Georgia Department of Natural Resources Employee Reviews

Productive and great place to work
Human Resource Specialist (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 30, 2017
I handled benefits for all employees with Georgia department of natural resources. It could be stressful at times but the pay and benefits are awesome.
Great experience with very knowledgeable people.
Internship (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJanuary 12, 2017
Had a daily meeting to where I would learn more about how a company operates and what every person would do. I also would learn and gain experience in how to develop a business continuity plan.
Excellent and reliable workplace
Environmental Compliance Specialist (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAOctober 17, 2016
Working for GA DNR/EPD has been a wonderful experience. The workplace is reliable and secure, and the office atmosphere is very professional. Excellent benefits are offered as well as flexibility in your work schedule.
Pros
Benefits, flexibility
Cons
Compensation on the low end for the industry
Emergency Response is a varied and fulfilling position
Environmental Compliance Specialist III (Current Employee) –  Cartersville, GAOctober 14, 2016
I currently work with a small team who are dedicated to our task of remediating environmental hazardous spills.
Work/Life balance is a plus.
Each day has unique and new challenges.
It was a good place to work
technical assistant (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAAugust 4, 2016
It was a good place to work. I enjoyed the people and the experience I received. I was just going to school and had to quit. the only reason I quit.
Pros
good benefits
Cons
not many raises
Relaxed enviroment
Financial Operations Generalist (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GANovember 21, 2015
On some days the work can be heavy but management is very relaxed. Everyone gets along and they make you feel welcome. Not much room for growth but if you like stability then this is the place to be.
Stable Job
Laboratory Manager (Current Employee) –  Norcross, GAOctober 15, 2015
Opportunity to contribute to the health and well being of Georgia citizens by analyzing water, air and soil samples. The job is routine lab work, however opportunities to move throughout the organization is available including non-lab work.
Pros
Awesome lannual and sick leave
Cons
Low pay
Stormwater Technical Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cartersville, GAJune 11, 2015
Enjoyed my 16 and half years total with GA EPD. Great experience. I was able to be blessed with great friends and a boss that is a friend. I received a great opportunity with City of Cartersville and had to leave.
Great place to work during school
GIS analyst (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GADecember 18, 2014
This job helped me prepare for my future with DNR. The job was extremely flexible and I could make my own hours!
Pros
Training for current job
Cons
Money and extremely boring.
Management simply doesnt care
Scientist (Former Employee) –  Norcross, GADecember 4, 2013
...in both good ways an bad. A typical day is running (most of the time rerunning) extracts to make sure the water is clean. The paperwork is atrocious. The biggest downside of the place is the down time, which will happen a lot. Unfortunately the moment you become management you forget this fact and treat those who are idle like they're criminals. The amount of work put into pretending to be busy is comical.
Pros
Mostly stable, Plenty of time off, 40 hours a week with 0 overtime
Cons
You will most likely never get a raise or be promoted

Want to know more about Georgia Department of Natural Resources?

Ask a question
State job
Laboratory Scientist II (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GANovember 19, 2013
Low stress, work at your own pace. Management has an open door policy. You can gain a wealth of regulatory and environmental laws.
lack of development of its employees.
Pros
State holidays and low stress
Cons
Benefits low pay
Fun work place but no advancement opportunities
Marine Tech 1 (hourly) (Current Employee) –  Brunswick, GANovember 12, 2013
A typical day is started by checking tides and weather conditions. Prepping a boat for use and organizing other hourly workers to be ready for field work. On office days I would enter data into various databases used in managing marine natural resources. Or I would work up any sample that were collected in the field.

I learned about a professional work environment dealing with the public on both a state and national level. I learned how to use various types of marine sampling gear that I was previously unfamiliar with.

Management for my project was good most of the time but lacked clear leadership at times. My boss would not try to micro-manage me. But there would sometimes be communication errors between her and upper management. Co-workers made up for it though they were great people, always willing to teach and be taught themselves.

Hardest part of the job was organizing other peoples schedules so that field work could be done efficiently.

Most enjoyable part of the job was being able to work outside and see lots of different wildlife.
Pros
Work outdoors
Cons
lack of leadership
Typical state job
Interpretive Park Ranger (Current Employee) –  Crawfordville, GANovember 10, 2013
You start out at minimum wage and are expected to do much more than your job responsibilities. I'm currently working a job that is entry level 10$ an hour at other parks, but here i'm making minimum wage.
Coworkers are friendly, atmosphere is nice.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Awesome outdoor job.
Certified Peace Officer for the State of Georgia (Former Employee) –  Macon, GAJuly 10, 2013
I loved being in the outdoors being able to see nature and help control the protection and conservation of the natural resources. The hardest part was being far away from family.
Pros
Being outdoors.
Cons
Having to move.
Currently suffering from a crisis in leadership.
Park Ranger - GA State Parks (Current Employee) –  GeorgiaJanuary 11, 2013
I've watched the department really slide very quickly from being one of the best to less than stellar. Upper management seems at a loss to right the ship since the 2008 downturn.
Pros
nice people in the field where there is much comradery
Cons
upper management seems incompetent, salaries and benefits are lacking and do not keep up with the cost of living
You do it for the passion.
Assistant Park Manager (Former Employee) –  Cartersville, GANovember 19, 2012
Working as Park Ranger is a job that is only for the passion. The pay is low, you work crazy hours, and are always on call. The payoff is no day is the same, you work in some of the prettiest places and you get to meet and work with some great people. You have the normal red-tape of working for the state, but there is some stability that comes in working for the government.
Pros
variety, locations, co-workers
Cons
low pay, awful work-life balance