Georgia Department of Public Health

Georgia Department of Public Health Employer Reviews

Job is boring and coworkers will backstab you
Clerk (Former Employee), Eisenhower, Savannah GAJanuary 6, 2015
Pros: regular working hours and generous state holidays
Cons: no regulated lunch hours due to always being open, lack of true management
The turnover rate is high and management wonders why. It's not just the low pay and so so benefits. It's drama, backstabbing and gossip. If the people that had been there longer would learn to be more productive, they would have less time to gossip. In addition, if more training was available, employees would be more productive. Maybe. Management depends on lackeys who want to be management to feed them information vs actually being there. And if you cross these lackeys, you will find yourself on the chopping block. Nor should one try to do the right thing at the clinic that was recently renovated-a new building doesn't mean a new attitude. The switchboard acts like she knows it all,yet has been moved from one department to another-and wonder why no one wants to work with her-the phone is the last place to put her. She likes to come to the front and tell people how to do their work yet no one wants her up there. Her holier than thou in your face bully style has not place in the modern work environment, but so-called management lets her do whatever. She prefers to answer her personal phone vs the business phone. Nursing management plays at being busy but refuses to make real decisions because she is worried about hurting any feelings, including the switchboard. And medical is a former drunks who almost lost his license and why he is not a real dr in the real world. The yearly evaluations are jokes unless they want to fire you. One individual got the highest marks for 'supervisor' yet was fired less than one month later for 'failure to manage his people'. So much for HIS manager's opinion. Guess former coworker's could not save him yet one more time.
You don't know from one day to the next who will be the next employee to be let go!
PHN Specialist (Former Employee), NCHDDecember 16, 2014
Pros: monday through friday with holidays off, some of the clients are very appreciative for the care and assistance we give.
Cons: poor management, low pay and only get paid once a month, cost of health insurance and benefits
Due to the management of NCHC Public Health many good nurses have resigned or have been asked to resign for no good reason.
I understand recently even the Nurse Clinical Director has been asked to leave maybe now things will be better! I hope so- for the future of Public Health in Macon and the 13 counties they manage. Maybe now they can work on getting a new Medical Director.
NCHD needs a major audit of where all the state and federal funds have gone over the past 10 years.
Vital Records is a great place to work, also my co-workers are great with to. And the management is nice aswell.
Program Associate (Current Employee), Atlanta, GeorgiaNovember 13, 2014
Pros: vital records is a great company to work for.
Cons: sometime waiting on information to come in the office.
Vital Records is a great place to work, also my co-workers are great to with aswell. And managers are nice. I been employed with the Department since 1986. And the hardest part about my is sometime waiting information to in the office.
Never a dull moment but no place for advancement
Secretary (Former Employee), Savannah GASeptember 1, 2014
Pros: security cameras watching every move
Cons: drama, low pay, poor management
The lack of management never being there is nice if you are like most of them that have been there a while and prefer not to work. Savannah on Eisenhower is not the place for a productive worker unless one wishes to produce drama. The one thing the long time employees there are good for is stirring up the pot and gossiping. And since management is never there and depends on feedback from the person who watches your every move via security camera, even on his days off, it makes you wonder why even bother with an administrator.
Job is very rewarding
Administrative Operations Coordinator II (Current Employee), Jonesboro, GAJune 11, 2014
I can honestly say I love helping people which makes my job so rewarding. At the end of my work day, I know that I have made a difference in someone's life.
state goverment
Contact Monitor (Former Employee), Atlanta, GAMay 11, 2014
a very different place to work. worked there for 3 years. Great place to work in the field of HIV AIDS
Great place to learn
Volunteer Position STD Unit (Former Employee), Atlanta, GAApril 13, 2014
Pros: learned a lot from manangement
Cons: was only volunteer
Typical day is filled with collecting information for certain STD's
GDPH
NHBS (Current Employee), Atlanta, GAMarch 5, 2014
Low stress work environment. Management is excellent. Enjoyable part are team meetings when discussing progress of project study
Productive yet unprofessional work environment
Public Health (Former Employee), Atlanta, GAFebruary 25, 2014
Pros: healthcare exposure
Cons: drama
Our office was more of a friendly environment versus work environment. There were many issues with employees offending their neighbors with their personal phone conversations. People got along fairly well but there would always be some form of drama each week. Being the youngest in the office, I stayed clear of the heat and tried to get my work done. My direct supervisor was an absolute doll! Very understanding and kind.
Any thing can happen!
District Epidemiologist (Current Employee), GaOctober 19, 2013
Work with infectious diseases that are reported to the Georiga Dept. of Public Health.
Overall is a good place to work but their is no room to grow.
Program Associate/Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee), Atlanta, GASeptember 27, 2013
A typical day starts by checking my emails returning phone calls.
I learn Georgia Laws and Codes when it comes to making changes on birth certificates and Death Certificates. My supervisor was great learn a lot in the Seven years I was employed. My co-workers where great. The hardest part of this job was the amount of work a day and trying to keep up with the volume of visitors we had. The most enjoyable part of this job was meeting all this wonderful people and trying to help every single one.
Great people to work with
Lead Hazard Control Program Database Specialist (Former Employee), Atlanta, GASeptember 26, 2013
Typical day at work is working at the computer doing my work
I learned about about how lead affects the brains of developing children and that it is best if lead is not in a house where children under 6 yrs old are living.
I also learned about public health policies in different departments.
Management and co-workers are nice to be around.
Job Description
Budget Management and Development Intern I (Current Employee), 2 PeachtreeAugust 20, 2013
Deal with the Day-to-day Operation of the budget department
Internship
Intern (Former Employee), Atlanta, GAJune 27, 2013
Pros: set my own hours
Cons: no compensation
On any given day, I would come into work and start data entry of lab reports into our central database, or analysis later. Other days, I was tasked to run data analysis on Hepatitis A, B and C patients for breakdowns on demographics, age and risky behaviors. I learned a great deal on the hepatitis world and what is being done to help prevent this disease.
Supportive workplace and interesting projects
Data Analyst (Current Employee), Atlanta, GAJune 21, 2013
DPH is supportive and provides several interesting trainings and promotes internal and external dept. collaboration. My coworkers are very invested in their depts. and projects. The biggest difficulty I find, is the lack of variety in my work and the current instability of my program. I conduct alot of surveys and interacting with the public.
Productive workplace
Operations Analyst I (Current Employee), Atlanta, GAFebruary 14, 2013
-The most enjoyable part of the job is keep GA healthy
-A typical day at work is making sure our health districts are trained in different areas
-I have learned a lot dealing with Public Health and particularly Tuberculosis
Hostile environment at times
Data Processor (Current Employee), Decatur, GAOctober 3, 2012
Pros: flexibilty
Cons: poor management
The job is a easy position the work environment with co-workers is at time hostile.
Great place to develop new skills
Professional Healthcare Worker (Current Employee), Atlanta, GAJune 3, 2012
Cons: no pay increases, unless transferred to a different position
Great place to develop new skills. Other job opportunities are always available for advancement. Not a stressful environment, and it's been great working with my current co-workers. Management could use improvement in coordinating day to day operations, and communications. Overall it's a good job.
Good benefits with great learning experiences
Nutritionist (Current Employee), Griffin,Ga; Zebulon,Ga; and Barnsville,GaMarch 7, 2012
Pros: benefits, co workers
Cons: no pay increase, (state budget)
This State Employee job has been a great eye opening experience. It has allowed me to become more dynamic in my working environment by allowing me to handle multiple task and network/collaborate through other networks and facilities. This job offers great benefits along with a great working environment.