Georgia Aquarium

Georgia Aquarium Employer Reviews

Great People to Work With, Team Oriented
Intern (Former Employee), Atlanta, GADecember 9, 2014
Pros: amazing coworkers, great company culture, rewarding, enter in one position but can move to another after time
Cons: lower than average pay
The Georgia Aquarium is a fantastic place to work for those who don't mind working very hard for not great pay. The people you work with quickly become your second family. They are extremely friendly and fun to be around. The pay isn't the best because so many people want to have the job you do so you can be easily replaced. But the atmosphere and culture is the best around. It is definitely one of those places you get out what you put in.
Fast-paced environment yet easily accomplished
Director, Content Management & Training (Former Employee), Atlanta, GADecember 4, 2014
Pros: fast paced environment
Cons: not really a con, but never ending
As an employee at the Aquarium, I learned very quickly how to prioritize and accomplish my tasks. With those employees who worked for me, I was able to delegate appropriately to allow them growth and success.
the beautiful animals
Housekeeping Environmental Operation Specialist (Former Employee), atlanta gaNovember 30, 2014
Pros: veiw the animals
Cons: healthcare
a day at work i loved the animal and helping people co-worker and manager.hardest was when they change the shift from midnite to morning.the most enjoyable time was the animals.
is a fun productive work place. interact with people all over the world.
Guest Service Operator (Current Employee), Atlanta, GANovember 25, 2014
Pros: meeting people from all over the world
Cons: short breaks, health coverage
what I like the most about working at Aquarium is that I get to meet people all over the world. I love to interact people it makes my day better.. it improved my interaction with people with different culture and languages. I like my co-workers they are very welcoming and kind. as far as my management go they all seem pretty nice and understanding. the hardest is being outside sometimes in the cold. my least favorite about is having to be in cold directing customers to the place. I'm a people person and I tend to get alone with everyone and I try to learn from others as well...
Cool Job
Environmental Educator (Current Employee), Atlanta, GANovember 3, 2014
I love my job, salary is too low. I like the people I work with and I get to see very cool animals all the time.
Fish
Customer Service (Former Employee), Atlanta, GAOctober 12, 2014
Attraction is a busy job towork at. It is different everyday Typical work day is versy busy all the time
Workplace with job opportunities for advancement.
Manager (Current Employee), Atlanta, GaOctober 8, 2014
Pros: able to interact and talk to people
A typical work day will consist of checking or following up on emails.
The hardest part of the job is dealing with budget for months.
The most enjoyable part of the day is talking to co-workers about their day and family.
The best job I've ever had!!
Guest Experience (Current Employee), Atlanta, GaSeptember 3, 2014
Pros: great benefits, employee incentives/discounts, free annual pass for yourself/family/friends
Cons: no holidays off (even christmas!!) no time and a half for holidays, no room for advancement
I love everything the Georgia Aquarium stands for. Their research and conservation efforts are helping bring awareness to endangered species , recycling, and water pollution among other things. The animals are treated like royalty and receive first class care, even food. The facility is beautiful and you can tell a lot of thought and money was put in to building it. Unfortunately the aquarium doesn't do much for its community. We are up the street from the Atlanta Union Mission and not far from several other shelters and organizations that need help. We are constantly asking for donations but its not payed forward. I believe we would receive more support FROM Atlanta if we showed more support TO Atlanta. This is a great job, very fun, but i wouldn't recommend it for an individual who is looking for advancement opportunities. Those are slim to none and most managers give openings to their friends or family. Its not fair. Also there are A LOT of "bosses". Their are SO many managers, assistant managers and directors (EVEN a SENIOR manager!!!) whatever that is. Management needs work. The way they speak to employees is unacceptable. WE take classes on hospitality and customer service, They need to take classes on better managerial skills and communication. Too many chiefs and not enough Indians!! They are constantly worrying about the budget and i believe this is part of the problem, but who am I...? My co-workers and the benefits are what has kept me here this long. I've been working here since 2007 and its time to move on!
the aquarium is a fun place to work.
Sales Associate (Former Employee), Atlanta, GAAugust 31, 2014
The Aquarium is a fun, but pretty clear cut work place. They expect you to show up with a smile and a can do attitude, and perform your job duties to best of your abilities. If you do that then the aquarium will be you oyster.
Great place to work, just don't expect to stay long.
On-Call Technician (Current Employee), Atlanta, GAAugust 3, 2014
Pros: dolphins, easy work, great benefits, good hours.
Cons: job security, indecisive management
The job duties are simple, efficient, and can be really fun. A typical day usually involves me working a position in the show, which is either a spotlight operator, or a wardrobe coordinator. In the morning, we would test the equipment, the lights, the audio, the video, and set props and costume pieces. And then, we mostly just worked on secondary projects until it's show time. Shows lasted no more than 30 minutes each, and as a spotlight operator I would do dolphin pickups, and as a wardrobe coordinator I would be the running crew behind the stage, and handing off props to the performer.

During this job, I was able to be forklift trained, I took all kinds of educational classes about the other animals in the aquarium, learn about the dolphins, and a little bit about zoonotic diseases and prevention. I learned more about Martin 2000 fixtures and Martin III fixtures because our lighting rig was full of them.

