Georgia Department of Human Services Employee Reviews

Human Resources Generalist II (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GANovember 1, 2017
It’s a great place to wor. A lot of opportunity for growth. Management is great, they are willing to coach and develop you. You are giving yearly reviews with raise and IDPs
This job is very stressful.
Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAOctober 23, 2017
This job can be very stressful. Management is poor. You get the training but no support behind it. Sometimes you can work very long hours etc. This is a beginners job but if a person is looking for advanccement, it's not here.
benefits
Cons
stressful, long hours, poor management etc.
Stressful for the low compensation
Economic Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Douglas, GAOctober 16, 2017
When you begin a job at DFCS, you are excited by the multiple promises made of easy career advancement and quick allotment of vacation pay. While I found that the promise of vacation was accurate, the promise of advancement is greatly exaggerated. When someone did have the opportunity to advance, it was rarely worth it as the compensation was not worth the stress that came with supervisory work.
Pros
Vacation hours
Cons
Unreasonable work load
Productive, fast paste workplace
Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Jonesboro, GASeptember 22, 2017
Interesting, fast paste, work place. A typical day consist of answering and returning calls, generating certificates for new and current clients, resolving issues face-to-face, email, and via telephone.
Ga dhs
Lead Instructional Designer (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GASeptember 19, 2017
Bad leadership, nice benefits...choose your poison. Really took this job for retirement and benefits. However, after nearly one year in, I am ready to leave. Not my culture....way behind the times in workplace progress.
Government bureaucracy at its finest.
Pros
N/a
Cons
N/a
Depends on which office you land in
Eligibility Specialist (Former Employee) –  Alamo, GAAugust 22, 2017
Generally I enjoyed my job. I loved helping those members of the community that are less fortunate, and I loved the fellowship within the office. However, the regional director would not allow for a tiny schedule adjustment to accommodate my education, so I had to make changes.
Hated DHS
Budget Specialist (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAAugust 16, 2017
I absolutely hated this job. There were so many micro managers to count. Everyone wanted to show that they were the boss. I was glad to get out. The agency is a mess!!
Policy driven and data entry environment
Program Consultant (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAAugust 11, 2017
Given the climate of the department due to the Kenny A consent decree, focus is mostly on meeting specific outcomes. Initially, work culture is enjoyable. Management can be quite micromanaging.

Colleagues that have tenure with the department can be a great resource. However, be very discerning who you disclose information with. The most rewarding part of the job is knowing that you are attempting to make a difference in the life of an unknown youth. The hardest part of the job is navigating through the politics and management style.

Before signing your contract, we sure you read and ask questions about what your 'true' job description would entail. Never be afraid to utilize your Human Resource Generalist when needed. Policy and procedures are always your best friend.
Pros
Flexibility in work hours.
Cons
Long work hours with data entry and management.
A Great Place to Grow
Compliance Investigator (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJune 27, 2017
A career with the state is an awesome opportunity to grow as well as give back. The most enjoyable part of the job is the flexibility as well as constant learning.
Great job. loved being able to assist people in need
Economic Support Specialist (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 18, 2017
Great job. There are many people in need of help. They come to us to provide assistance in any way the state can help. I enjoyed helping the people of Atlanta and look forward to continuing serving people in need no matter the state.
Pros
Great benefits
Cons
Unorgamkzed
Knowing that you are helping a child or family is what it is all about
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMarch 10, 2017
Must have "tough skin" when working in this field, but knowing that you have saved a child's life or aided in a family in need is of great benefit....
Fun yet a little stressful
Family Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMarch 8, 2017
providing benefits for needed families food stamps and Medicaid I learned how to process cases to determine benefits amount I learned how to read records to ensure clients was receiving the correct amount of benefits I also trained new employees the hardest part of my job was not being paid enough to be a state employee but I truly enjoyed working with my peers and helping families.
Overworked and underpaid
Economic Specialist Consultant (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMarch 1, 2017
I process cases all day long. I enjoy my colleagues. Th workplace culture is not diverse as I would like. I have learned that I have a passion for helping individuals and families.
Pros
I can make my own work schedule.
Cons
Salary is not great.
A last resort.
Economic Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Decatur, GAFebruary 23, 2017
Not the best place. They expect a lot for no money. They even said they don't have to give you breaks. Such a horrible culture. Try to find something else if at all possible.
Pros
Let me get back to you.
Cons
Pay, management, expectations.
Rewarding work experenice
Social Service Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Decatur, GAFebruary 7, 2017
Helping young people and families achieve their potential is the most rewarding aspect of being a social worker and I entered social work to make a difference to my community.
Pros
I like being a social worker because of the positive outcomes I can help clients achieve.
Cons
Being a social worker might be labeled by some to be rewarding, but it can also be emotionally draining.
Stable employment
Quality Assurance Specialist (Former Employee) –  McDonough, GAJanuary 12, 2017
OIG is a great place to work. The state does not have as good of benefits as one might think but it is a stable place of employment. I enjoyed being a part of DFCS and helping children.
Please bypass this employer(DHS/DFCS)
Economic Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Region 4January 10, 2017
Employees are not compensated for the jobs performed. Anytime money can be used for salary increases or bonuses for employees, the agency finds another use for the funds such as more computer equipment or computer programs etc. Sometimes they just create an excuse not to compensate employees.

Management is very critical of employees causing low morale. Upper management even refuses to speak or even acknowledge workers when working in local offices. They refuse to make eye contact but then will have the audacity to state how they appreciate the work being completed at the end of an email.

Promotions are given based upon who a supervisor likes not based upon qualifications. Most supervisors I have worked under had very poor interpersonal skills and lack the ability to not allow their personal feelings about a worker to influence their decisions.
Pros
Always hiring, flex benefits, day shift
Cons
No raises, low morale, micro management
Temp
Child Support Agent II (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GADecember 8, 2016
If the program pay on time and ran correctly, I believe the program could have been a success. But someone was dropping the ball
Very busy place to work
Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Monroe, GANovember 30, 2016
The benefits are great however the compensation is very low. This is suited for individuals with a two income household.
Benefits
Cons
Low Salary
Great starter job
Eligibility Specialist (Former Employee) –  Bluffton, SCNovember 18, 2016
A typical day at work would consist of me assisting clients in a courteous and professional manner via the telephone. Assuring that I have gather all of the information from them that is needed for me to assistance them with getting certification. Assist my co-worker as needed. The most enjoyable part of my job is to know that I have satisfied my clients to best of my ability.
Pros
Great job
Cons
To long of a drive