Georgia Aquarium Employee Reviews

Guest Services is the worst department to work in.
Team Specialist-Guest Services (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GANovember 14, 2017
Never work for Guest services. The managers are terrible !!! The have favoritism and choose who gets hours and doesn't. Take their time and sometimes don't allow employees to move up. Guest services is awful.
I was an intern, not an employee.
Georgia Aquarium Training Intern (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GASeptember 14, 2017
Even though I was an intern, I still learned a lot from the internship. I would recommend an internship here to anyone interested in animal training, but any kind of career desire is extremely competitive.
Good coworkers, iffy managers
Guest Services (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GASeptember 8, 2017
Depending on the time of year determines if the aquarium will be slow or fast paced. Saturdays were always fast paced regardless of the time of year. NO over time unless approved. No holiday pay and required to have holidays and had to be open for at least two of the considered three weekend days. wont be there past 9 unless you sign up for an event.
Pros
Free Parking, Free entry
Cons
30 min lunch break
fun job
Security Dispatcher and Dock Master (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAAugust 24, 2017
I truly enjoyed my time working at the Georgia Aquarium. Everyday was a different experience. I got the chance to work with the public, as well as behind the scenes.
Pros
fun job
Cons
very busy
Making experiences to live with
Guest Services Team Specialist (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJuly 29, 2017
Working at the Georgia Aquarium can be a bit tiring, dealing with unruly guests but most days are amazing, being able to be apart of an experience that most don't get on a day to day basis.
I've learned to take every moment in, magical things happen at the Aquarium every day and to be in the midst of it all is sometimes breathtaking. Although, management isn't the best of them all; I can honestly say they are there to please every guest possible and that's what I can respect the most about our management team. I would have to say the hardest part of my job is dealing with unruly guests; these are the guests that aren't pleased with anything but somehow you still have to make their experience worthwhile-swallowing your pride and putting on a smile is sometimes, what you have to do. I enjoy seeing the smiles guests have once they enter our doors, there's nothing like being apart of something that makes someone happy and meeting people from so many different cultures in one place!
Pros
Discounts, the interactions with animals
Cons
Unsatisfied guests, short breaks
fun place to work
Animal Trainer (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJuly 29, 2017
georgia aquarium is an exhilarating place to work, with great benefits and opportunities to develop skills and further education. The most enjoyable part of the job were the animals and educating guests from around the world.
Fun and friendly workplace
Guest Services (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJuly 24, 2017
I reccomend this job, especially to people with great customer service. The job requires good attitudes, great customer service skills, aiding customers, and helping each customer has a great experience.
Productive and Fun Workplace
Group Sales Intern (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJuly 17, 2017
As an intern at the Georgia Aquarium I enjoyed discounts and gained experienced for my hard work. I learned how to interact with customers as a first point of contact and I learned how to operate different programs. A typical day at work includes: checking emails, responding to higher-ups and customers, doing mail runs, collecting data for potential customer groups and auditing websites of Georgia Aquarium partners.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Can be boring
productive and fun
Primary Marine Mammal trainer/biologist (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJuly 16, 2017
I loved training animals and working with the public. I leaned so much about conservation and multiple species of animals.
I was able to grow as a person.
Pros
the animals and co workers
Cons
unexpected deaths of animals in your care
Active Workplace
Sales Associate/ Stocker (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJune 29, 2017
If you like working with people then the Aquarium is the perfect workplace. Very fast pace to work. A big plus is that you get see new faces everyday
Great facility
Intern (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJune 23, 2017
Georgia Aquarium is an incredible facility and is highly motivated to be the best of the best. It is hard work in the Zoological operations department but very rewarding to work with the animals.
Don't apply!
Guest Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJune 9, 2017
Do not, I repeat do not work for Guest Services !!! This department is the absolute worst! The management team is awful, communication is beyond ridiculous & very unprofessional. The managers stay on their phones, hide in the office all day until a show and treat their employees without a care to give. You could call out for a emergency and still get written up. If you have open availablity they will work you to death so say bye bye to getting the holidays and weekends off (No holiday pay). The work is easy but it's stressful at the same time. I would say to go work for a better company that cares! Bringing your family for a visit is a yes but working for this company is a no!
Pros
Get to see the animals daily
Cons
Management is horrible, no holiday pay/over time, never get a holiday off, get written up for everything
Volunteer
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJune 4, 2017
As a volunteer, I was able to see how an actual work day is like at the Georgia Aquarium. There are multiple things to do there but after a while, it does get boring.
Management was awful
Full Time Sales Lead (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 10, 2017
Most of my coworkers were good but Management was atrocious. They would punish us if they had to do any work. They would never finish training anyone and then they would get angry when we didnt know how to do something.
They wrote someone up for calling out because a family member died (and they knew why this person called out).
There were a lot of things wrong with this place and I would not recommend working here for your health and sanity.
Pros
the people
Great place to work.
Life Support Technician (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 8, 2017
Great place to work for. Good work life balance. Have freedom to be creative and think outside the box. I loved working for the company during my time there.
Pros
Animals
Cons
People
Fun environment
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 1, 2017
The job function was simple. Environment healthy. Interaction with the guest was fun. I only wished that I was full time employee so that I could be eligible for benefits.
Largest aquarium in the world
Senior Safety and Security Team Specialist (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 1, 2017
Enjoyed working here for 6 years as a security officer. Made many connections and grew my network to include high up people in the company. Fun environment to be a part of.
poor
Guest Services (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 1, 2017
work was alright. most employees made it worth while. some employees are drama filled and will try to get you fired and the managers side with them. favoritism is a thing there.
Pros
meet new people
Cons
guest are mean
Poor management
Employee (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAApril 10, 2017
The management at the aquarium is absolutely clueless to the needs of their employees. They only do in house training and believe that anything more is a waste of time and money. Concerns and complaints from employees typically fall on deaf ears. This can be a good job, but a terrible career.
Pros
Lots of great people work for the company
Cons
Lots of terrible people manage the company
There is no future for me at the gift shop
Head Cashier (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMarch 13, 2017
I've Worked for event network for almost two years now, and I do not see any future in that company.
Out of all the people I got hired with I am the only one that stayed. However, loyalty and hard work are not looked upon in this job. I need something I can work my way up with hard work and dedication