Georgia Department of Human Services Employee Reviews

Please bypass this employer(DHS/DFCS)
Economic Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Region 4January 10, 2017
Employees are not compensated for the jobs performed. Anytime money can be used for salary increases or bonuses for employees, the agency finds another use for the funds such as more computer equipment or computer programs etc. Sometimes they just create an excuse not to compensate employees.

Management is very critical of employees causing low morale. Upper management even refuses to speak or even acknowledge workers when working in local offices. They refuse to make eye contact but then will have the audacity to state how they appreciate the work being completed at the end of an email.

Promotions are given based upon who a supervisor likes not based upon qualifications. Most supervisors I have worked under had very poor interpersonal skills and lack the ability to not allow their personal feelings about a worker to influence their decisions.
Pros
Always hiring, flex benefits, day shift
Cons
No raises, low morale, micro management
too many reorganizations - 5 supervisors in 2 years.
Family Independence Case Manager (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, GANovember 2, 2016
terrible place to work. too much work and pay is horrible. hard to take time off. required to maintain at least 40 hours on books. employees have no say so. crooked supervisors from immediate supervisor all the way up to the district manager. management does not listen to employee's concerns. management uses work time and state computers to watch movies and shop online. When higher authorities were notified, they apparently did not handle well. So it sucks to be a whistle blower. I got fired, but the supervisor got promoted to a higher level with more pay.

