Georgia Department of Public Health Employee Reviews

This was just a 8 month project but not a pleasant one.
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMay 11, 2017
While this was a short term assignment it was nota pleasant experience working for this organization. I was an outsider and not encouraged to engage with the permanent staff. The management seemed disorganized and in professional. It was not a very good experience to work with this group at all.
Pros
The chance to go to Atlanta GA
Cons
not an inclusive work environment. Left no desire to remain.
It's a job.
Social Worker (Current Employee) –  Savannah, GAMarch 26, 2017
it's a job. I like working with the elderly and disabled. it's humbling working with this population. I love providing resources that will help the entire family.
Pros
We can walk for 30 minutes a day.
Cons
harassment
Great Work Environment
Medical Specialist III (Lead Technologist) (Current Employee) –  Decatur, GAMarch 13, 2017
Really enjoy working here. Have learned a lot of molecular sequencing experience that will assist my scientific technical skills. Also learned how to organize a state bench protocol.
Intern
Vulnerable Populations Intern (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAFebruary 23, 2017
The job was okay. The state doesn't really pay much as most of the positions are based on grants. Once the grant is gone, pretty much the position goes with it.
Good environment; loved to worked with children and families
Early Intervention Specialist (Former Employee) –  Dalton, GAJanuary 29, 2017
The most enjoyable part of the job was working with the children; it was so rewarding to see them progressing toward their planned goals. The children impatiently waited for you at their door as if they were ready to a have a big party every week. The engagement with involved families was also great. Training can be improved; co-workers were excellent.
Pros
I was able to control my time as an independent contractor
Cons
Too much driving; it was tiresome to make home visits. Reporting notes and billing were exhausting
There is so much turnover because of the workload
District Administrator/CFO (Current Employee) –  Gainesville, GAJanuary 17, 2017
I did not mind working hard. However, when a person has a specific job to do and then they are tasked with doing the work of others on top of their own job without training it is not easy.
Pros
time off earned
Cons
turnover, no training, extremely political
interesting
RN (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJanuary 10, 2017
work environment is much different than acute care facility; hours mon-fri; allowed to telework on day a week - that is nice. lots of holidays off; no weekends, no nights; some travel.
Job
Intern - Perinatal HIV testing initiative (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAOctober 26, 2016
Basically working at GDPH was enjoyable. The atmosphere at work is nice. I did not have any problems and my coworkers were awesome.
Nutrition Program Manager (Current Employee) –  Cartersville, GAAugust 16, 2016
I love working for Georgia Department of Public Health. It provided with knowledge I can take with me in my future career.
Productive and fun workplace
Administrative Assistant I (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMarch 23, 2016
i enjoy working with Vital Records. I really learned a lot of different things that goes on with Births, Death, and Marriage.
Pros
Different activities
Cons
Long drive
Productive and resourceful health-related
Public health clerical volunteer (Current Employee) –  Augusta, GADecember 30, 2015
answer and forward calls
file confidential information; cabinet filing and computer data base
participate in health fairs and disaster practices
Pros
very infromative
Cons
excessive information
Great learning and working environment.
Intern - Division of Health Protection, STD Office (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GASeptember 12, 2015
Great learning environment with confident and well trained co-workers that are willing to help incoming personnel learn the job.
Internship only
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAAugust 17, 2015
I was only an intern, but the public health interns staff offered my cohort a red carpet worthy welcome. Superior work culture and on site benefits like exercise facilities and time allotment, and a lactation room for mothers.
Pros
Employee benefits and amenities
Cons
Not the easiest hieraarchical organization to navigate
Laid back environment
Human Resources Generalist (Former Employee) –  Gainesville, GAJuly 28, 2015
Laid back place to work, but poor management. Lack of advancement and lot of shady behavior. Pay isn't up to par and the people in the office aren't as friendly as they should be. No trust.
Pros
Laid back
Cons
Shady behavior, poor pay
The job is to stressful
ADAP/HICP Eligibility Manager (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJuly 8, 2015
That company don't keep the good employees. The company doesn't recognizes good work ethic from their employees that been there more than 5 years.
Excellent employer
Program Consultant (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJune 26, 2015
DPH is a great place to work with a great mission. Protect, Prevent and Improve public health in Georgia

