Georgia Department of Juvenile Justice Employee Reviews

General Clerk (Former Employee) –  Augusta, GA 30906September 11, 2017
I enjoyed working on my own without being told what to do I knew my job and the people that I worked with. being a general clerk was fun I looked forward to going to work each day.
Performance and Achievemens
Juvenile Corrections Officer II (Former Employee) –  Waycross, GAAugust 27, 2017
It was a great experience and overall great place to work. You will encounter flaws or obstacles in any industry. At Georgia Department of Juvenile Justice, I was treated as a human being and was given many opportunities to advance within the facility and the industry. I would recommend this job to anyone who's willing to work in an industry that offers competitive wages, benefits, and opportunities for growth throughout the industry.
Pros
Managers are great at buying shifts lunch especially during times of being understaffed
Cons
N/a
Very Political
Business Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJuly 19, 2017
If you are willing to violate policy and hang with the "click" you will do well. Be careful of placing yourself in the wrong place at wrong time, hanging with wrong people, or unwilling to violate procedures as they will place you under investigation. Employees are expendable.
Pros
Cons
Not the best state agency to work for
Terrible environment, total disconnect between mgmt and field staff
Security (Former Employee) –  EastJuly 12, 2017
No support from Central. Stuck in old, redundant processes that require more work than needed. Communication is non-existent and there is an us versus them mindset between Central and field staff. Field employees, the backbone of the organization, are treated poorly and without regard. Retention is non-existent and staff shortages are high due to the treatment of field staff and them leaving out of frustration. If this was a private company, it would be bankrupt. Our tax dollars are being wasted with the colossal mismanagement.
Pros
Absolutely none
Cons
you will work OT but will only accrue FLSA comp time, which is hard to use due to high turnover and staffing shortages.
This job was very stressful
Juvenile Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  College Park, GAJuly 1, 2017
On a typical day, staff may be short which requires you to stay over to the max of 16 hours. Everyone work as a team, but this is an negative environment.
Pros
On 2 days off 3 days a week
Cons
No lunch breaks
This is a Job to keep you inside
Juvenile Corrections Officer (Former Employee) –  GeorgiaJune 20, 2017
The only reason to work here would be if you cant get a job at walmart. Walmart would pay more, less danger they would pay over time. Steer clear at all costs (except shelter).
Pros
Cons
This job is a liability
Worked at DJJ for a couple of years. some good supervisors some bad
Correctional Officer II (Former Employee) –  GeorgiaJune 17, 2017
Very high turnover of officers, i think at this level its more managements fault, you pay for everything to get hired...a physical, training uniforms. I had a friend become ill soon after being hired and was terminated not even allowed to take the Drs release he had by there. Was just told that they did not think this job was for him . He was not even given a chance. We have no crystal ball to tell when illness is going to happen. I left not long after this happened to him after being at different center 2 years. If you want a real job go to Amazon. You get treated like a person not a robot. You dont have to pay to get hired. I spent a small fortune being hired at DJJ. Very stressful due to some supervisors and some in office who think they are supervisors. Its probably a good first job to learn some people skills
Pros
Benifits may be ok
Cons
Management and personel office think they are better than rest of world
It's a good job to work it just what you make of it.
Sgt. Intake Specialist Georgia (Current Employee) –  Macon, GAMay 23, 2017
I have learned a lot while working at DJJ and have met a lot of good people. It give you a chance to move forward in the Dept. Making chances in a youth life.
Stable employment
Institutional Program Director (Former Employee) –  Macon, GA 31217May 2, 2017
I learned how to work with a diverse population. I was also afforded the opportunity to help young offenders. I was able to mentor and council young people. The advancement in the company was not always fair,.
Djj
Program Associate (Current Employee) –  DeKalb County, GAApril 11, 2017
Workdays are good and productive. The management is similar to any other government agency. So far they excel in providing training for new and current employees
Pros
great benefits and trainings
Cons
poor pay and difficult to get hired
Fun and challenging.
Captain (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAApril 5, 2017
Fast pace with troubled teenage youth with emotional, mental and some health problems.Some require more attention than others.
I learned patience and high tolorence to deal with stressful situations.
Cultural was primarily African American, not much diversity with youth or staff.
Staff intergrity and competence to carry their job duties in a honest fashion.
Watching the youth that had the motivation and desire to change and move on to pursue, continue and advance in education and in life. Never give up on life.
Pros
Positive change of youth, growth and acheivement.
Cons
Stronger criteria for the quality of management officials.
Great for gaining experience
Juvenile Correctional Officer (Current Employee) –  GeorgiaFebruary 7, 2017
I truly enjoyed working with the kids. To know that I have an effect on someone's life to do better, is the best feeling. If you can't handle high stress, do not apply.
Career Starter
Juvenile Probation Officer (Current Employee) –  Valdosta, GADecember 21, 2016
Good place to begin career in law enforcement. Room for advancement and ability to interact with different people in the criminal justice system
Dont waste your time, worst place to start a career!
Correctional Officer II (Former Employee) –  Hampton, GA 30228December 13, 2016
Management is horrible in almost all the state facilities. The culture is mostly woman managing all the facilities all in high positions. There juveniles who have committed most horrific crimes are treated like babies so about 95% return. The teen assault staff members and nothing gets done about it. I would not recommend this job to anyone seeking a longevity career. The hours are too long sometimes 18 and 20hrs at some facilities.
Cons
No lunch breaks, always short staff
pleasant and interesting job.
Transportation Driver Utility Van (Current Employee) –  Macon, GADecember 9, 2016
The job as a driver is never boring it is very good for a retired person looking to supplement his or her income.The officers are pleasant to work with.A typical day at work will begin at 6:30 picking children up transporting them to and from school back to there homes.The job is very enjoyable there is nothing hard about it.
A Service Worth Doing
Juvenile Probation Officer (Current Employee) –  Chatsworth, GAOctober 27, 2016
I loved my position and the successes I had in working with delinquent and unruly youth. More than a Probation Officer, I viewed my role as a "Life Instructor" for these youth who needed my time, effort and direction.
Pros
Such a meaningful role to have served in helping youth and their families.
Cons
The bureaucracies of working within State Government.
Geat place to work with people who go above and beyond to help get the job done.
Administrative Support Technician II (Current Employee) –  Thomson, GASeptember 9, 2016
Checking and responding to email, complete reports, filing, scanning and uploading documents, assist co workers nothing is actually hard just time consuming.
Pros
Get to make a difference in a childs life, flexible hours
Cons
High health insurance and low salaries
Fullfilling work assisting youth become law abiding citizens.
Policy Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Savannah, GAAugust 31, 2016
Very good entry level correctional position working with youth that are in the high risk category and in need of services, within the criminal justice system.
Great WorkPlace
Supervisor/Manager (Current Employee) –  Decatur, GAJuly 11, 2016
A typical day as a supervisor within my position consists of interacting with my staff, family and court personnel as needed. Working within this field has provided me with the opportunity to impact the lives of youth in a positive manner. There is no better award in this world. The culture in our office is good which makes it a good place to work. The hardest part of the job is overcoming barriers within the families, so that parents are able to successfully contribute to the rehabilitation of the juveniles.
Pros
Positive changing lives and helping rehabilitate youth
Cons
The Organization is not Competitive with Salaries
Challenging Yet Rewarding
Regional Chaplain (Part-Time) (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 31, 2016
If you like working in corrections, this would be the place for you. There is much that needs to be done, but you have to be in a position to cause the necessary changes.