines can work in a clean environment. Also make sure that the area is clean so no fires break out, and if one does happen to beak out, me and my team workers get everything under control so that the appropriate people can put the fire out. Then after words its up to the utility crew to clean up.(push water outside.)
terible atmosfer to work
Industrial Maintenance Mechanic (Former Employee), Fairfax, SCNovember 14, 2014
Pros: heath care and lots of o/t
Cons: everything else.
First the company promises to advance pay after 90 day evaluation and with a great evaluation and perfect record there still was no pay advancement. After just shy of three years I was still at the same rate of pay that I started. The company also brings in employees at different rates of pay and does not base it on qualifications or experience. This plant works on a run to failure attitude.
Good Company Strong Core Values
Accounting and Human Resources Temp (Current Employee), Modesto, CANovember 13, 2014
Fast paced environment. New issues constantly pop up to test your human resource knowledge. Learning how it is like to work in a Union environment.
Company with opportunity
Shipping Clerk (Current Employee), Batavia, NYNovember 11, 2014
Pros: monthly banquets for being safe
Cons: manditory overtime on very short notice depending on call ins
My typical workday starts out with coming in and checking my company emails. Afterwards, I go over all orders that our customers request for the next day for delivery. The report I run shows if the product has been produced or not. And if it has been ran, if the order has ran complete or has been shortened due to production error. From there, I make sure the shortages are put back in the production que. From there, I map out when the last of each customers product will be done running and if it will be done running at a timely fashion to insure that the product will be delivered out on time. As a lead person, I direct and supervise team members as to what to load and what trailer need to be closed at certain times. I am in charge of giving them orders of certain task at hand that need to be completed. I am also in charge of generating shipping document and Canadian paperwork for loads to clear the boarder when crossing. I am also forklift certified to perform their tasks also when needed. My position was a management position. But for customer demand for the desire to only deal with and speak to one superior person in charge of the department instead of dealing with three different managers on different shifts, my position then became titled shipping clerk which consist of one on every three shifts. My co-workers look up to me for guidance and leadership throughout the night to get the task at hand done. I would say the hardest part of the job would be getting the product out in a timely fashion to insure that it arrive at the customer on time being that if production is having a bad night producing the product, it puts a strain on shipping to meet these timelines. I absolutely love the multitasking and the fast pace of the job. Its challenging and at the end of the day very gratifying to get all the load out the door and make the customer and the employer happy.
GP/Dixie was a good company. Decentralized command and control. As a manager, you were expected to make decision. When GP took full control, no one
Regional Manager/Sr Account Executive (Former Employee), Atlanta, GANovember 9, 2014
Pros: culture at the lower levels was good.
Cons: centralized command and control
Centralized command and control resulted in managers afraid to make the tough decisions.
productive
Control Room Operator (Former Employee), Doraville, GANovember 6, 2014
Pros: pay
Cons: management
good job but due to bad management the job shut down.
co workers attitude was all ways in good standards
Fast pace, serious work environment.
process aide (Former Employee), Diboll, TXNovember 2, 2014
Management is good and reliable. Work is fast pace. Always something new to learn. Many opportunities to advance. Job security is not the most reliable for career situation.
Production line
Production Supervisor (Former Employee), Cross City, FLOctober 27, 2014
Pros: one hour lunch, tow 15 minute break
Cons: long hours
Productive and Fast pace work area. You learn how to plain lumber for sale. Good management to train new employee's in all departments.
GENERAL LABORER (Former Employee), stakerOctober 26, 2014
It is a great place to work the stuff you have to deal with is manageable
negative atmosphere poor quality of life very low morale
Machine Operator (Current Employee), Mogadore, OHOctober 26, 2014
Pros: pays a livable wage
Cons: the schedule and general atmosphere
The work itself is not bad but the negative atmosphere that management and other workers project makes for a miserable place to be. The hardest part of the job is not knowing your schedule from day to day nothing is set. You could work eight hours or twelve hours, but usually twelve hours everyday. I do enjoy some of the people although its hard to get to know them because they usually quit real quick or they get fired. Turnover rate and call off rate is higher than I have ever seen anywhere.
Atmosphere
DCM Operator (Former Employee), Lexington, KYOctober 24, 2014
Pros: excellent pay and benefits
Cons: only had second and third shift available
I enjoyed working with Georgia Pacific. I only wish it was a first shift position. I missed spending time with my family.
Operator (Former Employee), West Chester, OhioOctober 23, 2014
Pros: free food friday
Cons: no raise or pay increase
Worst place to work, no raise 12hr shifts everyday. Management could careless about you. Rather work at Wendy's then go back to GP in West Chester. It's all about management or certain clicks they have. GOOD LUCK
Nice people to work for
Machine Operator (Current Employee), Lumberton NCOctober 21, 2014
I haved enjoyed working there, but i am looking for a day time job.
Internship at Georgia Pacific
IT Internship (Former Employee), AtlantaOctober 20, 2014
Pros: educational, new experiences, and irreplaceable work
Cons: time and scheduling
Attending Georgia State University, I was assigned a company and a project to accomplish. My group and I were assigned to work with Georgia Pacific to update their IT website. We had to make the web page more appealing and easier to navigate through. Working with Georgia Pacific was an amazing experience, I was able to cooperate and work in a team. We were provided with amazing resources, such as senior employees and project managers. With their assistance and our diligence to learn new programming languages, we accomplish our web page scope. Each week we were assigned a goal to accomplish, and if we didn't accomplish that goal, we would have to accomplish it the week after. A typical day at Georgia Pacific would be to enter our teams cubicle and work on our website. If we had any questions, we ask our superiors and our project manager for help. At the end of the week, we would have to summarize our weeks accomplishments and talk about next weeks goals. The hardest part about the job is our teams conflict with schedules, we could never schedule meetings, but we eventually worked it out and finish the project. We presented it to GP's senior employees, directors, and project managers.
My experience in one location was excellent while the other didn't seem like it was the same company
Sales Manager (Former Employee), Madera, CA & Waxahachie, TXOctober 17, 2014
Pros: in ca strong leadership with motivated employees in a great work enviroment
Cons: many employees had not had pay increases fo multiple years due to the corporate culture
Many of the people I worked with were very competent and a pleasure to work with. The people in California were excellent at their jobs and my direct supervisor was a pleasure to work for. We were a profitable operation in a tough market. The operation in Texas had little in common with the CA operation. Local management seemed only concerned with managing to please their corp. supervisor rather than getting long term results. Some of the upper management at corporate were insulated from the operations and didn't seek input from those with the expertise they lacked. This resulted in poor overall results that should have been much better.

About Georgia-Pacific

What's on Georgia-Pacific's mind? A whole lotta different products, that's what. Georgia-Pacific (GP) is one of the leading tissue – Read more

Georgia-Pacific Salaries