Georgia Department of Human Services Employee Reviews in United States

A tiger can only hide his stripes for so long!
MES (Former Employee) –  Paulding County, GAMarch 10, 2016
The workload can be difficult to handle depending on the Region you are assigned to. Love the fact that cases aren't just cases, they have actual people attached to them that are in need of governmental assistance and are depending on you to correctly process their application, liked having a flexible schedule & love being able to give people my best.
Management pretends to care but they truly don't. On paper it will look as if you are getting the correct training but in turn you are not. Managers will throw you under the bus to keep themselves afloat and smile at you while they are drowning you. Your job is just that, your job; not a popularity contest, not a kiss your behind festival & most definitely not a place where you thought you were safe, comfortable and you would receive proper training & support from management... But you cannot when the TIGER'S STRIPES BECOME VISIBLE AND YOUR DINNER!!!!
**They have permanently fouled up any opportunity for me to become employed with the state again. My manager failed me.
Pros
Case processing gives that sense of accomplishment, My team was heaven sent.
Cons
Improper training, High turnover rate, Devils living in disguise, mgrs don't care & there isn't a method to the madness, rules change on a daily basis w/o you even knowing, case process changes frequently and w/o notice, Management is never anyone to confide in like they shoud be they will be the first to burn you
productive and fun
case manager (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GANovember 12, 2015
its a great place to work the people are great and the atmosphere is very family friendly. When you come into the office you are provided with a caseload; you work your cases and you leave with a great feeling that you helped someone today.
Very Structured
HR Transaction Tech. (AL) (Current Employee) –  Griffin, GANovember 2, 2015
Staff very supportive of employees personal needs. Mgrmt. making certain to make a wellness meeting with staff. Policy and procedures very clear.
Pros
Mgmt. Family Oriented
work from home
Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAOctober 13, 2015
very independent, task-oriented when busy, calls are typical of a call center environment, can get hostile but always someone on the line to be of assistance. easy work.
The Hardest Part of The Job
Social Services Protect and Placement Specialist (Former Employee) –  Columbus, GAOctober 1, 2015
The hardest part of the job was dealing with 40 cases at one time, having to be on call, and still not getting paid overtime.
Not a nice place to work
Aging Services Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 27, 2015
Management lacks vision and interpersonal skills. The employees are great but are not supported by managers. Low morale in the department. Could be great if management was responsive and demonstrated that they care about the employees. Employees care about the people they serve and go above the call of duty to resolve client issues. Co-workers generally support each other. Great teamwork!
Pros
Flexible work schedules
Cons
Bad managers
Good company to work for
DHS/DCSS Communication Center Manager (Current Employee) –  Downtown AtlantaMay 13, 2015
Enjoy helping people and making sure the children of Georgia get the support they need. Great work hours. Great opportunities. Awesome benefits.
Pros
Awesome work family, benefits
Cons
Little to no raise
State Government Job
Case Manager/ Customer Contact Center (Former Employee) –  Georgia Dept of Human ServicesMarch 10, 2015
Your day is planned out. You will have quotas to meet. A repetitive job. Little room to grow. A lot of turnovers. Had 4 different supervisors in 6 months.
Pros
government job
Cons
micro managing
Flexible work schedule
Social Services Protect and Placement Specialist (Current Employee) –  Muscogee County, GAJanuary 8, 2015
The advantages of working with the state of Georgia is job security and flexibility. They workers are mostly underpaid and understaffed
Pros
flexibiity and job security
Cons
underpaid, understaffed
Stable Work Environment Serving Citizens of Georgia
Consultant, Lead Sr. Developer (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GADecember 2, 2014
I stayed at this job for quite a long time. It was a very stable and secure job, and convenient to Conyers via GRTA commuter bus. I was there as a Consultant and worked several major projects. I learned a lot about leading major projects, problem analysis, and being a lead to other developers. I adjusted to several management changes over the years. The hardest part of the job was the requirements gathering process which sometimes delayed project development. I enjoyed my co-workers, some are lifelong friends. The most enjoyable part of the job was knowing I was providing a service to the needy citizens of the state of Georgia.
Pros
job stability, good commute from conyers
Cons
management inexperience, lack of department continuity
Working for the Human Services in Georgia
Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Decatur, GAOctober 14, 2014
A typical day at work it very hectic. It requires multi-tasking and prioritizing multiple things in one day. I learned more about the foster care system and the responsibilities of a Human Service worker.
Pros
flexible lunches
Cons
strenuous issues within upper management
Ficm I
Family Independence Case Manager I (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GASeptember 22, 2014
Assess clients’ needs and establish eligibility for benefits and services such as food stamps and Medicaid.
Manage high volume caseload of clients on a daily basis.
Provide emotional support to clients and report progress to supervisors and administrative managers.
Pros
helping eligible families locate supporting programs to better themselves
Cons
temporary employment
n/a
regional receptionist/administration (Current Employee) –  Rome, GAAugust 20, 2014
i liked my job, the staff, managers, and clients.
The hardest thing was that my job is a new position that was created in April of this year.
Productive and Fun workplace
Enforcement Specialist (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJuly 3, 2014
I can use one word to describe how a typical work day at work would be:Busy; I have learned a lot of information to move forward in my career. I can use two words to describe management “take actions”. I can use one word to describe co-workers "resourceful". The hardest part of the job is dealing with the ADA. The most enjoyable part of the job is the training.
Great company
Economic Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJune 18, 2014
This company was a true blessing and it gave me the true skills needed to pursue a career in my field of choice.
Pros
flexibility
Cons
low staff
Great opportunity to learn about child welfare
Program Consultant (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 27, 2014
Managing every facet of the Wednesday's Child program, i.e. Producing segments, manage/report program data/outcomes, manage program budget, plan and execute special events, plan and execute annual recruitment strategy
Pros
flexible schedule, fitness center
Cons
n/a
Fiscal Contract Specialist (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAApril 17, 2014

Tell us about:

a typical day at work
what you learned
management
your co-workers
the hardest part of the job
the most enjoyable part of the job
Very Stressful
Bilingual Customer Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAApril 9, 2014
Typical Day at Work was working from home, Management are corrupt people and they don't care about their employees. Horrible how they treat people that apply for benefits.
Cons
horrible
Great place to work. Loved the work schedule flexibility
Economic Supprt Specialist (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMarch 14, 2014
Great place to work. Loved the work schedule flexibility. It was short tenured due to downsizing.
Typical Social Services environment
Social Services Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Decatur, GADecember 23, 2013
So disorganized and chaotic. There are hardworking people who are over worked, underpaid. Management tries to empathize and does their best. The turnover is too high.
Pros
full time position with benefits
Cons
overworked, underpaid