Georgia Department of Labor Employee Reviews

Fun Place to Work
Employment Consultant/Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Macon, GAJanuary 7, 2016
Great place to work. It was very flexible and the people there are like a family. The only thing the agency needs to work on is higher compensation.
Great place to be but....
DOL Services Specialist (Current Employee) –  GeorgiaDecember 22, 2015
this is a great place to work, but it pays extremely low wages. If you are in need of a job to get bills under control then this job is not for you. They will advertise for a position for unemloyment but the advertised pay will be $2200 a month... "GROSS PAY" not "net pay" which means by the time taxes and whatever health insurance taxes its cut you pretty much dont have anything. Oh and the health insurance is great but its expensive... which puts you a position to choose the worse, the cheapest option available. Depending on how you connect with your coworkers it could be great, but there are the ones in management that dont care about anyone but themselves because they are the manager. Honestly, if you can find another job that pays more go ahead and take it and avoid this place. If they were not forced to pay us... I do believe we would be slaves.
Pros
hour lunches, steady pay and healthcare
Cons
exremely low pay, extremely high cost insurance and poor managment
Great place to work, learn and grow.
DOL Services Specialist (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAOctober 29, 2015
A productive, professional workplace. Great team to work with during my one year temporary experience. There is opportunity for advancement.
Great co-workers and great environment to work in.
Office Assistant (Current Employee) –  Warner Robins, GAOctober 7, 2015
Working at the GDOL was a great experience for me. It has gave me a lot of knowledge and experience. I learned so much important things I didn't know and I needed to know.
It's Ok
U.I. Claims Examiner (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GASeptember 28, 2015
The jobs are easy but tedious. You don't get paid half as much for the same type of jobs as you would in the public sector. Management is ok, except the U.I. division which is crazy. The DOL as a whole is 75% female, and most of your coworkers have been in their positions for 10 plus years. Little room for upward growth unless your sponsored aka know someone. But all in all if you stay to yourself you can make an ok living.
Benefits
Cons
Pay
Great opportunity to obtain a wealth of knowledge
Unemployment Insurance Field Tax Auditor (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAAugust 26, 2015
Definitely a lot to learn. Management supports advancement. Most time, clients are appreciative of being educated on how the law works in regards to unemployment.
Pros
Advancement opportunities, management support, plethora of skills to learn
Cons
Minimal training of all facets of the job
Georgia Dept of labor is is dire need of an upgrade in its approach to improvement of it Public Image as a viabe resource of employee/rmployer matche
Recruiter/Employment Services Specialist (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAAugust 18, 2015
Poor management with very little upward mobility. Georgia Dept. of Labor is s in dire need of a new Public Image. It possess a wealth of great employee potential for companies existing within the State, but has a very poor image among most employers throughout the state. GDO s viewed as a resource for General Labor, when in actuality its database of employees runs the total range from general labor to high tech, etc.
Ample resources to expand your knowledge
Advance Service Specialist (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAAugust 13, 2015
I quickly learned to how adapt to a results driven working environment. All employees provide each other with assistance and expertise, and treat each other like family. Some members of Management is untrustworthy and can also be lazy at times. You must have lots of patience sometimes, to deal with the different individuals that go into the office daily. I will admit sometimes I fear for the employees and other customers safety, because of the way some of the clients come in acting. Sometimes there's a lot of things that's not organized, just put in place by individuals that doesn't have a clue what goes on in the field, but yet they make way more money. Just unfair to be treated like slaves in the field, while they just push pens and make decisions based off how they feel things should go. Looking for another job, just can't take all the work and less pay with high benefits.
Pros
lots of individual face to face meetings with clients, work environment is like one big happy family
Cons
work load sometimes prevents employees to get decent time off. volume of work is most times high
Great state organization! Good benefits and excellent customer service provided.
Unit Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Columbus, GeorgiaAugust 9, 2015
Worked in all areas of agency from clerical to supervision. Acquired vast knowledge of processing unemployment insurance claims, customer service skills (on going training with agency), provided employment counseling and job placement. Good working relationship with co-workers. Excellent team work within my unit! Agency provided excellent training for supervisors. Although we were short-handed on any given day, the office always pulled together to achieve the utmost customer care.
High demanding field
Claims Examiner (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAAugust 5, 2015
Review claims daily. Communicate with claimant's and employers to gather statements regarding claims. It's hard but you can be successful and productive.
Pros
Secret pal within department
Cons
healthcare is to expensive, and lunch breaks are only 30mins.
Productive ad good work place
Employment Service Clerk (Former Employee) –  Jonesboro, GAJuly 29, 2015
The day start off with preparing for the clients as they entry the center. I learn to referral clients to position open in the system and provide information that is needed to clients and to help clients with resetting their pin.
Co-workers was great, fun to work with and helpful when needed. TEAM WORK!!!
The job was not hard, the hardest was dealing with unpleasant clients.
The most enjoyable is knowing that you have help the client and the team work that was accommodated in completing the task for the day.
Pros
Nice breakroom for your lunch time or any break time.
Cons
Some co-workers lacking on the job.
Very Organized
CLAIMS PROCESSING TECHNICIAN (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GaJune 27, 2015
- Processing unemployment claims.