Pay is not commensurate with job knowledge and responsibilities or requirements. This is an office job but you feel like you work in a warehouse on a production line. Because there are so many clients / people that need help and an employee is expected to work production i.e. get so many cases done per hour and quality is often overlooked.
Pros
you help clients.
Cons
too much work, little pay. resembles working a production job.
Stable employment
Quality Assurance Specialist (Former Employee) –  McDonough, GAJanuary 12, 2017
OIG is a great place to work. The state does not have as good of benefits as one might think but it is a stable place of employment. I enjoyed being a part of DFCS and helping children.
Very busy place to work
Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Monroe, GANovember 30, 2016
The benefits are great however the compensation is very low. This is suited for individuals with a two income household.
Benefits
Cons
Low Salary
Don't work here
Case Manager (Former Employee) –  GeorgiaJune 9, 2016
Poor salary and different salary offered to different races. Blacks earn less than whites please think twice
Not friendly no room for advancement .cant live poor health insurance, low salary, high deductible. Poor moral
Great starter job
Eligibility Specialist (Former Employee) –  Bluffton, SCNovember 18, 2016
A typical day at work would consist of me assisting clients in a courteous and professional manner via the telephone. Assuring that I have gather all of the information from them that is needed for me to assistance them with getting certification. Assist my co-worker as needed. The most enjoyable part of my job is to know that I have satisfied my clients to best of my ability.
Pros
Great job
Cons
To long of a drive
Good job security because people are always in need.
After Hours Social Services Case Manager (Current Employee) –  GeorgiaNovember 25, 2015
The salary is over $30,000 which is considered "decent" for south west Georgia because of the cheaper cost of living. It takes several tries to get on but when you do, you can definitely move around if you are a hard worker and build a good reputation amongst your colleagues. Sad to say but child abuse is constant so you will always have job security. Benefits are average, no raises unless you move around. Working from home was a perk at first but got old after while. Management took advantage of employees who worked at home and expect employees to be at their beckon call 24 hours regardless if it is outside your shift. Call center is fast paced and will ask you to work over your allotted time if you are not finished with no overtime and will often deny leave and ask a billion questions if you get sick and ask for sick leave. They expect you to take care of everybody else family but your own.
Pros
Job security, average pay and benefits
Cons
Not being able to finish on time, poor structure, high turnover, extremely low morale, leave denials often even when you have worked for it
A last resort.
Economic Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Decatur, GAFebruary 23, 2017
Not the best place. They expect a lot for no money. They even said they don't have to give you breaks. Such a horrible culture. Try to find something else if at all possible.
Pros
Let me get back to you.
Cons
Pay, management, expectations.
Temp
Child Support Agent II (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GADecember 8, 2016
If the program pay on time and ran correctly, I believe the program could have been a success. But someone was dropping the ball
Very Busy and High Productivity
Financial Operations Generalist (Former Employee) –  2 Peachtree Street, Atlanta, GA 30303June 6, 2013
A typical day at work was very busy. Heavy customer service, budget management, business coding and problem solving to accurately meet payment requirements were normal daily tasks. I learned to be a great listener, to think outside the box to solve problems and to take good care of my internal/external customers. My supervisor was great to work with and for. He allowed me to be an independent thinker, supported good discussions and provided direction when needed. My co-workers and I worked well together as a team. We also participated in office social events (salad day, clarity fund raisers, etc.). The hardest part of my job was to get proper coding to make payments. I enjoyed working with my supervisor, co-workers and satisfying my custmers.
Pros
Planning social events, pleasing my customers and knowing I did my very best.
Cons
Lack of growth and being given more responsibility.
A tiger can only hide his stripes for so long!
MES (Former Employee) –  Paulding County, GAMarch 10, 2016
The workload can be difficult to handle depending on the Region you are assigned to. Love the fact that cases aren't just cases, they have actual people attached to them that are in need of governmental assistance and are depending on you to correctly process their application, liked having a flexible schedule & love being able to give people my best.
Management pretends to care but they truly don't. On paper it will look as if you are getting the correct training but in turn you are not. Managers will throw you under the bus to keep themselves afloat and smile at you while they are drowning you. Your job is just that, your job; not a popularity contest, not a kiss your behind festival & most definitely not a place where you thought you were safe, comfortable and you would receive proper training & support from management... But you cannot when the TIGER'S STRIPES BECOME VISIBLE AND YOUR DINNER!!!!
**They have permanently fouled up any opportunity for me to become employed with the state again. My manager failed me.
Pros
Case processing gives that sense of accomplishment, My team was heaven sent.
Cons
Improper training, High turnover rate, Devils living in disguise, mgrs don't care & there isn't a method to the madness, rules change on a daily basis w/o you even knowing, case process changes frequently and w/o notice, Management is never anyone to confide in like they shoud be they will be the first to burn you
Productive and Fun workplace
Enforcement Specialist (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJuly 3, 2014
I can use one word to describe how a typical work day at work would be:Busy; I have learned a lot of information to move forward in my career. I can use two words to describe management “take actions”. I can use one word to describe co-workers "resourceful". The hardest part of the job is dealing with the ADA. The most enjoyable part of the job is the training.
Good company to work for
DHS/DCSS Communication Center Manager (Current Employee) –  Downtown AtlantaMay 13, 2015
Enjoy helping people and making sure the children of Georgia get the support they need. Great work hours. Great opportunities. Awesome benefits.
Pros
Awesome work family, benefits
Cons
Little to no raise
Stable Work Environment Serving Citizens of Georgia
Consultant, Lead Sr. Developer (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GADecember 2, 2014
I stayed at this job for quite a long time. It was a very stable and secure job, and convenient to Conyers via GRTA commuter bus. I was there as a Consultant and worked several major projects. I learned a lot about leading major projects, problem analysis, and being a lead to other developers. I adjusted to several management changes over the years. The hardest part of the job was the requirements gathering process which sometimes delayed project development. I enjoyed my co-workers, some are lifelong friends. The most enjoyable part of the job was knowing I was providing a service to the needy citizens of the state of Georgia.
Pros
Job Stability, Good Commute from Conyers
Cons
Management Inexperience, lack of Department continuity
Typical Social Services environment
Social Services Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Decatur, GADecember 23, 2013
So disorganized and chaotic. There are hardworking people who are over worked, underpaid. Management tries to empathize and does their best. The turnover is too high.
Pros
full time position with benefits
Cons
overworked, underpaid
Very Stressful
Bilingual Customer Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAApril 9, 2014
Typical Day at Work was working from home, Management are corrupt people and they don't care about their employees. Horrible how they treat people that apply for benefits.
Pros
Cons
Horrible
Not a nice place to work
Aging Services Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 27, 2015
Management lacks vision and interpersonal skills. The employees are great but are not supported by managers. Low morale in the department. Could be great if management was responsive and demonstrated that they care about the employees. Employees care about the people they serve and go above the call of duty to resolve client issues. Co-workers generally support each other. Great teamwork!
Pros
Flexible work schedules
Cons
Bad managers
Ficm I
Family Independence Case Manager I (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GASeptember 22, 2014
Assess clients’ needs and establish eligibility for benefits and services such as food stamps and Medicaid.
Manage high volume caseload of clients on a daily basis.
Provide emotional support to clients and report progress to supervisors and administrative managers.
Pros
helping eligible families locate supporting programs to better themselves
Cons
temporary employment
productive and fun
case manager (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GANovember 12, 2015
its a great place to work the people are great and the atmosphere is very family friendly. When you come into the office you are provided with a caseload; you work your cases and you leave with a great feeling that you helped someone today.
Working for the Human Services in Georgia
Case Manager (Current Employee) –  Decatur, GAOctober 14, 2014
A typical day at work it very hectic. It requires multi-tasking and prioritizing multiple things in one day. I learned more about the foster care system and the responsibilities of a Human Service worker.
Pros
flexible lunches
Cons
strenuous issues within upper management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Georgia Department of Human Services. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9