Georgia Department of Public Health Employee Reviews in United States

Internship only
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAAugust 17, 2015
I was only an intern, but the public health interns staff offered my cohort a red carpet worthy welcome. Superior work culture and on site benefits like exercise facilities and time allotment, and a lactation room for mothers.
Pros
Employee benefits and amenities
Cons
Not the easiest hieraarchical organization to navigate
Laid back environment
Human Resources Generalist (Former Employee) –  Gainesville, GAJuly 28, 2015
Laid back place to work, but poor management. Lack of advancement and lot of shady behavior. Pay isn't up to par and the people in the office aren't as friendly as they should be. No trust.
Pros
Laid back
Cons
Shady behavior, poor pay
Perfect for soap opera fodder
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Savannah GAJanuary 8, 2015
The work hours of 9-5 and generous holidays are nice. HR will NOT tell you that you need to keep 40 hours of vacation pay on the books in order to get direct deposit, and KEEP those 40 hours once you get direct deposit. Management doesn't tell you that either, but then again, they are rarely there in order to tell anyone much of anything helpful. But that is ok-you will have coworkers that will tell you plenty and talk plenty about you behind your back. Lackeys report to management and are rewarded for doing so with 'merit raises' that no one else seems to get merit. The switchboard would rather come up front and belittle/bully the staff (not her job, by the way) with her 'in your face, I am right always' attitude. Maybe the reason she is in the back...out of public view, but on her personal phone gossiping about what happens at work. Nursing management refuses to tell her anything, which IS the management's job. Include low pay, no set lunch hours since the clinic is open all the day, add a generous sprinkle of office love affairs, delete any training or advancement potential and you have one new clinic that only received a public facelift but still can't get their heating or hot water working.
Pros
new working atmosphere
Cons
gossip, drama and lack of functional mangement
You don't know from one day to the next who will be the next employee to be let go!
PHN Specialist (Former Employee) –  NCHDDecember 16, 2014
Due to the management of NCHC Public Health many good nurses have resigned or have been asked to resign for no good reason.
I understand recently even the Nurse Clinical Director has been asked to leave maybe now things will be better! I hope so- for the future of Public Health in Macon and the 13 counties they manage. Maybe now they can work on getting a new Medical Director.
NCHD needs a major audit of where all the state and federal funds have gone over the past 10 years.
Pros
monday through friday with holidays off, some of the clients are very appreciative for the care and assistance we give.
Cons
poor management, low pay and only get paid once a month, cost of health insurance and benefits
Productive and resourceful health-related
Public health clerical volunteer (Current Employee) –  Augusta, GADecember 30, 2015
answer and forward calls
file confidential information; cabinet filing and computer data base
participate in health fairs and disaster practices
Pros
very infromative
Cons
excessive information
Excellent employer
Program Consultant (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJune 26, 2015
DPH is a great place to work with a great mission. Protect, Prevent and Improve public health in Georgia

