Georgia Department of Natural Resources Employee Reviews

Great place to work during school
GIS analyst (Current Employee), Atlanta, GADecember 18, 2014
Pros: training for current job
Cons: money and extremely boring.
This job helped me prepare for my future with DNR. The job was extremely flexible and I could make my own hours!
Management simply doesnt care
Scientist (Former Employee), Norcross, GADecember 4, 2013
Pros: mostly stable, plenty of time off, 40 hours a week with 0 overtime
Cons: you will most likely never get a raise or be promoted
...in both good ways an bad. A typical day is running (most of the time rerunning) extracts to make sure the water is clean. The paperwork is atrocious. The biggest downside of the place is the down time, which will happen a lot. Unfortunately the moment you become management you forget this fact and treat those who are idle like they're criminals. The amount of work put into pretending to be busy is comical.
State job
Laboratory Scientist II (Former Employee), Atlanta, GANovember 19, 2013
Pros: state holidays and low stress
Cons: benefits low pay
Low stress, work at your own pace. Management has an open door policy. You can gain a wealth of regulatory and environmental laws.
lack of development of its employees.
Fun work place but no advancement opportunities
Marine Tech 1 (hourly) (Current Employee), Brunswick, GANovember 12, 2013
Pros: work outdoors
Cons: lack of leadership
A typical day is started by checking tides and weather conditions. Prepping a boat for use and organizing other hourly workers to be ready for field work. On office days I would enter data into various databases used in managing marine natural resources. Or I would work up any sample that were collected in the field.

I learned about a professional work environment dealing with the public on both a state and national level. I learned how to use various types of marine sampling gear that I was previously unfamiliar with.

Management for my project was good most of the time but lacked clear leadership at times. My boss would not try to micro-manage me. But there would sometimes be communication errors between her and upper management. Co-workers made up for it though they were great people, always willing to teach and be taught themselves.

Hardest part of the job was organizing other peoples schedules so that field work could be done efficiently.

Most enjoyable part of the job was being able to work outside and see lots of different wildlife.
Typical state job
Interpretive Park Ranger (Current Employee), Crawfordville, GANovember 10, 2013
Pros: flexible schedule
You start out at minimum wage and are expected to do much more than your job responsibilities. I'm currently working a job that is entry level 10$ an hour at other parks, but here i'm making minimum wage.
Coworkers are friendly, atmosphere is nice.
Awesome outdoor job.
Certified Peace Officer for the State of Georgia (Former Employee), Macon, GAJuly 10, 2013
Pros: being outdoors.
Cons: having to move.
I loved being in the outdoors being able to see nature and help control the protection and conservation of the natural resources. The hardest part was being far away from family.
Currently suffering from a crisis in leadership.
Park Ranger - GA State Parks (Current Employee), GeorgiaJanuary 11, 2013
Pros: nice people in the field where there is much comradery
Cons: upper management seems incompetent, salaries and benefits are lacking and do not keep up with the cost of living
I've watched the department really slide very quickly from being one of the best to less than stellar. Upper management seems at a loss to right the ship since the 2008 downturn.
You do it for the passion.
Assistant Park Manager (Former Employee), Cartersville, GANovember 19, 2012
Pros: variety, locations, co-workers
Cons: low pay, awful work-life balance
Working as Park Ranger is a job that is only for the passion. The pay is low, you work crazy hours, and are always on call. The payoff is no day is the same, you work in some of the prettiest places and you get to meet and work with some great people. You have the normal red-tape of working for the state, but there is some stability that comes in working for the government.