- I learned all ins and outs of unemployment insurance.

-Amazing management team.

- My co-workers were very nice and helpful.

- Hardest part about my job had to be turning down people who did not qualify for unemployment.

-The most enjoyable part about my job had to be helping customers and making their lives a little easier.
Great Company
Conferee (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJune 1, 2015
I love working here. You never will have a boring day. Every day is a new experience and different scenario when dealing with employers and claimants.
Pros
Meet interesting people all day.
Cons
The pay
Environment was versitile
Administrative Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 28, 2015
A typical day at work consisted of answering a multi line switchboard, monitoring surveillance cameras, greeting and assisting walk in customers, creating service requests, filing, light typing, monitoring fire systems monitors, monitoring employee parking payment systems. I learned how to use microsoft excel, microsoft powerpoint and attended numerous training classes on administrative, security and human resources enhancements. The hardest part of the job was dealing with walk in customers who were angry about unemployment decisions, etc. The most enjoyable part of the job was assisting customers.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
military type dictatorship environment
Productive and helpful
Policy and Procedures Analyst (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 28, 2015
Assist customers (internal and external) with questions, train and educate new and old staff on policy changes. Write business requirements for new law changes. I get excited when I can help a customer feel better about being unemployed and ease them through the transition.
Ok for starting off a career
Residentual Tech (Current Employee) –  Warm Springs, GAMay 6, 2015
I found a lot of nepotism. their a lot of people who are related to each other. They also lack diversity in management. My manager does make it great. She seems to know what she is doing. I have good co-works. I have fun with the students.
Pros
Laid Back, Student interaction, and co-workers
Cons
Lack of diversity in management, Nepitism, and disconnect from upper management.
good
Intern (Former Employee) –  Rome, GAApril 7, 2015
great oppurtuinty to help others find work and can be rewarding at the end of the day. hours aren't that great but at least its not retail
Government Culture
Senior Project Manager/Portfolio Manager (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMarch 27, 2015
Government environment, managed multiple projects that I could not have a specific due date for tasks, had to negotiate week for task to be completed. CIO was a political appointment that was not technical. No budgets for me to manage.
Increase employee moral in the workplace
Personnel Analyst (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMarch 26, 2015
In the past few years I have seen employee moral sink as low as I have ever seen it with the state government, I truly think that we need to find inventive ways of bring employees moral back up where you enjoy coming to work and also enjoy the people you work with. The turn over rate has been overwhelming to say the lease. I think that if you offer better benefits and also a increase in better pay that would be the first step in motivating employees not only to work better but to enjoy work and cut down on absentee and relocating to other jobs.
Pros
Nice work environment
Cons
Better pay and benefits
Good company to work for
IT Manager (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMarch 18, 2015
• Manage Data Center Operations and Production Control responsible for on time mainframe functions with focus on proper job stream setup and workflow scheduling.
• Serve as primary point of contact for technical staff and hardware vendors.
• Developed and revised departmental procedure manuals to assist staff in all areas of mainframe operations.
• Generate weekly statistical and department performance reports for senior management review.
• Interface with Help Desk team to provide immediate support on pressing issues.
• Established and implemented training methods to ensure full compliance with departmental policies and procedures.
Pros
Good retirement system
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Georgia Department of Labor. Our community is ready to answer.

Georgia Department of Labor Reviews by Location