Benefits are great
Very professional environment
Excellent team work and collaboration
Perfect for soap opera fodder
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Savannah GAJanuary 8, 2015
The work hours of 9-5 and generous holidays are nice. HR will NOT tell you that you need to keep 40 hours of vacation pay on the books in order to get direct deposit, and KEEP those 40 hours once you get direct deposit. Management doesn't tell you that either, but then again, they are rarely there in order to tell anyone much of anything helpful. But that is ok-you will have coworkers that will tell you plenty and talk plenty about you behind your back. Lackeys report to management and are rewarded for doing so with 'merit raises' that no one else seems to get merit. The switchboard would rather come up front and belittle/bully the staff (not her job, by the way) with her 'in your face, I am right always' attitude. Maybe the reason she is in the back...out of public view, but on her personal phone gossiping about what happens at work. Nursing management refuses to tell her anything, which IS the management's job. Include low pay, no set lunch hours since the clinic is open all the day, add a generous sprinkle of office love affairs, delete any training or advancement potential and you have one new clinic that only received a public facelift but still can't get their heating or hot water working.
Pros
New working atmosphere
Cons
Gossip, drama and lack of functional mangement
Job is boring and coworkers will backstab you
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Eisenhower, Savannah GAJanuary 6, 2015
The turnover rate is high and management wonders why. It's not just the low pay and so so benefits. It's drama, backstabbing and gossip. If the people that had been there longer would learn to be more productive, they would have less time to gossip. In addition, if more training was available, employees would be more productive. Maybe. Management depends on lackeys who want to be management to feed them information vs actually being there. And if you cross these lackeys, you will find yourself on the chopping block. Nor should one try to do the right thing at the clinic that was recently renovated-a new building doesn't mean a new attitude. The switchboard acts like she knows it all,yet has been moved from one department to another-and wonder why no one wants to work with her-the phone is the last place to put her. She likes to come to the front and tell people how to do their work yet no one wants her up there. Her holier than thou in your face bully style has not place in the modern work environment, but so-called management lets her do whatever. She prefers to answer her personal phone vs the business phone. Nursing management plays at being busy but refuses to make real decisions because she is worried about hurting any feelings, including the switchboard. And medical is a former drunks who almost lost his license and why he is not a real dr in the real world. The yearly evaluations are jokes unless they want to fire you. One individual got the highest marks for 'supervisor' yet was fired less than one month later for 'failure to manage his people'. So much for HIS manager's  more... opinion. Guess former coworker's could not save him yet one more time.  less
Pros
Regular working hours and generous state holidays
Cons
No regulated lunch hours due to always being open, lack of true management
You don't know from one day to the next who will be the next employee to be let go!
PHN Specialist (Former Employee) –  NCHDDecember 16, 2014
Due to the management of NCHC Public Health many good nurses have resigned or have been asked to resign for no good reason.
I understand recently even the Nurse Clinical Director has been asked to leave maybe now things will be better! I hope so- for the future of Public Health in Macon and the 13 counties they manage. Maybe now they can work on getting a new Medical Director.
NCHD needs a major audit of where all the state and federal funds have gone over the past 10 years.
Pros
Monday through Friday with holidays off, some of the clients are very appreciative for the care and assistance we give.
Cons
Poor Management, Low pay and only get paid once a month, cost of health insurance and benefits
Vital Records is a great place to work, also my co-workers are great with to. And the management is nice aswell.
Program Associate (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GeorgiaNovember 13, 2014
Vital Records is a great place to work, also my co-workers are great to with aswell. And managers are nice. I been employed with the Department since 1986. And the hardest part about my is sometime waiting information to in the office.
Pros
Vital Records is a great company to work for.
Cons
Sometime waiting on information to come in the office.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Georgia Department of Public Health. Our community is ready to answer.

Georgia Department of Public Health Reviews by Location