Payton B. Cook Forensic Hospital*, part of Central State Hospital(CSH), located in Milledgeville, GA is seeking a *Nurse Manager for their Forensic Services.
The hospital is Georgia's first public psychiatric hospital, founded in 1842 to provide a safe and humane environment for Georgians with mental illness and developmental disabilities.
CSH Forensic Services provides individuals who are referred by the criminal justice system for pre-trial psychiatric evaluation and/or inpatient treatment; those who have been found not guilty by reason of insanity (NGRI) at the time of commission of a crime or mentally incompetent to stand trial (IST); those who are admitted with hold orders from jails for psychiatric evaluation, treatment and stabilization; and those who are referred from Georgia Department of Corrections prisons for inpatient psychiatric treatment.
This is a Monday through Friday Day Shift Position
Plans, implements, and evaluates nursing care for a unit or shift. Ensures that staff assess client health problems and needs, develop and implement nursing care plans, and maintain medical records. Oversees the provision and quality of nursing care to ill, injured, convalescent, or disabled clients. Advises clients on health maintenance and disease prevention or provide case management. Supervises and plans work of assigned staff.
Job Responsibilities & Performance Standards:
Supervises and plans work of assigned staff
1. Defines goals and/or required results at beginning of performance period and gains acceptance of ideas creating a shared vision.
2. Communicates regularly with staff on progress toward defined goals and/or required results, providing specific feedback and initiating corrective action when defined goals and/or required results are not met.
3. Confers regularly with staff to review employee relations climate, specific problem areas and actions necessary for improvement.
4. Evaluates employees as scheduled intervals, obtains and considers all relevant information in evaluations and supports staff by giving praise and constructive criticism.
5. Recognizes contributions and celebrates accomplishments.
6. Motivates staff to improve quantity and quality of work performed and provides training and development opportunities as appropriate.
Administers prescribed medications or starts intravenous fluids, and notes times and amounts on clients' charts
1. Maintains a current awareness of the abilities and limitations of each nursing staff member on the particular unit.
2. Demonstrates effective managerial and clinical judgement in assigning duties appropriate to each individual.
3. Effectively utilizes staff within staffing guidelines. Adjusts assignments according to changes in staffing.
4. Always plans and schedules staffing to meet patient care needs.
Consults and coordinates with health care team members to assess, plan, implement and evaluate client care plans
1. Provides leadership through planning, organizing, coordinating, continually monitoring and thoroughly evaluating the care given to patients on the unit.
2. Actively participates in the development and application of nursing care plans on the nursing unit. Ensures that the care plans are completed in accordance with policy and standards of care for each patient.
3. Regularly reviews work in progress in order to ensure that all treatments, medications and diagnostic tests ordered by the physician are carried out promptly, and properly recorded.
4. Regularly assists with patient care responsibilities. Assumes a limited patient caseload as necessary.
5. Consistently demonstrates an ability to set appropriate priorities in directing patient care and activities in an organized and time conscious manner.
6. Ensures documentation is clear, concise, timely, and reflects ongoing plan of care and patient's response to nursing actions.
Maintains accurate, detailed reports and client records
1. Interviews applicants or employees to fill vacancies or promotional positions according to applicable laws, rules, and policies.
2. Selects or promotes the appropriate number of individuals who possess the skills needed to perform the required work.
3. Discusses potential grievance-related concerns with employees in order to identify options or resolve issues prior to the formal filing of a grievance.
4. Advises employees of established grievance procedures.
5. Recommends or initiates disciplinary actions according to applicable rules and policies.
Modifies client treatment plans as indicated by clients' responses and conditions
1. Interprets policies and procedures for subordinates and monitors adherence to budgets.
2. Develops unit nursing policies and procedures that support overall unit, nursing department, and hospital objectives and comply with established guidelines.
3. Assists in developing departmental and hospital policies and procedures.
4. Demonstrates a thorough knowledge of, and adherence to, the policies and procedures of the nursing department and hospital. Holds staff accountable for carrying out all nursing and hospital policies and procedures.
5. Advises and informs staff of current or revised policies, procedures, and operational changes in a manner supportive of the organization.
6. Provides input regarding budget for area of responsibility in a complete and accurate manner.
Monitors all aspects of client care, including diet and physical activity
1. Identifies staff development needs. Meets those needs by developing and/or assisting in developing appropriate instructional programs. Provides information to others to help create needed educational programs, as necessary.
2. Regularly provides for ongoing development of staff members through scheduling staff for in-service programs, continuing education programs and participation in committees or meetings.
3. Regularly conducts or assists with patient and staff education programs.
Monitors, records and reports symptoms and changes in clients' conditions
1. Coordinates and plans with other departmental personnel for the maintenance of units and equipment. Ensures adequate unit supplies.
2. Ensures a safe, clean, attractive environment for patients, staff and visitors at all times.
3. Inspects the unit on a daily basis for proper equipment functions and ensures that all equipment necessary for patient care is in proper working condition.
4. Assesses the physical condition of the unit on a regular basis. Reports needed repairs or alterations to the appropriate hospital personnel on a timely basis. Assures that infection control policies are carried out.
5. Responds to critical situations involving unit, patients, staff and visitors in a professional manner.
6. Periodically performs Nurse Administrator duties, as required.
Observes nurses and visits clients to ensure that proper nursing care is provided
1. Ensures nursing quality improvement standards are understood and met by all staff members.
2. Reports quality improvement activities as required by departmental/hospital policy.
3. Effectively establishes lines of communication among shifts by conducting or assuring regular nursing shift reports, conferences, and meetings involving staff from the different shifts.
4. Audits patient records periodically to assure that medical/nursing documentation complies with standards of the hospital, JCAHO, and any/all other relevant organizations.
Prepares clients for, and assists with, examinations and treatments
1. Establishes therapeutic relationships with patients.
2. Reports any form of patient abuse according to hospital policy.
3. Provides effective communication of complaints or incidents to appropriate personnel.
4. Conducts periodic staff meetings and maintains written communications system for staff review and update.
Prepares rooms, sterile instruments, equipment and supplies, and ensures that stock of supplies is maintained
1. Attends internal and external educational programs and professional meetings as available for continuing professional education.
2. Attends regular meetings of available and applicable professional organizations.
3. Reads and evaluates professional literature on continual basis, translates complex or technical information into a format that can be understood by others, and distributes as needed.
4. Incorporates knowledge of pertinent new trends and developments into section policies and procedures for any related organizational changes.
5. Attends and participates in department and unit meetings, as scheduled.
Provides education to client and family
Provides health care, first aid, immunizations and assistance in convalescence and rehabilitation
Ability to assess, plan for, and provide basic nursing skills; knows procedures including developing, implementing and revising plan of care
Knowledge of nursing policies, procedures, protocols, treatments, standards of care and nurse practice act
Knowledge of the procedures for medication administration and can administer oral, sublingual and IV medications; knowledge of pharmacology
Knowledge of immunization regulations and protocols
Ability to perform CPR and for some sites, AED
Skills in supervision/leadership, including team leadership, performance management, training/teaching, decision making and delegation; knowledge of employee job classifications and responsibilities
Ability to plan for unit needs
Current Georgia license to practice as a registered professional nurse AND Two or more years of experience in a managerial, supervisory or leadership role
Special consideration will be given to the candidate who possess skills in the following areas.
Completion of a Master's degree in Nursing a plus