Georgia Department of Labor Employee Reviews in United States

Environment was versitile
Administrative Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 28, 2015
A typical day at work consisted of answering a multi line switchboard, monitoring surveillance cameras, greeting and assisting walk in customers, creating service requests, filing, light typing, monitoring fire systems monitors, monitoring employee parking payment systems. I learned how to use microsoft excel, microsoft powerpoint and attended numerous training classes on administrative, security and human resources enhancements. The hardest part of the job was dealing with walk in customers who were angry about unemployment decisions, etc. The most enjoyable part of the job was assisting customers.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
military type dictatorship environment
Professional and pleasant atmosphere
CONTINGENCY CLERK (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAFebruary 17, 2014
A typical day at work included processing state employers tax information. I learned to read tax forms and process tax information. Management and co-workers were pleasant. The hardest part of the job was organizing and keeping up with all documents scanned and processed. The most enjoyable part of the job was working in a pleasant atmosphere.
Pros
extended downtime
Cons
quarterly employment and no healthcare insurance benefits
UI Claims Examiner (Current Employee) –  ATLANTA GAMarch 15, 2012
Georgia department of labor is a wonderful place to work for. It has job security, work and personal life balance, excellent benefits and caring management team.
Pros
excellent benefits
Cons
no cons
High demanding field
Claims Examiner (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAAugust 5, 2015
Review claims daily. Communicate with claimant's and employers to gather statements regarding claims. It's hard but you can be successful and productive.
Pros
Secret pal within department
Cons
healthcare is to expensive, and lunch breaks are only 30mins.
Family oriented ang great benefits
DOL Services Specialist (Current Employee) –  Savannah, GAFebruary 17, 2014
Great place to work and great benefits. Great chance to meet people from all over. Management has a open door policy and very helpful. I enjoy this job because customer service is the main focus and that's something that I love to do.
Challenging yet Rewarding Service Provision
DOL Services Specialist (Current Employee) –  Kings Bay, GANovember 23, 2012
My typical day is dealing with people from all walks of life seeking employment or filing for unemployment insurance. They often need someone to talk with and often career guidance.

While I do not have most of what they seek, I try to encourage them by reminding them that this too shall pass. Everyday is another opportunity for me to do my best to be provide encouragement as they seek new employment or seeking guidance for a new career.

I truly enjoy working with the public at large and employers as they seek to recruit new employees.
Pros
professional, public relations, networking
Cons
angry, irate and misinformed customers
Nice place to work if you're content with never moving up!
Employment Specialist (Former Employee) –  Norcross, GAAugust 8, 2012
For what it's worth, The GDOL is not a bad place to be. You learn a lot about people, about yourself, and how you fit into an organization as large as the Department of Labor. I worked with great people, which was the reason I went to work everyday. Because your work is so dependent on someone else's work (and vice versa), you become accustomed to working well as a team and helping each other out. The hardest part of working in my role is dealing with the public - the angry, unemployed public. Most people were nice, but every once in a while, you encounter an angry monster that turns your whole week upside down. Patience is the key to succeeding at the GDOL!
Pros
lots of birthday cake & other celebrations!
Cons
low wages & costly benefits!
Loved this Job
Administrative Operations Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMarch 4, 2015
This job was very challenging in that there was something new to do everyday along with the regular daily assignments. I learned about state government laws, and administrative regulations along with other areas of state government. I worked directly for 3 CIOs of the information technology department and serviced all of the managers in the division which all worked directly for the Commissioner. My co-workers were very friendly and team oriented which was great.

The hardest part about my job was leaving, which I did in order to care for my sick newborn at the time.

I enjoyed every aspect of my job there was nothing I would have changed about it.
Pros
all aspects
Supervisor
Reemployment Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Decatur, GAMarch 30, 2014
Make sure staff are in place and computers are operational before opening the building.Make sure staff have arrived timely, or if absent,to document their absence in the Daily Attendance Page. Work with my lead workers to assist me in morning the two units; Employment Services and the Reemployment Services. Together we monitor the customer service log to ensure customers are not only placed on the correct log but to also be services in an appropriate amount of time. Work close the other supervisor to provide guidance to a staff of 40 plus the interns. The job is not is not difficult, it is busy work. A lot of paperwork is processes and it has to be monitored to ensure customers unemployment benefits are released timely if eligible or services are keyed by staff with minimum error. I have a great support system from the only other supervisor and Assistant Manager. We do monthly Customer Service and Employee of the month awards to boost morale. Rating of 3.5
Pros
support system
Cons
pay
Productive and helpful
Policy and Procedures Analyst (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 28, 2015
Assist customers (internal and external) with questions, train and educate new and old staff on policy changes. Write business requirements for new law changes. I get excited when I can help a customer feel better about being unemployed and ease them through the transition.
Cool Place to Work
Accountant Paraprofessional (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAApril 24, 2014
A typical day is filled with a little bit of laughter from my coworkers, manager, and supervisor. I learned a number of things started out right out getting my degree in Finance. The hardest part of my job at first was getting use to the claimants probably cussing you out about their unemployment insurance payments. The most enjoyable part of my job was your lunch break period length was determined by you.
Pros
funny manager and supervisor
Cons
healthcare benefits
Job security no growth
Supervisor; Liability Adjudicator Associate (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAOctober 29, 2014
Strong paper environment. Need updated technology. Is secure in job but do not have advance opportunities to grow.
Pros
job security
Cons
slow or no advancement
Typical Work Office
Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Augusta, GANovember 17, 2012
Great place; not much advancement due to budget cuts. Good benefits and coworkers,
Great Company
Conferee (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJune 1, 2015
I love working here. You never will have a boring day. Every day is a new experience and different scenario when dealing with employers and claimants.
Pros
Meet interesting people all day.
Cons
The pay
My day at work.
Accounting Clerk - Accounts Payable (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJuly 22, 2013
My typical day at work involves processing travel advances for employees. Reimbursing employees for miscellaneous expenses. Processing invoices and budgeting accounts. I learned time managment and organizational skills in more detail. My co-workers are extreemely supportive. My job is not hard at all. The most enjoyable part of my job is the independance and flexiablity.
Pros
independance and flexiabity
benefits
Business Environment
Clerical (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAAugust 21, 2013
Typical day at work - very busy

What I learned - something new every day; departmental & policy changes

Management - no comment

Co-Workers - no comment

The hardest part of the job - being the the only staff member in the unit and having additional duties and responsibilities assigned with no supplemental pay.

The most enjoyable part of the job - having a job
Interesting Work Environment
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GADecember 29, 2014
Things operated smoothly in a tight net environment. Worked with a lot of interesting employees and public clients
Pros
free lunches
Cons
micro management
Worked for the State of Georgia as my life's career.
UNEMPLOYMENT INSURANCE TAX AUDITOR II (Former Employee) –  Atlanta and Savannah GAOctober 21, 2014
I worked my way up from File Clerk to Unemployment Insurance Tax Auditor II which was the best job in the Agency. I worked with wonderful people and enjoyed meeting and working with employers.
Pros
excellent benefits
Cons
no perks
Customer Service
Employment Service Specialist (Current Employee) –  Cordele, GANovember 17, 2014
great place to work and very rewarding by helping indiviuals better their life in the work force. I love the mental benifits it offers.
Election Years
DOL Services Specialist (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJuly 2, 2014
An ideal place to work but very demanding with very long hours during a general election year.
Pros
free parking
Cons
long hours during an election year

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Georgia Department of Labor. Our community is ready to answer.