Benefits are great
Very professional environment
Excellent team work and collaboration
Job is boring and coworkers will backstab you
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Eisenhower, Savannah GAJanuary 6, 2015
The turnover rate is high and management wonders why. It's not just the low pay and so so benefits. It's drama, backstabbing and gossip. If the people that had been there longer would learn to be more productive, they would have less time to gossip. In addition, if more training was available, employees would be more productive. Maybe. Management depends on lackeys who want to be management to feed them information vs actually being there. And if you cross these lackeys, you will find yourself on the chopping block. Nor should one try to do the right thing at the clinic that was recently renovated-a new building doesn't mean a new attitude. The switchboard acts like she knows it all,yet has been moved from one department to another-and wonder why no one wants to work with her-the phone is the last place to put her. She likes to come to the front and tell people how to do their work yet no one wants her up there. Her holier than thou in your face bully style has not place in the modern work environment, but so-called management lets her do whatever. She prefers to answer her personal phone vs the business phone. Nursing management plays at being busy but refuses to make real decisions because she is worried about hurting any feelings, including the switchboard. And medical is a former drunks who almost lost his license and why he is not a real dr in the real world. The yearly evaluations are jokes unless they want to fire you. One individual got the highest marks for 'supervisor' yet was fired less than one month later for 'failure to manage his people'. So much for HIS manager's  more... opinion. Guess former coworker's could not save him yet one more time.  less
Pros
regular working hours and generous state holidays
Cons
no regulated lunch hours due to always being open, lack of true management
Great place to develop new skills
Professional Healthcare Worker (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJune 3, 2012
Great place to develop new skills. Other job opportunities are always available for advancement. Not a stressful environment, and it's been great working with my current co-workers. Management could use improvement in coordinating day to day operations, and communications. Overall it's a good job.
Cons
no pay increases, unless transferred to a different position
Great learning and working environment.
Intern - Division of Health Protection, STD Office (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GASeptember 12, 2015
Great learning environment with confident and well trained co-workers that are willing to help incoming personnel learn the job.
Never a dull moment but no place for advancement
Secretary (Former Employee) –  Savannah GASeptember 1, 2014
The lack of management never being there is nice if you are like most of them that have been there a while and prefer not to work. Savannah on Eisenhower is not the place for a productive worker unless one wishes to produce drama. The one thing the long time employees there are good for is stirring up the pot and gossiping. And since management is never there and depends on feedback from the person who watches your every move via security camera, even on his days off, it makes you wonder why even bother with an administrator.
Pros
security cameras watching every move
Cons
drama, low pay, poor management
The job is to stressful
ADAP/HICP Eligibility Manager (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJuly 8, 2015
That company don't keep the good employees. The company doesn't recognizes good work ethic from their employees that been there more than 5 years.
Good benefits with great learning experiences
Nutritionist (Current Employee) –  Griffin,Ga; Zebulon,Ga; and Barnsville,GaMarch 7, 2012
This State Employee job has been a great eye opening experience. It has allowed me to become more dynamic in my working environment by allowing me to handle multiple task and network/collaborate through other networks and facilities. This job offers great benefits along with a great working environment.
Pros
benefits, co workers
Cons
no pay increase, (state budget)
Great people to work with
Lead Hazard Control Program Database Specialist (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GASeptember 26, 2013
Typical day at work is working at the computer doing my work
I learned about about how lead affects the brains of developing children and that it is best if lead is not in a house where children under 6 yrs old are living.
I also learned about public health policies in different departments.
Management and co-workers are nice to be around.
Internship
Intern (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJune 27, 2013
On any given day, I would come into work and start data entry of lab reports into our central database, or analysis later. Other days, I was tasked to run data analysis on Hepatitis A, B and C patients for breakdowns on demographics, age and risky behaviors. I learned a great deal on the hepatitis world and what is being done to help prevent this disease.
Pros
set my own hours
Cons
no compensation
Vital Records is a great place to work, also my co-workers are great with to. And the management is nice aswell.
Program Associate (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GeorgiaNovember 13, 2014
Vital Records is a great place to work, also my co-workers are great to with aswell. And managers are nice. I been employed with the Department since 1986. And the hardest part about my is sometime waiting information to in the office.
Pros
vital records is a great company to work for.
Cons
sometime waiting on information to come in the office.
Gdph
NHBS (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAMarch 5, 2014
Low stress work environment. Management is excellent. Enjoyable part are team meetings when discussing progress of project study
Overall is a good place to work but their is no room to grow.
Program Associate/Customer Service Specialist (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GASeptember 27, 2013
A typical day starts by checking my emails returning phone calls.
I learn Georgia Laws and Codes when it comes to making changes on birth certificates and Death Certificates. My supervisor was great learn a lot in the Seven years I was employed. My co-workers where great. The hardest part of this job was the amount of work a day and trying to keep up with the volume of visitors we had. The most enjoyable part of this job was meeting all this wonderful people and trying to help every single one.
Productive yet unprofessional work environment
Public Health (Former Employee) –  Atlanta, GAFebruary 25, 2014
Our office was more of a friendly environment versus work environment. There were many issues with employees offending their neighbors with their personal phone conversations. People got along fairly well but there would always be some form of drama each week. Being the youngest in the office, I stayed clear of the heat and tried to get my work done. My direct supervisor was an absolute doll! Very understanding and kind.
Pros
healthcare exposure
Cons
drama
Hostile environment at times
Data Processor (Current Employee) –  Decatur, GAOctober 3, 2012
The job is a easy position the work environment with co-workers is at time hostile.
Pros
flexibilty
Cons
poor management
Supportive workplace and interesting projects
Data Analyst (Current Employee) –  Atlanta, GAJune 21, 2013
DPH is supportive and provides several interesting trainings and promotes internal and external dept. collaboration. My coworkers are very invested in their depts. and projects. The biggest difficulty I find, is the lack of variety in my work and the current instability of my program. I conduct alot of surveys and interacting with the public.

Georgia Department of Public Health Reviews by Location