The job security is terrible. I have been a part-time employee for a year and a half, and I worked very hard. Any time they need me to come in and cover a shift I would drop what I was doing and come in immediately. I never would fill out request forms because I wanted to work. I would go out of my way to make sure that all tasks were completed and I would ask others if they needed help on projects. And I understand the point of waiting for an open position in full-time, but what keeps happening here is this. The Georgia Aquarium keeps taking these full-time positions and splitting them into two part-time positions. It's extremely frustrating to see all these positions – more... that I would be excellent in just slip by because the Aquarium has decided it wants to suddenly hire only part-time workers.

The management staff is a quite slow to make decisions effectively. There would be orders for parts, such as paint or props, on standby for months because they can't make an effective decision. We need parts to complete our jobs. If we don't have what we need to finish a project, then we can't complete it. There is no passion or support for the employees. I feel the management would stretch its crew members to limit in order to save a dime somewhere else in the budget. They would do this by making them come in on their days off, or alter the schedule completely and have people work different positions because the hours on a couple of crew members were limited. For example, they would also rather have employees who work as a Lighting director or a spot operator run the wardrobe position for a several days (which is not what they were trained to do) because management has the actual wardrobe coordinator as a part time employee and can't cover the rest of the week. – less
A great place to work if you love animals
Laboratory Technician (Former Employee), Atlanta, GAJuly 30, 2014
Pros: everything
Cons: traffic depending on schedule.
This is the best place I have ever worked. Great coworkers who provided a lot of guidance and training.
Work Ethics
Greet and assist customers (Current Employee), Atlanta,GAJune 25, 2014
I make sure my job is done before I leave, also it is done the right way according to the rules.
Great Experience
Intern (Former Employee), Atlanta,GaMay 11, 2014
This company really goes over and beyond when it comes to employee satisfaction. The general work place will put a smile on your face. How could you not grin at least once during the day when you look at a penguin or dolphin.

The internship program is wonderful. You receive many hours and they are quite flexible with your schedule. It is a learning experience!

The cons:
-long daily hours
-unpaid
Work Place
Butler (Current Employee), Atlanta, GAFebruary 24, 2014
Pros: easy money, table setting knowledge
Cons: healthcare, benefits, part time, no raise
Its busy but just not enough work for me personally. Teaches me everything about front of the house.
Excellent place to work.
Floor Technician (Former Employee), Atlanta, GAJanuary 10, 2014
It was a pleasure to work there. People were always smiling and it was infectious. Management saw to the needs of all the employees and was very accommodating. The hardest part was the end of my seasonal employment. The most enjoyable part was contributing to a pleasurable environment for the visitors.
Fun place to work
Cashier Lead (Former Employee), Atlanta, GAJanuary 7, 2014
A typical day of work would consist of working in the gift shop near the dolphin show, cleaning and repairing the store. I did not enjoy this retail experience for the most part because management was so poor with communication. I learned the true meaning of time management and how to move forward with a new career.
Awesome Experience for the PR Professional
Senior Public Relations Specialist (Current Employee), Atlanta, GADecember 10, 2013
Currently, as the Senior Public Relations Specialist for Georgia Aquarium, I develop and execute communications strategies to build the reputation and brand of one of the largest and most dynamic aquariums in the world. In this role, I proactively pitch local, regional and national media outlets and have worked with some of the top national news producers and freelance writers, resulting in consistent national press coverage for Georgia Aquarium. To this end, I have led publicity campaigns that have netted $356,000 in public relations value and more than 26 million impressions. I not only maintain an existing media database, but have also established new relationships with regional, national and international media correspondents that have contributed to the attainment of $18 million in annual publicity value.

In addition to leading external public relations endeavors, I actively work in an internal communications capacity in crafting senior level talking points, statements, opinion editorials and speeches on behalf of the Aquarium’s president, COO and other administrators.
Endless educational ocean conservation messages
Volunteer (Current Employee), Atlanta GaDecember 5, 2013
Pros: endless educational oppurtunities
Cons: the day ends
I Enjoy the experience many educational choices. As a volunteer I have been provided with animal interactions endless choices.
Fun place
Animal Care and Training Specialist II (Current Employee), Atlanta, GAOctober 31, 2013
A large, diverse collection of animals and people. Typical day includes prepping food for the animals, cleaning, training sessions and interaction programs with guests.
FUN LEARNING ABOUT MARINE LIFE ANIMALS
TEAM MEMBER-HOUSE KEEPING (Former Employee), Atlanta, GASeptember 11, 2013
Pros: learned alot, about marine life animals
Cons: the co-workers were lazyand managers had no managerial experience
I WORKED AT NIGHT. SO I CLEANED THE BALCONY GLASSES, CLEANED THE PUBLIC, OFFICE, RESTROOMS, LOCKERROOMS, DUSTING, STOCKING SUPPLIES, SWEEPING, MOPPING, FLOORS. THE HARDEST PART WHEN I COULDN'T REACH WALLS EVEN WITH A STEP LADDER, OR CLEANING THE OPPOSITE SIDE OF THE GALSS BALCONY'S. I LOVED THE SLEPPOVER'S THAT THEY HAD FOR THE CHILDREN AND PARENTS.